PDA

View Full Version : Is my silicone serum breaking me out?

archel
November 7th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I usually sleep with my hair pulled back and I wear it up most every day, but that's the main thing I changed when this breaking out started (aside from the hormonal one on my chin, but the rest are around my hair line).

I don't want to stop using the coney goodness, my hair is so tangle free!!

Rockmoss
November 7th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I know silicone based makeup can cause me to break out. I stop it from causing acne by exfoliating and cleaning my clean very well before bed. I use aloe gel all over my face which helps (I also put it in my hair). I'd try putting aloe around my hair line, maybe it can create a barrier through the night so the product doesn't shift. You could also try changing your pillow case nightly, in case the product transfers that way.

archel
November 7th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Ugh I have a Tempurpedic pillow and the cases are expensive.

It's weird, I use a silicone based primer and a foundation with silicone - no problem! So I just don't get it...

Rockmoss
November 8th, 2011, 08:23 PM
How about trying a hand towel over your pillow at night. Try the aloe though :D

Slinks
November 8th, 2011, 09:02 PM
silicone serum .. hmmmm I want me some, what's the name of the one you are using .. I look at these serums all the time but they are usually Keratin and/or protien which I don't want in my hair .. I did get Garnia's Sleek and Shine ??? serum but I'm not truely happy with that ..

ETA: I don't mean to hijack the thread :-)

DreamDance
November 8th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I usually sleep with my hair pulled back and I wear it up most every day, but that's the main thing I changed when this breaking out started (aside from the hormonal one on my chin, but the rest are around my hair line).

I have a reaction to silcone that is similar to yours. I actually went to an allergist at one point and was diagnosed with silicone sensitivity. I use a heavy conditioner that gives me a lot of slip and leave that in instead of using a coney leave-in.

silicone serum .. hmmmm I want me some, what's the name of the one you are using .. I look at these serums all the time but they are usually Keratin and/or protien which I don't want in my hair .. I did get Garnia's Sleek and Shine ??? serum but I'm not truely happy with that ..

ETA: I don't mean to hijack the thread :-)

In the "ethnic" section of drug stores there's a product line called "Argan Oil" It's not pure argan oil and has dimethicone in it, I believe. My sister swears it is the best serum ever. She has 2a F iii hair. It is the only thing she found that keeps her hair tangle free. She wears it down daily and does not have a silicone problem.

Slinks
November 8th, 2011, 10:53 PM
In the "ethnic" section of drug stores there's a product line called "Argan Oil" It's not pure argan oil and has dimethicone in it, I believe. My sister swears it is the best serum ever. She has 2a F iii hair. It is the only thing she found that keeps her hair tangle free. She wears it down daily and does not have a silicone problem.
Argon oil I'm allergic to !! boo hoo !! I love that stuff but I break out in hives .. I gave it away to a fellow aussie LHC - er :cheese:

DreamDance
November 9th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Argon oil I'm allergic to !! boo hoo !! I love that stuff but I break out in hives .. I gave it away to a fellow aussie LHC - er :cheese:
EESH! well don't use that then... Have you tried fantasia polishing serum?

Amber_Maiden
November 9th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Huh. I use silicone leave in stuff and it doesn't break me out... Makeup with it in it does though...

FrozenBritannia
November 9th, 2011, 08:23 PM

Could it be a change in weather? Maybe your scalp is releasing more/less sebum than usual? How do you use the serum? Maybe just try keeping it away from your hairline by applying it only to the ends and sleeping with a high bun in? :confused:

Slinks
November 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
EESH! well don't use that then... Have you tried fantasia polishing serum?
Hmmm I wonder if that is available here in Ozland .. will have to look thanks !!

Could it be a change in weather? Maybe your scalp is releasing more/less sebum than usual? How do you use the serum? Maybe just try keeping it away from your hairline by applying it only to the ends and sleeping with a high bun in? :confused:
Good idea :-)

luxepiggy
November 11th, 2011, 03:04 AM
It's unlikely that silicone is the culprit, especially since you use other silicone-based products without issues. Could it be one of the other ingredients in the serum?