PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL daily washing thread

JellyBene
November 7th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Anyone out there wash their hair every day? I try to do every other day but after trying to stretch washes literally for years, my hair is still all greasy as soon as the second day hits. I know with all the diverse hair care routines on her I can't be alone! Anyone else?

DreamDance
November 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Me! I CO wash my hair every morning, and put coconut oil in it every night. I shampoo my hair with a sulfate free if my scalp gets too bad and clarify about once every 2 months. I can't stand having an oily scalp, my hair is so fine that one day will make the top of my head look like I'm homeless or, at the very least my water has been turned off.

Rocket22
November 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'm in! I try and go longer but I just can't. My hair is too fine and needs the fluff from the washing. Plus, for some reason if I don't wash my hair nothing seems to come together right? :)

battles
November 7th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I haven't managed to stretch washes yet, and I've been washing my hair daily foreverrrr. I wish I didn't have to. :(

DreamDance
November 7th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I haven't managed to stretch washes yet, and I've been washing my hair daily foreverrrr. I wish I didn't have to. :(

I actually really like washing my hair every day, which is probably the main reason I have never made it out too far away from 2-3 days of stretching washes any time I try. It makes me feel pampered and clean and often it's the only time I get to take for myself in a day!

battles
November 7th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I actually really like washing my hair every day, which is probably the main reason I have never made it out too far away from 2-3 days of stretching washes any time I try. It makes me feel pampered and clean and often it's the only time I get to take for myself in a day!

I just have this aversion to wet hair.. I don't like it touching me, so washing every day means I have to deal with wet hair on my neck/back every day. :o This is mostly why I've kept my hair short for most of my life.

I do love showering daily, but I just can't stand washing my hair all the time. :laugh:

CurlyCap
November 7th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I'm currently debating starting to wash my hair everday.

Growing up, I was taught to wash my hair once a week. Usually it was worn in protective braid. As a kid, my hair was only wet once a week (unless I got wet playing).

In my 20s, I learned that my hair likes co-washing, and started wetting and conditioning my hair every day. My moisture level went up and I'm so much happier with my curls.

But lately I've just like shampooing more often. Lately it's been every 3 days, and I'm sort of shocked! I bought my first bottle of daily use shampoo, and I sort of feel like I'm stepping off the deep end.

I've decided I'll try it for a week and see how I and my hair feels. It's a big change, but I'm up for a little (minor) adventure. :D

DreamDance
November 8th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I'm currently debating starting to wash my hair everday.

Growing up, I was taught to wash my hair once a week. Usually it was worn in protective braid. As a kid, my hair was only wet once a week (unless I got wet playing).

In my 20s, I learned that my hair likes co-washing, and started wetting and conditioning my hair every day. My moisture level went up and I'm so much happier with my curls.

But lately I've just like shampooing more often. Lately it's been every 3 days, and I'm sort of shocked! I bought my first bottle of daily use shampoo, and I sort of feel like I'm stepping off the deep end.

I've decided I'll try it for a week and see how I and my hair feels. It's a big change, but I'm up for a little (minor) adventure. :D

My son and my husband both have very curly hair as well. I have to wet my son's hair down daily or it's a huge poof ball! no shampoo for him though, that would cause major tangles.

LadyInBlack
November 8th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I wash every day. My hair is very wavy. almost curly, and looks weird if I don't. I have tried CO and that just did not produce good results at all. So daily washing it is!

XcaliburGirl
November 8th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I like washing every day too. It helps me wake up in the morning. I tried stretching washes, but my head was itchy and sweaty and it just felt uncomfortable. Eventually I might go back to CO-washing daily and shampooing weekly to cut down on the drying effects of shampoo. However, I don't think I'll try stretching washes again.

The only downside is that when my hair gets long, I put it in a bun and it doesn't actually dry until I take it down at night.

long
November 8th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I wash every day. I have tried to stretch washes but it never works with my scalp and oily roots.
I love the feel of clean hair. I use a mild shampoo and always condition the ends.

HairFaerie
November 8th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Yup. I wash my hair every day in the shower.....with really HOT water too! :eyebrows:

EmiliaF
November 8th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I am back to washing every day. After trying to stretch washes for 10 months, I've given up and am also back to using regular shampoo and conditioner.
I just love wearing my hair down too much... stretching washes meant keeping it ins buns and I've noticed that neither the bunning nor the stretching-washes made any difference in the 'quality' of my hair... the only difference was that I couldn't just wear it down whenever I felt like it...

kittymallow
November 8th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I loooooooove washing my hair so i wash everyday and cant stop.. feels like an addiction.. some years ago i washed once or twice a week, but i cant do that anymore.. or i will not do that.. loving the feeling of water running over my hair:P

MungoMania
November 8th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I shampoo and condition daily too. Stretching washes never worked for me. The buildup on my scalp from trying to stretch washes was really yucky. Also I love the way my freshly shampooed hair smells. One of life's little pleasures. ;)

Mopolop
November 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I'm in. :) I CO wash most days, shampoo about once a week. If I don't wash my hair, my scalp gets really itchy and the ends get dry...

Also I love the way my freshly shampooed hair smells. One of life's little pleasures.

Yup yup :D

Libbylou
November 8th, 2011, 03:19 PM
On work days I wash every day. Usually on days off I do I skip a day. I work in a dusty, dirty environment.

JellyBene
November 8th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I am glad to see I am not alone. feel free to share what you use to wash your hair daily :)

Lunarise
November 8th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I CO wash my scalp everyday with l'oreal eversleek and add a bit of the shampoo for my bangs. I try desperately to stretch washes... but I always end up washing it. I can't go to work with greasy hair! Putting it up just doesn't help hide the greasies.

DreamDance
November 8th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I am glad to see I am not alone. feel free to share what you use to wash your hair daily :)

I'm trying to use up my products at the moment, but I just found a couple that I really don't like so I may revert to the favorites I finally found.

I CO my scalp daily with suave naturals in whatever pick of the week scent I feel like. I use a huge handful, almost a 1/3 cup so I go through the big bottles every couple weeks.

Then I use a richer conditioner on my length. I usually alternate between Burt's Bees Pomegranate Conditioner (which has protein) and Sally Beauty Supply's Generic Value Product Conditioning Balm. Which gives me great slip and makes detangling a breeze. I use another dime size amount of the richer conditioner as a leave-in after a good long thorough rinsing.

When my roots start getting gummy I use M.O.P (modern organic products) "C" Shampoo which is sulfate free. Every few weeks - 2 months when I start getting build-up I use whatever sulfate based shampoo I have in the house at the moment to clarify.

Every night I comb about 1/2 a teaspoon of coconut oil through my hair.

Those are my products.

battles
November 8th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I use shampoo bars and an ACV rinse. I haven't quite figured out how to best use them for my hair type yet, but hopefully I'll get that figured out soon. :)

Shimmy
November 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I shampoo & condition every day........... I use Lush Big mainly & Jungle bar conditioner

Nadiner
November 12th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I'd like to join this thread :)

I've had to wash my hair every day for possibly...3 years or now so? After the 24th hour hits it just looks like i've dipped my head in a chip pan or something :D doesn't help my sister nicknames me "slick rick" when I get greasy hair.

It gets me down sometimes, cause I feel that I obsess about growth too much because of it and that I have to plan everything in advance so I don't have disgusting hair going somewhere. :rolleyes:

At the minute I'm using the Herbal Tousle me softly shampoo and conditioner to try and give my naturally wavy hair a chance, but it just turns into a frizz ball ): I'm trying to stay away from heat products.

JellyBene
November 12th, 2011, 07:50 PM

I've had to wash my hair every day for possibly...3 years or now so? After the 24th hour hits it just looks like i've dipped my head in a chip pan or something :D doesn't help my sister nicknames me "slick rick" when I get greasy hair.

It gets me down sometimes, cause I feel that I obsess about growth too much because of it and that I have to plan everything in advance so I don't have disgusting hair going somewhere. :rolleyes:

At the minute I'm using the Herbal Tousle me softly shampoo and conditioner to try and give my naturally wavy hair a chance, but it just turns into a frizz ball ): I'm trying to stay away from heat products.
Try a sulfate free shampoo to encourage waves and cut down on frizz!

Elenna
November 12th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I'm a daily hair washer, except I CO the length and shampoo the rest. My wavy hair is fine and on the thin side so this fluffs up the hair a bit and makes it behave. I apply a small amount of oil before washing. I rather have nice hair everyday!

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 11:12 PM
If I had to be somewhere every day I'd wash my hair as often. As it stands, I wash my hair every time I walk out of the house.

After about 36 hours my hair becomes both really greasy/waxy and really dry. A water only wash fixes this so that's what I do. When I gave up shampoo and daily washings I was only able to go 24hrs without the grease/dryness becoming unbearable so I have made some progress but if my hair continues to get dry between washings I think I might be better off with a daily oiling/washing routine.

DreamDance
November 13th, 2011, 10:09 AM

You may also try CO or the curly girl method. I use CO every day for my waves and my hair does not get all frizzy. But, if you like your shampoo, don't worry about it :)

Lilli
November 13th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I wash every day with shampoo and conditioner because if I don't, it gets very dry at the ends and greasy at the temples and itchy.

I wish I did not have to wash it because it is a pain in the butt and it tangles so much and so much falls out and it makes me sad.

I usually use a matching cheap S&C. My hair doesn't really like any product or even complicated S&C.

Nadiner
November 13th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks :D can anyone suggest a sulphate free shampoo that won't make my greasy scalp any worse? Some shampoos actually make my hair look greasy immediately so I get worried about trying new products.

DreamDance
November 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks :D can anyone suggest a sulphate free shampoo that won't make my greasy scalp any worse? Some shampoos actually make my hair look greasy immediately so I get worried about trying new products.

In drug stores L'oreal Eversleek is sulfate free, paraben free, silicone free, etc. (and it's actually on sale in Walgreens right now, just so's you know. Ask for coupons if they have them at the cosmetics counter). The eversleek conditioner is one of my favorites, lots of slip and shine without cones.

A more pricey but really yummy smelling sulfate free version is M.O.P. products. I like their M.O.P. "C", it smells like lemons, I use it when my hair gets gummy.

owlathena
November 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Lately I've been washing pretty often, maybe three days a week. My hair seems to be happy with frequent washings

battles
November 13th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I've started washing two or three days in a row with shampoo bars and ACV rinse, and then washing the next day with regular shampoo and light conditioner and then going back to shampoo bars the next few.. etc. My hair is shiny, happy, not at all dry.. This is working. :)

LaLaBella
November 16th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I cannot cope with stinky-head so I have to shampoo my scalp daily. My preference is Biolage Ultra Hydrating mixed with coconut oil and the matching conditioner.

Nadiner
November 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
I was considering getting a shampoo bar from Lush, but I'm not sure what to go for ): any suggestions? Is there one for oilier scalps?

Lucy Lilac
November 22nd, 2011, 04:37 PM
I'm a daily washer as the ends go very dry if I leave it for more than a day. Also my hair is quite fine and goes quite stringy if I don't wash it every day. Plus, I like the feeling of pampering my hair with loads of conditioner every morning .....

HeatherJenae
November 22nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
I started daily washing when I asked my friend as work with envy inducing hair how often she washed. She said every day and then I felt stupid running around with my greasy hair because it's supposedly better for my scalp. Her hair looks gorgeous and clean every day and mine just didn't. So I started washing at night and then I let it air dry over night. I force myself to do it every night because like another poster said, it makes me feel a bit down when I have greasy hair. I feel like I'm kind of hiding and I can't wait to get home and wash it. So now I just use the wonderful dollar Suave Naturals shampoo and conditioner and I feel so much more confident having clean bouncy hair every day. It's awesome. :)

chelles2kids
November 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
I cannot cope with stinky-head so I have to shampoo my scalp daily.

Me too! I also notice if I ride around with the window rolled down in the car anytime during the day...I defiantely have to wash that night...or if I cook certain foods..or if I...hahahaha!
While I enjoy the outdoors, I do not like my hair to 'smell' like the outdoors.:p

Seriously though, I like to wash every night...I just like my hair to smell good & also my scalp seems happier if I wash everyday.;)

luckyshot
November 22nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
I'm a daily washer too. Dry shampoo is my best friend when I'm camping, or on the weekend when I'm feeling a little lazy. I've tried to stretch it longer, but my hair just gets so greasy.

Hollyfire3
November 22nd, 2011, 07:50 PM
I ussually don't wash my hair daily. But, after a bad run in with protein treatments (thick curls+ protein= NOT GOOD) i have been washing daily with Nexxus ultimate moisture shampoo and conditioner plus a moisture mask from sally's beauty supply. My hair takes forever to dry and if i want it to be presentable and not wet in the morning, i must put mousse in after i wash it and finger comb until nearly dry (if not, my hair puffs and frizzs in the night) Washing my hair daily actually gives me one more chance every day to get my hair perfect! I love it and might stick to it!

summerjade
November 22nd, 2011, 08:07 PM
I wash my hair every day. My hair is fine and I need the daily washing to fluff it up. I also have an itchy scalp and daily washing prevents that. I also just love the feel of fresh clean hair. I tried to stretch the washing many times, but it just does not work for me. Daily washing works best for me.

kidari
November 22nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
I have about 4-6 shampoos in rotation and wash my hair daily with whatever I feel my hair needs. Sometimes I will do a straight shampoo only, most of the time an oil shampoo, and sometimes if I'm washing my hair standing up in the shower I will do a traditional shampoo followed with a conditioner on the ends only. Rarely I will do a CWC if there's a conditioner I want to hurry up and use up if it's rich and I'll do a CO wash with it if it's light and runny and I want to use it up because I don't like it. My hair likes to be washed and agrees with daily washing with just shampoo but I noticed that my ends need an SMT or other treatment once in a while since it's gotten longer. If it were shoulder length I don't think I would ever need to do deep treatments.

Arctic
November 23rd, 2011, 06:08 AM
I'm an almost daily washer! I have always had super oily hair and skin, and in my teens I often washed twice aday. The oil production has calmed down a bit now that I am older, but not that much.

I now have short hair and wash it usually daily, or every other day. After about 48 hours my hair looks very oily and my scalp freaks out (acneprone skin).

When I was active on this forum before and had a bit longer hair, I successfully reduced my washing frequency to every second and sometimes even every third day, but when I got back to (almost) daily washing I realized I was never very happy about my appearance on the non-wash days, I just do not feel good if my hair is not clean.

giuditta
November 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
I wash my hair eveyday too. I tried stretching but it looks so horrible on the second day already. I CO every other day and shampoo the other, with SLS cause non-SLS does not work for me (waxy and oily hair is horrible).
I enjoy showering and washing my hair in the evening, it's my moment of relaxation before going to bed.
And my hair is doing fine so why would I stop, I feel miserable when my hair looks greasy....

mneh
November 29th, 2011, 04:00 AM
In general I wash every day, although I can leave my hair for two days before washing if I have to, but I don't like doing that. I have always had an oily scalp and over the years, no matter how much I tried to stretch the time between washes, my scalp has not got any less oily and it has not responded well to infrequent washing.

Other reasons for daily washing:
- I do the majority of cooking in my house and I hate the smell of food in my hair
- I have wurly hair and washing re-clumps my wurls
- My scalp gets tender and is prone to acne/flaking if I don't wash it

I have found that organic shampoo & conditioner, ACV rinses, plus using a Kent shampoo brush makes my scalp much less oily (I can get two sleeps out of my hair if I need to) and this washing routine also feels great on my scalp. My daily shower and hair cleansing really relax me; I would really miss them if I had to stop.

JellyBene
December 11th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Has anyone found that their hair suffers in any way from daily washing?

kidari
December 11th, 2011, 04:41 PM
My ends do... especially if I'm only using shampoo to wash and I only use a spray in detangler afterwards. I've had to trim my ends a bit, pamper it with more deep conditioning treatments, and now I'm more careful. If I don't use conditioner I make sure from now on at least it's an oil shampoo I do. Also, I found that a light oiling on the ends are ideal as well as consistent SMTs and such at least once every 2 weeks. Once a week being ideal. I try to wash every two days if I can but mostly I'm washing daily using the traditional shampoo and condition method.

ETA: I meant to say my ends suffer from daily washing only if I'm just using shampoo to wash and I neglect my hair by not doing any heavy oilings or SMTs or any other treatment to it for a long time. Otherwise, I don't have any problems with daily washing but I have very oily skin and my hair gets greasy seriously 6-10 hours after washing it most days.

Jessibear2854
December 11th, 2011, 04:51 PM

I'm an almost daily washer! I have always had super oily hair and skin, and in my teens I often washed twice aday. The oil production has calmed down a bit now that I am older, but not that much.

I now have short hair and wash it usually daily, or every other day. After about 48 hours my hair looks very oily and my scalp freaks out (acneprone skin).

When I was active on this forum before and had a bit longer hair, I successfully reduced my washing frequency to every second and sometimes even every third day, but when I got back to (almost) daily washing I realized I was never very happy about my appearance on the non-wash days, I just do not feel good if my hair is not clean.

I second this. I never feel good about myself on non-wash days. For two years I did CO only, and tried to stretch washes. I think I went 3 days once but the third day I didn't have to leave the house so it didn't matter. I still feel gross when I try to stretch washes so I recently gave up. I'm so much happier with clean, fresh smelling hair :) Glad to see this thread.

mneh
December 11th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Has anyone found that their hair suffers in any way from daily washing?

When I used stronger, sulphate shampoos and didn't use conditioner (bad old days, pre-LHC) my hair was very dry. Now, using organic hair products and always conditioning (plus deep conditioning from time to time) I'm not having any problems; my hair is in the best condition it's ever been in :)

Myrddin
June 30th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Hi everybody,

I just found this thread and it's very reassuring. I always washed every other day, but for quite some time my hair gets greasier. And now even after 1,5 days my hair is super greasy and at the moment I feel, I might need to wash every day.
I think it's something hormonal, because face and body skin is less dryer than before, which is good.

Are there other daily washers?

EndlessSunshine
June 30th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I CO wash everyday and I do an oil treatment once a week using coconut one week and olive oil the next. We have a lot of calcium in our hard water so I started using a shampoo with chelating properties twice a week. My hair is finally shiny again!

moralita
June 30th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I'm not alone! I'm so glad I found this thread.

LaFlor
June 30th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I would love to wash my hair everyday. I love the feeling of freshly washed hair and I love how my hair looks when I wash!

At the moment, I'm trying to stretch washes, but I am very tempted to give up. I just wonder if it is actually helping my hair or not to stretch washes :shrug: I used to wash my hair everyday and I don't remember it being much different condition wise. I'm just scared that the daily washing might damage my hair and I won't be happy when I finally reach my goal length.

If I find that I get too tired of not liking my hair on non wash days I might just go back to this and take some extra precautions... heavy oiling, SMT's, etc. to help protect hair.

clarinette
June 30th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Funny reality check from the fact this thread even exists :D I just did reversed 2 step henndigo, letting the indigo settle for a day before hennaing, as a consequence I had to co-wash 2 days in a row: believe it or not when I put the towel to my hair after the second wash I was sooo gentle and fearful , I almost expected my hair to fall out in clumps, so thanks for reminding me that hair gets washed every day by billions of people ; and no, it doesn't melt lol!!

hairstuck
July 6th, 2012, 01:21 AM
I'm glad other people wash daily, too!

I actually wash twice a day. I'm not that oily and gross or anything. I just shower twice a day, and I always wash my hair when I shower. I feel gross if I shower without washing my hair. My hair gets frizzy and puffy around humidity (shower), so it always gets washed. Plus, I like baths and pools. I'm not giving up things I like just for hair.

I like the feeling of clean, wet hair. It cools you off. I rarely dry my hair, so it's cooling as it dries.

I'm trying to stop coloring my hair.

I don't think daily washing is *that* horrible, unless you heat style, color, highlight, etc. on top of it. When my hair was un-colored, I washed it once or twice a day as a youngish teen, and my hair looked nice.

I use leave-in conditioner(s) each time, and sometimes argan oil and serums on the ends.

hairstuck
July 6th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Oh, and my hair is dry, but that's mostly from hair coloring it so much. I've even chemically straightened it years ago, so the combo of stuff probably explains it.

I've started putting a deep conditioner in my hair and leaving it in the entire time I take a bath. I usually take an evening bath for an a hour, then shower. Mornings I use more gentle shampoo/conditioner in the shower. I like L'Oreal kids shampoo and conditioner. I spray Infusium, Aussie, Aveena, or some other leave-in conditioner spray to my hair after each wash. Then, sometimes I'll put a serum or thicker conditioner on the ends.

I like the feeling of showering and feeling clean in general. I don't understand how people clean house, do sports, cook, spend time outdoors, etc. then not shower. Surely hair smells or gets dirty from that? The exception with me is if I'm camping, I can go 2 days without showering. Still, I prefer to shower twice a day when I have the opportunity to. My hair didn't seem to notice that I didn't wash it when camping.

Hot water is relaxing to the muscles, and showers are a nice, quiet place to relax and unwind and pamper yourself. Ok, I've got to go shower now...

Sometimes I think less washing would mean less necessary products, but... eh, it's just my hair. I enjoy showering, so my hair will just have to deal with that.

kidari
July 6th, 2012, 02:43 AM
I'm back to daily washing for a while now. I went for a long period of trying to stretch washes. Going every other day was stretching washes in my book too. I just get an angry itchy scalp. I remedy the daily washing with religious weekly SMTs. Also, I've modified my washing routine by doing shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in conditioner. Someone I know who has way longer hair than mine in better condition than my own washes daily also. She said that her thing is that she doesn't ever use shampoo that is clear, only creamy opaque ones since those tend to be more moisturizing and gentle. Ever since then I don't use volumizing shampoos anymore and all the clear shampoos are used to wash my lingerie and makeup brushes so they don't go to waste.

Natalia
July 6th, 2012, 03:12 AM
im an everyday washer. im wo and a nightly washer just cant sleep if i even feel the slightest bit dirty i know its a mental thing my hair isnt actually dirty everday but i cant deal with it. i also get the itchies easily so daily washing helps alot.

XcaliburGirl
July 6th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I recently tried switching to every other day washing (again). Although my hair reacts well, my scalp gets flaky after a few days. I have finally found the right shampoo and conditioner to avoid the flakes, so I just can't bear to go back to all that. It is kind of nice to sleep in an extra 10 minutes, though. However, it takes much less thought to just do the same routine every day.

firegypsy
July 6th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I'm stretching to every other day to see if I can manage it. I much prefer washing my hair daily.

I'm also trying to switch to CO, but it's not going well. Plus, I just LIKE shampoo. But I'd like to do whatever is going to damage my hair less. I'm just not totally sure what that is yet!

XcaliburGirl
July 6th, 2012, 07:55 AM
im an everyday washer. im wo and a nightly washer just cant sleep if i even feel the slightest bit dirty i know its a mental thing my hair isnt actually dirty everday but i cant deal with it. i also get the itchies easily so daily washing helps alot.
It's funny, I have the opposite problem. I shower in the morning and I feel dirty just from sleeping.

I'm stretching to every other day to see if I can manage it. I much prefer washing my hair daily.

I'm also trying to switch to CO, but it's not going well. Plus, I just LIKE shampoo. But I'd like to do whatever is going to damage my hair less. I'm just not totally sure what that is yet!
If I might suggest something, you might find it is easier to change one thing at a time. I know when I've tried two changes at once it just ended up confusing me because I couldn't figure out which change caused which result. I'm sure you know what will work best for you, though. Good luck with your experiments. :)

Demi-Plum
July 6th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I try to stretch it out to every other day but I have thin fine hair so that isn't always an option. I was in the shower last night at midnight because my mother was like "you're gonna leave that till tomorrow night...." Sometimes I can get away with it sometimes I can't. Currently I'm experimenting with CWC and OWC and seeing which one will work best and all for my hair.

Rocky
July 6th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I baby shampoo my scalp every night and then condition the length too. I've tried to stretch washes but just ended up feeling completely gross which I couldn't deal with, and plus you could easily tell my hair was greasy and it made me really self conscious.

firegypsy
July 6th, 2012, 03:27 PM
It's funny, I have the opposite problem. I shower in the morning and I feel dirty just from sleeping.

If I might suggest something, you might find it is easier to change one thing at a time. I know when I've tried two changes at once it just ended up confusing me because I couldn't figure out which change caused which result. I'm sure you know what will work best for you, though. Good luck with your experiments. :)

I'm all about controls for experiments but my thought process was the the harshness of the shampoo would prevent me from stretching effectively. Though I suppose I could CO daily. Hmmmmm.

nobeltonya
July 6th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I've been a daily washer for as long as I can remember.. and since I started using a nice moisturizing/smoothing conditioner and leave-in, and regularly oiling at night, my hair had been the best it's ever been. That routine has been working for most of a year now. But recently, my husband [Indian] suggested to me to wash every 2-3 days and only use coconut oil [stop using conditioners, which he said will eventually make my hair lose color..]. We'll see how the oiling goes, because I've never had much luck stretching washes.. my skin and scalp are horribly oily, and my hair just looks limp, dull, flaky, smells, etc etc etc if I don't wash... coconut oil is also supposed to be cooling, which is a big help now. Tomorrow morning is the day I'm supposed to not wash, so we'll see how my hair looks tomorrow.. lol :disco:

Natalia
July 6th, 2012, 06:13 PM

my mom is the same way but she sweats easily. i am also pretty ocd about my sleeping space since i have alot of sleep problems, so i work hard to set the enviorment. i am only in my room when i sleep or put away laundry. everything in there but clothing and my purse are off limits until after i shower so my sleep area is very clean and realaxing to me.

Bronzepikzi
July 6th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Cool, I didn't know we had one of these threads! I thought I was alone.

I do, I do. My skin is super oily. If I try to wait an extra 1/2 a day it feels gross. I use to baby shampoo every day. Now I have fallen for H&S Ocean Lift. I know it builds up on hair, but I use Ion demineralizer once a week to remove the iron and it helps. Since I've been using it, my hair is sooooo soft. Yay!

JellyBene
April 28th, 2015, 04:15 PM
I forgot about this thread :) I started it back in 2011 and can still say the same, even skipping one day my hair looks greasy/stringy. In the time since starting this thread I've tried just about every method out there for washing, even went a few months water only. I'm washing ever other day with a sulfate free shampoo as of now, but I never like how my hair looks the second day....

divinedobbie
April 30th, 2015, 10:36 PM
I wash my hair daily. I lasted 8 months of washing every two and then three days but I was shedding and constantly unhappy about how I looked with dirty hair so it just wasn't worth it. I've had healthy long hair before when I washed daily with sulfates and ripped through my hair. Why shouldn't my hair look just as nice and be just as healthy if I'm doing the same thing now plus extra gentle care and pre-poo etc.

I'm worried about hygral fatigue but not enough to make the sacrifice. I'm not going for extreme lengths, my original goal is waist but I'd be pleased if I could make it to hip. My friend has hair similar to mine and is hip length and she washes and blow dries every day, and her hair is shiny and healthy. I'm embracing the daily washing.

lady mechanic
May 1st, 2015, 10:50 AM
I wash every day! But since I work 6 days a week underneath cars I kind of HAVE to wash every day. Even if I don't get any automotive fluid in my hair that "garage smell" isn't very attractive. Co washing just leaves my fine thin hair to limp and greasy. On my day off I try not to wash it tthough.

Stangenlocke
May 3rd, 2015, 05:30 AM
I have to wash my hair every day since it goes really greasy after more than 1 1/2 days. I have tried stretching washes but then came to the conclusion that I do not want long hair if it means that I and DH are grossed out by it most of the time - and yes: I am impatient! If my daily washing means that I will not be able to grow it much longer, then so be it. Since I have started proper shampoo bars it seems to be a lot happier than ever before, though.

Arctic
May 3rd, 2015, 05:57 AM
I'm almost daily washer. I've always had oily hair and scalp that demands to be clean. Now that I'm approaching 40 I have noticed my skin/hair is slightly less oily. In my teens and twenties, I looked super oily after less than 24 hours (I often washed twice a day then, if I had evening plans). These days I sometimes skip day here or there, especially if I'm just home, but I always wash in the days when I'm going somewhere. My hair looks and feels its best right after washing, which also means I like how I look the best on those days. In fact my hair get wild during sleeping and the only way to get it behave is washing (cowlicks, I am looking at you!).

I can't really stretch my washes, my scalp gets very angry if I try. I have never noticed any problems from my frequent washes, granted though my hair has never been longer than barely BSL. I might try scalp only washing when my hair is long enough, because there is one thing that does get on my nerves: the time washing drying (blowdrier or air drying) and styling takes.

winship2
May 4th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I'm going to try day-and-a-half washing for a while. I've gotten into the "reverse washing" and am liking it both for the outcome for my hair and the fact that it feels faster and a little more luxurious. I've been having some trouble with dandruff and dry ends if I stretch washes, and-- I love my bf running his hands through soft, shiny, clean hair. Doesn't seem to be doing any damage to my WL ends.

Rapunzel_to_be
May 4th, 2015, 03:43 PM
I wash my hair everyday, and I've tried stretching it over long periods of time, but it just does not work, my hair always gets greasy... I tried CO washing everyday and only shampoo twice a week, but my scalp started smelling from the buildup of conditioner, so I went back to shampooing everyday. Currently though to only wash with water and then shampoo every other day instead... I have tried this when I used to falt iron my hair ( my hair got greasier faster back then) but have not tried it with my hair being in its natural state... so hoping it will work..

yahirwaO.o
May 13th, 2015, 09:37 PM
I think my hair likes to be clean oftenly.... I could strech a week and I was just fine, but shedding was way bigger when I streched. Then I decided the 2 times per week, and somehow notice and improvement. Now I do it every other day or like 3 times per week and my scalp is much happier. I do make sure to pre condition my hair (olive oil and then rinse that with conditioner) or othewise my hair can get very dry and more tangly prone.

CoveredByLove
May 14th, 2015, 08:05 AM
I'm a daily washer. :D I skip sometimes out of laziness. My hair likes to be conditioned daily. In the past, I've been able to stretch washes to only twice a week, but I was miserable doing that. My hair would dry out and get tangly between washes. Granted, it was damaged back then. But I still wash daily and enjoy doing it. :) We'll see if I still enjoy doing it when it gets a lot longer. ;)

yahirwaO.o
February 3rd, 2016, 08:37 PM
Just to update! I know wash my hair everyday-every other day! My scalp is much happier now.

I also feel way more confident, because now I don't have to deal with a greasy updo or pouring powder to make a decent 3rd or 4rd day. So now I just wash at night and have the nicest sleep!!!!

pailin
February 3rd, 2016, 11:09 PM
Yay, there's a thread for us too! I don't mind sleeping with wet hair (as long as it's not sopping wet) so I just wash it every night. It keeps my scalp so much happier, and I don't start looking like I have dark roots growing out (which I don't- so I don't appreciate looking like it's not my natural hair color!). Also I sweat a lot, and if I wear a motorcycle helmet in the heat and then also exercise, it gets even worse.

yahirwaO.o
February 3rd, 2016, 11:22 PM
Yeah this thread is so cool! pailin Oh yes, sweat!!!! Im a guy and I feel we (men) kinda produce more sweat a lot more than ladies (I do hang out-play a lot outdoors not necessarily work out) and I come back all oily! I also hate the idea of getting in my bed with my body clean after showering but the dirtiest part of my body (my hair) isn't all fresh!

I wash before having dinner, like 3 or 2 hours before getting to bed, so I don't really have to deal with it damp, mine dries pretty fast which comes very handy!

I used to go with a more easy going introvert life and was able to keep greasiness-limp roorts resonable , but now I do very outgoing youthful extrovert stuff and not washing feels wrong!

pailin
February 4th, 2016, 02:02 AM
Yeah this thread is so cool! pailin Oh yes, sweat!!!! Im a guy and I feel we (men) kinda produce more sweat a lot more than ladies (I do hang out-play a lot outdoors not necessarily work out) and I come back all oily! I also hate the idea of getting in my bed with my body clean after showering but the dirtiest part of my body (my hair) isn't all fresh!

I wash before having dinner, like 3 or 2 hours before getting to bed, so I don't really have to deal with it damp, mine dries pretty fast which comes very handy!

I used to go with a more easy going introvert life and was able to keep greasiness-limp roorts resonable , but now I do very outgoing youthful extrovert stuff and not washing feels wrong!

Yay, someone who understands! I know men usually sweat a lot more, but I sweat more than most girls :(. When I exercise, my hair really does get wet (not trying to say I exercise that hard- I just sweat a lot for a girl). If I shower quickly because I'm going out again, I'll wait to wash it later, so I'll just put it up. And a few hours later when I take it down, it will still be wet from the sweat. Also the weather here gets really hot. I wazh the sweat off the rest if me; why not my hair? I did try WO briefly in between, and CO, but it was a disaster.

Pol
February 4th, 2016, 02:53 AM
I wonder if men really do sweat more than women, or if that's a myth (it's probably more socially acceptable for men to sweat than women)? In my case, I certainly sweat more than my (male) SO, particularly if I've been exercising! Glad to see this thread, going to go back and read from the beginning.

All this sweating talk puts me in mind of a saying fron my grandmother: 'Horses sweat, men perspire, women glow!' Haha!

pailin
February 4th, 2016, 06:07 AM
I think on average men do sweat more, but it's an average. Here where I live, I'm pretty sure I sweat more than some of the men do. But then again I have one guy friend here who really does sweat buckets, so exercising around him I can actually think of it as 'glow' for a change :)

school of fish
February 4th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Oh another thread where I belong :D

I just have to wash in some form every day, the concept of stretching washes is just so opposite to what my hair demands. Yes I know all about the 'you have to get your scalp used to not producing so much oil' transition time but I have tried and I swear my scalp NEVER got that memo...

What I have been able to do is replace a bunch of *shampoo* washes with *conditioner* washes, and that's been my happy compromise. I'm currently shampooing on Tuesdays and Fridays, and every other day of the week I'm CO washing. My hair is happy :)

The only thing I can't figure out is how to answer the 'how often do you wash' question - I'm inclined to say daily, but I think that puts in peoples' minds that I mean shampoo every day, and saying CO isn't accurate either because of that twice weekly sulphate shampoo routine ;) Anyone got a simpler answer they use that doesn't take a paragraph to explain? ;)

Arctic
February 4th, 2016, 06:39 AM
I'm what I call an almost daily washer at this point. I used to wasn't able to go more than 24 h between shampooings, and often washed my hair twice a day if I had plans for the evening (partying, date, etc.). Now my skin has calmed down a bit, and I assume I might start to be able to reliably go 48 hours between washes at some point.

Right now I am in-between: 24 h isn't quite oily enough to absolutely need washing, but 48 hours is slightly pushing it, and if I'd need to look put together and feel good about myself, the end of 48 hours period is not "acceptable" to me. Currenty it seems that washing every 36 hours would be ideal, but that isn't very handy arrangement in everyday life, where routines need to be in place. (Note, I am ofcourse talking in term of approximation, I never take showers according to clocks, he he.)

So my everyday life is currently like this: if I am at home only (quite often currently), I go 48 h between washes. If I need to be somewhere, even if for a short time and for non-important reasons, I wash my hair every day if needed.

My scalp needs regular washing, and with shampoos to boot. But also my hair gets ugly and difficult to manage when it's dirty, and I prefere the clean hair over dirty anytime. But I won't lie, I will be happy if and when I can go 48 hours between washes reliably, because daily washing takes quite a bit of time, especially if I wash in the mornings.

yahirwaO.o
February 4th, 2016, 04:27 PM
I wonder if men really do sweat more than women, or if that's a myth (it's probably more socially acceptable for men to sweat than women)? In my case, I certainly sweat more than my (male) SO, particularly if I've been exercising! Glad to see this thread, going to go back and read from the beginning.

All this sweating talk puts me in mind of a saying fron my grandmother: 'Horses sweat, men perspire, women glow!' Haha!

I think of course it depends on the person. But being with dudes all the time and then getting us all in one guest room, well we are all sweaty and well, we stink LOL!!!

Great thought of your grandma! Certainly some people feel on certain mood with certain body fluids thingy! :soapbox:

I think on average men do sweat more, but it's an average. Here where I live, I'm pretty sure I sweat more than some of the men do. But then again I have one guy friend here who really does sweat buckets, so exercising around him I can actually think of it as 'glow' for a change :)

Some guys are like water sweaty fountains! So I get you, because myself, im not really that sweety! But if everyday washing works for us, well why bother do something that our bodies object!

Oh another thread where I belong :D

The only thing I can't figure out is how to answer the 'how often do you wash' question - I'm inclined to say daily, but I think that puts in peoples' minds that I mean shampoo every day, and saying CO isn't accurate either because of that twice weekly sulphate shampoo routine ;) Anyone got a simpler answer they use that doesn't take a paragraph to explain? ;)

Well its great CO works great for you, I think it could be a cleansing method too. As long as it works for you, great! And SLS are not evil. I wash mine with one but I always make sure to dilute mine, that way cleans very well but doesn't strip my natural oils!!! Once a week I go with it undiluted and works like charm!

I'm what I call an almost daily washer at this point. I used to wasn't able to go more than 24 h between shampooings, and often washed my hair twice a day if I had plans for the evening (partying, date, etc.). Now my skin has calmed down a bit, and I assume I might start to be able to reliably go 48 hours between washes at some point.

Yes. If I stay home I can go with the every other day ratio, but man, going out to the city and hanging with people, sure I can feel just to gross If I don't wash all myself when I get home, I would wake up smelly and wrong!

So yeah I feel great with washing daily and some people here dont make me feel like Im a hair sinner!!!! :p

RottenMango
May 10th, 2019, 02:59 AM
I must do some kind of washing daily in order to have nice hair. My hair hates stretching washes and will go oily at the roots and crunchy at the ends. So, I shampoo wash every third day and condition wash every single day in between shampoos. My hair must be damp in order to be manipulated/styled. Once dry it becomes too thick/big to do anything with.

school of fish
May 10th, 2019, 10:27 AM
I'd forgotten this thread existed!!

I still wash every day - but I've ditched the CO washing and am just doing straight S&C now. Ultimately I didn't notice any difference in methods so I've defaulted to the simplest ;) This way I can sleepwalk through my morning shower routine and not have to keep track of days, hahaha :D

Andthetalltrees
May 10th, 2019, 11:26 AM
I've gotten in the habit of near-daily washing again(I do skip days here and there but not systematically, Either i just forget or don't feel like it) with sulfates and no, Not even a drop of conditioner due to some allergy issues. My hair isn't worse off than it was when I was bi-weekly washing, In fact I'd say it's even better plus I no longer have itchy, flaky, inflamed scalp issues at all between cutting out CO and washing a lot more frequently. So I've just dropped the idea of stretching washes all together

Dung Beetle
May 10th, 2019, 11:58 AM
I've also gone back to daily washes, although I might skip a day if I'm not going anywhere. My hair isn't so bad after a day or two, but I have no sense of smell and I get really paranoid if I don't feel clean. Also my husband smokes and I just know it gets on me sometimes.

Natalia_A00
May 10th, 2019, 12:06 PM
I usually try to stretch washes and wash my hair every other day, but I've washed my hair daily for a longish time. It works fine for me and I think I shed less hair. When I wash my hair every other day, I notice that my hair is very greasy and falls out more in the shower. I wonder if I should go back to daily washes, but it seems to be a very demonized thing. Maybe it's just that some routines work differently depending on the person, I don't think it's that bad. For example, I didn't feel that my hair was drier when I used to wash it everyday.

luckydandelion
May 25th, 2019, 01:10 PM
Every day washing has been a godsend. As long as I dilute my shampoo enough, I'm fine:heart:

Death-Within-Me
November 14th, 2022, 09:44 AM
Just chiming in here to say my hair's gotten relatively long and I still daily wash and blowdry (cool) every evening before bed. :D

Jovana
November 14th, 2022, 12:17 PM
I wash everyday, beacause of the sweat.

barnet_fair
November 21st, 2022, 02:35 PM
Just chiming in here to say my hair's gotten relatively long and I still daily wash and blowdry (cool) every evening before bed. :D

Death-Within-Me and others who wash your hair in the evening, how do you wear your hair in bed? I like to wash in the evening, but don't like braid waves or wearing a bun in bed, and all options seem to mess up the freshly washed hair somehow, which is a shame.

Death-Within-Me
November 21st, 2022, 04:26 PM
Death-Within-Me and others who wash your hair in the evening, how do you wear your hair in bed? I like to wash in the evening, but don't like braid waves or wearing a bun in bed, and all options seem to mess up the freshly washed hair somehow, which is a shame.

By the time it's fully dry, I twist my hair in a cinnabun with soft scrunchie. I wake up with waves. I don't like braids because the tail is never protected.

EggLover
December 1st, 2022, 04:42 PM
So glad to have found this thread! I'm not alone lol!!! Here is my first post on the Mane forum.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=155644

So daily washers....what shampoos do you find best for cleansing the scalp, BUT not frying the ends? Drugstore or higher end recs both okay.

Ylva
December 2nd, 2022, 02:37 AM
So daily washers....what shampoos do you find best for cleansing the scalp, BUT not frying the ends? Drugstore or higher end recs both okay.

My favourite is without a doubt the Garnier Fructis Aloe Hydra Bomb shampoo. It leaves my scalp feeling at ease, and I mostly just let the shampooo run through my lengths without actually applying it there, so they are just fine - or well, as fine as they are going to be with this degree of damage that I have.

curlysunbeam
December 4th, 2022, 02:06 PM
i dont wash everyday, but about 4-5 times a week, sometimes more, i use innersense hydrating, it doesnt dry out at all

Death-Within-Me
December 4th, 2022, 03:01 PM
So I've finished my Tresemme Rich Moisture bottles and am currently using Aveeno's Apple Cider Vinegar. It's been great.