PDA

View Full Version : Freezing dye-released henna?

icydove
March 14th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I've seen a lot of people mention that they freeze their leftover henna. I've been afraid to do it because I thought the dye would be weakened. So, I have a lot of questions!

What is your method of freezing henna? (details please)
What is your method of thawing? Is heat necessary for "reactivation?"
How long will it last in the freezer before the dye is compromised?

Thanks!

Chromis
March 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I just pour mine into big yogurt containers, let it cool a little and stick it in the freezer! When I want to use it again I put it in the fridge a day or so before to defrost and I warm it up a little in the microwave just prior to use. Works just fine!

DolphinPrincess
March 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I always make up big batches of henna, wait for dye release (usually 12 hours or so) then portion into freezer baggies, squeeze as much air out as possible, seal and put in the freezer. To thaw, I just pull a bag out and set it in a bowl for another 12 hours or so (or until not frozen anymore) You could also place a baggie in a bowl of warm water to thaw faster. I believe dye-released henna could last 6 months in the freezer. :magic:

khyricat
March 14th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I dye release overnight 1 box, which is 3 henna's for me. I then split it into baggies and freeze 2, with the air squeezed out, and use the 3rd. I don't mix my henna to consistancy until right before applied, rather dye release as a thick claylike paste... When it's time to use the frozen henna, I pull it out the night before, and set it by the sink, then add other ingredients (cornstarch thickened water gel) and apply in the morning.

From my experience (and that of others on the old board when this was discussed) we actually get BETTER dye uptake from the frozen henna than from fresh.

I also store my extra powder in the freezer, but that is just pulled out and used.

Amie

Islandgrrl
March 14th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I don't know how long it lasts in the freezer, but I just pulled some out last night - leftovers from my first henna job a few months ago (and I made waaaaaaaay too much and still have enough for probably 6 more applications!!!). I actually froze it in ice cube trays (old ones) then popped the henna cubes out and stuck them into a big freezer bag. I put 5 cubes into an old sour cream container in the morning and hennaed last night when I got home from work.

Worked great. :)

ETA: I didn't re-warm the thawed henna. And I thawed it out on the counter, not in the fridge.

Islandgrrl
March 14th, 2008, 12:27 PM
From my experience (and that of others on the old board when this was discussed) we actually get BETTER dye uptake from the frozen henna than from fresh.

Okay, I thought I was just imagining this. Apparently not!!!

prosperina
March 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Yup, I get stronger henna when I freeze it. I don't think there's anything you can really do wrong here; you can't hurt henna. I've kept it in the freezer for over a month--once it's frozen it's frozen; it's not going anywhere and isn't changing. In the evening before I henna, I take the henna out of the freezer and place it in the fridge, and it's ready by the next afternoon. I know why you're worried though, henna is pricey, not to mention time intensive. :)

ETA: I actually don't do this anymore because the henna was getting too strong.

wintersun99
March 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I've seen a lot of people mention that they freeze their leftover henna. I've been afraid to do it because I thought the dye would be weakened. So, I have a lot of questions!

What is your method of freezing henna? (details please)
What is your method of thawing? Is heat necessary for "reactivation?"
How long will it last in the freezer before the dye is compromised?

Thanks!

No, I don't find that the dye is compromised, in fact - it seems stronger the next time. I just put left over henna into a glass jar, sometimes I remember to stuff the jar with cling wrap, just to take up the air space, sometimes not, and throw it in the freezer. It can be frozen and thawed many times, but I usually only make enough to thaw once. Heat is not necessary, I just pull it out of the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature, if I'm in a hurry I put the jar in a sink full of warm water. It's easy and convenient.

MadHatter
March 14th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I also find that my henna is stronger after being frozen. Much stronger, in fact.
I fill up my applicator bottle, then put the rest in a ziplock bag. When I want to use it, I put the bottle in hot water.

icydove
March 14th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Stronger, that could also be a problem. I'm doing glossings, so I'm not wanting strong color in the first place. However, I might be able to use less henna that way. It would mean some strand testing again, though :ponder:.

Nightshade
March 15th, 2008, 01:27 AM
What is your method of freezing henna? (details please)- My highly complicated method involves scraping the mud into a baggie, sealing the baggie (after getting as much air out as possible) and tossing said baggie in the freezer ;)

What is your method of thawing? Is heat necessary for "reactivation?" - I soak the baggie in a bowl of warm water, not only to thaw it but to make it less OMFG cold when I put it on. Too much heat may speed up dye demise.

How long will it last in the freezer before the dye is compromised? H4H says about a year, but no one that I know of has actually tested it.

I also find that the frozen henna seems to be a bit more potent, so I just try to make batches that have as little waste as possible, and then I add small bits of the frozen mix to my conditioning cassia glosses or to other batches of henna.

icydove
March 15th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

Nightshade, how do you do your cassia glosses?

Nightshade
March 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Nightshade, how do you do your cassia glosses?

I do

100g cassia
3 TB honey
3TB old frozen henna mix
As much chamomile tea made in distilled water as it takes.

Blend and apply to towel-dried hair for about two hours. Awesome conditioning with a golden color and a bit of henna strength. The honey makes it rinse out super easy :)

jackie75
October 18th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Sorry I'm replying to such an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one when this one is exactly what I'm wondering about.

I also find that my henna is stronger after being frozen. Much stronger, in fact.
I fill up my applicator bottle, then put the rest in a ziplock bag. When I want to use it, I put the bottle in hot water.

This is the method I think will be easiest for me. My question is, is it important or necessary to remove all the air possible when freezing henna paste? I don't see how I could do that if I freeze the paste in applicator bottles and there is some space left over in the bottle. :confused:

GRU
October 18th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I make a big batch and freeze it in applicator bottles -- no problems here!

Dolly
October 18th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I put mine in old soap molds and after they freeze, I pop them out and into a baggie.....it takes about 3 blocks to do my whole head of waist-length fine hair, so I just divide them into three blocks per baggie, and put the small baggies in a big one. When it is time, I pull out a small baggie, drop it in a bowl of warm water and in a short time, I am ready to go!

Dreah
October 18th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I just put whatever I have left into my applicator bottles and stick it in the freezer. I don't usually make up big batches at once so the applicator bottles work just fine. I haven't noticed if the 'extra' air in the bottle does anything to it... I've left them in the freezer up to a month or two with no adverse effects. I've also thawed and refroze the same batch of henna a couple times (if for some reason I end up not hennaing that day) and I still had no problems with the dye content.

ETA: I forgot to mention how I thaw it. Honestly, I just set the applicator bottles out on the counter to let them thaw. If it's cold in the house I try to find somewhere a bit warmer to let it thaw, but that's about the extent of it!

GRU
October 18th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I'm too lazy/impatient to thaw in advance, so I usually stick an applicator bottle in a bowl of hot tap water and it thaws quite quickly (and is nice and warm when I apply it to my head!).

jackie75
October 18th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Awesome! Thanks guys! I can't wait to become a henna head finally. One more application of color oops to remove a bit more black demi-permanent color, and I'm ready! Woot!

Scarlet_Heart
March 8th, 2016, 07:20 PM
Anyone ever microwave their frozen henna? I'm curious if it affects the dye uptake. Seems like thawing is way to go, but in a pinch maybe? :wannabe:

Anje
March 8th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Anyone ever microwave their frozen henna? I'm curious if it affects the dye uptake. Seems like thawing is way to go, but in a pinch maybe? :wannabe:

I just toss it in a bowl of warm water (still in its baggie or container, of course). No risk of overheating parts if it, that way.

Scarlet_Heart
March 9th, 2016, 04:27 AM
:hmm: I see... I froze mine still in the glass bowl with plastic wrap on top. Next time I'll do a baggie. I just took it out last night and I'll put it on this afternoon.

Thanks!

Lavendersugar
March 9th, 2016, 09:39 AM
I place mine in a freezer baggie then let it sit out in the sink to thaw. Seems to thaw quickly. I've never used anything to thaw it. If you have indigo in it you will need to add more indigo.
I really like freezing as it helps not have to prep. I'm usually a last minute henna day person.
Oh and I've frozen henna that used water, lemon and coconut cream/milk. Together and separate. All colored well.

Scarlet_Heart
March 9th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Uh, you guys weren't kidding about freezing upping the dye uptake. Yikes. I think I'll only leave this on for 2 or 3 hours at the most.

Katia_k
March 10th, 2016, 07:08 PM
I froze mine in the bowl too. Due to some stirring disasters the night before, I ended up leaving it a little thicker, and then, after 2 hours of thawing, added warm water to it to finish the thinning process and thaw at the same time. Had to break up a few chunks, but it worked great, and dyed great. I was afraid I'd make more of a mess if I put it in baggies, and I'd already started destroying my kitchen.