PDA

View Full Version : Bun help

Tawnylioness
November 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I am new to the whole bun thing, i never bothered to do much with my hair aside from a ponytail or a braid so i am not very good at them yet, also my hair is either thin, or fine, or both im not sure, either way my hair falls out of most things i try. but my current problem is when i put a hair stick in my bun , lets say i do a Chinese bun so the stick is horizontal, after a couple mins the stick starts to tilt down, this happens with every bun i try so i assume im not anchoring it properly. any advise?

hendricks82
November 7th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I had this problem when I first started bunning with sticks and the like. It really just took practice finding what held tight and what fell loose.

The best for my slippery hair is a lazy wrap bun, and I make sure that I get the stick through the whole "loop" and not just pieces of it (if that makes any sense at all)

But honestly a few months ago my hair didn't stay in a cinnabun with a stick and now it does. That can't attributed to length because I've had a trim... its just practice.

In fact just last weekend I figured out my flexi 8 I've had since last Christmas! (and I wore it everyday this week lol)

shikara
November 7th, 2011, 06:36 PM
It could be that practice practice practice will eventually work or it could also be that sticks may not work well for you, or it could be the bun. Not everyone can use sticks, or clips, or claws. I can't use sticks no matter what I do. It took forever to get hairpins to keep a bun up, but because of my lack of density or some other factor, they poke and prod. If your practice yields results for you, then great! If not, you are certainly not alone - you'll just have to try something else.... Good luck!

jojo
November 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Just to clarify fine is relating to the indivudual strands and thin is the overal volume, for e.g. my hair is very fine but it is thickish in bulk....:)

It sounds like you have slippery hair like mine. Some buns that work for me are
Sock buns
Braided bun
Number 8 bun

Try these first, theres instructions in the article section or if like me your more a visual learner go on to youtube, i can spend forever looking at them!

I was useless at buns when I first came on here and now I am a little better! I will never be as creative as Arc oh my her buns are brilliant! good luck!!! and do post some photos of your new talents!!! we like photos!!!:D

DreamDance
November 7th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Spin pins! I can't get hairsticks to stay on their own until my hair is below BSL almost waist. I have very fine hair that slips out of everything. One spin pin (or hair screw you don't have to by the goody brand!) holds my hair up all day and then I put my pretty hair sticks in it to make it look like I want :)

Also hair forks sometimes work better than hairsticks if you need better anchoring. In my experience anyhow.

racrane
November 7th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I've mastered many more styles since I started using spin pins. My hair is fine and slippery, too. But spin pins have really helped me! I would suggest buying them! :)

QMacrocarpa
November 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I was going to mention spin-pins, but you guys beat me to it! I also like Good Hair Days magic-grip hairpins, which don't generally back out on me, unlike crimped wire pins, which I have yet to master.

This might not help you, but I sometimes add a stability-boost to hairstick styles by combining a (low-visibility) hair-friendly elastic with the hairstick to make a sort of slide (loop the ends of the elastic around the ends of the hairstick securing your bun). I do this with lazy wrap buns and pencil buns, and I love to secure a folded braid this way, I find it super-easy and all-day stable.