PDA

View Full Version : No such luck!

GabrielleRose
November 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I haven't had any luck with anything for my hair these days and it's really getting to me. I'm trying to learn to love my hair and be happy with it but it's a fail.

I've tried CO, and that only worked for a few days until it sends my scalp going crazy and not even clarifying has helped.

Now I'm trying the shampoo oil method, and though I have only done it about 3 times now that is a fail as well. My hair just tangles like CRAZY with this method, granted I am the tangle queen here... I also used the wrong shampoo one time, but today I tried it with Aussie Aussome volume and no that didn't work. My hair feels nice while lathering it in, but once I begin to rinse it is HORRIFYING! The tangles got so bad I had to put some Aussie moist conditioner to at least detangle in the shower, and once it started drying it looked dull at felt very, very dry. So, now my hair is doused in a mix of coconut oil, jojoba oil scented with spearmint essential oil.

Now I'm worried about the oil because in the past when I have done heavy oilings my hair comes out dull, dull, dull.

I also hate being a product junkie, and the one time I found an AWESOME conditioner I ended up giving in and buying something else. The conditioner was Garnier Triple Nutrition, but I have tried it again recently and it didn't work the same. It left my hair looking dull, and my blonette hair with some weird looking tinge on it.

My hair just isn't happy anymore, I believe it's from when I had a run in with bulimia and now my birth control.

Sorry for my pitiful rant, I'm just hoping someone can give me some words of encouragement or something.

Thank you all!

Dizzy_zzz
November 7th, 2011, 04:47 PM
have you tried a protein treatment?

GabrielleRose
November 7th, 2011, 04:53 PM
have you tried a protein treatment?

I haven't done one recently, but maybe I should. Thanks for the recommendation!

spidermom
November 7th, 2011, 04:58 PM
If you could afford to treat yourself, go to a stylist and have them put a deep conditioning treatment on your hair and then put you under the hood dryer. My hair drinks that stuff down and responds by being as shiny as a mirror.

I've noticed the weirdest thing lately. It really surprises me. I did a clarifying wash, and since then I've been washing my hair with diluted shampoo and then doing a very diluted white vinegar rinse - about 1-2 tablespoons in 1 quart of water. My hair has responded to this by being very smooth and shiny, and the tangles practically fall out by themselves. I am truly amazed. I didn't think there was any way in the world I could ever go out in public without using conditioner, but I was wrong.

GabrielleRose
November 7th, 2011, 05:15 PM
If you could afford to treat yourself, go to a stylist and have them put a deep conditioning treatment on your hair and then put you under the hood dryer. My hair drinks that stuff down and responds by being as shiny as a mirror.

I've noticed the weirdest thing lately. It really surprises me. I did a clarifying wash, and since then I've been washing my hair with diluted shampoo and then doing a very diluted white vinegar rinse - about 1-2 tablespoons in 1 quart of water. My hair has responded to this by being very smooth and shiny, and the tangles practically fall out by themselves. I am truly amazed. I didn't think there was any way in the world I could ever go out in public without using conditioner, but I was wrong.

I will have to do just that. I feel so overwhelmed and I'm seriously dreading washing this oil out. Any tips?

That's pretty cool that you found something to work for you. I tired an ACV rinse with the shampoo oil method and that only helped a tiny bit.

jojo
November 7th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Ive been having this problem too, its a pain! Thanks for sharing the tip Spidey im gonna try that tomorrow

Yame
November 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Have you tried going back to the last thing that worked out for you?

Amber_Maiden
November 7th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I found, after all my experimenting, that shampooing and conditioning worked for me, sls and with cones and protein. :) It's weird that what I thought was wrecking my hair, my hair actually LIKES. Sometimes going back to your normal routine works.

GabrielleRose
November 7th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Have you tried going back to the last thing that worked out for you?

I actually did that tonight with both Aussie Moist shampoo and conditioner, but I was really hoping to get the oil method working for me.

I found, after all my experimenting, that shampooing and conditioning worked for me, sls and with cones and protein. :) It's weird that what I thought was wrecking my hair, my hair actually LIKES. Sometimes going back to your normal routine works.

Wow, may I ask what experimenting you did? The reason I'm experimenting is to try and find a way to prevent new split ends.

archel
November 7th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Oh my, I went through this too. Turns out S and C is for me! I just use a low-poo (no SLS) and a moisturizing conditioner with no cones. Depending on how my hair feels after that, I may use either oil or a coney serum if I'm really tangly.

GabrielleRose
November 7th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Oh my, I went through this too. Turns out S and C is for me! I just use a low-poo (no SLS) and a moisturizing conditioner with no cones. Depending on how my hair feels after that, I may use either oil or a coney serum if I'm really tangly.

I have a feeling that S&C will be for me as well, and I won't complain since it's usually cheaper than buying tons of other things,

May I ask what low-poo you are using and moisturizing cone-free conditioner you're using?

coffinhert
November 7th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Have you tried CWC? Thats where you put conditioner on your ends, then lather your scalp (but not the ends) then wash it all out and then do a regular conditioner step. That might help with your tangles but also allow you to shampoo as you like.

GabrielleRose
November 7th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Have you tried CWC? Thats where you put conditioner on your ends, then lather your scalp (but not the ends) then wash it all out and then do a regular conditioner step. That might help with your tangles but also allow you to shampoo as you like.

I have yet to try that, but I have been thinking of trying it.

What shampoos and conditioners work for this method?

Rockmoss
November 7th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I know a lot of the professional treatments out there are actually quite bad for your hair. I've got a lot of secret damage (I say secret because I put a ton of oil and product to disguise it). I'm looking for a solution too, but more long term. Is there anything out there that would give long lasting de-frizzing results like a keratin salon treatment would?

coffinhert
November 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Also I just saw your other post about using a coney conditioner. have you tried going no-cones for a while? I found that while cones sometimes made my hair really nice, at othertimes it felt really bad. ONce i stopped using cones all together, my hair is in better overall condition.

coffinhert
November 7th, 2011, 10:07 PM
For long-lasting defrizz ilike to rub a little coconut oil on a boar bristle brush and then brush it on my hair,at night before i go to bed. you have to figure out how much is little enough that it weighs your hair down without makng it look oily. there are other oils besides coconut oil that are lighter, like almond oil. theres also things like snowy moon treatment (there's a thread on it, SMT thread, search for it). if you want to smooth your hair down without a keratin treatment, try some of the different deep treatments suggested around here and see which ones work best for you. there is a weekly deep treatment thread, check that out for some ideas.

GabrielleRose
November 10th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Also I just saw your other post about using a coney conditioner. have you tried going no-cones for a while? I found that while cones sometimes made my hair really nice, at othertimes it felt really bad. ONce i stopped using cones all together, my hair is in better overall condition.

I have tried it off and on, and I experience a lot of frizz without cones. But that could just be I haven't found the right cone-free conditioner.

jesis
November 10th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Honestly, neither CO or Shampoo Oil Method did anything for me. CO left my hair very dull and Shampoo Oil Method left me too greasy.

I had to stick to Shampoo and Conditioner. I experimented and found one I love, so I stick to it. No need to change. I buy Redken Real Control, which is a more expensive brand, but I have found that I can buy a whole liter at the barbar shops downtown for only $10 a liter. Sometimes it's worth it to spend a little more initially to find something you'll really like.

Clarifying might help, when I get buildup my hair looks very dull and putting more products on it doesn't help.

When I oil, I oil prewash. :) hth

jesis
November 10th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Agreed. What works for some members on the LHC doesn't work for everyone. Although it is fun to experiment, we all have to learn to recognize when the changes we make aren't working and move on to the next thing! You'll find what works for you!

ladonna
November 10th, 2011, 10:24 AM
One of my daughter's has hair like your's I tried all kind of different things to make her hair shiny and fully, nothing worked, her hair was dull, flat, and oily. I started washing her hair with a coney conditioner and clarifying every once in awhile and her hair is very shiny and full.

kittymallow
November 10th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Do you detangle before you wash? And how do you apply and lather the shampoo?? I would have tried to detangle well, wet my hair, dillute shampoo with water and shake it in a bottle, pour that over your hair and gently massage only the scalp. It doesn't need to lather much. Rinse well and try to keep your hair as straight as possible and not thumble it around you. Apply conditioner and let it sit for a minute, rinse well and apply a vinegar rinse made by one litre of water and one table spoon vinegar. Hope this helps;) and I found grapeseed oil to help much more than coconut and evoo:)

GabrielleRose
November 12th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Honestly, neither CO or Shampoo Oil Method did anything for me. CO left my hair very dull and Shampoo Oil Method left me too greasy.

I had to stick to Shampoo and Conditioner. I experimented and found one I love, so I stick to it. No need to change. I buy Redken Real Control, which is a more expensive brand, but I have found that I can buy a whole liter at the barbar shops downtown for only $10 a liter. Sometimes it's worth it to spend a little more initially to find something you'll really like.

Clarifying might help, when I get buildup my hair looks very dull and putting more products on it doesn't help.

When I oil, I oil prewash. :) hth

Well, I've found something fantastic that gave me everything I want. It is the toadstool soap products. LOVE THEM!!!

One of my daughter's has hair like your's I tried all kind of different things to make her hair shiny and fully, nothing worked, her hair was dull, flat, and oily. I started washing her hair with a coney conditioner and clarifying every once in awhile and her hair is very shiny and full.

I'm glad you found something that worked for your daughter. :) I actually found something that gives me body, shine, and softness. It's Toadstool soaps. Maybe you can try those on her in case you're interested.

Do you detangle before you wash? And how do you apply and lather the shampoo?? I would have tried to detangle well, wet my hair, dillute shampoo with water and shake it in a bottle, pour that over your hair and gently massage only the scalp. It doesn't need to lather much. Rinse well and try to keep your hair as straight as possible and not thumble it around you. Apply conditioner and let it sit for a minute, rinse well and apply a vinegar rinse made by one litre of water and one table spoon vinegar. Hope this helps;) and I found grapeseed oil to help much more than coconut and evoo:)

I don't always detangle before I wash, but I will start trying to do it before every wash. I apply the shampoo on top of my hair and rub it in a little, but never pile it on top. I will try to dilute my shampoo, because I tend to use too much. I hope it works out. Thanks for your advice though. What does grapeseed oil do for you?

kittymallow
November 13th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Well, I've found something fantastic that gave me everything I want. It is the toadstool soap products. LOVE THEM!!!

I'm glad you found something that worked for your daughter. :) I actually found something that gives me body, shine, and softness. It's Toadstool soaps. Maybe you can try those on her in case you're interested.

I don't always detangle before I wash, but I will start trying to do it before every wash. I apply the shampoo on top of my hair and rub it in a little, but never pile it on top. I will try to dilute my shampoo, because I tend to use too much. I hope it works out. Thanks for your advice though. What does grapeseed oil do for you?
Oh i soo badly want to try toadstools but they don't ship to norway:( my hair has a lot of heat damage and tangles easy and I was so desperate because I was trying not to cut it until 2012 so I tried it just by luck and it made my hair supersoft and silky with no velcro ends :) now I apply a little drop in my hair after wash and when I feel like it is extra dry I sleep with Lots of it and washes it out in the morning :)

GabrielleRose
November 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Oh i soo badly want to try toadstools but they don't ship to norway:( my hair has a lot of heat damage and tangles easy and I was so desperate because I was trying not to cut it until 2012 so I tried it just by luck and it made my hair supersoft and silky with no velcro ends :) now I apply a little drop in my hair after wash and when I feel like it is extra dry I sleep with Lots of it and washes it out in the morning :)

I hope you get to try it.

My good results with it were short lived. :( They leave me with a feeling of residue, but it worked when I had freshly cut my hair back in August. :( I'm trying Dove nourishing oil care right now.

kittymallow
November 18th, 2011, 06:21 AM
I hope you get to try it.

My good results with it were short lived. :( They leave me with a feeling of residue, but it worked when I had freshly cut my hair back in August. :( I'm trying Dove nourishing oil care right now.

Try a vinegar rinse afterwards:) i have heard the toadstool shampoo is like a liquid bar so that is probably the reason it feels like residue. So an acidy rinse will most likely make it perfect again ;)

xyris
November 18th, 2011, 06:50 AM
When I was trying to get oils out of my hair, I had to do a couple of conditioner washes over the affected area with some gentle massaging and a lot of rinsing. I would also follow it up with an ACV rinse.

I would also clarify if you haven't done that in a while. I tend to clarify right before I do a SMT -- and my hair is so wonderful after that. But since I live in a dry area, I don't do it as often as I like.

Overall, my hair tangles like nothing else. But, CWC has helped me IMMENSELY. Right now I have some Suave and White Rain for my conditioners -- but using one of those 1st, then whatever shampoo I have, then with some Biolage... Oh yes. I definitely could feel a difference. I also tend to do some alternating days with CO to help extend time between using shampoo. Just depends on how dry my hair feels.

But don't try too many things at once, give things some time to work out.

I hope that helps! :)

GabrielleRose
November 18th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Try a vinegar rinse afterwards:) i have heard the toadstool shampoo is like a liquid bar so that is probably the reason it feels like residue. So an acidy rinse will most likely make it perfect again ;)

I may just have try that. Thank you!

When I was trying to get oils out of my hair, I had to do a couple of conditioner washes over the affected area with some gentle massaging and a lot of rinsing. I would also follow it up with an ACV rinse.

I would also clarify if you haven't done that in a while. I tend to clarify right before I do a SMT -- and my hair is so wonderful after that. But since I live in a dry area, I don't do it as often as I like.

Overall, my hair tangles like nothing else. But, CWC has helped me IMMENSELY. Right now I have some Suave and White Rain for my conditioners -- but using one of those 1st, then whatever shampoo I have, then with some Biolage... Oh yes. I definitely could feel a difference. I also tend to do some alternating days with CO to help extend time between using shampoo. Just depends on how dry my hair feels.

But don't try too many things at once, give things some time to work out.

I hope that helps! :)

I am definitely going to tone things down, because my hair is feeling really dry and making a crunchy sound, and I have scalp sores. :(

I just want to find the right things for my hair, but the search continues!