PDA

View Full Version : What's your routine & Fav deep condish?

Kilandra
November 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Greetings!

I'm new here but been lurking and reading for a while now. I had my hair cut to a near pixie in January and been regrowing it since. I just decided to ditch the highlighting/coloring and go all naturale` with my hair in August.

I see some ladies here have beautiful hair. Shiny, strong looking hair that I can only dream of! What kind of routines help you ladies get those silky tresses? I guess my questions are:

1) Do you get your hair wet everyday? I know that sounds weird but when I see people mention that they only wash their hair every few days it makes me wonder what are you doing with it while you shower each day? Or are people doing a w/o or c/o "washing" each day?

2) Do you *gently* comb your hair into place while it's wet? I ask this because I have a super cow lick in the front of my hair and I think without at least combing that over I'd look like Alfalfa but I'm interested to know if anyone else combs while their hair is wet...

3) What is your favorite deep (naturalish) conditioner? I see SMT and I think I'm going to give that a go. I tried the aloe/jojoba oil mister spray as a leave on but that left my hair looking oily :confused:

4) At what length do you really need to start keeping your hair up?

Thanks ladies!:D

hendricks82
November 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I don't wet my hair between washes. Well maybe a spritz if I am trying to set some curls with a sock bun or magnetic rollers. While in the shower I wrap my hair in a Turbie Twist towel and just keep it out of the water.

As far as coming while wet, I don't but my hair is long enough to weight itself down to lay properly. Maybe someone with shorter hair will be able to answer this better.

I deep treat with coconut oil to the length. I leave it on for a few hours before I wash. I tried SMT but had some weird white clumpy ball things throughout my hair that were a pain to get out, and I'm not willing to switch my conditioner.

As far as putting it up, I would think as soon as you can. The idea is to protect your length from day to day damage, so that it can grow grow grow.

Welcome, and happy growing!

Welcome and happy growing!!

isabelx
November 7th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Welcome! :blossom:

1. I wet my hair pretty much every day, only because I'm a conditioner junkie and am constantly buying and trying out new products :) I am trying to cut down though, honest!

2. I don't comb my hair whilst it's wet, I kind of 'lift' it up off my scalp so it'll dry quicker, and then when it's around 70% dry I finger comb it.

3. I'm not too clued up on natural deep conditioners, simply because I'm yet to find a good one myself! I haven't tried it yet but I would recommend an SMT, simply because of the great feeback it gets.

4. I'm only a few inches past my shoulders and I wear it up everyday, hair at this length is awkward and so prone to damage so I try to keep how often I wear it down to a minimum.

Kilandra
November 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Isa, how do you wear your hair up at that length? My back portion is just touching my shoulder and the stylist I went to put so many layers in my hair that I think I need bobby pins just for a pony tail :mad:

Ty for the welcome :)

AlicesPlatforms
November 7th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I shampoo/condition every single day, my scalp is too oily, and my hair is too dry to not do so :/

I only mess with my bangs when my hair is wet--- otherwise I'd be ripping out some hair!! Not everyone is like that though.

I use pantene's shampoo/conditioner/leave in for fine hair, the spray on leave in is great for detangling and adding moisture! When I use a chemical on my hair, I'll buy a packet of deep conditioner at Sallys. Ion's has worked pretty great, and so has One 'n' only's argan oil one.

Lapin
November 7th, 2011, 01:46 PM
After some trial and error, I CWC. I've noticed people with similar hair tend to do the same. I don't have much length to pre-condition, but what length I have seems to like it.

I would love to not comb my hair when wet. I can hear and feel the damage it does, but not combing leaves me with pseudo-dreads. Even finger combing doesn't cut it. I go slow and steady, fwiw.

Annnndddd, the real reason I wanted to contribute here is on the hairstyle part. I bought a cheap-o Goody brand U-shaped pin, and it is my workhouse and has been the gateway to all other styles. As long as you can sorta wrangle a ponytail, you should be good. All drug stores carry it, and here's a link to a picture so you know what it looks like.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ji3-wHku2iQ/TDUuuhcjbII/AAAAAAAACBc/CE99LnN5XG4/s1600/hr033.jpg

SunnyRainStorm
November 7th, 2011, 01:53 PM
My current routine is to shampoo/condition every other day or every 2 days. I just started doing a deep conditioner such as SMT or oiling on the weekends. I wear my hair down more often than up. It is below shoulder length.

Amber_Maiden
November 7th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I wash my hair every 7+ days, and that is the only time my hair gets wet, unless its raining outside.

I do comb my hair when it's wet, but not to style it, I find its just easier to get tangles out.

I only use organic CO. I use this as a deep CO treatment by leaving it in longer.

I started wearing my hear up more when I got to waist, but I wore it up most of the time before that.

isabelx
November 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Isa, how do you wear your hair up at that length? My back portion is just touching my shoulder and the stylist I went to put so many layers in my hair that I think I need bobby pins just for a pony tail :mad:

Ty for the welcome :)

I shouldn't have said just past my shoulders, I'm around 2 inches from my armpits, sorry! Nevertheless it is difficult to put my hair up at this length, I have layers too so the shortest layers kind of just flap around as they're not long enough to fit in the updo :) I usually just bring all my hair back, twist it, tuck the ends in and then secure it closely to my head with a claw clip :)

jojo
November 7th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Hi and welcome!

1) Do you get your hair wet everyday? I know that sounds weird but when I see people mention that they only wash their hair every few days it makes me wonder what are you doing with it while you shower each day? Or are people doing a w/o or c/o "washing" each day?
I wash my hair twice a week and do nothing in between other than put it up

2) Do you *gently* comb your hair into place while it's wet? I ask this because I have a super cow lick in the front of my hair and I think without at least combing that over I'd look like Alfalfa but I'm interested to know if anyone else combs while their hair is wet...Yes I do comb it through when wet, but I make the job easier by combing my hair as the conditioner is being washed out, so a quick comb through is quite easy. I also use a wide toothed shower comb, I also use a kids detangler spray when combing dry hair!

3) What is your favorite deep (naturalish) conditioner? I see SMT and I think I'm going to give that a go. I tried the aloe/jojoba oil mister spray as a leave on but that left my hair looking oily I use Avon's advocado and almond oil conditioner which is full of cones but I don't have no problem with cones, I also love tigi moisture maniac conditioner and I use Mane N Tail deep moisture conditioner 2x a month for protein

4) At what length do you really need to start keeping your hair up? I think shoulder is a good time to start putting hair up as at this length it catches on stuff. I wear my hair up most days apart from around the house, my hair is nearly hip so it becomes a tangled mess if i dont!!
other things that i do is use oil daily, very lightly on my very ends and I do a SMT once a month
hope this helps and good luck with your journey

tori93
November 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I'm new here but been lurking and reading for a while now. I had my hair cut to a near pixie in January and been regrowing it since. I just decided to ditch the highlighting/coloring and go all naturale` with my hair in August.

I see some ladies here have beautiful hair. Shiny, strong looking hair that I can only dream of! What kind of routines help you ladies get those silky tresses? I guess my questions are:

1) Do you get your hair wet everyday? I don't get my hair wet everyday, i wash and condition every other or every 2 days. My hair isn't that long so it's easy to avoid getting wet in the shower.

2) Do you *gently* comb your hair into place while it's wet? yes i comb my hair when it is wet with a wide tooth comb after applying a leave in conditioner. My hair doesn't tangle at all so i don't have to pull on my hair.

3) What is your favorite deep (naturalish) conditioner? I like coconut oil and my favourite brand conditioners are boots coconut and almond intensive conditioner and aussie 3 minute miracle reconstrucer.

tori93
November 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM
oops i posted some of what you posted again...

celebriangel
November 7th, 2011, 07:11 PM
1) nope! I put my hair up with an acrylic hairstick and point the shower away from my hair. Sometimes the nape gets a little bit damp, but I call it good.

2) Yep! I have to because I prefer to wash upside down, and if I didn't my hair would dry all strange...it doesn't seem to affect my curls much. I'm not actually detangling - I do that in the shower with conditioner in my hair - just arranging the hair and parting it. I tend to damp bun, too, which pretty much requires combing.

3) I love my modified SMT recipe: I still use the 4 parts conditioner, 1 part AVG, 1 part honey mix, but I also add 1 part 50/50 mix of melted coconut oil and shea butter. I don't like either of these as leave-ins, but they work great as rinse-outs. I use superdrug's conefree coconut and sweet almond oil intensive conditioner for this, or Sainsbury's apple.

4) I'd say about APL, as this is the length it starts a) getting caught in stuff, and b) rubbing against the back of your chair. It's why a lot of people struggle to get past BSL; I'd *definitely* start putting it up then.

shikara
November 7th, 2011, 10:54 PM
As you can see, the magic must lie in finding out what works best for your own unique head of hair! I wash twice a week, and do a prewash oil scalp treatment with a mix of castor, jojoba, and rosemary, and will be adding lavender to the mix. On the weekday wash it sits on my scalp for about one to two hours, and on the weekend, it's overnight. Because of the oil, I first wash my scalp with volumizing shampoo a little diluted, then I follow with a shampoo bar. My hair does not like conditioners of any kind.

Dars
November 8th, 2011, 01:15 AM
1. Do you get your hair wet everyday?

No. I just put it up in a bun on top of my head when I am not washing it. I wash it 1-2 times a week max.

2. Do you gently comb your hair into place while it's wet?

No, I do not touch my hair with anything, including towels, after my final rinse. I do this to enhance my curl pattern, combing it would ruin my curls.

3. What is your favorite deep conditioner?

I just regular conditioner, it does enough.

4. At what length do you really need to start keeping your hair up?

You don't need to keep your hair up at any point. It's personal preference, however I started wearing my hair up before it even reached my shoulders.

Bish
November 8th, 2011, 02:20 AM
1. I wash my hair 2 times a week. In between I use a shower cap.

2. Yes, I use a wide tooth wooden comb.

3. I have a Yes to Carrots deep conditioning mask now, which works great! And also coconut oil deep treatment.

4. I probably won't, because I like my hair down. But I think you should notice that moment for yourself, when you get more splits of breakage or when it gets in your way. :)

kanaka
November 8th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I wash my hair twice a week and dont wet my hair again in between

I dont comb my hair when it is wet.

I dont use any conditioner. But use Evoo as deep treatment and leave it overnight, wash it next day

I think shoulder or APL. my hair is never at these lengths so i cant answer it correctly

Welcome! :flower: