PDA

View Full Version : Does your hair type change as it grows? (Lots of Pics!)

Miss Maisie
November 7th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I have had chin length hair most of my (adult) life, and I would have told you that my hair was 1a/1b at that length. As it got a little longer (and after I gave up cones) I thought, "Okay, it's a 1c...maybe 2a." As it gets longer though (I'm currently lost in the shoulder to APL abyss) I feel like I'm getting more waves. Has anyone else experienced this?

For example:

The back of my hair in August
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8493&pictureid=110445

The back of my hair today (and I cheated - I lightly ran a comb through it, it's not just air dried)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9058&pictureid=118344

I've trimmed about half an inch since those pics were taken, so I'm not too disappointed in the lack of growth. It seems to get bigger before it gets longer!

Also, sides:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8493&pictureid=110444

and today (uncombed, then combed)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9058&pictureid=118342

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9058&pictureid=118341

Did anyone else experience this? I would love to get more even waves as it gets longer!

Avital88
November 7th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Nice! although i think that once your past apl they get less,at least that happens to me and most of the girls i know. if i had your length i would have a full head of curls ,now theyre just hanging there and more wurls or waves:) enjoy it as long as it last i would say:)

spidermom
November 7th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Mine did. I had bushy hair at shorter lengths with very little discernible wave or curl. By shoulder length, it was obviously wavy and BIG. By BSL, curls formed. My hair still ranges from 1B to 2C, depending on how I handle it after it's washed. The first day is the waviest/curliest day, and it gets progressively straighter the more I comb/bun it.

ebba
November 7th, 2011, 12:55 PM
well my hair is still relatively short, almost bsl, but if my hair was shorter than shoulder length it would be huge and poofy and afro-like in it's curls. the longer it gets, the more it calms down. So yes, like Avital88 said, they definatly tame themselves if its curly, but i also have seen people grow their straight hair out to find waves. Good luck growing!

UP Lisa
November 7th, 2011, 01:02 PM
My waves don't really show till my hair gets at least to shoulder length. It looks straight before that.

BlazingHeart
November 7th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I get wavier once I am a couple inches past chin and continues increasing until a couple inches past shoulder, and then it seems to stay the same for a long time. I'm at waist now and have about the same waves as I had a couple inches past shoulder.

newbeginning
November 7th, 2011, 03:11 PM
When I cut my hair short I was surprised at how wavy it was. Now it's longer I'm sad that the waves are starting to straighten out due to the weight/length.

tori93
November 7th, 2011, 04:34 PM
i think so, when my hair was chin length it was practically straight and now it is at collarbone it is wavy all over with a few loose ringlets underneath and around hairline. I imagine that it will get wavier as it gets longer but the weight will eventually straighten it out again.

dulce
November 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM
For me,definitely!!The shorter it is,the curlier.Now that I am approximately waist,the curl shows on new short hair around the front of the face,and on the longer hair,the curls now start about halfway down my back. If I want it curlier now I do the "plop" technique.

Orangerthanred
November 7th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I think so. My hair is growing out from a relaxer. My bangs, which are almost all grown in, are 2c. The back of my hair, where it is heaviest and longest, is 1c, even at the new roots. The shorter my hair is, the curlier/wavier it is I guess.

FrozenBritannia
November 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I was kind of wondering the same thing.

Love your waves btw, they look awesome!

KwaveT
November 7th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I know mine does even though it isn't long yet. At CL and short all around, my hair looks deceptively straight. As my bangs have grown out and length is at bottom of neck, my hair has gotten a lot of wave in it. My hair has gone from basically 1a to 2a in just months. I expect as it gets much longer that some of the wave will be pulled out of my hair by weight of hair. By no means will it be straight again. Also wet my hair is straighter, but when dry it becomes very much wavier,

JamieLeigh
November 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Mine has actually gotten wavier as it's gotten longer...but it's for several reasons.

One is that my body went through a lot of hormonal changes when I had kids (I had 7 pregnancies within a 9 year period!), another is that I stopped using blow-dryers, brushes and silicones...3 things alone that will take the wave out of my hair. Another is that I don't think the extra length = extra weight rule applied to me, as I shed out my more coarse hairs during those hormonal fluctuations and kept in the light, floaty fine ones.

SilentGuardian
November 7th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Same for me. My hair has started getting a bit of wave this last year. I have had my current length before, but never noticed any wave because my hair used to be so puffy and damaged. My longest layer is at about APL, so I'm hoping for my hair to wave a bit more

PixxieStix
November 7th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I've never noticed any difference ( of course I am drawing on a memory of when my hair was long like..... 8 years ago? X_x ), and as it's been growing, it's pretty much remained the same. I'd love it if I did end up with some real waves as it grew longer, and who knows, with the change in texture from the hair on my crown, maybe I'll get something a little different this time around!

LovingLife
November 8th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Hey! I also am I strong believer in this due to the fact that my hair at chin length was about a 3c length and now at APL is 3b with lots of 3a :) I did a thread on this :) we should merge them :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=81021
There should be one thread to showcase all of the pictures :)

julliams
November 8th, 2011, 04:40 AM
If you take a look at my avatar you can see most of the waviness is in the lower length of my hair. Mine starts being somewhat wavy at the back of my head but the curlier parts are after APL on me.

Slamca
November 8th, 2011, 04:52 AM
For me, the longer it is, the curlier it gets. I see no logic in it, but maybe it's getting drier and thus curlier? I don't know, can't complain :)