PDA

View Full Version : Found my first sparkly today.

tigereye
November 7th, 2011, 10:00 AM
:bigeyes: I was playing around with my hair today and I found a really thick, curly, almost black hair. I pulled a bit at it, thinking it wasn't one of my own hairs, to find it was actually attached to my head. Then it snapped close to the root, which was at the back of my head, on a flat part I have on my head (random genetic thing, the flat part - all the girls on my mums side of the family has it).
When I took it around to look at it from the front, I could see that the hair changed dramatically around 9" from the root end. It was closer to my normal strand thickness, and straight, but the striking difference was the colour.
The hair went from being almost black to being the kind of dark strawberry-blonde I've seen light-haired people here get after a few hennas. I have hennaed 3 times, but the last time was a couple of weeks ago, so I looked at the root end, where the regrowth was.

It was pure white. And I mean really pure white.

I love people sparkles, and want to some day be the old woman with long white hair,:D but I'm slightly in denial. I'm only 17 and I love my dark red I get from my henna and the red blaze from the sun.
At the same time, this hair was odd anyway for the rest of the length, so maybe it's just that one hair.:confused:
I know my mum went white early, but I never thought I would be this early..

Amber_Maiden
November 7th, 2011, 10:13 AM
wow. 17 is really young to start getting grey hairs...

well, that said I had a crazy dream last night where I discovered a grey hair... But it was only a dream. :p

mora
November 7th, 2011, 10:20 AM

It was pure white. And I mean really pure white.

I love people sparkles, and want to some day be the old woman with long white hair,:D but I'm slightly in denial. I'm only 17 and I love my dark red I get from my henna and the red blaze from the sun.
At the same time, this hair was odd anyway for the rest of the length, so maybe it's just that one hair.:confused:
I know my mum went white early, but I never thought I would be this early..

I think it might be just that one hair. I had white hairs in high school, over ten years ago, but they haven't really taken over my head like I thought they would.

How old was your mom when she became significiantly white-haired?

Rybe
November 7th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I found grays in middle school, and had had female relatives who were gray by 30, but my hair is certainly not gray (mid 20s now) I've also found coarse black hairs, brown hairs, red hairs, super curly hairs and all sorts of mutants. Until they start ganging up I wouldn't worry too much about it :) you might go gray early! But one hair is too soon to tell.

tigereye
November 7th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I think it might be just that one hair. I had white hairs in high school, over ten years ago, but they haven't really taken over my head like I thought they would.

How old was your mom when she became significiantly white-haired?

It's hard for me to tell, because I wasn't around at the time (She was 39 when she had me), and she has always dyed her hair as long as I've been in this world, to cover them up. I'm going on her word that she started early. She's off abroad on holiday, and tends not to take her phone with her to avoid insane phone bills, and work hassles, so I can't ask her how old she was. I definitely will though.
She also has pure white hair under the dye. It comes through when her hair grows out. She told me before she had thought about giving up the dye, but didn't want to have to spend time to grow out the dye either. But I know she gets frustrated at the dryness of her hair now, because otherwise she treats it well. She is BSL, so would be waiting it out for a while.

Phew. I'm glad it only seems like one hair. I guess it'll come back eventually, seeing as it only broke, rather than fell out. I guess my henna-ings will at least redden it enough to blend in a little better. As much as I love sparlklies, I would love to carry on henna-ing without radioactive orange strands popping up here and there.:rolleyes:

tigereye
November 7th, 2011, 11:18 AM
On a totally different note, however, my dad, doing the opposite of everyone else, was born with almost pure white hair, which proceeded to darken to chestnut brown, and is only just now turning significantly grey (a dark grey, though) having just turned 60. Sure he always had a few, but it seems he fended them off for quite some time.

coneyisland
November 7th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Congratulations! :cheese:

SteelRose
November 7th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I agree with the others that it is probably just a random mutant hair, though my hair started really blonde and darkened up to light brown. Now after two kids I think my hormone rollercoaster has caused my hair to pick up an auburn tint. Of course, I dyed my hair for many years before my first child so maybe it happened sooner and I just didn't know it. Either way I really like it and haven't wanted to color my hair since I noticed for the first time since high school.

invisiblebabe
November 7th, 2011, 11:40 AM
One of my friends has the prettiest white highlights all over the top layer of her hair. It is naturally curly, so you can't see the different streaks too well unless she straightens it, but when it is straight it looks like she got it highlighted (but better!).

Mythica
November 7th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I have random blonde hairs that show up in the front where generally the women on my mother's side of the family start greying first. They do the color change too--ie, start out blonde around the root for 4-5 inches, then go back to brown/black for the rest of the length.
Henna turns them a nice shade of auburn while the rest of my hair goes burgundy. :laugh: So they're still my "sparklies" in a sense, but I like the red on me better than any blonde bits.

Congrats on finding your first one! It's fun finding those one or two hairs that are different.

Freckled.Thing
November 9th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I'm 17 too and I have a number of silver hairs. I was probably... 15 or so when I first noticed them. I'd guess there are about 5-10 of them in a clump on the back right of my head. I don't love them but I tolerate them. There's nothing really to do but dye them or learn to live with them, and I know which is easier for me.

HumanBean
November 9th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I started getting white hairs at 15. But I'm 40 now and they are still random and occassional. So how young you are I don't think is an indicator. How many and how frequent would be.

Would you believe some of my eyelashes are now starting to turn white? That's weird!

MasCat
November 10th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I noticed my first gray when I was 17-18. It;s smewhere on my temple.

Anyway, it's more than ten years after that and I still can't see overall greying. Genetics ;)

Bene
November 10th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I found my gray hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=84811) earlier this year, although I'm quite a bit older than 17. I tossed back a few shots of Jack to welcome the new addition to the hair party.

In your case, toss back a few shots of chocolate milk and celebrate the new shiny :)

DCN
November 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Sparkly! Congratulations!
Just like we are so complex and multifaceted so is our hair. I have been gathering gray hairs for about ten years but they are coming in very slowly. I think of them as highlights.
My hair is also changing towards curly. That is exciting and strange!
Enjoy your sparkly!