PDA

View Full Version : opinion on "trim"

hendricks82
November 7th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Okay ladies, I am having some serious debating going on in my head. DDs hair is growing kinda crazy. She has this one LONG curl... I know it needs to go really I do, but I just can't bring myself to get her hair cut. Its her hair... and its soft and pretty and curly and sooooo sweet.

My mom even suggested just snipping the tail (as we have been calling it lol) and leaving the rest be.

So, should I leave it, snip the tail, or take her and have the whole mess shaped up?

Here are some pics. The first is my little one and her tail. In the second I pinned up the tail to see what it would look like. Her hair is a bit unkempt today, but ehh... she's two and wasn't feeling a styling session :p

Thanks for the input ladies! I'm a crazy distraught Momma over this. We have been back and forth for months, and the darn thing just gets longer and longer!

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/hendricks82/Hair/IMG_20111107_083054.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/hendricks82/Hair/IMG_20111107_083157.jpg

hendricks82
November 7th, 2011, 07:49 AM
P.S. I am also accepting tips on curly headed little girls. I have learned on this board that you aren't supposed to brush curls, but hers get matted at night, and I haven't found a way around it... hence the wacky stuff you see. I have been misting before I brush and sometimes using a detangling spray.

We have had crazy improvement since I learned how to oil it! Thanks LHC

Avital88
November 7th, 2011, 07:50 AM
hmm interesting,, i wanted to say leave it, but if it was my child i would also snip it off:)
Its cute but confusing haha

Anywhere
November 7th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I would snip it off. It reminds me of this one kid who went to elementary school with me who had a "rat tail". Everyone always made fun of him. :(

Fairytale
November 7th, 2011, 07:58 AM
First of all I must say she has beautiful hair !:)
My son also has a crazy thing going with a long curl that just always pops up I just cut that sucker down.LOL :rolleyes:
If I was you I would snip it ,just that piece and it would be a pretty bob for a while and see what happens when it starts growing again . just my humble opinion good luck on whatever you decide.

hendricks82
November 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I would snip it off. It reminds me of this one kid who went to elementary school with me who had a "rat tail". Everyone always made fun of him. :(

This is why we started calling it the tail... she does have a rat tail.

lapushka
November 7th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I would snip it, even it up with the rest of the hair and keep the curl. Maybe tie a bow around it and keep it in an envelope, journal of some kind or baby book, whatever you have.

bunzfan
November 7th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I had hair just like that as a kid. It looks cute but, i would snip the long piece it will grow down and look better for it.

vintage88
November 7th, 2011, 08:11 AM
She has such beautiful hair! I personally like the 'rat tail', I love how curly it is! But if you were to trim it then it would make her hair more even, all of her lovely curls would be the same length and i'm sure it would grow back in no time:)

UltraBella
November 7th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I love it !!!! I wouldn't snip it at all, it's adorable !!!!

My daughter had similar curls when she was little and her hair changed quite quickly and the curls were gone. I really missed them after we cut them off, I say enjoy the beautiful curl for now :)

hendricks82
November 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Thank you ladies. I have never cut hair before. I was thinking just tie a pony around it and snip it just above the pony? This would help me keep my precious little curl intact. So you don't think it would affect her later hemline if I just snipped it off?

Oh lordy my heart is racing just thinking about it LOL I am so crazy! I am trying so hard to give her the best hair possible and being very intentional about her hair care. I do NOT want to mess it up.

I just hear so many people that have never cut their hair and that was what I wanted for her... at least until she has an opinion on it, but alas... it must go :-(

hendricks82
November 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I love it !!!! I wouldn't snip it at all, it's adorable !!!!

My daughter had similar curls when she was little and her hair changed quite quickly and the curls were gone. I really missed them after we cut them off, I say enjoy the beautiful curl for now :)

Thank you :-) It looks so sweet in a ponytail, and her piggies are adorable little spirals. I just can't get enough of those ringlets!

You are a hairdresser, is there anyway to "know" if the curls will stay? That is my worst fear. That I will cut it and it will go straight and the rest will still be curly.

UltraBella
November 7th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Thank you :-) It looks so sweet in a ponytail, and her piggies are adorable little spirals. I just can't get enough of those ringlets!

You are a hairdresser, is there anyway to "know" if the curls will stay? That is my worst fear. That I will cut it and it will go straight and the rest will still be curly.

There isn't a way to know, unfortunately. Many children lose their childhood curls. I was quite sad about my daughter's. In fact, she went through a period around kindergarten when her hair became completely straight. It is nice and wavy now though, but those little ringlets were forever gone :(

GeoJ
November 7th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I would snip it. I say that because that's what I did with my DD. I did trims straight across the bottom anytime her hair started to look uneven. Now she is nearly 6 with long hair and a thick hemline. I also kept the hair from her first haircut and put it in my journal about her (like a baby book, but more extensive).

My DD also had curls at that age. I didn't brush, but used a seamless widetooth comb for detangling. If her hair was really tangled, I would detangle in the shower, with a lot of conditioner in her hair. I braided her hair, both for bed and for daytime, as soon as it was long enough to braid. I usually did WO or CO washes on her, and that worked great for her hair- made it form into nice spirals.

I accomplished hairstyling time by putting her on a tall stool and allowing her to watch a short DVD while I detangled and styled her hair. She is very high energy and it still worked to do this. Now she is old enough to stand in front of me while I style, and she gets to (mostly) choose the styles.

Your daughter's hair looks soft and shiny, so I'm sure she'll look cute no matter what you decide. :)

Annibelle
November 7th, 2011, 08:40 AM
When the rest of the hair is stretched, is it closer to the same length as that curl? If so, I would leave it, try some curly girl methods, and see what happens. If not, I'd say snip it and keep it forever! :)

milk
November 7th, 2011, 08:43 AM
It's so cute, I wouldn't snip it off. It brings so much personality to her hair, I love it!

turtlelover
November 7th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I say trim just that section.

Rocket22
November 7th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I think it should go.

hendricks82
November 7th, 2011, 09:07 AM
When the rest of the hair is stretched, is it closer to the same length as that curl? If so, I would leave it, try some curly girl methods, and see what happens. If not, I'd say snip it and keep it forever! :)

Not at all. The front is chin, the back is mostly APL, and the tail is at waist.

heidi w.
November 7th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Being that she's two and you're complaining of additional matting, I'd take her to a kid salon stylist that's a professional at dealing with kids this young, and have the whole thing shaped a bit. It might help with some of that tangling problem, a little.

Have her sleep on a slippery fabric'd pillowcase such as satin, sateen, or polyester. Believe it or not, cotton is a kind of harsh fabric when hair encounters it. It will make a bit of difference.

I recommend always using the detangler spray when working on her hair. She is very young, and too young to learn that longer length is painful or a pain somehow, which I'm sure you understand.

Young children's hair is not the same as "adult" hair in texture nor behavior, for the most part. It is generally very fine, and a bit hard to manage, til around the age of 7-10 yrs of age, when it changes to more adult hair. It changes again through high school and again in the early or mid-20s. Then it tends to stay the same in texture and behavior through about 50, barring any other issues which the symptoms can show in the hair, such as thyroid condition.

So you have a while to go with this head of hair, and babyfine, to the brink where even a little kiddie barrette may not stay in the hair well.

I recommend detangling prior to bedtime, and when it gets long enough considering the idea of braiding in double braids for sleeping, perhaps. It'll make the morning routine a bit easier, I bet.

Curly hair that's fine probably can't well tolerate a conditioner only washing, but curly hair tends to need more moisture than straighter hair types. She has a fair amount of body, and a different product scheme might be considered. For that you could consider consulting with the kiddie professional stylist. They might have some good suggestions.

I would trim the tail off, personally. It is a fashion these days to have tails of sorts, but the pop stars may have this and they decorate it or color it or feather it (with a real feather), and more often then not clip it into the hair as an additional decorative element, I notice anyway.

Well, good luck with your project.

I recommend you consider the book Curly Girl to help your daughter eventually learn how to handle her hair type, such as detangling with a wide-toothed comb. Brushing will tend to pull more hair out and loosen the coiled locks of curl, causing and creating eventual poof.

Just some suggestions to try, at least.
heidi w.

Amber_Maiden
November 7th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I'd snip... it will be much easier to manage and it will look much better.

jojo
November 7th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Both my girls had and still have curly hair (wish they would stop straightening their hair though!). Your daughters hair is a little looser curl than my daughters but id leave it be, its cute! reminds of a little tail too, a golden angels tail id call it not a rats..rats are horrible but thats adorable!

If you do trim, id have it put in a locket as a lovely keepsake.

spidermom
November 7th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I think it depends on her age. If she's going to school and people are making fun of her, yes - I'd have it shaped up. But if she's a toddler - leave it. It's adorable! For a lot of little children, once you cut the curl, it's gone forever.

ETA: Went back and looked. She's 2? Leave it for now!

hendricks82
November 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Heidi! What lovely and well thought out advice. Thank you.

She has a sateen pillowcase, and I have been CO washing her hair and shampooing once a week, with coconut oil occasionally. We even put on her "pirate hat" after her washes... yes I plop my 2 year old :-)

I didn't realize that there was an entire book on the CG method. I will definitely grab a copy, and that would be a lovely gift for my sister as well.

I have called and made an appointment with my stylist to have her hair cut at 4:00 today. (DH did not want me to cut it) I will talk with her and see what all needs to be done, I had never thought that a trim might affect the tangling issue, but it makes sense. I trust my stylist, as I actually had to talk her into the chop I did a few months ago to even out my hemline. It was quite a chop, but my hemline looks so much better.

Now... who is going to come hold my hand while the snip my little curl???

I'll post pics this evening!

spidermom
November 7th, 2011, 10:52 AM
That's kind of sad, but as long as they don't cut my grandson's curls any time soon, I'll be o.k.

heidi w.
November 7th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I want to recommend that the stylist trim your daughter's hair while dry, not wet. I also want to recommend that you consider providing a specific measurement of hair to be trimmed, not just vaguely state please trim. Cause if it's wet, the hair stretches a bit more, curly hair does, and once dry it can appear as though a whole lot more was trimmed than was because curly hair, once dry, really bounces up more than straight hair does. It's lighter weight, you see.

heidi w.

heidi w.
November 7th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Heidi! What lovely and well thought out advice. Thank you.

She has a sateen pillowcase, and I have been CO washing her hair and shampooing once a week, with coconut oil occasionally. We even put on her "pirate hat" after her washes... yes I plop my 2 year old :-)

I didn't realize that there was an entire book on the CG method. I will definitely grab a copy, and that would be a lovely gift for my sister as well.

I have called and made an appointment with my stylist to have her hair cut at 4:00 today. (DH did not want me to cut it) I will talk with her and see what all needs to be done, I had never thought that a trim might affect the tangling issue, but it makes sense. I trust my stylist, as I actually had to talk her into the chop I did a few months ago to even out my hemline. It was quite a chop, but my hemline looks so much better.

Now... who is going to come hold my hand while the snip my little curl???

I'll post pics this evening!

Don't be in a hurry to make a decision. One thought is to ask your daughter what she might want, but a 2 yr old can be a bit fickle, not really understanding the end results.

If DH doesn't want it cut, ask him about his reasoning. Just to see. He might be mad otherwise for not listening to him.

She shouldn't need very much of a trim, really.

Anyhow, good luck. I think the other mother's offering that cutting a coiled curly lock can result on non-curly locks may have a point for your to consider. But her hair is going to be what it's going to be no matter if you trim or not.

heidi w.

invisiblebabe
November 7th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I would personally trim it, but it's up to you! Good luck, whichever you decide :) One thing that might help with the tangles at night is using a comb, not a brush.

My brother's hair started growing in really curly at that age. Before then, it was straight! Whether or not it grows curly is determined by the roots, not the ends.

hendricks82
November 7th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Hubby wants it cut. He just doesn't want *me* to cut it. The last thing I want on my hands is a mad daddy! We aboutbeen thinking about cutting it since the summer, and I'm finally convinced that the rest of her hair will never catch up. The difference in the main hair and the tail is only growing. Since I do want her to have an even hemline, it will have to be cut at some point. This is definitely not a rushed decision.

I just wanted a poll from you ladies to help make the final decision.

jeanniet
November 7th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I think it's cute, but I would want it cut before preschool unless rattails are common in your area to avoid teasing. I love curls on toddlers. My younger son had very curly hair and I hated cutting it. I finally let him buzz it for a trip to Mexico when he was five, and then he refused to grow it out until this year (he's 15 now) and he still has those amazing curls. Maybe even curlier than before, and of course a lot thicker than his toddler hair. But if his hair gets too long he still wants it buzzed off--why he can't just trim it a little I don't know, but he won't. So he grows it out, buzzes it off, grows it out... I guess I should be happy I get to see the curls at all! :rolleyes:

BlazingHeart
November 7th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I think trimming the longest curls will look better.

Don't brush curly hair, comb it, and make sure you have a wide-toothed seamless comb. I'd either look here for recommendations or get one at a Sally's where you can feel it and make sure it doesn't have rough places that can catch. It really is important that it be wide-toothed instead of narrow-toothed, because that will let the hair slide through more smoothly. Detangle with conditioner on. It might be worth getting a detangling spray for her hair, if you continue having trouble with knots and mats. It was an absolute necessity when I was a kid (though I had stick-straight hair at the time).

~Blaze

ladonna
November 7th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I would have the shorter layer's blended in with the "tail." One of my daughter's has super curly hair and so does my son. I only use conditioner on them and coconut oil, thier hair really soak's up the oil.

McFearless
November 7th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Aw its cute. I'd snip off the tail but keep the v-shape. I dont think she needs an overall cut.

hendricks82
November 7th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Ta-Da!!
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/hendricks82/Hair/CIMG2920-1.jpg

Angie ponytailed the "tail" and snipped it off then did the tiniest bit of evening out in the back. The profile pic shows the cut better than the rear does.

...and the best news?? It curled right back up!! whew!

Slinks
November 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM
awwwwww cute !! :-) did she cry :-( lol

jeanniet
November 7th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Adorable! :)

hendricks82
November 7th, 2011, 04:49 PM
awwwwww cute !! :-) did she cry :-( lol

She did tear up, but only because thewhole situation was so unfamiliar... me on the other hand...

LOL!! I think I may snuggle with my rat tail tonight. Its the cutest tiny little curl :-(

JamieLeigh
November 7th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Aww! That looks so adorable! My girls never had curls like that...my DD6 has always had straight, babyfine blonde hair and my DD10 had wavy, thick hair from day 1. *sigh*

I would save that one little curl forever. :crush:

jojo
November 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
aww she still a little cutie

jaine
November 7th, 2011, 08:09 PM
The haircut looks great! Yay :)

There isn't a way to know, unfortunately. Many children lose their childhood curls. I was quite sad about my daughter's. In fact, she went through a period around kindergarten when her hair became completely straight. It is nice and wavy now though, but those little ringlets were forever gone :(

I thought I lost my childhood curls but I didn't ... I just started brushing my hair on a regular basis somewhere around middle school and that made it look like puffy waves instead of curls. Maybe there's hope that her curls will stick around! :D

Dars
November 8th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Please note, I haven't read the thread only the original post & the last post you made.

All I can say is that is a fantastic result! It really does look a lot better and cuter. Was that her first hair cut? You can always keep the lock of hair in a little box, I know my parents did that. I still open it up occasionally and look at it (it was also a curl - and I've still got curly hair!).

kidari
November 8th, 2011, 01:07 AM
That is so cute! I wouldn't snip it unless it really bothered me or her- either one.

ETA I just realized you did cut it! She looks so angelic with that hair. It came out nice!

cindy58
November 8th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Your daughter's hair is cute. I think I would eventually trim the curl though. No rush.

ETA: The trim is adorable! She's a little angel!

A co-worker of mine is a male in his 50s who has one (short everywhere else)! I think he keeps it just to annoy people.

skyblue
November 8th, 2011, 03:44 AM
awww how cute!