PDA

View Full Version : Zumba hair

SmallVoice
November 7th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Hi there. I've been away for a very long time. My hair is between BSL and waist. Very fine.

Last weekend, I became and official Zumba instructor. I want to let my hair fly at least for a few classes.

Has anyone tried velvet-backed fabric headbands? They're billed as "non slip" and I can see that with the velvet backing. I also have a very small head, so most purchased fabric hairbands are too big for me.

Thanks!

katienoonan
November 7th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Sounds like a stretch-comb might work a little better, but i'm not sure if you can get seamless ones...

http://www.pakcosmetics.com/brand/Denman/Hair-Accessories/Stretch-Combs-(71007-D).html

SmallVoice
November 7th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I've tried those in the past. I think I have a cone head or something because they slide up in back and ultimately cause a mess.

I've also tried soccer tape with the same results. I may be doomed to braids and buns.

mora
November 7th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I've never tried velvet-fabric backed headbands but if you're worried about the size of your head, you might try something like this (http://prettyanntoinets.com/item_37/Dupion-Headwrap.htm) headwrap since it seems like it would adjust to fit the head.

Fairytale
November 7th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I've never tried velvet-fabric backed headbands but if you're worried about the size of your head, you might try something like this (http://prettyanntoinets.com/item_37/Dupion-Headwrap.htm) headwrap since it seems like it would adjust to fit the head.

:DThese are wonderful I just brought some at Target all different colors and styles finally a headband that fits in a great way whith no tightness!(migrain sufferer):(

tigereye
November 7th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Speaking from past experience, velvet + my (thick but fine) hair = a mess and tangles from hell.
Although I think that may only have been because my hair was thick and the velvet was only non-slip on the top layer of hair, which moved with it, whilst the hair underneath didn't and stuck up at strange angles and tangled when i attempted to fix it.
Mind you, my hair was up at the time, which is probably the main thing. Just don't wear it with up-dos

Miss Maisie
November 7th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I have Sweaty Bands for when I run, and I really like them. They're velvet-y on the back :)

I have really soft, slippery hair, and most headbands slide right off my head after a short period of time. The Sweaty Bands don't move. At all.

Amber_Maiden
November 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I've used those. They worked rather well on me.. and found they fit well (I have a small head as well).

SmallVoice
November 9th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Sweaty Bands are the inspiration. Since I sew, I prefer to spend $5 on notions instead of $15 plus tax and shipping on a gamble.

I like the style of the Dupion head wrap. I have a few cotton versions that are similar, but they slide right out. I'm also going to try zipping a strip of velvet in.

Scary thought about tangles. I'll definitely test drive my experiments around the house.

Thank you all!

NaiadOreiad
November 14th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I have no comment on the headband, but congratulations on getting your Zumba instructor license!

^__^

FroggyMonkeyMom
November 14th, 2011, 09:56 AM
My favorite Zumba instructor keeps her hair down during class. It's cool to watch but I wouldn't be able to do that. Congrats!:cheese: