PDA

View Full Version : Do you make your own wash-out conditioner???

Annibelle
November 6th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I've read several recipes here for leave-in conditioners, but do any of you make your own wash-out conditioners? Would it be the same sort of thing, but more concentrated? I'm interested in trying to make my own... I really want to use an EO scent (black coconut), but it would probably smell funky with the Triple Nutrition I currently use as a wash-out... thoughts? :)

holothuroidea
November 6th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Just a bump because I want to know, too!

spike316
November 6th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I don't make my own, but have you tried just using an unscented conditioner? There are places on etsy that make unscented conditioners (toadstool comes to mind) and I've heard Cure Care mentioned as being unscented on here which is a brand you can get at Sally's.

slz
November 7th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I've thought of doing so but each time chickened out, there are recipes on a french seller's website ( aroma-zone.com , unfortunately in the french part of the site only) and I would only have to choose one and follow it, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Gulbahar
November 7th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I do. I use conditioning emulsifiers like Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine - which is the stuff you find in organic conditioners - and Behentrimonium chloride. This or other very similar things are used in almost all ordinary conditioners. Aromazone sells this conditioning emulsifier BTMS (Behentrimonium methosulfate) that works the same.
Basically you melt the conditioning emulsifier with some oils and/or butters and then add hot water, stirring very well. You can later add proteins or plant extracts or other things you like.
Most conditioners you can buy in shops also contain some kind of surfactant but I find that I don't need any of those, even when I use the condtioner for CO washing.

SunnyRainStorm
November 7th, 2011, 04:21 AM
From what I understand making your own wash out conditioners can be kind of involved. I think most contain chemicals that absorb in the hair faster than the leave in conditioners do and to gather the ingredients could be pricy. Plus it takes a certain amount of skill to get the proportions right. There are sellers on easy and eBay that make them and if you look around you may be able to find a starter kit or something that would have the basics to get you started. One company that I know that sells raw ingredients is www.bramble berry.com you can take a look and see how they add up fast.

Gulbahar
November 7th, 2011, 05:30 AM
From what I understand making your own wash out conditioners can be kind of involved. I think most contain chemicals that absorb in the hair faster than the leave in conditioners do and to gather the ingredients could be pricy. Plus it takes a certain amount of skill to get the proportions right.
Well, no. It's extremely easy and cheaper than buying conditioner. And you don't have to figure out any proportions - there are recipes for that.

morrigan*
November 7th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Gulbahar could you write some recepies or point me somewhere i could found it ?