PDA

View Full Version : How do I style my hair like this for a party?

MicheleClaire
November 6th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I'm attending a Great Gatsby themed party next weekend and I'd like to style my hair like this (Jobyna Ralston) but I don't know how:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7kt381g3C1qd3s6vo1_400.jpg

Any ideas on how to create this hairstyle, or even how to create the cute headband?

Thanks!

ImperatrixMundi
November 6th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I don't know if you'll be able to do all the curls unless you hair is naturally very curly. It would never work on my hair.
For the headband: think of a colour theme you'd like, then go to a crafstore and buy some
- satin ribbon
- fake, fabric flowers & leaves
If you have a glue gun just glue flowers and leaves onto the ribbon, otherwise get a needle and thread and sew. I think a combination of sewing and glue will be the best. When you put it on, maybe have a nice hair clip ready, and clip the headband and some hair together as in the picture. You'll probably need bobby pins to fasten it further here and there.

misspurdy06
November 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM
lightly gel your hair while it's mostly dry and roll the ends in the smallest curlers you can find. Leave the hair in front of your ears down. Then do a finger wave at the top.
A finger wave tutorial.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shKq-mkbJCY&feature=related

spidermom
November 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM
1B hair doesn't take curl very well, but you could try medium size sponge curlers with damp hair. If you don't have a hood dryer, it is likely to take 8-12 hours for your hair to dry. Then remove the curlers and arrange hair with your fingers. Don't comb or brush through because that will cause bushy frizz rather than nice curls.

You could also try rag curls, but they're harder to do by hourself.

ImperatrixMundi has good suggestions for the hair band.

jesis
November 6th, 2011, 01:31 PM
My hair does this naturally. I have very loose curls and I can just brush them out with a BBB. So I would say, try curling your hair very loosely, then use a BBB on it gently. The BBB helps keep the shape of the curl and smooth it down nicely. :) GL!

BlazingHeart
November 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I thought this look looked like bandanna curls,personally.

coffinhert
November 6th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I think you can imitate that with rag curls. The ones where you drop the middle of the cloth over where the hair comes out of hte scalp, then braid the lock with the two sides of the cloth to the end. This creates a wave on top. Or you could try something like this [http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/bandana-curls-or-rag-curls-for-long-hair/] and start closer to hte scalp.

Jimothea
November 6th, 2011, 05:11 PM
What a fun party!

As for the style, the top part is fingerwaves. The straighter your hair is naturally, the more difficult fingerwaves are to do--and they're hard anyway. ;) But the draping part of the hair looks as if it's rag curled or even done with an old fashioned curling iron, so that part shouldn't be too hard. If you've never rag curled before, there's a really good tutorial at the Vixen Vintage blog, but you'll have to play with the size of your sections to get what you want. With only a week to go, a curling iron--if you don't mind using heat for a special occassion--with a very small barrell might be easiest.

As for the fingerwaves, you want to start with very damp hair and ultra-uber-super-duper strong hold gel, setting lotion or curl creme. I'll try and write out how to do it, but it might not make sense; let me know if it gets confusing. I was taught the old fashioned way; I'm sure there's an easier, quicker way to get similar results...I just don't know it!

You'll need gel/setting lotion/curl creme, a fine tooth comb, and very nimble hands and arms.

1.) Liberally dampen hair and apply gel/lotion; create your side part just beyond your widows peak. Work with the "heavy" side first.
2.) Comb the heavy side of the part BACK and AWAY from the forehead, combing the length in a swoop slightly toward the ear. This prepares the hair for the downward side of the wave.
3. Begining at the widows peak, wrap the arm of the SAME side as the side of the head you are waving from BACK to front, and press your pointer finger down approximately one finger's width away from that widow's peak. Keep the other fingers mobile. Your fingertip should rest just past your hairline, on your forehead. Focus the distribution of pressure on your pointer finger so that the hair is flat to the head all the way down your finger (does this make sense?). No loosey-goosey. Tight!
4.) With the fine tooth comb in the other hand, place the tines at about a 75 degree angle from the scalp. You want the tines to be right next to the finger, but not the backbone of the comb. I'm not sure how to explain the angle; you'll have to play with it. Keep the pressure evenly dispersed all along the length of the comb, and again, TIGHT to the scalp.
5.) Draw the comb, pressing evening, TOWARDS your EYE. Continue combing that area's length of hair towards the eyebrow. This prepares the hair for the upward part of the wave.
6.) Clamp down the NEXT finger, tip just over the hairline, again pressing evenly and tightly.
7.) Both fingers still clamped tightly to the scalp, gently--but firmly--comb and swoop the forward hanging hair AROUND the fingertip, and BACK and AWAY from the scalp line once more.

8.) Repeat this process on the heavy side, all the way to the ear, clamping down remaining fingers as you move down the head. Try not to move the clamped fingers at all, at least until you run out.

9.)On the light side, begin this time with the hair combed forward, in preparation for an upward wave,. because you want the pattern you created on the heavy side to carry through. (This, however, can get tricky if you're dealing with cowlicks.) So, this time beginning by clamping and combing the forward hair back and away, continue down the head as before.

10.) Gently remove clamped fingers and finish by air drying. DON'T TOUCH while drying.

Hope that made sense! Done correctly, that shiznit would stay put on a cheerleader cartwheeling her way through an earthquake.

Please post pics of whatever you decide to do!

MicheleClaire
November 6th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks, everyone!

akilina
November 6th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Finger waves arent the easiest thing in the world (atleast for me!) i never really got good at them in my 13 months of school. the bottom looks like pincurls. i think it would be great if you had someone that could help you do this. :]

tamchronic
November 7th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Slightly off-topic, but I'm glad you mentioned the name of the lovely actress in the photograph. I've had that image saved on my computer for a long time (it truly is lovely, isn't it?) but I never knew who it was. Thank you!

The advice given by others in this thread is great. For the headband, a thick, decent-quality ribbon would do nicely. Buy some little flowers and leaves, whatever matches your outfit, and sew or hot glue them on.

As for the hair, I concur that the top part is styled in fingerwaves. It can be tricky to get the hang of them. Jimothea's instructions are great and very detailed, and I recommend looking on Youtube if you need a visual aid. There are plently of fingerwave tutorials on the web.

Experiment with rag curls for the tresses cascading down her back. You'll want to try it out a few times before the party, since it can take a while to figure out how big or small you need your sections to be.

If you succeed in recreating this style, please do post pictures! I'd love to see it on a modern-day maiden, and perhaps it'll inspire me to finally try and do it myself. Best of luck!

Magdalene
November 7th, 2011, 07:53 AM
For the finger waves, if you don't mind using heat, a marcel wave iron is pretty easy to use.