PDA

View Full Version : Hairchop (pictures) D:

Totte
November 6th, 2011, 05:38 AM
My hair has been through hell and back (box dye, henna (not hell actually but rather the opposite), bleach (three times....:(), tangles from hell, knots from hell and lots of pampering that may have come too late).

My little girl dream has always been to have waist length hair (my mother always kept my hair shoulder length or shorter as a kid) so obviously I've been reluctant to cut it. Until last week when I just faced facts. Better to chop it now and have it regrow healthy than have awful goal length hair that won't last long D:

So I went from:

to

Thanks to my messy hair I did the job myself and it still looks decent, I think. It's a bit shorter in the back, I left the front a bit longer on purpose.

And now I REALLY miss the long hair D:

Anyone else get these post haircut depressions? :(
At least it is easy to pamper and care for now that it's short. Just got to figure out new routines :)

CarpeDM
November 6th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I love your new cut!

MissEarlGrey
November 6th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I absolutely love your hair, long or short. It's so unique. You are very beautiful as well. Keep that messy thing you've got going, it's incredibly gorgeous.

kanaka
November 6th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Your hair is beautiful and i love your new cut too :)

I am the one who always get post haircut depressions :o

i always end up getting my hair cut a lot than i wish and then afterwards i get depressed a lot. Recently (5 months back) i was so much interested in layers, i got my TBL hair cut to waist with front layers. i liked my new hair cut but then i got frustrated with layers. I am growing my hair now and layers too. Because of layers i lost thickness down my length :( I need to grow 2inches to reach TBL now but layers are still at APL which is disgusting :o

MonaMayfair
November 6th, 2011, 06:04 AM
I think you look gorgeous with shorter hair, you're so pretty!

Annibelle
November 6th, 2011, 06:19 AM
I looooove your new cut! You're inspiring me to go ahead and cut my hair that badly needs to be cut...! But mine doesn't look so cute when it's shorter. Your SL hair makes you look very sweet, sophisticated, and artistic! :) And I'm sure it'll look beautiful at your goal length, too! :flower:

redwoman
November 6th, 2011, 06:34 AM
At least now you have very fresh ends to start off with. It will grow back, this time smooth and silky not all damaged. Love the hair by the way.

ellen732
November 6th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I think your hair looks great.

Zesty
November 6th, 2011, 08:00 AM
You are beautiful, and I LOVE your hair. It's such a unique look. Reminds me of a fairy or something. :) It's understandable that you feel a little down after your cut, but your short hair looks SO great, and I'm sure it'll only be prettier as you approach your goal length.

Kindredraeven
November 6th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I Love your hair. :)

Thalia
November 6th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I love the new cut and the start for new, healthy hair!

Avital88
November 6th, 2011, 08:25 AM
i like your hair! happy growing fresh ends now :))

milk
November 6th, 2011, 08:36 AM
You are so beautiful, and the new cut suits both your face and your hair perfectly!

spidermom
November 6th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Good job! The new cut looks very pretty. I know it can be uncomfortable to lose length at first, but hopefully your new, non-destroyed ends will make you happy.

newbeginning
November 6th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I think the new cut looks great. You've got lovely texture.

CrashDiet
November 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM
You are very beautiful !

GlennaGirl
November 6th, 2011, 11:04 AM
You are BEAUTIFUL and so is your hair.

supercupcakexx
November 6th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Both lengths are beautiful, and your new cut suits you very well. I love the curls! :D

GlennaGirl
November 6th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Good job! The new cut looks very pretty. I know it can be uncomfortable to lose length at first, but hopefully your new, non-destroyed ends will make you happy.

^^This...I have always loved the way my "fresh ends" felt, particularly when there had been damage. It's like a breath of fresh air and you can't stop playing with it. :p Enjoy!

Fairytale
November 6th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Wow with your new haircut you reminded me alot of Angelina Jolie in the movie "GIGI".(Google it pics)
You have beautiful features for any length of hair.

honeydippedxo
November 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I am just getting over my post hair cut depression C;
But I have to say you're cut looks sooo good on you!
I love it, no B.S. You're so pretty.

Jemoiselle
November 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I totally feel you with regards to post chop depression syndrome (PCDS, hehe) but my my my, your new look is gorgeous! I chopped my almost classic length hair Feb-ish of last year to my chin and have regretted it deeply ever since I got over the new look. It's now on it's way to BSL, such a shame and it does NOT look as gorgeous as yours! So, enjoy the growth process, you look fabulous! Better to have it all healthy for growing anyways :)

shannonsun
November 6th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Joining in on the love here!!! You looked great with long hair but I think the short cut is adorable.

I also did a chop recently---went from BSL to above APL. Not as drastic as yours, but I definitely had the blues for a while. I did start to really love the lack of damage and the fact that I'd gotten rid of a lot of annoying layers. Maybe once the shock wears off you'll get really excited about how much healthier your hair is now. Good luck!!

summergreen
November 6th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I would love to have your hair! It looks great long or shorter.

Annalouise
November 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM
You look like a model.
Don't worry, I did the same thing recently. I cut my hair off to shoulder length.
I used to use quite a bit of herbs including henna.
If I was you, I would step away from the henna and do a lot of moisture treatments.
I found henna to be very drying and I think it lifts the cuticle.

It wasn't good for my hair in the long run.

Hubby is just going to have to deal with the greys.:)

MichelleHW
November 6th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I think your hair is beautiful and the cut is very flattering to your face shape. I know what you mean about the post-haircut blues though. I get sad when I get a couple of inches trimmed off but in the long run it always pays off and I'm glad I did it. I need to lose an inch or so right now but I'm putting it off for obvious reasons LOL.

Totte
November 6th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Whoa, I'm really overwhelmed by everyone's kind words ;-; Thank you so, so much everyone. A big hug to all of you.

@ Kanaka
The last time I went to a hairdressers (many years ago, many!) she ended up cutting my hair in layers as well, with one of these blade things (I'm not sure what they are called?) and it was so awful on my hair since it springs into every direction if it's too short. It took forever to outgrow it, and I looked like Medusa's twin sister.
I really hope you grow yours back soon too <3 From your signature, your hair is gorgeous! :)

@Annibelle :) It really felt a lot better right when I cut it! Once I scooped the hair up and felt how it felt like barb wire full of tangles I was relieved. :)

@ Zesty
I hope so, too. My hair was in layers when it was long, and now that it's more or less one length I hope it won't be too thick as it was when I was a child :)

@milk
Thank you so much ;-; You people on this forum are the first people to ever tell me that so I'm really moved ._.

@Spidermom
Yes! I figured that healthy hair is way better than long and strawy hair if I want to keep it in the long run. Now I just wish it would groooow :)

@GlennaGirl
I agree completely ^-^ It's really refreshing! Even if I frequently grab the back of my hair and go "Oh... there's nothing there", haha. But it is good too because now our puppy can't chew on my hair :)

@honeydippedxo
Oh really? When did you cut your hair? :) I'm glad you are over it though!

@Jemoiselle
That is the perfect name for it, haha, PCDS. But wow your hair seems to grow really fast ^-^ Hope you get to your goal soon!

@Shannonsun
Thank you! I think you're right. I'm surprised I didn't cry, haha. But I've been on tumblr and on here seeing all the gorgeous hair and been really sad about cutting it off. I was actually rather sad the moment I cut the first strand off, but it feels much, much better now :)

@Annalousie
Thank you ;-;! Oooh, I didn't know it could be drying. I've used Cassia a lot now, too, since I want my natural color to show itself :) But a Cassia mask seems the only way for me to get rid of oilings. COing it out never did the trick for me D: So that's what I turn to when I use oil in my hair, which I have found extra moisturizing when an SMT wasn't enough. Perhaps I should look for other ways to get the oil out ^^

@MichelleHW
Yes, I've been putting that chop off for more than a year, too D: But it really was for the better, even if it makes em sad.

holothuroidea
November 6th, 2011, 03:18 PM
It is much better to enjoy the hair that you have than to have it at x length and be dissatisfied with it. Your hair looks great and it is going to look so beautiful as it grows. You'll take better care of it because it's nicer. :)

Also major kudos for the DIY job, it's great!

Kome
November 6th, 2011, 04:37 PM
You know though... this is friggin' ADORABLE on you. I wish I could work this style like you.

Amraann
November 6th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Wow with your new haircut you reminded me alot of Angelina Jolie in the movie "GIGI".(Google it pics)
You have beautiful features for any length of hair.

How funny I was going to say the same thing!! That is what I thought when I saw the pic with the new cut!

Toadstool
December 5th, 2011, 02:47 PM
if I looked as gorgeous as you with my hair that length, I would never grow it again!!

jacqueline101
December 5th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I like your hair its nice and shiny.

AcornMystic
December 5th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Your hair is incredible. I understand that you miss your hair, but you look quite amazing with short hair.

I too have felt the depression of the chop and looking back on pics, but at the same time I feel so happy, knowing I did it. It helps I am past that point, but I do think about the length I would have been if I hadn't. My longest layer at the back is about as long as it was when I shaved the back of my head. I'd be about APL, perhaps a couple inches above if I hadn't shaved it. All I have to say at this point though is, I'm not shaving my head again if I can help it and so it can only get better from here.:D

I say to you that it can only get better from here as well. Have fun with your short hair while it's short, I certainly am trying lol. ^.^

HairFaerie
December 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Ohhhhh! I think your new cut is absolutely ADORABLE!

Liene
December 6th, 2011, 01:17 AM
WOW, this looks fantastic on you! You must have one of the most beautiful faces I've ever seen, and your hair frames it perfecty in my opion. If I were you, I'd enjoy this lenght now you have it and just let it grow. You'll be at goal before you know it! Good luck!

Lucky
December 6th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Yep, I get the post haircut regret, I'm still regretting a terrible cut that I got in August. I get urges to chop every so often, sometimes I wonder if I'm not out to sabotage myself, lol.

The best thing to do is try to focus on the positive: fresh ends, new goals, routine experimenting, etc.

Your hair looks lovely at both lengths :)

Erin1152
December 6th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I can see a young Madeleine Stowe in you! Your hair has incredible body! It looks good at any length!

McFearless
December 6th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I love your new cut and your texture is great. Good luck growing it out again. It will go by much faster now that your hair is healthy. :)

dwell_in_safety
December 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Your hair is beautiful! I adore the texture and the color.

I definitely understand post-haircut trauma. :P I went from BSL-waist all through high school and most of college to having my roommate chop off all the split ends in March. Suddenly I had shoulder-length hair. At first I HATED it, but I ended up liking it enough to keep it about that length until now. :P Taking proper care of my hair now, which I never did previously (used plastic brush on wavy hair, ripped tangles out, always had hair down, brushed it wet, regularly dried it out), will make it look SO MUCH BETTER when it is back to its old length (and beyond!). I loved it long, but it really looks awful in some pictures, all crunchy and frizzy.

I love the length I'm at, though. :) I hated it at first, but here I am 6+ months later at APL. You can love your hair in every state. It's beautiful.

GettingThere
December 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I have to say the very first thing I thought was "Wow, she's beautiful" then I noticed your hair:) I like it both ways. It is very pretty now and will grow out beautifully. Just "baby" it and take care of it as it grows!

Floodman
December 8th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Don't worry, you probably did the right thing. It'll grow back and until it does you can glow like hell because you're effing gorgeous :D