PDA

View Full Version : S/D

snakewitch
November 5th, 2011, 01:45 PM
How do I do a S/D properly? Is there any video on how to do it? The last time I did it successfully was about a year and half ago and I don't even recall how I did it. I tried about a month ago but I gave up, and still had a bunch of split ends in the area I tried it in... :/

Zesty
November 5th, 2011, 01:53 PM
There's not much of a rule for how to do it. You just look for splits and cut them off. I generally sit next to a window during the day and just let my hair down and look. I grab a small section and twirl it, and snip the splits that stick out. Sometimes I just hold up a hank of hair and scrutinize it for splits. I usually set the scissors down while I look, isolate splits or splitty areas, then pick up the scissors to cut them off. It can also be helpful to make two braids and look for the splits that stick out of those. Generally it seems that splits "hide" better when hair is just loose. I've never seen a good video for how to S&D, partly because you can't see the splits in the video.

KatjicaMjau
November 5th, 2011, 02:00 PM
You should experiment :)

I do S&D like this:
- when I get bored, I start playing with my hair.
- than I randomly see one split end .... I cut it
- than I become more concentrate on my ends and then I kinda catch myself searching and cutting split ends all over my head.

and once or twice a year I do S&D in a proper way (my proper way :D ) like so: I brush hair to one side of my head, than I take one strand, look it all over (and cut any split ends) and put it on the other side of head. I repeat till my hands hurts/ I look all of my hair

P.S.: my english is bad, so I hope that you understand what I want to tell you :D

Madora
November 5th, 2011, 04:03 PM
There is no "proper" way, per se. What is more important is to use SHARP scissors and sit in strong sunlight, or very good illumination.

Some people use the softly twisted technique, taking a few strands, twisting them gently, hoping that the splits will pop up so they can snip them away.

Myself, I just take very thin sections and examine the last 3 or 4 inches. Because of my vision, I limit my sessions to 20 minutes every day.

If you have an overabundance of splits/damage, then the healthiest thing would be to trim your hair and eradicate them that way, then S and D as often as you wish afterwards.

Just try and do a little every day, if possible. A little S and Ding is better than none at all.

Amber_Maiden
November 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM
You don't need a video to do it, it's pretty easy, straight forward. Just look through your hair, snipping split ends... Nothing to it!