PDA

View Full Version : shedding

Brenda714
November 5th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Is the norm to lose about 100 hairs a day? Sometimes it looks like so much! Concerned, please help. Thanks LHC'ers :)

Theobroma
November 5th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I'm sure I lose about that many per day on average. Hasn't made a difference to my overall thickness yet.

amantha
November 5th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I think technically speaking it's normal, but when I got up in the low 100's I got really confused because I probably normally only shed around 50 or so hairs a day. Turns out I was super iron deficient. If this shedding rate started all of a sudden, it could be a seasonal shed (it seems a lot of people go through a major shed in the fall). If it started suddenly months ago and hasn't abated, or even gotten worse, you might want to have your doctor run some tests to check your thyroid, hormones, and iron levels.

Honestly though, your hair in your avatar pic looks really nice and thick so it's probably okay. :) I think average amount of hairs one loses per day is around 100.

jojo
November 5th, 2011, 01:17 PM
It is normal, they probably look more because they are long hairs. I hardly shed anything at all, I shed normally pretty bad in September when I shed small furry animals, normally too I have noticed since being a member on here it follows by a growth spurt for 3 months and then slow growth and roughly 20 hairs if that! I still get 6" a year and although I am a seasonal shedder, i still probably loose near enough the same amount!

Tsopana
November 5th, 2011, 02:13 PM
The normal amount is no more than 100. If you think you are shedding more than usual, try to count the hairs you are losing in one day... yes, one by one! It's the only way to be able to really assess what's going on...

longcurlygirl<3
November 5th, 2011, 02:54 PM
It's normal, but since long hair curls around itself it may look longer that what may be really lost

Amber_Maiden
November 5th, 2011, 03:29 PM
It's normal. No worries.

jasper
November 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM
For me, it is not easy to get a per day count. I don't manipulate my hair that much on a daily basis and it might be two or three days before I use a brush on my hair and remove the sheds. So my that time there are enough sheds to freak me out.

curlytiff27
November 5th, 2011, 07:49 PM
My hair dresser and from what I've read is up to 120, though I've also read upto 150. I know right now a lot of us are going through seasonal shedding and personally I am going through stress related shed. I get myself worked up when I get near or over 100...even though I'm still in a normal range. I know its scary!

Yame
November 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I think I lose around that many per day. I don't brush my hair a lot through the day, and leave it up on most days, so on days like that there isn't much hair loss (maybe more like 20-40), and on the days I wear it down, right after I washed, I get fewer sheds because I got rid of most of them in the shower.

But when I wash my hair (which is just once every 7 days) I think I lose well over 100. I estimate 100-200, but I'm too afraid and lazy to count. It always scares the bejeezus out of me, the hairball is so massive and I always come out of the shower on wash day thinking I need to make an appointment with a derm to see if there's anything wrong with me.

I've been measuring my thickness regularly though, and it has not gone down even a little bit. So I'm guessing it's normal...

Brenda714
November 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM
For me, it is not easy to get a per day count. I don't manipulate my hair that much on a daily basis and it might be two or three days before I use a brush on my hair and remove the sheds. So my that time there are enough sheds to freak me out.

Yeah, I've done this too, and that must be part of the problem.

thank all of you you have eased my mind xo

ange1ito
November 5th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I shed about 80 or slightly under on wash day, about 40 on no wash day. You will know if you are having a serious shed as you will be in the region of 200 plus when washing. Yes I counted when I had a super shed!

snowfaery
November 6th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I am so glad that I found this. I probably lost at least 100 yesterday when i washed and conditioned my hair. It scared me how much hair was in my hands and on my shower drain when I turned the water off. Normally I'm in the 40 to 50 range but I'm sure I have a seasonal shedding as well as a stress shedding combining.