PDA

View Full Version : Is this damaging?

LocustSpawning
November 5th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I used to wear my hair in a regular ponytail for pretty much the first year of growing thinking that was protecting it.. but lately have been thinking of how to ACTUALLY protect it.

I sleep with it in braids which has helped immensely with tangles, which has reduced breakage dramatically. In the daytime, I get all my hair as if I'm going to put it up in a ponytail, but instead of securing it with a hair band, I twist it around all the way up, fold it in half against the back of my head and secure it with a big claw clip.

Is the hair being twisted every day going to damage it? It has also helped loads with tangles and breakage, and the ends are tucked in when I fold the ponytail in half when I clip it.

I also like not using any hairbands etc, and it's hard to make up-do's look good on me.. but this looks alright I think. Please don't say this is damaging.....??

Madora
November 5th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Over time, twisting your hair in the same way every day will weaken the hairs where the twist begins.

For the sake of your hair, take a look in the Articles area (see the gray menu bar, above) and click on the Hairstyling section. There are several styles for shorter hair..i.e. sock bun, Gibson Twist, a half up.

Wearing a ponytail every day will eventually cause damage where the ponytail begins. You are placing stress on the delicate hairs by pulling them back the same way every day and you also run the risk of traction alopecia if you pull them back too tightly.

Sleep braids are a great way to protect your hair at night, so that is a major plus in your corner.

If you don't know how to lace braid here is a video tutorial for shorter hair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

bunzfan
November 5th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Some people saying wearing your hair in the same style day after day can cause damage as its always in the same spot to stop this from happening i switch from buns one day to braids the next.

I don't think the claw clip would be damaging though.

ktani
November 5th, 2011, 06:34 AM
If the hair is not twisted tightly it should not be a problem. I twist my hair up to put it up every day to wash my face and brush my teeth and keep it out of the way.

There is no tension at the twisted part and I have seen 0 damage from doing this for well over the last 10 years or so.

SunnyRainStorm
November 5th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I don't think wearing it up will damange as long as you mix the styles and don't wear it up the exact same way every day. Just wear it up some days and down some days and mix the styles and you will be fine. Personally, I use a satin pillowcase instead of braiding my hair at night and have excellent results. It has to be a good quality satin that is very smooth, none of that cheapo stuff.

ktani
November 5th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Braiding is a form of "twisting" hair. It is about the friction created by rubbing hair cuticles together that can cause damage. If the hair is not braided or twisted tightly there is no damage caused.

It also helps to keep the hair lubricated and the cuticles closed tightly. Just combing or brushing can damage hair if they are done the wrong way or handling it roughly. If the cuticles are rough or opened, they are more easily chipped away.

LocustSpawning
November 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Ok, thanks for the replies.

As long as it's not really bad then I'm not really that bothered, I was just worried just incase it was somehow some kind of horrendously bad thing to do to your hair or something.. haha!

Cheers. :)

Amber_Maiden
November 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I put my hair into a messy bun everyday... I don't think it damages it, as I do it differently every day.