PDA

View Full Version : Question about coconut oil

skyblue
November 5th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I can't use it because it causes my ends to look dry and crunchy (protein over loadish), from reading here I learned that coconut oil doesn't allow protein to escape, so I was wondering could this be a good indicator that I have plenty of protein in my hair? Should I even worry about getting regular protein treatments??

I'm sorta bummed about not being able to use coconut oil since I see so many good results from it here and I love the shine it creates...sighs anyways I got to thinking about this and figured I'd just ask ;)

SunnyRainStorm
November 5th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Maybe coconut just isn't the oil for you. Have you tried a lighter weight oil such as grape seed oil or even lighter almond oil?

ktani
November 5th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I can't use it because it causes my ends to look dry and crunchy (protein over loadish), from reading here I learned that coconut oil doesn't allow protein to escape, so I was wondering could this be a good indicator that I have plenty of protein in my hair? Should I even worry about getting regular protein treatments??

I'm sorta bummed about not being able to use coconut oil since I see so many good results from it here and I love the shine it creates...sighs anyways I got to thinking about this and figured I'd just ask ;)

Coconut oil only creates that dry "crunchy" feel used over other coatings like conditioner.

Try clarifying to remove build-up. You can still use conditioner if you just want extra moisturizing from coconut oil. If you want it to penetrate hair it needs to be used on hair with no coatings that can block the lauric acid in it from access to your hair.

celebriangel
November 5th, 2011, 08:50 AM
It's a possibility. my hair is super-sensitive to protein; I sometimes do my "protein SMT" where I use my coconut conditioner plus coconut oil in the mix - which is enough protein, apparently, to make my hair have that post-protein-treatment feel, but enough moisture that it doesn't feel like straw.

You might be able to use your coconut oil in treatments - say a prewash oiling - as long as you follow up with or include some moisture in there too.

If coconut oil doesn't work for you, I guess just try a different one. Coconut oil on its own makes my ends crunchy, but I can use nightblooming's panacea salve, which is a creamy blend of oils and herbal extracts. I love it!

ktani
November 5th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Coconut oil contains no protein.

ETA: A number of other oils including olive oil have been reported to make hair "crunchy". That is an oil over build-up result not an oil result.

heidi w.
November 5th, 2011, 09:01 AM
The type of coconut oil could be part of the issue. As for protein treatments, I don't believe there's any need to undergo such a treatment on any regular schedule, if you're otherwise in good health.

I used to use Coconut Oil from Spectrum Naturals which is different from the salad dressing type of oil or cooking oil. This version is blended specifically for use on hair and skin, and feedback in the distant past was positive about the idea that different pressing made a difference as to how it worked for their hair.

You might consider it. OR go for Jojoba Oil instead. Know that not all brands are created equal. So it can take some trial and error. I have seen many carrier oils that look somewhat dusty and not overly translucent, for example.

Good Luck.

Link to the Coconut Oil I used to use:
http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=205
OR proceed to Spectrum Naturals website, then click on PRODUCT from home page, then click on left sidebar under BODY CARE. It should pop up then.

heidi w.
I suspicion the "crunch" is related to maybe the protein treatments.

heidi w.
November 5th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Coconut oil contains no protein.

Correct.

heidi w.

ktani
November 5th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I suspicion the "crunch" is related to maybe the protein treatments.

Correct if such treatments have caused build-up. Not just conditioner builds-up. Styling aids like gels ETA and others do too.

heidi w.
November 5th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Actually protein treatments can cause problems with too much or too little. And funny things can begin to occur as a result. Most shampoo products in a brand calculate between their shampoo and conditioner how much protein to supply in each. But if you're performing protein treatments, you can be adding a lot, such as is the case with VO5, which has boatloads of protein and folks need to be careful cause their hair may or may not be in condition to tolerate the addition of protein.

Coconut Oil or any oil shouldn't cause a seal of any kind. I've noticed lately on Mane Forum here that this idea is being kicked around. It's merely a leave-in aide, that lies on top of the cuticle, and the next hair wash, will generally come out, then you re-apply, etc.

I am not aware of an interaction problem between any oil and protein applications.

This is one of those areas that I don't know a whole lot about, but I do know that strand tests are sometimes conducted regarding porosity to determine if a protein treatment is needed or not. Generally, I reserve protein treatments for those who really understand what they're doing.

heidi w.

ktani
November 5th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Actually protein treatments can cause problems with too much or too little. And funny things can begin to occur as a result. Most shampoo products in a brand calculate between their shampoo and conditioner how much protein to supply in each. But if you're performing protein treatments, you can be adding a lot, such as is the case with VO5, which has boatloads of protein and folks need to be careful cause their hair may or may not be in condition to tolerate the addition of protein.

Coconut Oil or any oil shouldn't cause a seal of any kind. I've noticed lately on Mane Forum here that this idea is being kicked around. It's merely a leave-in aide, that lies on top of the cuticle, and the next hair wash, will generally come out, then you re-apply, etc.

I am not aware of an interaction problem between any oil and protein applications.

This is one of those areas that I don't know a whole lot about, but I do know that strand tests are sometimes conducted regarding porosity to determine if a protein treatment is needed or not. Generally, I reserve protein treatments for those who really understand what they're doing.

heidi w.

I agree to a point and this is a good example of what to watch out for in choosing products.

Shampoos and conditioners that contain coatings to condition hair all build-up. They are designed to do just that by filling in gaps in the cuticle as well as lubricate the hair, etc.

With time they all leave too much on the hair and clarifying can result in hair that is softer and fuller. Also, not all coatings that build-up do so equally as in they can pool in certain areas and coat the hair unevenly.

Oils do not seal hair completely on their own. There are water vapour results in research to support that but just the fact hair can still frizz with oil on it shows pretty much the same thing.

From looking at the recent posts about certain protein treatments, one in particular, and then reading posts elsewhere on the best results from it, one thing stood out.

The protein treatment that hardens is best used on clarified hair, which makes perfect sense to me. It like lauric acid in coconut oil, needs full access to the hair to be most effective and penetrate the hair shaft.

Adding a penetrating protein treatment to conditioner is impeding the process and results are not going to be the same.

skyblue
November 5th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Coconut oil only creates that dry "crunchy" feel used over other coatings like conditioner.

Try clarifying to remove build-up. You can still use conditioner if you just want extra moisturizing from coconut oil. If you want it to penetrate hair it needs to be used on hair with no coatings that can block the lauric acid in it from access to your hair.

Oh that would be one mistake I'm making, so it works best on clean wet hair? or wait til it's dry?

SunnyRainStorm I've found that olive oil works really nice on my hair with no crunchy's and also that Africa's best that stuff is awesome!

Heidi the oil I have is for cooking but it also states on the bottle that it's great for hair and skin, it's a solid oil

thanks so much for all your replies it's really helped
I am going to try clarifying next wash and adding the coconut oil and see what that results in If it doesn't work out I can always start over right
thanks again ladies

ktani
November 5th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Oh that would be one mistake I'm making, so it works best on clean wet hair? or wait til it's dry?

For my part you are very welcome.

As a treatment you can use it on clarified hair 3 ways.

1. Oil your dry clarified hair (with no conditioner on it) and let that stay on your hair for a while or just wash your hair right away with a shampoo that does not build-up.

2. Use it on dry clarified hair (with no conditioner on it) and use heat from a blow dryer on medium for 5 minutes, with or without your hair covered in plastic or a heat cap.

3. Just use it on clarified hair (with no conditioner on it) by adding it to a shampoo that does not build-up, which is faster.

Or you can simply clarify your hair to start over and use it on washed and conditioned hair.

You can use 1. 2. or 3. with minimal conditioner ETA on your hair but results will not be the same. More details on all of this are here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025. The clarifying, preferably no conditioner or styling aids and the non build-up shampoo are crucial to the best results (maximum penetration of lauric acid in coconut oil).

blondie9912
November 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I would suggest doing a thorough clarifying, then try using coconut oil again. If it then doesn't work, you can be sure it isn't for you

ktani
November 5th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I have said the exact same things not as specifically about catnip use, that catnip does not do well over coatings. I have only ever used catnip with a non build-up shampoo to remove it and nothing else ETA except short experiments with conditioner or my first experiments with oil shampoo.

Amber_Maiden
November 5th, 2011, 04:43 PM
hmmm... Well, with my hair it LOVES protein, but hates coconut oil... so figure that.. haha :p

skyblue
November 8th, 2011, 03:40 AM
I almost can't wait til my next wash! I will let you all know how it turns out
thanks so much!

skyblue
November 10th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Well I did it, I washed my hair then washed it again with some coconut oil mixed in, now I might have used a little to much, my hair feels a little flat, but wow is my hair soft! I see no dry or crunchy ends so far and you need sun glasses to look straight at me lol the shine is amazing!!
next week I'll use a little less and see what happens
I took a pic of the shine I'll stick it my album ;)
So far so good!! Maybe it will help with the health of my hair over time
Thanks again!!