PDA

View Full Version : No flat iron challenge !

marioma
November 5th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Hi everyone ! the last time i used heat on my hair was last August , i have shoulder length hair then i decided to grow it to my waist and that will be impossible with all the breakage from the flat iron ! till now i didn't flat iron it's been hard since i have dry puffy hair with the layer underneath very curly and the layer above bone staright and crazy wiry strands all over ( i don't know the cause , may be from heat damage ) , i keep imagining my self with thick curly bsl hair at next august when the challenge will end and ill judge the results and weither it's worth or not ....so who had any advice or inspiring story :cheese: ? and who's in ? NO flat iron for ayear even in christmas and holidays!

DancingQueen
November 5th, 2011, 05:37 AM
I guess I'm in. I used it once within the last month (with plenty of heat protectant) and I felt pretty bad. I already joined the wear hair up challenge, so from now on, I'll just put it up when it don't behave. :) One question though... Can you use a blow drier for two minutes once in a while, just to get the roots neat?

Lissandria
November 5th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I haven't used my flat iron for a few months. I've been tempted.
Im in too! But still going to use the flat iron on my bangs/fringe. Fringes don't count IMO

marioma
November 5th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Sure , u can stick to your own rules ,i 've straightened my bangs twice at the begining of the challenge then i decided i ll leave it alone and at the end of the year i ll make a final decision about what i will do with my hair . but for now i m stick with no flat iron at all.

marioma
November 5th, 2011, 06:08 AM
yea whatever you feel comfortable with as long as it doesn;t damage your hair , and two minites of blow dryer can't compare to the damage of flat iron .

Avital88
November 5th, 2011, 06:11 AM
i used to flatiron at least 3 times a week, i quit it in 2010, i went to once or twice a month,then since 2011 i only used it 5 times maybe, the last time was July 20. haha i even remember the date.
My hair improved tons!I do like the sleek style of flat ironed hair,so i know in the future i will do it again. But i dont see myself doing it anytime sooner than my boyfriends birthday in February2012 so i guess thats ok :D
For everyone who thinks once a month is still ok, believe me, if you quit totally for 3 months you will notice a BIG difference in your hair. No frizz and much easier managable hair.
Yeeey to No Heat!

marioma
November 5th, 2011, 06:23 AM
i used to flatiron at least 3 times a week, i quit it in 2010, i went to once or twice a month,then since 2011 i only used it 5 times maybe, the last time was July 20. haha i even remember the date.
My hair improved tons!I do like the sleek style of flat ironed hair,so i know in the future i will do it again. But i dont see myself doing it anytime sooner than my boyfriends birthday in February2012 so i guess thats ok :D
For everyone who thinks once a month is still ok, believe me, if you quit totally for 3 months you will notice a BIG difference in your hair. No frizz and much easier managable hair.
Yeeey to No Heat!

yea ! you are right i haven't used heat for three months i've tons of new growth and my hair is thicker and grows faster as for the hair itself the breakage and split ends have decreased dramatically after my last cut i dont see anymore split ends.

Oksana
November 5th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I used to flat iron at least everyday (and if i'm going to be honest quite often twice a day :o) from the age of 13 to 19. Since joining here i haven't flat iron once! 18 months! :cheese:

It honestly did the world of good for my hair so keep with it!

Mopolop
November 5th, 2011, 08:39 AM

Awwwww, I thought I was doing well from reducing it from once/twice a day to once/twice a week... :(

MungoMania
November 5th, 2011, 08:59 AM
No heat styling for me either. It's a challenge too because it gets cold where I live. I've actually learned to like my hair's natural waviness. It helps not to be a teenager anymore and a slave to every fashion trend.

PeachyWavy
November 5th, 2011, 09:52 AM
The last time I used my flat iron was July, so four months. I wore my hair totally natural (airdryed etc) for two months, but I've recently fallen back into my (bad) blow drying ways. My hair just can't handle the heat! :( I'm experimenting with more airdrying techniques, so this challenge is perfect timed for me! :D I'm in!

blondie9912
November 5th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I dyed my hair WAAAY too much this summer, so the top is layer is very crispy and dry. I don't need a flatiron to exacerbate that problem and make my hair so weak and brittle that it breaks off...I'm in!

jacqueline101
November 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I've been tempted to flat iron my hair. Its growing out a perm. I can see where its straighter but the results aren't fast enough. I've started this challenge and extended it to no heating appliances and no chemicals.

akilina
November 5th, 2011, 11:44 AM
i try to wear my hair up and have my face framing and bangs out. i straighten my bangs and only one side of my face framing. one side is incredibly damaged and thin (not to mention that is the shaved side of my head) but luckily it is straight on its own

RedheadMistress
November 5th, 2011, 03:59 PM
- Since I started squatting I haven't used a flat iron, wanted to be better to my hair .
Only time I've used a flat iron in the last 1.5 years is last month when I was in the US, staying at friends house, used her straightener maybe for every day for a week . Or every other, depending on the weather .

But in the long run, not much at all :P
Compared to how much I used to use my own straighteneer . . . all the time .

So it's going well ! Learning to love my curls .

marioma
November 7th, 2011, 12:23 PM
No heat styling for me either. It's a challenge too because it gets cold where I live. I've actually learned to like my hair's natural waviness. It helps not to be a teenager anymore and a slave to every fashion trend.
i really like what you say about not being a slave to fashion , :) my friends didnt encourage be in this decision , despite that i decided i ll take care of my hair health instead of it's appearence which will improve my hair appearence with some patience ,another thing is i m learning to concentrate more about my inner self than the look ..and i m satisfied now

marioma
November 7th, 2011, 12:27 PM
updating : today i was visiting some relatives that i didnt meet from long time , and two of them have commented about how thicker my hair looks ( i think part of it is from the volume of curls ) but yayyyyyy :D i am on the right way , i get more convinced everyday that i m doing the right thing for my hair , and actually i m feeling guilty about toturing my hair all these year if only i could reverse that , my hair would be longer than waist with fabulous curls ! stupid me .

Sahar24
November 7th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I used to straighten once or sometimes twice a day or curl my hair with the straighteners. So bad, I know. I gave up in July - it's been such a revelation. My hair was first really puffy and frizzy but with care, oilings and natural shampoos and conditioners it's now softer and sleeker that it's ever been. I have lots of baby hair growth too! BUT - I still straighten by newly cut fringe - only twice a week or so. With regular trims, I figure it can't be that bad!

Miss Maisie
November 7th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I'm in! I haven't used a flat iron since June, and I don't plan to ever again. It's funny - I used to flat iron it and then put it over velcro rollers to cool so that I'd get body and waves. Now that I don't use a flat iron I had natural waves magically appear. On top of that, my hair is healthier, and I have a ton of new growth all over my head. That can't all be coincidence, right? :)

DarkSky
November 15th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I think I should join :) Before coming back to LHC back in July I used me flat iron every 4 days (on wash days), now I flat iron maybe once every 2 to 3 weeks... basically whenever I get mad at my hair for not cooperating. Since July, cutting down on usage has helped the poofy factor in my hair greatly which is my biggest issue!! I never really had a major frizz or split end problem... just a coarse poofiness at the top and back of my head. Anyways two days ago I flat ironed again but I find I'm missing my natural wurls again. I guess I'm still weening myself off of it gradually which is better than nothing. I'll see how long I can go this next round without straightening again. :)

Jesabel
November 15th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I'm in! About 1-2 years ago I used to straighten my hair nearly every day and it fried the ends - and then I wasn't very aware of proper hair care. Now I only do it maybe on weekends if that but I would like to stop flat ironing/curling all together :) Since finding some awesome curling techniques that use no heat this should be much easier.

DancingQueen
November 15th, 2011, 07:26 AM
It is actually kind of funny... I don't really like my hair when straight, it is way too flat for my face. But I am kind of curious though, to se how long it really is... :)

angela123
November 15th, 2011, 06:28 PM
this is a challenge i need to join!!

Mesmerise
November 15th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I LOVE my hair flat ironed! BUT I haven't used one since soon after I joined LHC. I think the last was January 30th, so it's coming up to almost 10 months without straightening my hair with heat!

My hair still has problems/damage etc. but I figure that's just going to have to grow out. I know that if I straighten my hair with heat, it will just make the process take that much longer, so I resist the urge!

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 15th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I have not straightened my hair since august and I plan on keeping it that way! :)

ladonna
November 15th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I'm another who hasn't straightened in Aug. Before then I did my hair everyday, to the point my hair was damaged so bad that I couldn't get it straightened.

DancingQueen
December 21st, 2011, 04:08 AM
I'm really sorry girls... But I got my hair straightened today! :( I was in need of a haircut, and I always have to have my hair blow fried and straightened, otherwise they don't know how to cut my hair. Guess I'm starting over in the challenge. :)

julliams
December 21st, 2011, 04:32 AM
Marioma, please take a look at my album marked "Monthly Growth Pictures" (click on "show all albums" to find it). If you scroll right to the bottom you will see what my hair looked like at the stage when I just started not heat-styling. As you scroll upwards you will see how the condition of my hair improves and the waves intensify. I put it down to not continuously heat-styling (I used to flat iron 3 times a week prior to the first picture being taken) and bi-weekly moisture treatments (at first) and later weekly.

Getting used to your natural texture will take time. I suggest clarifying your hair with a good clarifying shampoo, follow with an SMT (4 parts silicone free conditioner, 1 part honey, 1 part clear aloe gel - mix up and zap in microwave for 30 seconds to make sure honey doesn't lighten your hair). Leave the SMT on for an hour (you can wrap in cling film and top with a hot towel), wash out with cold water and scrunch your hair to bring out your curl. Then just leave it alone - airdrying for as long as it takes. By all means, peak at it whilst it's drying but it's when it's totally dry that you will see the best effect.

Take monthly photos in the same top/place so that you can see the improvement. It helps to keep focused and remind you of what you are trying to achieve.

missoj
December 21st, 2011, 04:59 AM
Does this include not using curling tongs? Does it have to be for a year? Does it include giving up my hairdryer (unfortunately my hair refuses to behave unless I blow dry it or have it rolled in curlers to dry and only my mom is able to roll my hair I can't do it to save my life). I'm thinking of joining but I know I won't be able to last a year.
I went from using a flat iron every time I washed my hair, to very rare (I think once every two months or something like that). A few weeks back when I used it my mom actually yelled at me for it (she now also understands the amount of damage it can cause after seeing it completely damage the hair of family members). Also I like that my hair doesn't get oily that quickly with not using it.
I some times use my curling tongs, maybe once every two or three weeks, but of course with heat protectant.

Liesbeth
December 28th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I'm in! My hair is mostly straight at the roots, but wavy at the ends. I used to straighten it to even it out--and also because I liked how it made my hair look longer. But it really does fry your hair after awhile, and it looks better natural now that it's longer anyway.
I'll keep straightening my fringe/bangs, but that doesn't really count, IMO.

mzBANGBANG
December 28th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Marioma, please take a look at my album marked "Monthly Growth Pictures" (click on "show all albums" to find it). If you scroll right to the bottom you will see what my hair looked like at the stage when I just started not heat-styling. As you scroll upwards you will see how the condition of my hair improves and the waves intensify.

:thud:your hair pics alone are enough for me to continue not using my flat iron! WOW! It made me realize what parts of my hair were damaged by comparing my pics to your beginning pics. I'm signing up for 3 months (started on 12-17). Thanks for the proof!

Mommyof4
December 28th, 2011, 06:49 PM
No flat iron for me until December of 2012 and probably never again :D

BrightEyes
December 28th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I'm so in!!! I've been addicted to my blow dryer and flat iron for too long. I have so much damage from heat styling (and ripping a round brush through damp hair). My hair is starting to crumble to pieces:(. I've reduced heat styling to once a week or every other week, but I know that is still not good for my hair. It's time I get commited to quiting.

I've recently started using Caruso steam rollers and am in love with how well they curl my hair and how soft my hair feels!! Now that I know I can style my hair without damaging it, I feel more confident I can be done with heat styling for good.