PDA

View Full Version : Hair and Sauna

loveandwaves
November 4th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Hello everyone!

I was at the gym today, and a question came to mind...

Does staying in the sauna effect your hair in any way? Can it cause damage?

What I do is I wash my hair at the gym (shampoo + conditioner) and then I apply conditioner again, go to the sauna and stay in there a while with it in my hair. Does the heat from the sauna burn my wet hair?

... perhaps I'm just being paranoid? hmm.

Thanks in advance!!

-Love&Waves

Amber_Maiden
November 4th, 2011, 08:36 PM
hmmmm... I wonder if it would actually benefit your hair since you leave conditioner in it?? Interested in what people have to say...

MissAlyssa
November 4th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Sounds like it would work like a deep treatment if you go in there with the conditioner on it :)

teal
November 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I can't see how a sauna would be any worse for your hair than a hot shower. I agree that it sounds like the ideal way to have a deep treatment! If you're worried you could always rinse your hair with cool water after the sauna.

blondie9912
November 4th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Sounds more like a deep treatment to me! :D

I don't believe that heat itself 'damages' hair per se. I think it's more the tension that is applied to your hair while blowdrying with a round brush. Flatironing is another story, because it heats up to temperatures high enough to fry an egg on contact.

The bottom line is I don't believe that simply BEING in an environment where the temperature is high can damage your hair. I mean, yes, if you're in the desert and there is hot, dry air and high winds, than will wreak havoc on your hair over time, but being in a sauna DEFINITELY won't do any harm :)

Plus, it's moist air! You've definitely got the right idea by doing the conditioner while in the sauna :D

loveandwaves
November 4th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for the reassuring responses!

RedheadMistress
November 5th, 2011, 05:10 PM
- When I used to go to the gym a lot I used to do this all the time, I see it as a deep treatment, it's so nice !

Othala
November 6th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I love to sauna and I use it as an opportunity to do a DT, just as you do. I have not experienced any damage, just benefits.

MungoMania
November 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM
The moist air is usually good for your hair, and scalp as well if you let your scalp sweat out body toxins. If you just condition your hair and wrap in a towel after conditioning, that would be a very nice deep conditioning treatment. I've experienced damged hair from many things but not from steam.

Maktub
November 6th, 2011, 08:46 AM
If your hair was dry (or full of chlorine), and you go to a dry sauna for a long time, I think damage could result (very dry / brittle hair since you would be evaporating all moisture out of it...).

But the way you do it : clean wet hair full of conditionner, I don't think it can cause damage... probably quite good ! I'd rinse hair with cold water when getting out though.

AnnaJamila
November 6th, 2011, 09:01 AM
With conditioner on your hair (or even no conditioner in a steam sauna) I only think you'll benefit from it. One friendly reminder: when you get in the sauna with something greasy in your hair (oil, deep treatment, conditoner, etc.) it tends to drip all over you and the benches which can clog your pores and make it kind of nasty on the inside of the cabin. Taking in an extra towel to sit on or wrapping one around your shoulders solves both problems!

Have you ever tried rasoul clay? A tad old school but if it ain't broke, right?

Insha'allah, this time next year I'll be saving up for a sauna in my own home! (I can dream, right? :D)