PDA

View Full Version : if you like two braids but not sure if age appropriate....

shikara
November 4th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I've been wanting to wear two braids out but it didn't feel right - first of all, I liked the braids down the front (it's nice to see your length sometimes) but I didn't like the look around my face or the part down the back. I was also pretty sure I might feel uncomfortable once in a while - the age thing, my problem I know. Needing to run out to get a few things, and my hair in two braids, I tied a larger square scarf Jerusalem Style - gypsy more or less- threw on a nice pair of earrings and voila! An entirely different look, and more the image I wanted to project, but still wearing two braids. Just thought this might help someone who may struggle with the same issue...........

Madora
November 4th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Two braids hanging down at my age would look peculiar, to say the least, so I wear them up and around my head instead.

jojo
November 4th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I know what you mean about the age thing and 2 braids. I wear mine around the house in that style but would feel like an over grown school girl seen in public with them, however i do wear them in 2 braids when I am on holiday as they stop my head feeling too sweaty in the sun plus nobody knows me!

Slinks
November 4th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I've worn two braids out and about, I wore flower clips, which are not age appropriate but I just don't care :-) .. I like your idea of a scarf tho, good tip !!

lacefrost
November 4th, 2011, 10:01 PM
What is age appropriate is really just based on what people are doing at a certain age. Some people think long hair isn't age appropriate for older women. That's cause nowadays it's young girls who have longer hair. A hundred or so years ago, long hair was a sign of feminity and fertility. Only very young girls and men had short hair. Short hair wasn't age appropriate for women. In the black community, while it's not really said, wearing your hair anything but down isn't age appropriate. That's cause as children (with curly hair) it was all about the braids, etc. The sign of coming of age is getting your hair straightened and pretty much exclusively wearing it down.

That's all to say that notions of "age appropriateness" change over time and within cultures. If you like wearing your hair in two braids, wear it. It gradually shifts perspectives. And maybe one day, when I'm older, I'll wear two braids and no one will say anything about it. :)

Kelikea
November 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I don't usually wear two braids, except in a Chinese bun. It is hard to get the part straight and the braids even. And sometimes I feel the two braids look thin. But I do wear one side braid. Then you can see your length and wear the braid in front. It looks cute that way with a head band.

LadyKate
November 4th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I'm almost thirty (certainly not old, but not a teenager either) and I wear two braids (French, Dutch, or English) fairly often. For me, I don't so much feel like they're too young for me, but my fiance teases me and calls me "Heidi" when I wear them (I'm blonde and very fair).

longhairedlady
November 5th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I wear my hair anyway I please! I dont give two hoots about age appropriateness! I even wear pigtails if the mood strikes me. :)

skaempfer
November 5th, 2011, 12:49 AM
I think this is very cultural. A friend of mine brought a magazine back from Japan and a lot of older women (there was a section in the mag where they had stopped passers by for an opinion poll and there was a snapshot of each woman) and many had two braids. She was surprised when I told her that in some European and most Anglo-American cultures, that was seen as mostly for kids.

We're already challenging convention by having long hair past 40 and not giving in to the 'styling' insanity before 20, so you may as well do as you like.

MrsGuther
November 5th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I get snide remarks when I wear two braids out in public, and I'm only 22! :( I like wearing my hair in two braids. I think it's pretty! I wish people weren't so judgemental about age "appropriate" hair/ hair styles! Ughhh...

Thalia
November 5th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I know the dilemma and won't wear them out as well, just a bit over 30. But, there are so much more beautiful hairdo's, just pick another one?

Yosha
November 5th, 2011, 04:39 AM
I think two French or Dutch braids suit the shape of my face very well, so I do wear those but mostly in a classic bun. Recently I had a professional braider make two Dutch braids and it was so beautifully done I just wore them down like in two pigtails and I really didn't care if they were age appropriate (I'm 42). If you are uncomfortable wearing them in pigtails you can put them up in a bun, or continue braiding into one single braid. A while back I saw a lady with gray streaks with side twists and the colors came out so beautiful with those (she put them together in a single pony at the nape), maybe you'd like those too :cool:

Panth
November 5th, 2011, 04:48 AM
If you like them, wear them. Remember: "I'm not here to decorate your world".

morrigan*
November 5th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I love two braids, they are so practical. I often do it as fishtail braids, when go out. Looks more fancy :D

Mesmerise
November 5th, 2011, 05:02 AM
I haven't worn two braids, or pigtails even, since I was about 12...maybe younger. And yeah, I'd feel weird doing it, although I'm not sure why. Probably cause I associate the look with children, even if I do see older people wearing their hair that way.

That and two braids on me would be ridiculously skinny!

Mind you, my SIL wears two braids, and she's turning 48 next week!

Mannaz
November 5th, 2011, 05:04 AM
I'm wearing two fishtail braids right now, but mainly because I'm sick and they're very comfortable and hold well. I do wear two braids out too and have never gotten bad comments, actually only good ones. Maybe it has to do with what you wear with the braids?

I think two rope braids looks really good, interesting and cute.

julliams
November 5th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I personally totally get what you are saying. There was a time when I happily sported braids, and then suddenly I felt a little silly. I can totally see how the bandanna/scarf would change that look and I might just try it. Thanks for the tip.

ladyfey
November 5th, 2011, 06:19 AM
I'll be 40 next month, happily wear two braids whenever I want to , I like them!

MonaLisa
November 5th, 2011, 06:28 AM
No dilemma here - if i want them and they look cute, I'll wear them :)

Nordlilja
November 5th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Somewhere in my mothers house, there is a horrible picture of me, age 9 or so, with two braids. My hair was braided for taking pictures in class, and I can tell you, it didn't look good. Nowadays I sometimes do two english braids haning down in front, and now (age 35) it looks nice! I even were those braids when working.

daniew0708
November 5th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I love the comfort of two braids, when i wear them out it is usually for an activity. I am just over 30 with nearly TB length hair. Two braids are convenient when I am hiking or taking my kids to the park. I usually wear them with a ball cap and the braids over my shoulders in front.

MasCat
November 5th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I like them. I wear them. I'm not gonna stop.

Anyway... I can grow old, but nobody will ever force me to grow up! :>

daniew0708
November 5th, 2011, 07:04 AM
[QUOTE]Anyway... I can grow old, but nobody will ever force me to grow up! :>
I love this philosophy.

kaitmil
November 5th, 2011, 08:00 AM
MasCat, Love your philosophy. My favorite saying is that my Daddy never grew up, so why should I. I also do not care much about what people think of me. As I figure if they don't like what they see, they don't need to look, I am not here to impress them. So wear your two braids and embrace your inner child!

intothemist1999
November 5th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I like your idea, shikara, as I love the "gypsy" look. I love the two braids, but rarely wear them.

I would feel a bit odd with the braids in front, depending on the company I'm in (fortunately I move in long-hair friendly social circles). I'd feel marginally more comfortable with them hanging down the back if out in public.

As someone who just turned 50, I can say I care less and less about "age appropriateness". Also, nowaday, "older" people are so much more youthful in appearance, attitute, and activity level than they were a few decades ago.

spidermom
November 5th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I don't care about the whole age-appropriate hair-styles notion. If I did, it wouldn't be long in the first place.

Amber_Maiden
November 5th, 2011, 11:13 AM
My husband thinks I look 16-17 when I wear my hair with two braids or with pigtails... Doesn't matter that I'm wearing a dress that comes down to my knees ad earrings and red lipstick, nope, still says I look 16... He thinks he looks perv when he's seen with me looking like this, and he's even more sensitive to it now that I'm pregnant!

HumanBean
November 5th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I love two braids. I don't wear them yet (too many layers), but I do plan to once my hair is longer even though I'm in my forties. I have seen them on adult women of late, almost always the woman is wearing a hat or some other covering as well.

jojo
November 5th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I get snide remarks when I wear two braids out in public, and I'm only 22! :( I like wearing my hair in two braids. I think it's pretty! I wish people weren't so judgemental about age "appropriate" hair/ hair styles! Ughhh...

no way are you too old, im over 2o years older and although I agree age shouldnt come into it, id feel self conscience wearing them in my small minded villiage! but if I was still in my 20s or even 30's id wear them!

slz
November 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I'll be 40 next month, happily wear two braids whenever I want to , I like them!

I like them. I wear them. I'm not gonna stop.

Anyway... I can grow old, but nobody will ever force me to grow up! :>
Same here, 40 since last tuesday and I do not intend to stop wearing twin braids or anything I usually fancy, not now nor ever.

Bene
November 5th, 2011, 02:21 PM
It's about as age appropriate as finger waves hair on a 4 year old. I don't think it matters though.

Jing
November 5th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Move to Sweden. :p It's not the most common style, but no one bats an eye at middle aged women with two braids around here.

airmid
November 5th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I don't see why people shouldn't do whatever the hay they want with their hair. I wear my hair in two over the ear braids often, it's one of my go-to hairstyles. It's not common around here, but bah! I don't care. :) I'll wear them when I'm 60, too.... and hopefully they'll be reaching my knees by then! :D

Blandine
November 5th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Last time when I wore two braids was when I was 11 years old. To me this is a style for little girls, perhaps teenagers or twens with girly ambitions, but not for grown-up women.

Maraz
November 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Around here it's probably less an issue of age than of heritage. While at least three of my ancestors did have the good taste to marry into local tribes, it was several generations back and no one would know it to look at me.

So I wear my hair in braids in the house because that's about all my clumsy fingers can manage, but to avoid snide assumptions, it stays down or in a ponytail when I'm out and about.

That way, people can look at me and think 'unkempt hippie' instead of 'wannabe'. I certainly don't intend to give anyone a reason to think I'm absurdly proud of my fractional tribal heritage, especially since I am! :cool:

Vanille_
November 5th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I like two braids. I like them messy and I tie them off halfway down.

Slinks
November 5th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I don't see why people shouldn't do whatever the hay they want with their hair. I wear my hair in two over the ear braids often, it's one of my go-to hairstyles. It's not common around here, but bah! I don't care. :) I'll wear them when I'm 60, too.... and hopefully they'll be reaching my knees by then! :D

COOL !!! :cheese: mine won't reach my knees but 60 it will be :eyebrows:

jacqueline101
November 5th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I think age appropriate hair styles are up to the person who wears them. Two braids hanging down how's that inappropriate. I know I'm different I wear my hair to please one person me.

Maraz
November 5th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I think age appropriate hair styles are up to the person who wears them. Two braids hanging down how's that inappropriate. I know I'm different I wear my hair to please one person me.

*nod* This is the ideal I strive for, but on a few matters the stupidly judgmental have worn me down.

girlcat36
November 5th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I'm 45 and I wear two braids quite frequently. I have curly, flyaway hair and two braids are very practical. I don't look good in one braid for some reason.
I do landscaping work and housecleaning and two braids works out well for this, with a baseball cap or not. Also, when we go out on our boat two braids contains the mess that I call my hair.
Oh yes---and when I hike two braids are mandatory.
I have never had anyone say anything to me about my hairstyle looking too young. I do get called Pocohontas sometimes.....
Weirdly, I never wore two braids as a child. Maybe my mother couldn't braid....or more likely it was the stupid pixie haircut she kept foisting on me. :(
I didn't start sporting two braids until I was about 30.
My husband never comments on my braids. Actually I'm not even sure he knows that I have hair.

CavySong
November 5th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Right now my hair is in a bun on top of my head, just like I had it in my dance class when I was 11 ;P I love the two braids but since I part my hair on the side they look a bit weird.

I have a great-great-great grandmother in the late 1800s who was native-American. Wow, I haven't thought about it, I guess I am fractionally tribal as well....

Maraz
November 5th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Right now my hair is in a bun on top of my head, just like I had it in my dance class when I was 11 ;P I love the two braids but since I part my hair on the side they look a bit weird.

I have a great-great-great grandmother in the late 1800s who was native-American. Wow, I haven't thought about it, I guess I am fractionally tribal as well....

You're lucky to be able to trace that far back with any certainty. My mom has been trying, but the census records she needs to research before about 1890 were destroyed in a fire and the last names are so common other records are pointless.

On my Dad's side, there's mostly only family history to go by. So really, the number of 'greats' involved depends on which relative you ask! The way it adds up according to their wrangling, I'm somewhere between an eighth and some bizarre fraction between a fifth and a sixth. And that's between two tribes, but I'm not quite obsessed enough with it to figure up the math on that. It's already bad enough that I'm as proud of it as though I'd introduced them to each other myself and paid for the weddings. Oh well, at least I know I'm silly.

tori93
November 5th, 2011, 05:31 PM
i don't think it matters what age you are, If i saw a lady with two long braids i would think how lovely and long their hair is not that they are wearing two braids! when my hair is long that is how i plan to wear my hair, i think it looks cute. If you just want to show the length at the front you could wear one side braid, i think that looks good too, like this :

http://thestyleaficionado.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/long-braid.jpg

duchesswannabe
November 6th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I admit that the only time I went out in public with two braids in adulthood was once about three months ago during the summer heat. I had to walk one of my dogs, and I couldn't stand the heat on my neck anymore. The people in my neighborhood (I have been here for more years than I care to admit) couldn't care less. I wish I were brave enough to go to the supermarket or the mall with two braids (currently, they get messy because my hair really isn't all one length), but I am just not. I do not think they are inappropriate, though. A few years ago, I would have, but I have adjusted my mind to focus on the fact that people style themselves to make themselves happy; it's not about me or my preferences.

Aveyronnaise
November 6th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I have stopped caring what other people think about the way I look. It's just come with age. I am half mexican so if anybody ever asks I'll tell them it's my culture and to leave me alone.
Nobody really comments on it here though I wore my hair in 2 dutch or french braids for the majority of the summer.

racrane
November 6th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I understand. I am kind of curvy with blond hair and blue eyes and any time I wear two braids I get called the "busty German barmaid" and other crude terms like that. I'm not even that old, but people do have lots of assumptions about hair! I feel everyone's pain.

Braidmaid
November 7th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I absolutely love two braids! It's one of my go to styles. I even wear them when I'm teaching school. At this point, I'm not too worried what others think; I'm who I am, and happy with it!

LaceyNg
November 7th, 2011, 10:02 AM
My husband thinks I look 16-17 when I wear my hair with two braids or with pigtails... Doesn't matter that I'm wearing a dress that comes down to my knees ad earrings and red lipstick, nope, still says I look 16... He thinks he looks perv when he's seen with me looking like this, and he's even more sensitive to it now that I'm pregnant!

when i was pregnant and went places with my dad they always gave him strange looks, no matter gow i was dressed, etc. i think some ppl are just going to assume the worst! :shrug:

....My husband never comments on my braids. Actually I'm not even sure he knows that I have hair.

HAHAHA!!!!! same here! he takes my hair pics for me and helps me measure, but thats about it

....Wow, I haven't thought about it, I guess I am fractionally tribal as well....

me too! 1/8th lol!!! although my great-grandma was Cherokee, you'd never guess by looking at me-- i'm fair with red hair. i WISH i could have gotten her hair genes! :(

as far as 2 braids go, to me it depends on how they are--i'd never to a pony tail mid-head on each side and braid those. but wearing them braided downwards like i think most of you are talking about looks beautiful to me! ESPECIALLY when its long and shiny! i dont wear my hair like that now, since i'm growin out layers, but when my hair's longer i will for sure! :D

tweetylonghair
November 7th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I have worn my hair to work and out and about it 2 braids. I try to not do a center part when I do it though.zig zag or something different.I work at a school and even my supervisor wears 2 braids but with a center part...she has bangs... people always comment on the color in my hair especially when I braid.

Avital88
November 7th, 2011, 10:18 AM
im 23 and stopped wearing them a long time ago.. i did them for fun last year and my friend told me i looked like a mix between pocahontas and a hooters waitress..hmm not really the look i want to walk out in public

moxamoll
November 7th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I'm in my late 30's and I wear two braids or two ponytails all the time. I agree that I wear them low, not starting half way up my head but that's just because I think they look better that way on me. I've never had any mean spirited comments about them. Just one lady who complained that her one braid wasn't as thick as mine split in two. (Yes, I suffered from the "sin" of pride!) Anybody who wants to complain about my hair just isn't worth my time.

ilovelonghair
November 7th, 2011, 10:57 AM
What is age appropriate is really just based on what people are doing at a certain age. Some people think long hair isn't age appropriate for older women. That's cause nowadays it's young girls who have longer hair. A hundred or so years ago, long hair was a sign of feminity and fertility. Only very young girls and men had short hair. Short hair wasn't age appropriate for women. In the black community, while it's not really said, wearing your hair anything but down isn't age appropriate. That's cause as children (with curly hair) it was all about the braids, etc. The sign of coming of age is getting your hair straightened and pretty much exclusively wearing it down.

That's all to say that notions of "age appropriateness" change over time and within cultures. If you like wearing your hair in two braids, wear it. It gradually shifts perspectives. And maybe one day, when I'm older, I'll wear two braids and no one will say anything about it. :)

Thanks for explaining, I have always wondered why you see kids with cool braided hair styles but rarely any adults in movies (or in real life, but we have very few African decent people here) I noticed that teens suddenly have straightened hair. It's a shame that there is such a presure to straighten and that braided hair styles are seen as not done.

Angel_099
November 7th, 2011, 11:29 AM
My husband never comments on my braids. Actually I'm not even sure he knows that I have hair.:spitting:Haha! My man is the same way!! He's too afraid to say something wrong I guess!:D

I really like the look of two braids sometimes, but since I've mostly worn my hair down I have only recently tried them. I did them for fun one night and slept in them...and woke up to really nice waves. Since then, I have only worn them to bed for that purpose. :) I always have been self-consious of how my face looks with my hair up. Now that I am getting older, I find myself embracing my features more and caring less and less what others think. Once I perfect the braiding (mine's a little sloppy so far :p), I plan on wearing two braids out. I agree that it can make you look younger, but I think if you have the right attitude you can pull it off at any age! And it doesn't really matter what others think of your hair. That being said, I do really like the suggestion of adding a scarf and earrings for another different look! Thanks for the idea, OP!:thumbsup:

DiablitaNoir
November 7th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I say, who cares what others think? I'm 32 and I wear my hair in pigtails quite often. I haven't tried the braiding thing yet, but would like to. Anyway, I hate being told what clothes or hairstyles to wear that are "appropriate" for my age. I wear whatever I please and encourage others to do the same! :)

freecelt
November 7th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I've been wanting to wear two braids out but it didn't feel right - first of all, I liked the braids down the front (it's nice to see your length sometimes) but I didn't like the look around my face or the part down the back. I was also pretty sure I might feel uncomfortable once in a while - the age thing, my problem I know. Me too! I finally decided age b hanged and just did it :) There where a few times that I'm pretty sure someone guessed(in their head) my age wrong by 10 years (give or take) but I enjoyed the style :)

princessp
November 7th, 2011, 01:03 PM
It is likely not "age appropriate" for me either but I wear them anyways because I like them. :) Thanks for the tip though, great idea.

charalito
November 7th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I love wearing twin braids for sports. The Pippi Longstocking comment is unavoidable, but they sure are comfy.

Last episode of Grey's Anatomy the staff was playing softball and most of the female characters were wearing two braids, without weird looks or comments.

nocojojo
November 7th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Great idea! Off to google Jerusalem scarf.

leslissocool
November 7th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I wear two braids al lthe time, specially when I work out. They actually look great on me (2 dutch braids). I actually get complements on them all the time. I have twin babies, and I was with them when I got them.

Haven't had any bad remarks or weird looks. Although some have asked me how long my hair is from seeing the braids...

Metallia
November 7th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Twin braids is one of my go-to styles, and I do think I get mistaken as much younger when I wear them, but I try not to let it bother me.
And anyways, it is very convenient- two braids with a bandana is how I wear my hair for outside activities, amusement parks, swimming, lots of things!
Now that I think of it though, I never wore my hair that way until college, I don't think. I did have short hair for a long time in grade school, though.

intothemist1999
November 7th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Totally forgot till now I have this pic in my album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1268&pictureid=28536)s! I did the braids to keep them out of my way and to avoid bulk under my hat when shovelling snow. Hard to believe that's almost 3 years ago!! :shocked: My hair was quite a bit shorter then! hehe Sorry the pic turned out so dark.