PDA

View Full Version : Dry Scalp? Help!

MissEarlGrey
November 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM
My scalp is really dry and I do not know what to do. I shampoo twice a week, CO-wash all the other days, and oil my ends a few times a week with a jojoba-avocado blend. But my crown area is still super dry and itchy. What can I do to help moisturize?

Amber_Maiden
November 4th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Deep moisturizing mask!

Roscata
November 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
You could do overnight pre-wash day scalp oilings (I recommend coconut oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil but others would work too for example 50%-50% EVOO/Castor oil), stop shampoo all together, dilute it or use a sulfate free one, or stretch your washing to every other day or every 3 days etc.

Hope that helps. :D

Madora
November 4th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I think you should cut back on the shampooing and other products and try and just shampoo and condition once a week.

Too much shampooing can dry out your hair.

MissEarlGrey
November 4th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Well I just got done with a DMT, I mixed honey, olive oil, 1 egg yolk, vitamin E oil, and castor oil and slapped it on my head. It was intensely unpleasant; I'm not one to put concoctions on my head (takes forever, smells awful, feels awful, etc) and I was really grossed out by how my hair felt. So I oil-shampooed it out within 10 minutes. I'm sorry, it was just gross to me. I did an ACV rinse and I put a TON of conditioner on my head. I think I'll just keep up with my oil scalp massages, I can't handle the goop. Thanks anyway!

coffinhert
November 4th, 2011, 10:04 PM
you might try rubbing/scritching vinegar (apple cider vinegar) into your scalp pre-shower, while your hair is dry. this really helps with my scalp issues. in fact it's the only thing that helps me. i stand with my head bent upsidedown over the tub and gently pour it against my scalp... takes a little getting the technique down. then hop in the shower and CO or shampoo it out.

if you have sodium laureth sulfates in your shampoo, that might irritate your scalp.

coffinhert
November 4th, 2011, 10:06 PM
seborrheic dermatitis is most often found in the crown area, so it sounds like you possibly have a mild case. it can come on at any age. i would read the threads about it if i were you. CO washing and vinegar are quite often recommended.

Kelikea
November 4th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Have you tried aloe or jojoba? I rub on either or both when I feel dry and itchy after a shower. They don't feel "gunky". And cut back on shampoo. Maybe CO for a while?

luvnaz
January 4th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I've been having a terrible time with a dry itchy scalp. Probably a combination of SLS shampoos, hard well water, eczema and allergies. I tried so many things, but I still ended up with a dry tight itchi scalp after washing.

I went to the health food store and the clerk had me try Nature's Plus Beauty bar. It's not soap. It has Allantoin (an ingredient in the comfrey plant) and Vitamin E. It is terrific! No tight dry itchy scalp. My eczema is still a little bit of a problem, but I also got a cream at the health food store that is helping a lot too. The beauty bar has a pH of 4.5 & balances the acid mantle of the scalp. There is no soap in it, but it leaves my hair clean and smells lemony fresh.

I have tried so many things and nothing came close to helping me except this. I don't even need an after wash conditioner. It's also a lot less drying on my skin. I love it!