PDA

View Full Version : to all BBB users

bna_rapunzel
November 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hey everyone!

I own a BBB (paddle style) that is the squishy type. (You can push down the bristles and the air whooshes out). I've found Madoras post about how to clean them, and even spoken with Madora, but Madora has the non squishy type.
I was wondering, if any of you LHCers have a squishy BBB, how do you clean it?
Madoras method involves submerging the brush in warm water, the problem with that is the water getting into the "squishy" part of the brush, and then not properly drying, causing mold/mildew inside, behind the bristles. Yuck.
I can't put a blowfryer to it to dry it, I was informed the heat would melt the glue holding the bristles in, causing them to fall out.
I love my BBB, and just want to keep it properly cleaned. :)
Any ideas? :)
Thanks everyone!

misspurdy06
November 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I clean mine with a comb

bna_rapunzel
November 4th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I clean mine with a comb

it thoroughly gets all of the oil/sebum off? I don't think there's much on it, I just want to keep it very clean and in great condition. I clean the hair out with a comb.

Moor_tu_lyfe
November 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Mine is squishy but doesn't have a hole to let air in/out. I comb it to get the hair out, then soap up with hot water and shampoo. Scrub with another brush (I am currently using a stiff bristled nail brush), then rinse thoroughly while still scrubbing with another brush. Flick brush (hard) to get as much water off/out (I do this in the shower to minimise water on floor...) then leave to dry with bristle side down (supposedly water will drain out...).

Currently trying really hard to transition to water only washing, so my BBB gets a real workout (and needs washing very regularly). I find this works to get any buildup off, but sometimes I get some fluff/sebum right at the base of the bristles that can be difficult to get off. I've heard of some people taking to their BBB with a pin- probably for this reason, but haven't tried it yet.

HTH

jeanniet
November 4th, 2011, 05:54 PM
BBBs with the rubber pad shouldn't be submersed in water. I have Mason Pearson brushes, which come with a cleaning brush. To clean them, you dip the cleaning brush in soapy water and draw it through the bristles, then to rinse you dip it in clean water and draw through again. You can probably use a regular nylon bristle brush for this, but a cleaner brush is easier.

http://www.masonpearson.com/main.html

bna_rapunzel
November 4th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Mine is squishy but doesn't have a hole to let air in/out. I comb it to get the hair out, then soap up with hot water and shampoo. Scrub with another brush (I am currently using a stiff bristled nail brush), then rinse thoroughly while still scrubbing with another brush. Flick brush (hard) to get as much water off/out (I do this in the shower to minimise water on floor...) then leave to dry with bristle side down (supposedly water will drain out...).

Currently trying really hard to transition to water only washing, so my BBB gets a real workout (and needs washing very regularly). I find this works to get any buildup off, but sometimes I get some fluff/sebum right at the base of the bristles that can be difficult to get off. I've heard of some people taking to their BBB with a pin- probably for this reason, but haven't tried it yet.

HTH

This is helpful. I don't know if mine has a hole or not (I can check later lol!) But even if it doesn't, this gives me directions on how to clean it. I'm not WO, I CWC and oil with coconut oil and I occasionally use shea butter and EVOO, I'm a conehead as well! I was combing with my tangle tamer earlier and realized how much oil and sebum was building (today is wash day). My poor BBB! Lol. Thank you for all this advice!!

bna_rapunzel
November 4th, 2011, 06:07 PM
BBBs with the rubber pad shouldn't be submersed in water. I have Mason Pearson brushes, which come with a cleaning brush. To clean them, you dip the cleaning brush in soapy water and draw it through the bristles, then to rinse you dip it in clean water and draw through again. You can probably use a regular nylon bristle brush for this, but a cleaner brush is easier.

http://www.masonpearson.com/main.html

Thank you for this link. I don't own a mason pearson bit I treat my BBB as if it were a mason pearson, now I'll clean it the same.

You think a nail brush would work for this method? (A clean, never used one of course.)

jojo
November 4th, 2011, 06:09 PM
I have a mason pearson and also have the little brush to clean it, but i prefer to use a comb and then swish it in warm soapy water.

This post reminds me I need to clean mine!

FrozenBritannia
November 4th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I have a squishy brush! I run it under the tap and then take an old toothbrush to it- having put clarifying shampoo on the toothbrush like toothpaste. It seems to work quite well. I rinse it again under the tap after.

bna_rapunzel
November 4th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I have a squishy brush! I run it under the tap and then take an old toothbrush to it- having put clarifying shampoo on the toothbrush like toothpaste. It seems to work quite well. I rinse it again under the tap after.

With the water running directly onto the bristles?

Fairytale
November 4th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Whenever I want to clean something and dont want to soak it for risk of getting mold or mildew I use alcohol to clean and disenfect. It has a fast drying time , you can spray it on and wait then use the nail brush then give it another shot.
In another route you can also purchase I believe still at Sallys barbacide and dip it in and its great for cleaning and disenfecting combs and brushes (its a glass bottle with blueish colored liquid)It also prevents mold and mildew. Just an idea.:)

Aqua Gal
November 4th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Okay, I have two. One with a wooden base and a squishy paddle one(from Ulta). I clean mine all of the time with no problems. It is possible, you just have to be very careful. Soaking does not work with this type of brush.

I squirt a dime sized amount of shampoo in my palm, add a splash of water to thin it out, and turn the brush on it's side into my hand. I use my hand to squish around the shampoo. I rinse under the faucet with the bristles to the side, NOT facing up. Water never runs completely through the base. Next, I brush my hand back & forth through the bristles to get excess water out and lay bristles up to dry.

I hope that's clear and maybe just a bit helpful!

bna_rapunzel
November 4th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Okay, I have two. One with a wooden base and a squishy paddle one(from Ulta). I clean mine all of the time with no problems. It is possible, you just have to be very careful. Soaking does not work with this type of brush.

I squirt a dime sized amount of shampoo in my palm, add a splash of water to thin it out, and turn the brush on it's side into my hand. I use my hand to squish around the shampoo. I rinse under the faucet with the bristles to the side, NOT facing up. Water never runs completely through the base. Next, I brush my hand back & forth through the bristles to get excess water out and lay bristles up to dry.

I hope that's clear and maybe just a bit helpful!

This is my exact BBB. Thank you!! :D:D:D this is so helpful! :)

Moor_tu_lyfe
November 5th, 2011, 06:39 PM
With the water running directly onto the bristles?

I try not to have the water running directly on the bristles (i.e. I avoid perpendicular or 90 degrees to the brush...) and try to get the water, under a bit of pressure, to run through the bristles (does this make sense?), but I'm not really that fussy. I have never had water inside my brush (well... to the point that I can hear it anyway...) and although not a Mason Pearson (I WISH!!), it has a red rubber-like base to the bristles, and I haven't seen any mould or discolouration of the base, so fingers crossed.;)

Are Mason Pearson brushes stiffer then other BBB's? I've tried 3 types that I have bought locally, and really would like a firmer one that penetrates my medium thickness hair...