PDA

View Full Version : What do the Brits want?

misstwist
November 4th, 2011, 04:26 PM
My holiday swap giftee lives in UK. I want to send some things she can't get locally.

So, what things can y'all not get on your side of the pond, or is a real hassle to get, that it would be a treat to see in a package from the US?

Doesn't need to be just hair stuff.

Thanks so much for your help.

Arrow
November 4th, 2011, 04:37 PM
As far as I know, we can't get Flexi-8s here in the UK.

jojo
November 4th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Suave (is that the name?) conditioner! i hear so much in here about how nice and cheap but also very good this conditioner is!

Animae
November 4th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I know things like Lucky charms and Lemonheads are hard to find in the UK. (so is my best friend's favorite mac and cheese, which is the other thing I used to send her)

misstwist
November 4th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! Keep 'em commin'.

Suave conditioners are an interesting idea.

thelittlestdoc
November 5th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I'm not a Brit, but am friends with quite a few ladies living in the UK. If they're at all into cosmetics we have tons of affordable makeup items here that you can't get in the UK. You can check out a lot of swap videos on Youtube for ideas :D

pepperminttea
November 5th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Corndogs! But they don't post that well... :p

Thalia
November 5th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Earthly delight ;)

LovingLife
November 5th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I'm a brit :)
You can't get massssive bottles of conditioner, like aussie out here is like 1 pound per 100 mils :/
And you also can't get any goody hair products :)

infinity_girl
November 5th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Things in the UK are about 50% more expensive than the US. One of the things that I want to buy but can't get here are saltwater sandals, I think they are so cute.

Lissandria
November 5th, 2011, 03:30 AM
American Vo5! Vo5 in UK and Aus sucks!

hototogisu
November 5th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I also want Saltwater Sandals! I'd love to do a swap. Where do you organise them? I can send through Guhl things and stroopwaffels and Tony's Chocolate letters.

Unofficial_Rose
November 5th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Free People clothing!

Victoria's Secret 'The Lacie' undies!

Another vote for US VO5. In Strawberries and Cream, and Green Apple. Why can't WE get such stuff?:wail:

Curly Hermione
November 5th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I agree with all the conditioner ideas, and also the flexi-8 one. I remember when I went to Florida last Christmas the chocolate milk was pretty good!

PeachyWavy
November 5th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Flexi-8's and hairsticks seem so much easier to come by over there, and cheaper! Also, conditioner. It's much more expensive here and we can't get those huge bottles of Suave easily.

Failing that, easily shippable food items like beef jerky and candy work, if your giftee likes those sort of things :)

misstwist
November 5th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hey, I go to bed and the thread explodes! Guess that's what happens when I'm at -8 GMT.

It sounds like conditioners might be the way to go. I hopemthat others who have holiday giftees in UK get good ideas here.

Hototogisu, we don't do the kind of swaps you are talking about on this board. I'm just looking for ideas for a holiday gift. It looks like you could go to You Tube and look for swap videos to see where that kind of swap is organized.

heidi w.
November 5th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! Keep 'em commin'.

Suave conditioners are an interesting idea.

My problem with giving hair care products that are hard to acquire locally is that they may love the product, but can't get it again, at least not very easily or cheaply.

It's like a bad tease.
heidi w.

misstwist
November 5th, 2011, 09:35 AM
My problem with giving hair care products that are hard to acquire locally is that they may love the product, but can't get it again, at least not very easily or cheaply.

It's like a bad tease.
heidi w.

I was thinking of this as a treat, not a tease. Thanks for a different perspective.

moon2dove
November 5th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I'm a brit and agree with conditioners, Flexi 8 ect... :)

Sweets (candy) another good idea. Be careful about any food items though, they might get confiscated at the Airport. :) :)

RedheadMistress
November 5th, 2011, 05:02 PM
- I was just in the US . . if I wasn't freegan, I'd want twinkies .
After watching zombieland, they sound amazing !
I also miss your vegan pizzas, but you cant post that . . maybe some cool oils, different weird herbal conditioners . .

jojo
November 6th, 2011, 09:19 AM
any chance of a can of sunshine.....we don't get much of that and maybe gift wrap spidermom, id love to meet up with her ! :D

Marjolein
November 6th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Generally: Just about anything at Sally's? It seems like a wonderous magical place. Specifically: mini spin pins!!!

Purdy Bear
November 6th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I agree with the Flexi 8s, they are on ebay but are so expensive.

Becky9679
November 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Me personally, I'd want to try some vegan cakes and candy, from my few visits over there yours seem to be better than our selection!

katienoonan
November 6th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Twinkiiiiiiiies! :cheese:

summergreen
November 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Pretzel Flips :rockerdud dont know why they stopped selling them here, they were totally awesome!

misstwist
November 6th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Well, I did some shopping this weekend and will head to Sally's next weekend when I get back to Iowa.

I decided to go the hairtoy and makeup route and skip sending anything liquid.

Thanks for all the help!

StormVixen
November 7th, 2011, 07:08 AM
if no one has said this... Jolly Ranchers... mmmmm

UltraBella
November 7th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I was thinking of this as a treat, not a tease. Thanks for a different perspective.

I think it would be a lovely treat, and a nice break from whatever it is they use normally :)

Alaia
November 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I thought flexi-8 did international shipping? I seem to recall getting mine direct from them. But that was a while ago.

And Boots is now stocking Goody products.

I do agree that it's much easier to get hairtoys over there though. And everything is very expensive here too.

Whenever I go to the US I stock up on those Goldfish cheese flavoured snack things. I love them. :D

Burt's Bees, too. I love that stuff.

Libbylou
November 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
AHH, I wished I would have signed up for the gift exchange. I want to give someone overseas something. Always next year.

marzipanthecat
November 7th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Blue Jello!

Sugar Plum Spice herbal tea from Celestial Seasonings.

(There must be a ton of other things, but of course I just can't remember any right now...)

LaceyNg
November 7th, 2011, 10:25 AM
good idea for a thread! i swap regularly with someone in London, and here's my candy shopping list for her:

tootsie rolls
life savers
milk duds
lemonheads
mike & ike
chick-o-stick
butterfingers
jolly ranchers
tootsie poop
bit-o-honey
sugar daddy
sour patch kids
warheads
circus peanuts
candy corn

also, the new-ish revlon lip butters are a popular MU item right now that i donk think are available in the UK?

i also plan to send her some mac and cheese, among other things :)

tigereye
November 7th, 2011, 11:48 AM
good idea for a thread! i swap regularly with someone in London, and here's my candy shopping list for her:

tootsie rolls
life savers
milk duds
lemonheads
mike & ike
chick-o-stick
butterfingers
jolly ranchers
tootsie poop
bit-o-honey
sugar daddy
sour patch kids
warheads
circus peanuts
candy corn

also, the new-ish revlon lip butters are a popular MU item right now that i donk think are available in the UK?

i also plan to send her some mac and cheese, among other things :)

You mean they don't get Mike & Ike in London? I can usually get it at the Queen Street train station in Glasgow. Mmm. My friend and I usually buy it when we get the train down for band practice. Must admit though, I have never seen it anywhere else, but I don't really look for it, either.

I always wanted to try candy corn though

Unofficial_Rose
November 7th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I thought flexi-8 did international shipping? I seem to recall getting mine direct from them. But that was a while ago.

And Boots is now stocking Goody products.

I do agree that it's much easier to get hairtoys over there though. And everything is very expensive here too.

Whenever I go to the US I stock up on those Goldfish cheese flavoured snack things. I love them. :D

Burt's Bees, too. I love that stuff.

Can you not get Burt's Bees in Selfridges these days? Also I used to work on Farringdon Road and it has an organic cosmetics shop that sells Burts Bees.

EleanorD
November 7th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I always request peanut butter m&ms, Craft Mac&Cheese and pancake mix from my friends across the pond. Also make-up from Sephora or Orly nail polish that's super expensive here.

Alaia
November 7th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Tootsie rolls and life savers! I forgot about those! I love those too.

Can you not get Burt's Bees in Selfridges these days? Also I used to work on Farringdon Road and it has an organic cosmetics shop that sells Burts Bees.

Truesay. Usually we get them at twice the price as they are over there. The closest in price I've seen is in the Whole Foods in Kensington, but they don't have shampoo or conditioner. I remember the one I loved was the Raspberry and Brazil nut one (I think it was that...).

As usual in Expensive Britain, price is the issue :lol:

misstwist
November 7th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Blue Jello!

Sugar Plum Spice herbal tea from Celestial Seasonings.

(There must be a ton of other things, but of course I just can't remember any right now...)

I wondered about herbal tea. Is that widely available or would it be a treat?

I usually "cushion" a package with chocolate candies. Think I'll go with Tootsie Rolls this time.

Tabitha
November 7th, 2011, 03:57 PM
John Lewis and quite a few e-tailers also have BB.

cuddledumplin
November 7th, 2011, 04:10 PM
You can get Burt's Bees at Boots too.

FrozenBritannia
November 7th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Can you get Peanut Butter there now? I know you used to not be able to.

pepperminttea
November 7th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Yes. :) Couldn't go without it!

FrozenBritannia
November 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Yes. :) Couldn't go without it! :) Much better than Marmite hey? lol. I know people that loooove marmite though.

pixiestar
November 8th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Conditioner Idea is great, suave coconut and vo5 would love to try.
Burts Bees and Aubrey Organics is more expensive here to.

Toadstool
November 8th, 2011, 02:23 AM
I wondered about herbal tea. Is that widely available or would it be a treat?

It's widely available.
I always wanted to try Reese's peanut butter cups, and this year our local sweet shop got them in. I don't know if they're available elsewhere though.

Tabitha
November 8th, 2011, 04:55 AM

:) Much better than Marmite hey? lol. I know people that loooove marmite though.
Best of all is peanut butter AND Marmite :D

I always wanted to try Reese's peanut butter cups, and this year our local sweet shop got them in. I don't know if they're available elsewhere though.
Larger Tesco's have them ... I adore them. Just as well I don't live within walking distance.

pepperminttea
November 8th, 2011, 05:10 AM
:) Much better than Marmite hey? lol. I know people that loooove marmite though.

Not better, but different. :p

Unofficial_Rose
November 8th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Tootsie rolls and life savers! I forgot about those! I love those too.

Truesay. Usually we get them at twice the price as they are over there. The closest in price I've seen is in the Whole Foods in Kensington, but they don't have shampoo or conditioner. I remember the one I loved was the Raspberry and Brazil nut one (I think it was that...).

As usual in Expensive Britain, price is the issue :lol:

Annoying, isn't it? I saw something on the internet about Victoria's Secret opening a store in London, but I bet everything will be twice the price. :)

Immera
November 8th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Silly question -- Are there special considerations for shipping a liquid long distances?

So far the stuff I've gathered wouldn't be damaged if it flew in an unpressurized situation. I can answer is there anything liquid, perishable, etc., with a solid no.

Adding a bottle of conditioner, is it complicated?

Also I'm willing to bet the shipping costs for a bottle of cheapy Suave or VO5 will way outweigh the product's worth.

I guess I don't see the allure. The barebones Suave does nothing for me. My SO buys it for himself because it's the cheapest available. I have used some of the VO5s in the past; they were a bit more substantive, but they aren't anything special.

FrozenBritannia
November 8th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Best of all is peanut butter AND Marmite :D

I find that idea strangely appealing!

I'm LMAO over here, because I found things to be priced very well in England! I guess I was shopping at Primark tho :D. I didn't think the grocery prices were that much different from where i live (north canada) but then again, we do get dinged extra here because of the shipping as well, and it's way more expensive than down in the states.

Nightshade
November 8th, 2011, 03:36 PM
So what I take away from this thread is that the USA has rockin candy and junk food.

No wonder we're leading the world in obesity :lol:

Immera
November 8th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Did a little research at usps.com. Please tell me I am wrong.

To send 22.5 ounces (1 bottle of Suave FamilySize Conditioner) to England costs $14.97 by first class mail, which is as far as I can tell, the cheapest option. The product costs about a $1.50.

Folks, it is not worth $16 for a bottle of Suave (unless I'm wrong about the shipping costs ... if so please correct me).

misstwist
November 8th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Did a little research at usps.com. Please tell me I am wrong.

To send 22.5 ounces (1 bottle of Suave FamilySize Conditioner) to England costs $14.97 by first class mail, which is as far as I can tell, the cheapest option. The product costs about a $1.50.

Folks, it is not worth $16 for a bottle of Suave (unless I'm wrong about the shipping costs ... if so please correct me).

A medium size flat rate box is $10.95 to ship and has a 20 pound weight limit for international shipping. You should be able to get at least 4, maybe six regular size bottles in the box.

It's not about sending a product because it's inexpensive. Of course shipping is going to eat up any cost savings. It's about sending a gift. Something we like in the US that can't be had in the UK is a treat.

I'm going to pay the $10.95 for the flat rate box anyway. If there is room and it will remain under the weight limit it would seem parsimonius to not include something just because the shipping is higher than the price of the product.

Even if we were talking about regular shipments of low cost conditioners then the postage could well be "worth it" to someone who gets her best hair ever with that product. Don't confuse price and value.

Immera
November 8th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Good to see I misunderstood the online shipping calculator.

As for the value argument, well we disagree. For me, there is a tipping point. I've already long blew the $20 limit anyway.

---
Edit: Forgive me. I have only shipped internationally once before myself, and it was a very small package. I have learned a bit more.

I called USPS this morning, talked with a customer service rep. The flat-rate box you are talking about (at $10.95) might only apply to inside the United States. If it's 4 pounds or less you can ship first class but it's still pricey. My 2 1/2 pound box is going to cost $18.55. What I had packed last night (with three bottles) would cost $45.
I don't know if FEDEX or UPS could offer a better deal.

I'd give USPS a call before I buy those bottles. The number is 1-800-ASK-USPS (800-275-8777). While it would be nice to buy just anything for any price, monetary resources aren't limitless. If yours are, than it must be nice to be so blessed.

BlazingHeart
November 10th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Immera, if your box is not very big, you would save $5 by sending it as a small flat rate. The small flat rate runs $13 and change (exact amount depends on whether you buy the postage online or at the post office) and the weight limit is 4 lbs.

Sending from the us to the uk, a medium box does have a 20 lb limit, but the price is $45.

starlights
November 12th, 2011, 07:25 AM
A treat i would love to see from america is NYC eyeliner... omg we dont get that here... but its better than any khol eyeliner ive ever tried!! its the cheaper version of mac gel liner but it is such a treat for anyone over here!
oh and your nail polishes is sooo way better than ours here... which is why i stocked up on these things when i flew back to the UK in september :)

starlights
November 12th, 2011, 07:26 AM
i forgot to add... throw a hershey bar in the box... but only the cookies & creme version :P
i brought a tourmaline hair brush from wallmart... now THAT was a very good buy and its better than any brush ive used over here in the UK.

misstwist
November 13th, 2011, 09:41 PM
A treat i would love to see from america is NYC eyeliner... omg we dont get that here... but its better than any khol eyeliner ive ever tried!! its the cheaper version of mac gel liner but it is such a treat for anyone over here!
oh and your nail polishes is sooo way better than ours here... which is why i stocked up on these things when i flew back to the UK in september :)

Thanks for the specific info on make-up brands. What nail polish brands did you get?