PDA

View Full Version : Wetting your hair every day?

Nix
November 4th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Hi, all. I am hoping to get some more info on this. According to my aunt, whenever you shower you must use a shower cap, because wetting your hair every time makes it weak. True or false? When you are not washing your hair, do you wear a shower cap or anything else, or is a bit of water ok?

PinkyCat
November 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I wet my hair every day. I simply can't do second day hair because my hair shaft is so fine & the curls get easily mishapen. No weakness to speak of and NEVER a split end.

Amber_Maiden
November 4th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Well, I know that in the summer when I used to swim in my lake all the time my hair used to break more and be drier...

Now I wash my hair once a week, and it seems to be healthier...

Madora
November 4th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Your hair is at its weakest when it is wet. Therefore, you should use caution when detangling it in the shower, and in the general shampooing process.

Wearing a shower cap is a matter of preference. Most of the time I do, but there have been a few times when I did not.

spidermom
November 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Yes, there's something to it. When you wet your hair, the hair shaft swells and the cuticles raise a bit. The more often you do it, the more likely it is that some of your cuticles will be damaged and fail to close smoothly.

Plus water disrupts the hydrogen bonds, which is why your hair is weaker and more prone to damage when it's wet.

I wear a shower cap except on the days I'm washing my hair.

Curly Hermione
November 4th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I don't wear a shower cap, I just try and keep my hair clear of the water. It usually works, I only get a little bit of spray on it, or just the hair at the nape might get wet. I don't think this has caused me any damage, but these ladies know more than I do :) :flower:

MychelleC
November 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I don't wet in between washes, as the moisture swells the hair shaft and leads to frizz. I use a shower cap.

uptosomeone
November 4th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I don't wet it on the "between shower" days unless I need straight hair to wear down since I've noticed my hair looks greasier after rewetting than it does if I leave it dry through my shower.

Avital88
November 4th, 2011, 01:41 PM
my hair breaks more in summer yes, then it gets wet more alot so i see it as truth

Anje
November 4th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I usually just wear mine up in the shower, and save the shower cap for when my hair's soaked in conditioner, so it doesn't get rinsed out or pick up soap from my body. Wetting my hair daily means letting my hair dry daily, and that's a pain.

There are some folks here, though, who get the best results from moistening their ends most days, then tucking them into a bun so they can absorb the water. As long as you're gentle, it seems like a good way to combat dryness.

jojo
November 4th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I clip mine up on none wash days, water weakens hair but I think its more how you treat it when its wet which is the damaging part.

Macaroni
November 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM
In the summer I wet it every day that I don't co-wash. I think letting the water run through the scalp and cleanse it of any salt from sweat is a good idea for me. I don't get tangles so I don't touch my hair until it has airdried.

XcaliburGirl
November 4th, 2011, 02:07 PM
For what it's worth, I grew my hair to classic washing every day. I don't know if the 'cones helped reinforce my hair or not. To me the benefits of washing every day outweigh the risks, if there are any.

"Your mileage may vary", as they say. Someone else's hair may be more prone to breakage when wet.

Fairlight63
November 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I think that it depends on your hair.
My hair is very dry. So my hair HATES getting just water on it. It gets really dry & frizzy, so I HAVE to put cond. on it also. I also have hard water - that may also be why just water on my hair is not good.
I always put a shower cap on when taking a shower unless I am going to wash my hair. I wash my hair 2 times a wk. usually. I probably should only wash it once a week it is so dry.

QMacrocarpa
November 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I just put my hair up when I'm not washing it, I don't put a shower cap over it. My hair gets a little damp here and there, but I haven't noticed problems from it, and I guess I'm more worried about potentially-hormone-disrupting compounds (phthalates, e.g.) in a plastic shower cap.

Lamb
November 4th, 2011, 03:14 PM
If I knew of a dry way to avert bedhead, I wouldn't stick my head under the tap every morning.

As it is, I wash it every day in the morning.

Guess I could keep my hair covered for 3 days and only wash it on the 4th (or use curlers, or boudeoir caps, or whatever), but as my hair is fine and wurly and thin AND short, I just do what I've gotta do. :shrug: Which is: wash it every day. (Can't bring myself to say "wet it", sorry. The phrase reminds me of dogs with one leg in the air.)

KwaveT
November 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I only wet my hair on wash days. We have hard water so that is a problem. Wetting also weakens the hair. I have to let it air dry for three hours. I only want to deal with all this on my three wash days.

DreamDance
November 5th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I feel gross when I don't wash my hair every morning, or at least spray down the roots with water if I'm in a rush. I had drier ends and tons of splits when I was washing once a week. Now I CO every morning and put coconut oil in my hair every night. No splits, and soft hair.

Just saying, it works for me. Do what's right for you and your hair.

Nix
November 9th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Hm, looks like the jury is out on this one. I guess I will see how my hair reacts to not getting wet everyday

CurlyCap
November 9th, 2011, 10:22 PM
My hair is fine and curly. Not getting it wet just means it gets more dry and distorted as time goes on. This makes it prone to breaking and splitting.

I've been co-washing everyday in some form or other for 4+ years and my hair rarely splits or breaks. HTH

HumanBean
November 9th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I just joking LHC but have only washed my hair every 5-7 days for years. I don't wet it. I just clip it up (it's almost APL) with one big claw clip to keep it out of the water.

joflakes
November 10th, 2011, 12:28 AM
I sometimes do and sometimes don't wet my hair daily, it totally depends on the state of it in the morning! I certainly wouldn't be put off because of breakage though...I have bigger things to worry about like hairdrying or straightening! Mostly though I just shower every other day and have an at the sink full body wash the other day.