PDA

View Full Version : Colder weather=moments of weakness?

CurlyMopTop
November 4th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I broke down and used a blowfryer today! :rolleyes: I used low heat and kept it from getting to close to my hair or scalp until my hair was about 85% dry. I have to admit that it felt soooo good to not have wet hair for 3 hours, but I started thinking; I wonder who on LHC has breakdowns like this when the weather starts getting colder? I'd like to hear about your wintertime/cold weather heat confessions, especially from you fellow curlies. How do you manage making it through the cold weather without heat and not get cold from having wet hair? :cool:

misspurdy06
November 4th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I broke down the other night because my furnace is broken and my hot shower only warmed me up for 10 minutes.

I go to use my blow dryer after months of not using it to find it was broken.

I told my mother and she said " Oh, really" in a very guilty voice. So I know who broke it.

jojo
November 4th, 2011, 08:52 AM
A lot of people use a hairdryer from this site over winter; its no big deal. I only wash my hair once to twice a week and let it dry 80% and then using a warm setting finish off the drying, most of the time I wash in the evening.

As long as its not on hot and held too close to your hair its fine, the secret is keeping the dryer moving.

chou
November 4th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I use a blow dryer with a diffuser 3-4 times a week when I need to leave early. I don't see what the big deal is. My theory is that a lot of the supposed damage caused by blow drying comes not just from the heat, but a combination of daily vigorous round brushing and high heat that some people use to style their hair. Mine doesn't even get that hot. I can hold my hand up to the diffuser on low (which is what I use on my hair) for a minute or more with no discomfort. It's just warm, moving air. This is so different from other types of heat styling like curling and flat irons that can give you third degree burns.
I try to let my hair dry about 75% while I'm having breakfast and getting ready but that last 25% would take hours to finish without the dryer. With the dryer it takes 5-8 minutes to fully dry. My hair's too short to bun up at night and just go in the morning and if I go out with damp waves TERRIBLE things happen. The shape of my hair is too easily influenced when it's wet, and I think this might be true for other curlies/wavies as well. As far as I'm concerned, a blow dryer is sometimes necessary for my hair type.
If my clothing brushes my damp hair the wrong way I could have a huge cowlick on the back of my head all day. I am firmly pro-blow dryer and no one can convince me otherwise. Maybe when my hair gets long enough I will damp bun out of laziness and stop blow drying.

QMacrocarpa
November 4th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I don't have hairdryer moments of weakness, as I don't have a hairdryer (I wash once a week so wet hair isn't an every-day issue for me), but last night I was out at a concert and the room seemed very chilly to me, and they had ceiling fans going, so drafts everywhere. At intermission I took my hairstick out and left my hair down for the extra warmth. It felt like a cold-weather moment of weakness to me! :D

racrane
November 4th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I understand. I feel so guilty using a blow dryer but if I'm going to the gym and I walk outside and it's below 0 degrees (in WI this happens), no way do I want my hair frozen! I figure if I do the things suggested above and it's not everyday, I'm okay.

FrozenBritannia
November 4th, 2011, 05:21 PM
my cold weather moment of weakness:

:o

Not showering till after I've dropped the kid off at school. Especially if I have to wash my hair. It just too much of a shock to go from warm shower to below zero. I know it's supposed to be good for you, but I'm one of those people that feels more like they are going to pass out than run a marathon when the heart gets pumping.

KwaveT
November 4th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I guess I have always been more hot natured so being cold doesn't bother me as much. First, I do my washing in the evening so I am usually letting my hair air dry while on this forum. I guess since the house is kept relatively warm then the cold temperatures are really no bother to me. Your body is very resilient because I could just let myself drip dry out of the shower. My body heat will eventually dissolve all the water off my body in about ten minutes and I am no longer cold at that point. In fact, I don't even put clothes on until the next morning. My satin sheets/comforter keep me thoroughly warm through the night. My hair takes about three hours to air dry completely. My hair is dry before going to bed. I don't have a need to ever use the blow dryer.

Amber_Maiden
November 4th, 2011, 06:25 PM
This reminds me that I really need to get earmuffs :D

Juneii
November 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM
oh no! how could you? you have ruined your hair forever!

No, I am just kidding. Blow drying your hair before heading out into the cold is a good idea - why take the discomfort of having a cold head over slightly healthier hair? I remember reading somewhere that having wet hair when it is cold out can damage it too. Correct me if I am wrong :)

Carolyn
November 4th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I don't think using a blow dryer is weakness or anything to feel guilty about. You can use a blow dryer without frying your hair. Seriously, you can. You don't have to use high heat and you don't have to blow it for a half hour or more. You can let it air dry first and finish off with the dryer. I refuse to feel guilty about things like this. I think we each know what our hair can handle and act accordingly. Common sense!

jojo
November 4th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I don't think using a blow dryer is weakness or anything to feel guilty about. You can use a blow dryer without frying your hair. Seriously, you can. You don't have to use high heat and you don't have to blow it for a half hour or more. You can let it air dry first and finish off with the dryer. I refuse to feel guilty about things like this. I think we each know what our hair can handle and act accordingly. Common sense!

my thoughts too, lifes too short to feel guilty about making sure your hairs dry on a cold day! and id imagine going out with wet hair on a freezing day would cause your hair to freeze, which would be more damaging to the hair. I remember when i was little I used to suck my hair and then deliberately let it freeze so I could snap the ends off.....now thats gross yeah!

Tomoyo
November 5th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I pretty much put natural drying to rest during the winter months and don't feel the least bit guilty about it. I still let it dry naturally for about an hour before and just "finish it off" after.

PeachyWavy
November 5th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I pretty much put natural drying to rest during the winter months and don't feel the least bit guilty about it. I still let it dry naturally for about an hour before and just "finish it off" after.

This :D . Besides, different people all have different levels of tolerance about how much heat styling their hair can take. Me, even blowdrying on a low heat takes it's toll over a short while. But if you're one of the lucky ones who can - go for it! It's all about what works for you at the end of the day. :D

Avital88
November 5th, 2011, 04:35 AM
in winter i always wash my hair at night for this reason..going outside with wet hair while freezing is not an idea, also in winter i have weeks i only wash it once a week because i dont like the cold of wet hair..the blowdrier i really dont wanna use again hope i will make it through without it

Lilli
November 5th, 2011, 07:24 AM
For me, cold hair doesn't make me use a blowdryer more, b/c I don't mind being cold in the morning. What does happen, though, is that my hair gets very flat and thin-looking b/c of the dry air, and dull, and staticky, and it makes me want to chop it off.

kaitmil
November 5th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I agree with you Lilli, I have the same problem with static in the hair during the winter, and have thought many times about cutting it short to not have to deal with it. I try to keep it in an updo. Helps a little with the frustration, as I have yet to find another solution that works on my hair.

CurlyMopTop
November 5th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Thanks a lot for all of your input. I feel much better about it now. For the last couple of years or so I just put it up in a claw clip while wet and off I went. I just couldn't face doing that again this winter. It never dries until the end of the day when I'm back home and let it down, so then I'm cold for the whole day because I'm walking around with a wet head. I work realllly long hours during the winter in a professional environment that I'm expected to look my best at all times. In order to do that I'm going to have to at least wet my hair down every other day. My curls only look good on the first day. Second day hair I can put up, by the third day I need to re-wet and at least condition so that I can detangle and start all over again. I tried stretching washes by putting it up wet so that it dries straight and just kept it up, but that wasn't working out so well either. I don't think that my hair liked the daily brushing. Thanks again for making me feel better, now I know that I'm not committing a hair sin! :D

pink.sara
November 5th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Mine gets blowfried until it's 70/80% dry about twice a week in the winter. Like others have said a medium heat and keeping the dryer moving means very little damage for me.

Letting it airdry would mean it being wet for about 8-10 hours a day.
Plus I've had it freeze before on the bus stop even under a big wooly hat :(
That's waaay worse than the dryer!

bunzfan
November 5th, 2011, 09:18 AM
What i do is leave my hair in the towel for about 20 minutes by that point a lot of the dampness has gone out of my hair and then it only takes about an hour to dry i also make sure i am wearing my warmest dressing gown so i don't get cold, i usually wash my hair in the evening.

lapushka
November 5th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Just wanted to chime in and say: well said!

QueenOfTheSkye
November 5th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I shower in the evening, so when I wake up, it's dry (or mostly dry, anyway, if I braid it).

lesbia
November 5th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I let my hair in a towel until they are 80% dry. Then if I can let it dry in the air ok, if not I only use blowdry on my roots only to protect the ends :)

Maraz
November 5th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Cold doesn't usually bother me, I've gone out with wet hair and ended up with ice crystals in it (probably not good for it, come to think of it!), but I loathe the feel of taking a shower and not washing my hair in Winter. For some reason having cold, damp but not wet hair makes my skin crawl.

Rybe
November 5th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I usually break down and do it when I have to be somewhere classy within an hour or three...My hair takes an absurdly long time to dry, which is why I almost always shower at night. But sometimes I forget...or am too lazy...or wake up and realize my hair suddenly turned greasy overnight!

But, I think if it got as cold here as it does some other places, I'd be tempted to blowdry a wee bit more often, that's for sure!

KatjicaMjau
November 6th, 2011, 02:44 PM
In two years (maybe little bit less than two years, I dont know anymore) I broke down only once.
it was thist september, and only because I was in a hurry (I was late to a meeting with a friend) and outside was cold and I didn't want to catch a cold or sth.

beckishness
November 6th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I find that if my head is too wet and cold for long I start sneezing! I try to let it air dry as much as possible before going to the blow dryer, but sometimes I can't wait. I just can't control the sneezing!

Rowan1980
November 6th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I don't own one, which is just as well, I suppose. I do, however, have to wash my hair in the evening, as I do not want damp hair to freeze while I'm waiting for the bus in the morning.

ktani
November 6th, 2011, 03:35 PM
It is better to do that than catch a chill. It sounds as if you were careful.

My hair dries in 1.5 hours (currently at waist, I lost track and what I had cut off grew back).

It was still damp when I had to leave for work this week, so I just put it up without securing it and put a hat over it.

turtlelover
November 6th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I've gotten my hair to waist length in perfectly good health and used a blow dryer, so I don't worry about it. I am not aiming for SUPER long lengths anyway! I HATE to be cold...it just isn't worth it to me!

papera
November 6th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I haven't used a hair dryer in years ... until this October.

Since my hair has grown hip length it just takes ages to dry, even though I don't have thick hair, rather fine (but many!). And well, I think using a hair dryer on the low heat level does no harm to your hair and IT IS better than catching a cold!

jesis
November 6th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I used to use a blowdryer in the winter, otherwise my hair would freeze. Now, I wash my hair in the afternoon when I get out of class about every other day. If it doesn't look good in the morning, I put it up or I wear a hat. I'm trying to only use heat on my hair once every 2 or 3 months so I have to find other ways to cope! :)