PDA

View Full Version : Hair feels dry......

GracieRae
November 3rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
My hair feels dry when I try and stretch washes. It tangles easier. Does anyone else experience this? I don't use cones but I think when I use a coney conditioner it doesn't do this quite as much. Am I doomed to use cones? Lol

isabelx
November 3rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
Cones are great but build up and cause hair to be even more drier than they originally were. Do you clarify?

GracieRae
November 3rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
Yes, if it feels 'off'. Maybe I just *have* to wet and use conditioner everyday?

isabelx
November 3rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Maybe. I CO-wash every day with a cone-free conditioner and it seems to have done my hair some good :) let's hope some other members chime in here!

Slinks
November 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
yesterday I used a birthday gift that I got given to me it was a condish that is full of protiens and no cones - I didn't like the results AT ALL the end of my hair were dry to the feel but not to look it, it looked very nice but the feel of it was not what I would want to go thru again - I went cone free back in March for a week, while it looks good I can't handle the feel of it ..

so back to cones I go with the once a month clarify and vinegar rince ..

CONES are not a bad thing :-)

LocustSpawning
November 3rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
I agree with Slinks - cones are NOT bad! If they work for you, why not use them? As long as you clarify as often as needed (for me, once a month) it's absolutely fine. If they make your hair feel good, use them :) Others have just found that their hair does better without them, that's all. Maybe that's not the case for you, everyones hair is different :)

pepperminttea
November 3rd, 2011, 05:28 PM
Might be too much protein in your shampoo/conditioner - look for things in the ingredients that either end in 'protein' or start in 'hydrolysed'. Wheat and silk seem to pop up a lot.

On the other hand, oils might help. :) Do you use any? A few drops (literally, 2-3 drops) of a light oil post-wash does a lot to keep my hair happy. (And I mess about with 'cones sometimes - the oil still helps.) Camellia's a nice light one, or NightBlooming's Triple Moon oil. Be careful with coconut oil though - a great oil, but tricky not to apply too heavily.

jojo
November 3rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
My hair only ever feels dry after a week or 2 in the sun. I find that doing co washing for a week or so brings my hair back to normal. SMT's are also a good choice.

Aqua Gal
November 3rd, 2011, 06:00 PM
That happens to me too.

When my ends feel dry, I spritz lightly with water, add a small blob of conditioner and bun overnight. Voila! Soft manageable hair again.

Cones vs. no cones. Either way, I'm prone to dry ends, so this method works for me.

Amber_Maiden
November 3rd, 2011, 08:07 PM
My hair loves cones! I clarify with some ACV every couple of weeks :)

GracieRae
November 3rd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Thank you for all the input!!! :) I always feel guilty when I use cones. Like I'm slowly killing my hair and suffocating it. I know it's a mental thing though. So, does ACV clarify cones??? I thought only sulfates could?

GracieRae
November 3rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
That happens to me too.

When my ends feel dry, I spritz lightly with water, add a small blob of conditioner and bun overnight. Voila! Soft manageable hair again.

Cones vs. no cones. Either way, I'm prone to dry ends, so this method works for me.

Oh! I think judging by your hair type, we have really similar hair. Maybe I should try this. Thank you !!! :) that's a good idea. What's your routine like? I used to co wash only but I've been all over the map lately looking for something that magically makes my hair look like a pantene commercial LOL!!!

DreamDance
November 3rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
I go bonkers if I don't wash my hair every couple of days and I've been wetting it down daily recently... Do what feels right for your hair.

GracieRae
November 3rd, 2011, 10:59 PM
Might be too much protein in your shampoo/conditioner - look for things in the ingredients that either end in 'protein' or start in 'hydrolysed'. Wheat and silk seem to pop up a lot.

On the other hand, oils might help. :) Do you use any? A few drops (literally, 2-3 drops) of a light oil post-wash does a lot to keep my hair happy. (And I mess about with 'cones sometimes - the oil still helps.) Camellia's a nice light one, or NightBlooming's Triple Moon oil. Be careful with coconut oil though - a great oil, but tricky not to apply too heavily.

Oh yeah! I love coconut oil as a pre wash but gave up on trying to make it work as a leave in. Olive oil works great too but I think I found a winner in sweet almond oil. Makes my hair so shiny! I have to put it on damp hair though. Then I do the whole 'ok can't wait for it to dry to see if I over did it' dance lol :)

Sundial
November 4th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Also, just chipping in to say that stretching washes doesnt work for everyone :p My hair gets dry and tangly when I tried stretching washes. The longest I can go is washing every alternate day. So I just try to pick gentler methods of washing like CO, CWC, or just diluting shampoo

tigereye
November 4th, 2011, 02:49 AM
I do a deep treatment every week on wash day, generally with an SMT or similar, but sometimes I'll just go for cone-free condish for an hour or two. I usually do the housework, or uni assignments while I'm waiting. I've been slowly trying to wean myself off the cones at the moment, and my hair is rather a lot better. The cones seem to keep moisture out of my hair.
I usually CWC wash with a diluted SLS shampoo (helps get rid of the cones slowly) and a cone-free condish, with the final conditioning being the deep treatment. I still use coney condish after henna-ing, because the texture goes a bit crazy for a day or so, and my hair would take a fit at me if I suddenly gave up cones, hence the need for an SLS shampoo.
Once I've weaned myself totally off cones, I can give up the SLS too.

maria_tasha
November 4th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I have the same problem but my dry ends are mixed with a really oily scalp. I use SLS but a cone free conditioner: Garnier fructis triple nutrition and it does wonders. It's no longer dry and tangle free. Also a great conditioner but with cones is Dove Intensive repair. Try using it only on your ends and as a leave in.

GracieRae
November 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I have the same problem but my dry ends are mixed with a really oily scalp. I use SLS but a cone free conditioner: Garnier fructis triple nutrition and it does wonders. It's no longer dry and tangle free. Also a great conditioner but with cones is Dove Intensive repair. Try using it only on your ends and as a leave in.

Why do you think our hair gets dry unless wet down and conditioned everyday? Moisture evaporating??? Those are some helpful tips, thank you!! How often do you wash?

blondie9912
November 4th, 2011, 05:37 PM
That happens to me when I try to stretch washed too long! I just washed after a week of not washing at all, and my ends were getting very crispy