PDA

View Full Version : (Official) BS/ ACV thread

MissAlida
November 3rd, 2011, 12:49 AM
I've been searching and searching for a thread like this, but couldn't find any. So I tought I might start one. I ask the moderators to delete it, if a similar thread already exists.:)
I am on a baking soda/white vinegar routine, and couldn't find many members, who have the same routine. There are lots of pros and cons of BS/vinegar. This thread should be a place to ask and reply, and clarify any uncertainty about the method.
Feel free to share your experiences...you might just help someone else with them.:blossom:

MissAlida.

MissAlida
November 4th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I never tought that I'm the only person who uses this routine...:confused:

Lapin
November 4th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I use it sometimes!
I alternate between BS/ACV and CWC, depending on how my hair's doing. I think my hair actually prefers BS/ACV over CWC, although I'm still trudging down that long road of understand what my hair is doing and why.

I think it's a great routine, and it's cheap :) The real reason I don't do it more often is that I have yet to figure out how to premix the BS with water other than *right* beforehand. I shower at night, when I'm sleepy, and I tend to find myself in there before I realize what I'm missing.

Have you found a good technique for preparing BS ahead of time? I've considered just throwing some in a jar with water and keeping that in my shower, but I feel like it would go flat or something.

morrigan*
November 4th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I use BS, conditioner and then ACV rinse from time to time, when i really need good clean.

JessL
November 4th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I used BS and ACV for about a month when I went no-poo. The problem was after about three weeks my hair went from oily to very dry and frizzy. I cut down on how often I did it and then eventually went to water only which is working better for me.

The way I was doing it was adding 1 TBS of BS to 8 oz water in a squrt bottle. I would keep that in the shower and just squirt some on my roots, and massage in. Then I would leave it for a few minutes and rinse. Then I diluted ACV in water - probably about a cap full in 4 cups water. I would dunk most of my hair in and swish and then pour the rest over my head and rinse.

FrozenBritannia
November 4th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I use BS/ white vinegar! I found it works really well for my hair, only I miss the smell of the S+C.. LOL. I have been using S+C the last few times just because I have been too busy to make up some BS mix, and there was a stinky hair thing going on, but I'm not sure if that was just weather changing, or my hormones being off (little bit low thyroid and iron) or if I just need to wash more often? I have been trying to wash on sunday and wednesday, but maybe I need to wash every other day?

I also bought some tea tree oil which I'm going to add to either the BS or the vinegar rinse...

MissAlida
November 30th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I use it sometimes!
I alternate between BS/ACV and CWC, depending on how my hair's doing. I think my hair actually prefers BS/ACV over CWC, although I'm still trudging down that long road of understand what my hair is doing and why.

I think it's a great routine, and it's cheap :) The real reason I don't do it more often is that I have yet to figure out how to premix the BS with water other than *right* beforehand. I shower at night, when I'm sleepy, and I tend to find myself in there before I realize what I'm missing.

Have you found a good technique for preparing BS ahead of time? I've considered just throwing some in a jar with water and keeping that in my shower, but I feel like it would go flat or something.
I keep my BS in a jar (dry). I also keep a small cup in the bathroom. When I want to wash my hair, I just pour some BS in the cup (aprox. 1 tbs), add some water, then mix it with my finger, to form a paste. Same with the vinegar. A small amount in a bottel on the shelf, and dilute it with water right before washing. Hope this helps. :)

MissAlida
November 30th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I used BS and ACV for about a month when I went no-poo. The problem was after about three weeks my hair went from oily to very dry and frizzy. I cut down on how often I did it and then eventually went to water only which is working better for me.

The way I was doing it was adding 1 TBS of BS to 8 oz water in a squrt bottle. I would keep that in the shower and just squirt some on my roots, and massage in. Then I would leave it for a few minutes and rinse. Then I diluted ACV in water - probably about a cap full in 4 cups water. I would dunk most of my hair in and swish and then pour the rest over my head and rinse.
It's nice that you found the routine your hair likes most.:) I've tried WO too, just to find out that my hair needs a good cleaning... As for the vinegar part, that is exactly how I'm doing my rinse :D. Except for the dilution (1 tbs in 1 cup water).

MissAlida
November 30th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I use BS/ white vinegar! I found it works really well for my hair, only I miss the smell of the S+C.. LOL. I have been using S+C the last few times just because I have been too busy to make up some BS mix, and there was a stinky hair thing going on, but I'm not sure if that was just weather changing, or my hormones being off (little bit low thyroid and iron) or if I just need to wash more often? I have been trying to wash on sunday and wednesday, but maybe I need to wash every other day?

I also bought some tea tree oil which I'm going to add to either the BS or the vinegar rinse...

I wash twice a week...on sunday and wedbesday.:D Maybe you need to wash more often if you have an oily scalp, I don't know...as about the smell. I was missing the smell of my conditioner, so I came up with a solution. And it's very simple and very easy. You just buy a spray bottle, fill it with water, then add about a teaspoon of your conditioner, seal it and shake the bottle well. After you wash your hair, you just spray it with the conditioner/water mixture. Makes your hair smell great, and it acts as a leave in, fighting frizz. :)

FrozenBritannia
November 30th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I wash twice a week...on sunday and wedbesday.:D Maybe you need to wash more often if you have an oily scalp, I don't know...as about the smell. I was missing the smell of my conditioner, so I came up with a solution. And it's very simple and very easy. You just buy a spray bottle, fill it with water, then add about a teaspoon of your conditioner, seal it and shake the bottle well. After you wash your hair, you just spray it with the conditioner/water mixture. Makes your hair smell great, and it acts as a leave in, fighting frizz. :)
I will have to try that!

highlightedmess
December 10th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I am going into my third week of using this method. I have been trying to wash every other day but it has been tough because I definitely am going through the greaseball transition. I also didn't do any kind of gradual transition. I went from using cone laden drugstore shampoo/condition one day to this method the next.

Today was the first day that my hair didn't really seem greasy anywhere once it was detangled and dry. That feeling hasn't lasted the whole day although it is definitely an improvement over the last two weeks.

Jessibear2854
December 10th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I go through phases with BS/Vin. Last summer when I went to visit my parents in another state, I was stuck without ANY conditioner (my mom doesn't use it) and that was during my CO stint where I wouldn't touch shampoo more than once a month. So, I used BS/WV every other day for two weeks. My hair looked great, but it always does when I go back to the midwest. For some strange reason, humidity is a friend to my hair.

I missed the smell of shampoo and conditioner as well, so I put a couple drops of lavender oil in the vinegar and that helped.

highlightedmess
December 21st, 2011, 07:17 PM
Has anyone accidentally used baking powder instead of baking soda? I did! I actually I had really good results using the baking powder. My hair was much happier. Now I am using a mix of baking soda/baking powder with much better results than baking soda alone.

Kelikea
December 21st, 2011, 07:31 PM
I used this method all summer, until my ends felt dry. Then I tried CO, until I became a greaseball. Then I tried oil-shampoo, but that can cause build-up. Then I go back to BS/ACV, or WO/ACV. So...the BS/ACV is my go-to fall back option, but I like to try other things as well :)

Lilhypsy
January 9th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I need a good ratio for the ACV rinse...anyone??

wahmof9
January 9th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I have been using this for about a month now and like it a lot. The trick I have been told is in the ACV/water ratio...too little ACV = dry hair, too much = oily hair. My hair is super fine and I love it...so far anyway

cooklaezo13
January 9th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I use baking soda and a citric acid rinse (instead of vinegar rinse . . . I couldn't stand the vinegar smell.)
I sometimes put conditioner (suave naturals) on the ends of my hair when using the bs rinse because the bs rinse is too drying for my ends. I have also tried oiling the ends before washing and that helps too.
I can go three days without washing before my hair looks greasy and I have to wash again on the fourth day.

wahmof9
January 10th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Curious about the experience of others with this method

cooklaezo13
January 11th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I've been using it since the end of November and had good experiences with it. My hair doesn't seem any better or worse than when I was using an organic shampoo and conditioner before I switched to bs/ca. It sure is a lot cheaper than the organic shampoo and conditioner, and I like that a lot!

MissAlida
January 18th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I know I started this thread, and I feel a bit ashamed, because I have to admit, that I left the method.In my defence I have a good reason for it tough. I have been shedding alot for the past...let me see...couple of years.:( So I decided to try a shampoo from the pharmacy. A friend of mine adviced me to try it, she has the same problem: shedding due to stress, especially during exams(we go to the same college, so I know what she's talking about). So now I'm using the shampoo, followed by the WV rinse. I couldn't give that up aswell, I love it too much. I hope I'll have some positive results from the shampoo. So far, I think that the BS/WV routine is way better than this harsh shampoo. This shampoo dries out my scalp too much, and I'm beginning to get flakes again(which I did not have when I was on BS routine). So, I'll see how it goes, and I hope I can be back with you all on the BS/WV routine soon.:)

BlondieHepburn
January 18th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I know I started this thread, and I feel a bit ashamed, because I have to admit, that I left the method.

You shouldn't be ashamed at all.

I used only BS/ACV for a year and it was wonderful. Then, suddenly, it wasn't so wonderful anymore. My hair was dry and frizzy and unhappy. I went back to conventional S & C and my hair is nice again.

In my experience it is better to change up your routine occasionally. You have to go according to how your hair is responding to any method, and it is rare that just one method works for a lifetime.

cooklaezo13
January 19th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Hi MissAlida, the most important thing is doing what works for your hair, not adhering to any particular method just because. I hope that the shampoo helps you with your shedding, and if not, you can always return to bs/acv or just do whatever works for you. Wishing you the best with your hair and your exams, I am also a student so I know how stressful that can be!
I've been doing condition-only washes for my past couple washes because it is very dry here and I found the baking soda to be getting too harsh and drying.

AlejandraMnz15
February 3rd, 2012, 12:25 AM
Hey, I'm Alejandra, I'm new here.

I've been doing the BS/ACV wash for sometime now. I got my sister doing it too. Our hair absolutely loves it! I strongly feel it's a matter of proportion, and discovering what works best for YOUR own hair. Each individual's hair is different, therefore there will never be only one method that works for all of us.

That being said, my strategy: I use two big water bottles as the applicators. One slightly smaller then the other. I add about one tablespoon of BS to the smaller water bottle(20oz) and fill the rest with warm to hot water. I use the bigger bottle(28oz) for the ACV, I add a fairly good amount of ACV (About 2-4 fl oz), and again, fill the rest of the bottle with warm to hot water. In the shower I wash my hair with cool water(Not as warm as the mixture, but not cold). I massage the BS wash in my scalp, then quickly wash it out. I then Apply the ACV to my hair. Since the bottle is really big, I first add half of the wash. I let it sit in my hair while I wash my face... ect. I then apply the rest of the ACV Rinse to my hair, making sure I add some to the back of my head as well, and wash it out with the Tub Faucet. I do this because my shower head doesn't let out enough water. I feel the faucet really soaks my hair, and get all the ACV out. My hair feels really soft and silky afterwards. I do this about once, or sometimes twice a week. I like to sleep on a satin pillow case, only because I move a lot in my sleep. This keeps my hair moisturized, and keeps it from getting frizzy from the friction of the movement.

My sister's mixture differs for mine, due to the fact that we have different hair texture, scalps...ect.

Before doing this my scalp was prone to dandruff, itchy, and it would get really greasy after 48 hours of being unwashed.

My advise and personal opinion is that if you want to try this out, then ease into it. Don't go "Cold Turkey" on it. If you do then the transition period will be really rough, and you most likely won't go long enough for your hair to get over that transition period and experience the actual results it can provide you with. Then again everybody is different. (:

If you have any ideas, suggestions, or tips for me I would love to hear them!
TIA

HollywoodRouge
February 3rd, 2012, 05:54 AM
Hey guys, was thinking of doing a white vinegar rinse on my hair, with a dilution of 2 teaspoons in 2 cups of water, how acidic is this considered? Considering this is my first time, should i use less or more?

silverjen
February 4th, 2012, 06:58 PM
HollywoodRouge, that sounds pretty strong to me. When I use a vinegar rinse, it's about a teaspoon to 20 oz water. The strength you need to make it seems to depend on how hard or soft your water is. Softer water = less vinegar.

You can actually taste it to judge how strong it is. It should be mildly sour.

Kelikea
February 4th, 2012, 07:27 PM
http://s7d3.scene7.com/is/image/SallyBeauty/SBS-198080?wid=225&hei=225&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.9,1.0,4,0&iccEmbed=0This is a color applicator bottle, available at Sally's. I have similar bottles, only they are from Walmart, meant for condiment or salad dressings. Anyway, they are about 16 or 20 oz bottles. I put a tbs or 2 scoop of BS in one, and about an inch of acv in the other, fill with water, and shake. I leave both of them in the bathroom to use as needed. The bs can be used to wash hair or body and face. The acv can be used as hair rinse or body rinse, and is great as a facial toner on a cotton ball. It is really good to prevent acne, so I use it on my face and back whenever I shower. Diluted vinegar does not have to be rinsed off, unless used around the eye area. Acne bacteria, yeast and fungus(dandruff) do not like acidic environments, which is why acidic rinses are so helpful:)

HollywoodRouge
February 5th, 2012, 03:20 AM
HollywoodRouge, that sounds pretty strong to me. When I use a vinegar rinse, it's about a teaspoon to 20 oz water. The strength you need to make it seems to depend on how hard or soft your water is. Softer water = less vinegar.

You can actually taste it to judge how strong it is. It should be mildly sour.

I just looked it up, and apparently in my area we have VERY soft water! So yay for that i guess. Might just go down to 1/2 teaspoon in 2 cups water.

PurplePenguin
April 20th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Ok I'm not sure if anyone here could help with this but I don't want to start a new thread just for a quick question - I clarified with baking soda (mixed some in with my shampoo) and now I seem to be...losing a lot of hair. I mean a good handful worth. I just took down corn rows but I got most of the shed hair out before I got into the shower and wasn't pulling out huge chunks of hair until I rinsed the shampoo out. When I got out of the shower I dried my hair really well then gently brushed my hair from the bottom up and I had to clean the brush out twice because there was so much shed hair. This is really scaring me because I don't have very much hair to start with - its almost shoulder length, thin, fine, and only an i. Did I do something wrong or is this completely normal?

earthnut
April 20th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I like BS/white vinegar as an occasional clarifying wash. I find the key to success is not to use too much baking soda! When I've used too much baking soda in the past, my hair was super dry and frizzy. I use 1 tsp BS in a cup of water, and rinse with a strong (half-n-half) vinegar solution.

I also think BS is too strong for any every day shampoo substitute, I use it no more than once a month.

PeaceTeaRules
March 3rd, 2013, 12:01 PM
Hello all! I was wondering how much I should reduce the BS and ACV from 1 teaspoon to stretch my washes farther? I've been washing my hair once a week and would like to stretch them further... Should I use 1/2 teaspoon instead? :confused:

katiebeans
March 3rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
Hello all! I was wondering how much I should reduce the BS and ACV from 1 teaspoon to stretch my washes farther? I've been washing my hair once a week and would like to stretch them further... Should I use 1/2 teaspoon instead? :confused:

I think that sounds like a reasonable reduction. I started out using 1 tablespoon, and then 1/2 tablespoon, and am currently using 1 teaspoon. Using a 1/2 teaspoon might not clean your hair as much as 1 teaspoon does but in my experiance the hair soon adjusts to it and all is well in a few weeks. Stretching washes generally just requires patience :)

PeaceTeaRules
March 3rd, 2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks!! I had accidentally used 1 tbsp. and it seemed to clean the hair to an extreme... It seemed too harsh to me... Sure it got nice and shiny and clean but, just too harsh... I wonder if it will take more than a month? I'd been trying to get my hair to slip back into WO again after I tried NW/SO and well... here I am. Thanks for the advice!!

Had anyone else got their washings down to once every two weeks? Just curious. :grin:

katiebeans
March 3rd, 2013, 05:51 PM
If your goal is WO, you can definately try a BS/ACV rinse once or twice a month and WO in between as needed :)

I am able to cut my washes down to once a week, but sometimes wash twice a week if I have plans for the weekend and want to look nice. I'm sure I could stretch it out to once every two weeks if I was persistant. I plan on trying this out over the summer after I am done with classes this semester. I won't really have any reason for my hair to look presentable over that time :P Let us know how it goes, PeaceTeaRules.

PeaceTeaRules
March 6th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I hate to say this, but I'd need to postpone my results for washing once or twice a month for another month... When I can actually do it right.

Here's a little backstory to why I said that. I had washed my hair yesterday because I needed to (with BS/ACV). But tonight, I had went to see a relative whom is a smoker and I couldn't help washing it again. :angry:

So, my scalp is going to hate me... thankfully my hair is APL and not insanely long yet. My question is, how am I going to recover from this? Just go about my time washing once to twice a month and wait until my scalp stops screaming at me? Had anyone had to deal with the scent of cigarette smoke? If so, how did you get it out without washing your hair?

Sorry for kind of ranty post... :flowers:

katiebeans
March 8th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Don't fret, I am sure your scalp will forgive you :) Like I mentioned earlier, you can always do WO washes in between your BS/ACV washes. I have never had to deal with cigarette smoke, but I would think that a WO wash would eliminate the odor. You can also try the addition of essential oils in a spray bottle to make your hair smell nice.

PeaceTeaRules
March 31st, 2013, 04:44 AM
Hello all!!

I've been trying to wash my hair every two weeks... But unfortunately, my hair hadn't quite adjusted to this yet... It's kind of greasy at the top of it... The hair in my siggy pic looks quite nice, although that was after a mishap when I used 1 tbsp of BS and I've been trying to ween my scalp off of that. So I've been using 1 teaspoon. The top of my hair is darker than the length but it does feel nice. I guess after two days of washing the oil kind of comes back a bit... Of course that's how it goes.

Though by washing every two weeks by then my hair is totally covered in sebum, I do this to try and prevent dryness with the method. Could the darkness have to do with the sebum re'coating the hair again or is it excess? Because I've read elsewhere that BS/ACV doesn't strip the sebum away; but it seems to do that to me... It doesn't seem excess though because my scalp doesn't cling to my head and doesn't string into strands when combed. It's a uniform sheet of hair with some cleavage thanks to my part line...

Ah well... I hope this post makes sense to someone... (I blame ADHD...) I'm not going to worry about the scalp hair because I don't think it's greasy... I'm kind of excited though because like a week before wash day, my hair is really easy to comb. Is it because the sebum acts to help the comb slide through my tresses? Eh... I don't know but at least I've stopped caring what people think... Greasy or not... It moist-en's and moisturizes the hair. So I don't care... I just wonder "when" I'll be able to see my hair look like the siggy pic while using less BS.

Happy Sunday!!

Topaz
May 14th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I just started using BS/WV on Sunday 05-06 and had my second BS/WV wash one week later on Sunday 05-12-13. So far so good. I started off using 1 teaspoon of BS in 1 cup of distilled water, and 1 teaspoon of WV in 1 cup of distilled water. I guess I was lucky because this initial 'guesstimate' on the amounts seems to work OK for me. I have noticed that my hair now gets a little limp looking a day or two before my week is up, whereas with my Toadstool shampoo/conditioner or other shampoo/conditioner, my hair was fine right up to the next washday; so no real transition period for me, at least not so far. However, flyaways and frizz vanished from my life after that first cleansing, so I'm not complaining about a little limpness right before wash day. Plus I have noticed that my hair feels denser and a little heavier --- I assume that is the nice healthy sebum now coating the individual hair strands? Even my ponytail circumference feels a teensy bit thicker. I have a vague plan of eventually moving into WO washing, but one thing at a time. Right now this BS/WV method is working super for me, and I am very pleased :)

Tootsie
July 8th, 2013, 11:51 AM
I have been BS/ACV for almost 8 months. It took FOREVER for my hair to adjust but I pushed onward lol. My hair has never looked better. I used Wen for years and lived with frizzy hair (guess my hair hates cones) then I moved on to Morrocco Method...less frizzy but never clean looking. Then to shampoo bars and Toadstool shampoo...better but not perfect. Now I make up 1/2 T. Baking soda with distilled water in a color application bottle that holds 8 oz and then in a 16 oz bottle I fill 1/4 with ACV and the rest with distilled water and one drop of lime EO (yum). I do this at least 24 hours before my shower so it really just becomes uber soft water. This lasts me two washes which now is over a week! My hair is less frizzy than it has ever been. I do still use Toadstools leave in and Nightblooming's panacea and oil.