PDA

View Full Version : tame the frizz, oil or cream

Yoanna
November 2nd, 2011, 11:56 PM
I will be doing my own hair from now on, and I'm laying off from heat appliances. How should I go about taming frizz in coarse thick hair, with out heat should I use a natural oil or cream of some sought, and if I use oil how do I use it without my hair getting greasy or sticky, or if I use commercial cream which should I use that won't weigh down my hair something that will actually moisturise my hair and not just coat it.

julliams
November 3rd, 2011, 03:20 AM
Mine is more medium coarse and I'm only a 2b/2c but I've had some experience in this so I thought I'd reply.

Firstly you have to get to know your natural texture - and then you need to learn to love it!!! I recommend clarifying your hair with a clarifying shampoo, soaking your hair in conditioner ( you can leave it on for a minute or up to an hour if you like) and then rinse in cold water.

I usually squeeze my hair a little to get the bulk of the water out and then put it up in a towel for about 5 minutes.

Then I let it down and comb through with a wide tooth comb but this is because I have waves. If your hair is 4b you might like to do this when you have the conditioner in it.

Then if I'm using a leave in, I apply it and kind of scrunch it in. You can use gel, or any kind of leave in cream that you like. Then after you have scrunched to bring out the waves, leave your hair alone totally and completely until it is dry

Depending on the weather you may find that your canopy frizzes a little. When my hair is almost totally dry or even when it is just dry, I take it and put it in a bun. I find that this leaves my hair frizz free and I even get some nice bun curls from it if I've done it right (worked the ends in nicely).

Any kind of clear gel will work well but for me personally I use Giovanni Direct Leave in Conditioner.

The BEST leave in I have found is Nightblooming Panacea which you can get on etsy. It's a paste/cream consistency and is made with oils so a little goes a long way. I personally use this when I take my bun down or when my hair is dry. It melts into my hair, defines my waves and makes it smell gorgeous.

It might take a while for you to learn to love your texture because it is going to feel totally different without the heat straightening. The bonus is that it's going to shine now on it's own - without any kind of silicone leave in. Curly/wavy hair is designed to shine when it's curly/wavy.

Hope this helps a little.

Yoanna
November 3rd, 2011, 03:32 AM
Thank you, ill try that, but I am very anxious about my hair with out heat. Its surely going to be a learning experience, but how do you minimise breakage when you wet combing?

DancingQueen
November 3rd, 2011, 03:34 AM
Oil works best for me, apply at night, and was out the next morning. Let air dry. :) But my hair is not as curly as yours, so I don't know.

Yoanna
November 3rd, 2011, 03:40 AM
I have textured hair, relaxed and curly

julliams
November 3rd, 2011, 03:43 AM
Make sure your comb is very wide toothed and go slow and gentle starting at the bottom (ends). Now others with 4b hair might be able to tell you whether this will be ok for your hairtype. For me it works fine, but with yours I would suggest slathering it with conditioner first.

I'm hoping I have not given you the wrong advise so probably best to check the wet combing with other 4b curlies.

Amber_Maiden
November 3rd, 2011, 06:44 AM
Personally, to tame frizz I'd use cream...