PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else like this after a trim?

Aerith
November 2nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
I got my hair trimmed one inch today with very slight angles on the side to get rid of any front damage (about a half inch shorter than the rest) to have a nice very straight hemline because since it's been well over a year since I'd last had it done (July 2010 I think). Even though my hair still almost reaches my fingertips and I can sit down on it I keep thinking things like "my hair feels so short now" or "maybe I shouldn't have gotten that trim" or "maybe I should have went with just half an inch" even though I know it will benefit me when I stop thinking like this. It's already less tangly and I love how even it is now. Yet, I still mourn one single inch of hair, haha! :shake: It's so silly. I trust my hairdresser and looked on the floor afterwards and only about one inch was taken off for sure.

I wish I did get a half an inch taken off instead of an inch though, because I forgot that hair shrinks a little when dry. So maybe that is more like 1.5 inches? I think I am not quite at fingertip/mid thigh anymore but at the end of classic again. It's so hard to wait for hair to grow isn't it especially those of us who like to have our hemline very straight isn't it!?

At the very least, I can look at it this way: my ends are much healthier and thicker now and I'll treat myself to a hot oil treatment or conditioning treatment and will continue my hair growth journey with healthier looking hair than I had before. :) So does anybody think "it's sooo short now!!" and feel down for a week or two after getting only an inch cut off or is that just me? :p

jacqueline101
November 2nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
I have but its been a while and its always stayed that way. I have a fairy tail type of hair it grows angled for some reason.

Amber_Maiden
November 2nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Yep! I had 4 in taken off (stupid hairdresser. I asked for a Dusting!). And I freaked out quite badly about it... I still think it's short to be honest, but it makes me feel better to know I'm still at waist... just a bit behind sched for my next goal of hip, but that's ok.

1in grows in 2 months at the most. It will be ok.

spidermom
November 2nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
I used to, I think because I was afraid that my hair would never get to my goal length (classic). When I got there, the ends were destroyed, and I had it cut back 7 inches, which didn't bother me at all, although it felt a little weird to no longer feel my hair at my thighs when I rinsed it under the shower head. I've cut back an inch or so a couple of times since then, and meh - my hair is long. A little longer or shorter doesn't make much difference.

owlathena
November 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
I freak out after even the smallest trim. I measure often. Obsessively often. So any loss of length makes me really sad. But even though its sad, little trims are totally worth it to clean up and even out your hemline. It will be back before you know it, and look better than ever!

longhairedwolf
November 2nd, 2011, 09:10 PM
I think you did the right thing - you can't underestimate the value of healthy ends. Also, if this helps in any way, my hair is chin length. Your hair is still SUPER long by my standards. :)

beckishness
November 2nd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Yep! I had 4 in taken off (stupid hairdresser. I asked for a Dusting!). And I freaked out quite badly about it... I still think it's short to be honest, but it makes me feel better to know I'm still at waist... just a bit behind sched for my next goal of hip, but that's ok.

Every time I go to a new hair dresser I feel like they get all excited over how long my hair is, and they go cut crazy - no matter how specific I am with how much I want "trimmed." I'm sorry that this happened to you, and I have had similar situations happen to me as well.

Even though there is nothing that I can do about it, I try to rationalize by saying that the hair dresser took off some damaged hair or what not....

julliams
November 2nd, 2011, 09:36 PM
Honestly, no. I never feel that way - even if I know a little more than I asked for is gone. It's a decision you made - it's done and there is nothing you can do about it. Sounds blunt, I know but it's true. Sure you can spend time worrying about it but do you want to spend your time doing that? I'm a worrier myself so I know alot about these kinds of feelings after an event. I've personally had to learn to re-train my reactions to events and not give in to worrying as it does come naturally to me.

What you can do is change what happens next time and either not trim at a salon or trim yourself so you know exactly how much is gone etc, or chose to not trim at all.

I'm sure if you took a photo of yourself from the back it would reassure you that it's all there, looks great and remind yourself that it was mostly frayed or dry ends that are missing.

Perhaps this feeling will pass quickly if you can focus your thoughts on something you really enjoy.

Aerith
November 3rd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks everyone! I already feel a lot better this morning and I'm glad I'm not the only one. ;) I think I sort of feel the same way Spidermom did: I think it would help if I got to my goal of knee to see if I can actually GET there and then I can cut off the damaged ends (maybe 3-5 inches) and start growing again. I feel like I'm getting nowhere, though by my pictures I can tell that's not true. I should learn how to measure and take pictures more often. :)

racrane
November 3rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
I'm not the only one, either. It helped staying with a stylist I liked because I trust her and she's honest with me. She reaffirms me that it was the right choice. But I mourn the loss of my hair, that's for sure.