PDA

View Full Version : Months and months of growth ruined today :(

paleocurl
November 2nd, 2011, 01:50 AM
Why can't some stylists simply take a moment and make sure they understand what their client wants? I've been patiently growing out too-short side layers for ages now and went to my regular salon today to get a trim. My usual stylist was unavailable, but had recommended a coworker. I explained to her that I only wanted an inch cut off the back layers, but not to cut the front at all. All was well until she suddenly combed my hair up and lopped off a chunk from the front hair before I realized what she was doing. I protested immediately and after arguing with me for several minutes she said that I hadn't explained what I wanted clearly enough.

Seriously, I told her at least three times that the sides were too short and that I wanted them to be left alone. To make matters worse, the way she cut the front hair lopped off about two inches in a straight line, making it look like a very long mullet on one side. Every time I look at it I want to cry. I can't believe I even tipped her before I left, but at that time I didn't realize how awful it looks. From the back it looks like a great big chunk of hair is missing, even though she supposedly evened out the two sides.

Sadly, my only options are to simply live with it until I can eventually cut it again or lose several more inches getting it all evened out now. How I wish I had waited for my regular stylist. I can count on one hand the number of reliable stylists I've had in 41 years so you'd think I'd have learned by now. Sigh.

woolyleprechaun
November 2nd, 2011, 02:05 AM
oooh! Nasty! Horrid woman :(

Tizzles
November 2nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
I guarantee she got lost in the cut and lost her guideline and just started going all over the place. When I first went into hair school, I did this same exact thing (losing my guideline) on the first mannequin I cut on. I take extra special care now to be super meticulous and always make sure I don't lose my guide when cutting. My OCD about it has gotten me some really good tips and happy clients. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, I can't believe she actually argued with you and wanted to blame her mistake on you. Long dead are the days of the customer is always right. :(

Amber_Maiden
November 2nd, 2011, 10:04 AM
:grouphug: OMG. I'm so sorry that happened to you. What a nasty woman. I hope you didn't pay for that cut.

MsBubbles
November 2nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
Have you ever tried a self-trim? (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/)

I don't trust anybody else to trim my hair. I had way too many experiences like yours in the past. Never again!

PinkyCat
November 2nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
Ugh, I'm so sorry paleocurl. Why are layers something that is so difficult for stylists to understand?

I've learned how to self-trim perfectly and will never go to a salon for a cut again. That might be something for you to consider too. Then you are always in control of what and how much gets trimmed.

PinkyCat
November 2nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
Have you ever tried a self-trim? (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/)

I don't trust anybody else to trim my hair. I had way too many experiences like yours in the past. Never again!

YES- this!

bna_rapunzel
November 2nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
:( I'm sorry this happened... I haven't set foot in a salon in over 4 years because of this reason. I hope it grows back quickly. *hugs*

swearnsue
November 2nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
It wasn't your fault, it's the stylist's job to find out what you want and to remember and focus on you and your wants during the cut. It sounds like her mind wandered. OCD is highly under-rated!

Amiblue
November 2nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
I feel for you. :( I have had it happen more times than I can count and it sucks! I make it though by reminding myself it WILL grow back! It Will grow back. (Now, if only I had a pair of ruby slippers to loan you).

moxamoll
November 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
Back when I had a pixie cut, I went into a cheap salon for a trim. It all went fine until she picked up the electric razor to clean up the hair on my nape. Someone asked her a question and she turned away to answer it. When she turned back, she had the trimmers in hand, so she just fired them up and started up the back of my head. ACK! There was no way to disguise that, so I just had her take it all off - I looked like a cancer patient or GI Jane until it started to grow back. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, I got a free haircut and my hair was brand new and gorgeous!

The good news about hair is that, slow or fast, it will grow back. Hang in there!

Shelly
November 2nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
I'm so sorry. If you were closer to me, I would trim it for you. I also recommend self trimming. I've been using Feye's method for about 10 to 12 years now. If there's ever a reason I couldn't do it myself anymore, I would just have justgreen or her stylist do it for me. They are the only 2 people I would trust to do it for me. I'll be sending extremely rapid growth vibes your way so you can have the hair you want as soon as possible.

CarpeDM
November 2nd, 2011, 11:37 AM
I'm sorry :( that is so stinky!

rbooh
November 2nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
:mad: ARGH!

I am so sorry you have to go through this. This is exactly the reason why I decided on no more trims.

In my experience stylists just do what they want or only do a half hearted attempt at what you want. At best you are viewed as a "difficult" customer because you are specific about what you want.

paleocurl
November 2nd, 2011, 12:05 PM
I know it's just hair and there are so many people out there with real problems, but I really, really appreciate all your kind comments and understanding. Hugs to you all!! And yes, I think I really just need to learn how to trim my own hair going forward.

In the meantime, I've booked a corrective cut with the manager of the salon for this evening, which basically means I'll have to sacrifice several inches and all the progress I've made on growing out the sides. I can't leave it the way it is though, as the missing chunk is really obvious. I assume I won't have to pay for it, but even if they refunded all my money from last night as well, it obviously still wouldn't bring the hair back :(

heidi w.
November 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately difficult lesson. Never allow a substitute stylists when you've developed a rapport with an understanding and otherwise good or excellent stylist cut your hair. Always work with someone who gets your goals and understands you.

I've had this happen. I feel for you.

heidi w.

Macaroni
November 2nd, 2011, 12:12 PM
What a horrible experience! She's a dope for not listening and a bigger dope for arguing about it.

Keep an eagle eye on the manager as he/she corrects the first ones mistake.

Hugs.

paleocurl
November 2nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
I guarantee she got lost in the cut and lost her guideline and just started going all over the place. When I first went into hair school, I did this same exact thing (losing my guideline) on the first mannequin I cut on. I take extra special care now to be super meticulous and always make sure I don't lose my guide when cutting. My OCD about it has gotten me some really good tips and happy clients. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, I can't believe she actually argued with you and wanted to blame her mistake on you. Long dead are the days of the customer is always right. :(

Tizzles, I suspect your explanation is spot on. The stylist just suddenly grabbed the hair next to my face, combed it up and snipped off two inches straight across, right in the middle of what seemed to be a normal layering process in the back. Even if she was following her training as she claimed, it still wouldn't account for the abrupt, blunt edge that looks like something took a big bite out of my hair. Additonally, some of the hair deeper in is even shorter than the hair right next to my face, giving me this weird, angled gap right next to my face on the left. Bizarre.

paleocurl
November 2nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
I'm so sorry. If you were closer to me, I would trim it for you. I also recommend self trimming. I've been using Feye's method for about 10 to 12 years now. If there's ever a reason I couldn't do it myself anymore, I would just have justgreen or her stylist do it for me. They are the only 2 people I would trust to do it for me. I'll be sending extremely rapid growth vibes your way so you can have the hair you want as soon as possible.

You're so sweet. Thank you.

paleocurl
November 2nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
Unfortunately difficult lesson. Never allow a substitute stylists when you've developed a rapport with an understanding and otherwise good or excellent stylist cut your hair. Always work with someone who gets your goals and understands you.

I've had this happen. I feel for you.

heidi w.

Sadly you are absolutely correct. At least I did have a few inches to play with, although now I'll be back to shoulder blades after being almost at mid back. The hair was really healthy virgin stuff, so I can't even console myself that damage had been removed. On the plus side, hair does eventually grow back and shorter hair is less work, right?

moon2dove
November 2nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Oh maa gaaad..! That is so terrible!!.. So sorry you had such a bad experience. What an evil stylist. She obviously needs hearing aids and some lessons in customer care. :(

lolot
November 2nd, 2011, 12:52 PM
that is terrible, but im sure its doesnt look that bad, and it will grow, you should wait a bit and i dont think you have to even it now

Bonkers57
November 2nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Oh no! How awful! I've had that experience too and I know that a good stylist is like gold. I drive across town to see mine. I hope self-trimming works for you :)

When you see the manager, will you file a complaint about the stylist?

I know it's just hair and there are so many people out there with real problems, but I really, really appreciate all your kind comments and understanding. Hugs to you all!! And yes, I think I really just need to learn how to trim my own hair going forward.

In the meantime, I've booked a corrective cut with the manager of the salon for this evening, which basically means I'll have to sacrifice several inches and all the progress I've made on growing out the sides. I can't leave it the way it is though, as the missing chunk is really obvious. I assume I won't have to pay for it, but even if they refunded all my money from last night as well, it obviously still wouldn't bring the hair back :(

jojo
November 2nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
aww shucks i hate threads like this. This happened to me in 2005, I lost roughly 28"! I was heart broken and totally understand how upsetting this is.

I self trim these days and would advise you to do the same, i refused to trim until my hair went up without clips.

Yes its only hair but its also our identity, just concentrate on keeping it healthy and even try a year without trims. You will get the lost lengths back in no time.

Rocket22
November 2nd, 2011, 01:49 PM
I'm soo sorry this has happened. I totally know where you are coming from my sides are much shorter as well and don't know why stylist always seem to do that? I have since stopped going to them. Maybe you can look into self trims for down the road and until then just work with it somehow.

Sunsailing
November 2nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
In the meantime, I've booked a corrective cut with the manager of the salon for this evening, which basically means I'll have to sacrifice several inches and all the progress I've made on growing out the sides. (

Is the manager also the trusted stylist that you mentioned? If not, please reconsider booking with the stylist that you already have experience with and trust.
Just because a stylist happens to be a manager does not mean that they are the most talented stylist at the salon.

Go with the stylist you already know will do a great job.

lizdini
November 2nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
That's awful!

paleocurl
November 2nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Unfortunately the story gets even worse. I left several messages for the manager of the salon today so I could establish whether my regular stylist could do the correction instead. None of my calls were returned even though the manager had several openings in her schedule according to the receptionist.

Eventually I just went in for the booked appointment, where I was actually made to wait several minutes past the scheduled time while the manager finished her coffee. I was then taken to her station where I showed her the triangular gap in my hair. She kept pulling hair from the back into the open area to make it look like there were layers underneath. Trust me when I say...there is no hair there!

She repeatedly told me she was a master stylist and that she couldn't see a problem, basically insisting that I was mistaken. Even my husband who is usually completely oblivious to stuff like this, had asked me this morning what was up with my hair, so believe me when I say it's pretty obvious. At one point my 5yo who was sitting in the chair next to me, got so frustrated on my behalf he tried to show the manager where the gap was himself. At that moment I realized it was pointless continuing and told her I would get it fixed elsewhere and to just give me a refund.

She made me fill in a detailed form releasing them from liability and then very reluctantly gave me my money back. Her whole attitude was that I was totally inconveniencing her and at no point in time did she offer any form of apology that I wasn't happy with the service I'd received.

Sadly, this is the salon where our whole family has been going since my son got his first hair cut more than five years ago from our regular stylist that we love. The manager is new however and unfortunately we will be moving on as I refuse to hand over more money to a place that offers such poor customer service. Perhaps our stylist will still be willing to work something out with us independently.

paleocurl
November 2nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
I also want to mention, at no point was I rude to anyone, nor did I accuse the stylist of incompetence in any way. I called the problem a misunderstanding until it became obvious that I needed to be more specific. Not that it made any difference in the end. Sigh.

Bonkers57
November 2nd, 2011, 08:33 PM
So much for complaining to the manager. Guess she doesn't care about customer loyalty, huh? I don't think that place will be doing so well for much longer. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the story gets even worse. I left several messages for the manager of the salon today so I could establish whether my regular stylist could do the correction instead. None of my calls were returned even though the manager had several openings in her schedule according to the receptionist.

Eventually I just went in for the booked appointment, where I was actually made to wait several minutes past the scheduled time while the manager finished her coffee. I was then taken to her station where I showed her the triangular gap in my hair. She kept pulling hair from the back into the open area to make it look like there were layers underneath. Trust me when I say...there is no hair there!

She repeatedly told me she was a master stylist and that she couldn't see a problem, basically insisting that I was mistaken. Even my husband who is usually completely oblivious to stuff like this, had asked me this morning what was up with my hair, so believe me when I say it's pretty obvious. At one point my 5yo who was sitting in the chair next to me, got so frustrated on my behalf he tried to show the manager where the gap was himself. At that moment I realized it was pointless continuing and told her I would get it fixed elsewhere and to just give me a refund.

She made me fill in a detailed form releasing them from liability and then very reluctantly gave me my money back. Her whole attitude was that I was totally inconveniencing her and at no point in time did she offer any form of apology that I wasn't happy with the service I'd received.

Sadly, this is the salon where our whole family has been going since my son got his first hair cut more than five years ago from our regular stylist that we love. The manager is new however and unfortunately we will be moving on as I refuse to hand over more money to a place that offers such poor customer service. Perhaps our stylist will still be willing to work something out with us independently.

MrsGuther
November 2nd, 2011, 08:43 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you! :( Sending hugs your way!

KwaveT
November 2nd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Sorry about your haircut. I hate when this happens to others. There is too much of this kind of horror cuts going on. Stylist doesn't listen or they get mindless and forget what they are doing. I am not getting anymore myself until I start to see the first sign of split ends.

Fairlight63
November 2nd, 2011, 08:55 PM
So sorry that that happened to you. I also don't trust hair salons. I don't know how many times when I used to go to the salon that I would come home & have to redo it.
I have been self trimming my hair all of the time now. It is not hard to learn how to trim it yourself, I trust no one else to cut my hair!
Is it long enough now to put it up in some kind of twist or bun & forget about it until you need to trim it? that is what I would do.

longhairedwolf
November 2nd, 2011, 09:07 PM
I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you. It will grow back, but I know it sucks right now. You have my sympathy!

julliams
November 2nd, 2011, 09:16 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Deep breath - it will be ok. I know you did say you were explicit about what you wanted but it seems like she was not listening or was thinking about something else.

I've said things like "now I'm going to be really clear about what I would like because I go as far as measuring my hair, so I'll know exactly how much has been cut." and "it's very important to me that you don't cut (whatever amount or part of your hair)........ so please understand exactly what I would like" and "so an inch is exactly this much" and show with your fingers. I also tell them my goals and how long it's taken me to get there and that I don't want to lose months of growth today. Stuff like that. I know I come across as a luney but at the end of the day, I'm the one who has to go home with it so I'd rather they thought that, than give me exactly what I don't want.

Whilst I haven't had your exact experience, I did make myself perfectly clear about what I wanted from a stylist who did exactly that, only I had been going on and on about how I don't use heat on my hair etc. She didn't think to herself "now perhaps she doesn't want me to use heat on her hair either" but she didn't and plugged in the straightener. I figured it was a once in a year thing so I went with it but I should have reminded her at that point. Then she showed me the results and asked "did you want some face framing layers?" I almost yelled "NO" and I think she was shocked.

I think that perhaps you should ring the salon and let them know that you are unhappy with the cut. They know about the front cut now, but perhaps they need to hear about the chunk that is missing. If enough people complain about the one stylist, perhaps they will get her re-trained or find something else for her to do whilst she works on her skills.

Metallia
November 3rd, 2011, 07:39 AM
I'm so sorry, Paleocurl. I know how it feels to get a cut like that- there's a trust broken when you give your hair into the care of a stylist and they don't pay attention to your needs at all. And I can't believe the customer service overall you received at that salon! At the very least you should have had an apology.

paleocurl
November 3rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Very interesting discussion with our regular stylist this morning. I spoke with her privately on her cell and apparently there's been a lot of turmoil at the salon since the new manager started there three months ago. I can't say I'm surprised that people are unhappy given her brusque style of communication.

Thankfully our stylist totally understands my position and has offered to come over and fix the botched cut for free on her own time. How considerate is that? She feels really bad about what happened and apologized on behalf of both her coworkers. Her words won't bring the lost hair back, but at least they restored some goodwill on my part.

PixxieStix
November 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
That is wonderful to her paleocurl. You are right, it won't make the hair grow back, but I'm glad you have such a wonderful stylist that you can trust. Come over and fix it on her own time? How amazing is that customer service right there!

Maybe this is the perfect excuse to pamper your hair even more? Or get some scalp massages from your SO if you have one? :D

Tizzles
November 3rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
I also want to mention, at no point was I rude to anyone, nor did I accuse the stylist of incompetence in any way. I called the problem a misunderstanding until it became obvious that I needed to be more specific. Not that it made any difference in the end. Sigh.

Time to find a new salon sweetheart. I am sorry, but you just do not treat any customer this way, even if they are wrong and you are totally right. Customer is first ALWAYS. Your client's pay your booth rent, personal bills and keep you in a job. Word of mouth travels so much faster than any form of advertisement out there. I don't want to be super rude about this "master stylist" (which by the way just means that she's been cutting hair for more than 6 months), but really her entire attitude is horrid and neither her or her business deserve your money.

If she was a real master stylist she would have really examined the cut by sectioning off your hair and looking through each part to find the error. She would have then explained the error, and given you CHOICES of how you wanted to fix it. She should have fully explained each choice and the method she would use. Normally you don't have to be so transparent about every step of a cut to your client, but from experience, I tend to really explain what I do to ladies and even gents with longer hair, because I know the pain of growing it out (more than once), and I know it takes time, determination and the patience of Job to get it to where you most likely had it. Plus, being so open with your clients allows them to trust you, and feel safe in your hands. Not enough cosmetologists do this these days and it's sad. It's not like only certain people can go to hair school and learn how to cut hair, it's not a secret society, and it's open to the public as long as you can pay for the education. So being secretive about your methods of cutting can only have a negative influence on your clientele.

Anyway, I'm babbling, if you were close to Kentucky I'd fix your hair for free, I am really sorry that neither of your appointments were pleasant. Stylist #1 most definitely got lost in the cut, and Stylist #2 sounds just as clueless. *hugs* Here's to hoping for a really rapid growth season <3

RedDevil
November 3rd, 2011, 07:26 PM
I am very sorry this happened to you. I had an awful cut done in july with layers i HATE! You can see just how bad it is in my album. Needless to say i shant be returning to that salon. Maybe you can show us your cut too...

longhairedlady
November 3rd, 2011, 08:36 PM
Im sorry that happened! After a HORRENDOUS haircut from my LICENSED cosmotoligist sister, I havent let anyone touch my hair but myself. If its gonna get effed, its gonna be me doing it!

teal
November 3rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Oh geez. I'd see if your stylist is open to the occasional home visit. Cash in pocket for her with nothing off the top to the salon. Or follow her if she decides to leave, since I can't imagine a good stylist wanting to stick around a salon that is incompetently managed.

CavySong
November 3rd, 2011, 09:42 PM
As much as I understand that getting defensive and arguing is a natural reaction to someone being upset with you, I wish it was part of training in lots of areas to memorize " the customer is always right."

You deserved an immediate apology and a free cut. I came here to LHC not that long ago because of a very similar experience. I lost from waist to above the bust length in a few short snips because just a thumb length was too hard for the stylist to understand.

There is the plus that 99.9% of my split ends are gone, it drove me to the internet for help, and I found LHC. That in turn led me to the local stylist that specializes in long hair. She has classic length hair herself and is a real blessing. See my album for the effects of her talents.

paleocurl
November 3rd, 2011, 11:51 PM
Time to find a new salon sweetheart. I am sorry, but you just do not treat any customer this way, even if they are wrong and you are totally right. Customer is first ALWAYS. Your client's pay your booth rent, personal bills and keep you in a job. Word of mouth travels so much faster than any form of advertisement out there. I don't want to be super rude about this "master stylist" (which by the way just means that she's been cutting hair for more than 6 months), but really her entire attitude is horrid and neither her or her business deserve your money.

If she was a real master stylist she would have really examined the cut by sectioning off your hair and looking through each part to find the error. She would have then explained the error, and given you CHOICES of how you wanted to fix it. She should have fully explained each choice and the method she would use. Normally you don't have to be so transparent about every step of a cut to your client, but from experience, I tend to really explain what I do to ladies and even gents with longer hair, because I know the pain of growing it out (more than once), and I know it takes time, determination and the patience of Job to get it to where you most likely had it. Plus, being so open with your clients allows them to trust you, and feel safe in your hands. Not enough cosmetologists do this these days and it's sad. It's not like only certain people can go to hair school and learn how to cut hair, it's not a secret society, and it's open to the public as long as you can pay for the education. So being secretive about your methods of cutting can only have a negative influence on your clientele.

Anyway, I'm babbling, if you were close to Kentucky I'd fix your hair for free, I am really sorry that neither of your appointments were pleasant. Stylist #1 most definitely got lost in the cut, and Stylist #2 sounds just as clueless. *hugs* Here's to hoping for a really rapid growth season <3

Wow, I can't believe how many haircut horror stories I'm reading! I also wish we lived closer Tizzles. You sound like an awesome stylist and I really appreciate all your clarity on this bizarre situation.

paleocurl
November 4th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks again to everyone for your kind words. Thank goodness we have this forum where we can safely vent our hair frustrations and get such great advice from folks who actually know what they're talking about.

Our very kind stylist came over for dinner tonight and pretty much did everything positive Tizzles described in her earlier post. She basically ended up cutting my hair into a wide V shape, which of course is what I was trying to get away from, but it did save much of the length and made the missing chunk way less noticeable.

All in all it doesn't look too bad and even though I now have way more layers than I'd like, I can live with it while it all grows out again. Thankfully I normally get about 0.7 inches a month so hopefully it won't be too much of an eternity. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture of the original disaster, but I'll post some pics of the corrected cut tomorrow. It's a bit late here already and I need to get to bed. Huge hugs to you all!

paleocurl
November 4th, 2011, 12:08 AM
aww shucks i hate threads like this. This happened to me in 2005, I lost roughly 28"! I was heart broken and totally understand how upsetting this is.

I self trim these days and would advise you to do the same, i refused to trim until my hair went up without clips.

Yes its only hair but its also our identity, just concentrate on keeping it healthy and even try a year without trims. You will get the lost lengths back in no time.

Jojo, I can't even imagine what losing 28" must feel like. Anyway, reading your new siggy made me laugh out loud. After all the drama you and I went through to get our henna out I was wondering how long it would be before one of us messed with our color again. :D I do have to add however, I love your chocolate locks and I think it really suits you. I'm sticking to my diluted henna roots-only apps for now, but we have many years yet to play...

dulce
November 4th, 2011, 05:29 PM
That is sad it happened,it has happened to me and also to others ,judging on the number of times it has been mentioned.Could you learn to cut your hair at home using fey's method or a creaclip using a trusted family member?Is there a long hair salon in your area?

coffinhert
November 4th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I would go and ask for a full refund... especially if you stopped her in the middle of the cut to tell her she had done what you already told her not to do. That really sucks, I'm sorry. It will grow back eventually :( but keep the scissors away for as long as you can stand. And definitely when you feel the need to trim, just do the tiniest microtrim.

marioma
November 5th, 2011, 05:26 AM
i've experienced a bad salon cut to , the last time i went for a cut i told the stylist i only want a 1 inch trim with no layers , i found out later , he gave me a very short top layer that didn't reach my shoulder and the underneath layer is at arm pit length ! which is horrible and make my curly hair so puffy and unmageable , i ll never cut my hair at a salon again :S

paleocurl
November 6th, 2011, 05:03 PM
As promised, here are some pics of how my hair looks at present. See if you can spot the missing chunk. Keep in mind, this is after a corrective cut - it looked even more uneven before.

Comparing the two sides:
http://images57.fotki.com/v1354/photos/5/1444635/10193536/bothlowres-vi.jpg

The missing hair on the left side the salon manager didn't consider a problem:
http://images44.fotki.com/v220/photos/5/1444635/10193536/leftlowres-vi.jpg

How it's supposed to look (right side):
http://images51.fotki.com/v628/photos/5/1444635/10193536/rightlowres-vi.jpg

Oh well, not much I can do now except double up on the hair vitamins and wait. Sigh.

Ayasha1
November 6th, 2011, 05:13 PM
EXACT same thing happened to me i have one giant chop of a layer on my left side of my head by my ear ehen the rest of my layers are chin and lower 0.0

Having curly hair helps mine not to look toooo choppy but you can still tell.

Try partimg and combing your hair in diferrent directions to break it up.

VikingVampChick
November 6th, 2011, 05:17 PM
The manager needs new glasses if she didn't think that was an issue.

That being said, your hair is absolutely beautiful! I love the red & the curls :)

Bonkers57
November 6th, 2011, 05:25 PM
You're lucky that you have curly hair - on straight hair the mistake would be WAY more obvious! Your hair looks so healthy and shiny. It'll be grown out in no time!

lw8666
November 6th, 2011, 05:28 PM
How awful! I am so sorry. I have been through this experience several times. One of the worst things you can go through if you cherish your hair. I only trust one stylist, my mom, and myself. Too bad you can not turn back time. Feel better!!!

paleocurl
November 6th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the empathy and kind words. Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about all these other disasters that I keep reading about on this thread. I'm wondering whether this reflects a lack of adequate training or whether some stylists are just plain careless. :confused:

In addition to the previous pics, I've now also added one of how my hair currently looks from the back - http://public.fotki.com/paleocurl/hair-cut-disaster-n/. I'd been growing out the sides and originally went in to the salon just to get a little trimmed off the back so the base layer would be the same length on all sides. All of that side growth and then some has now been lost (several inches) and I'm even further back than square one. At least I still have some length in the back and I can hide the missing chunk by wearing it more curly than I prefer or tucked behind my ears. Btw, I tucked my shirt into my bra to show I'm still sort of at BSL, even if it is somewhat choppy, especially on the left.

Rockmoss
November 8th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I was speaking with my stylist who specializes in long hair and he was saying that most stylists cut long hair bad deliberately. Long hair is bad for the industry. If you keep coming back every few months for a cut, then they make money. That's why they say you need a trim every 6 weeks, but it just cuts off all the new length!

BrennalaRosa
November 8th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I was speaking with my stylist who specializes in long hair and he was saying that most stylists cut long hair bad deliberately. Long hair is bad for the industry. If you keep coming back every few months for a cut, then they make money. That's why they say you need a trim every 6 weeks, but it just cuts off all the new length!

:agape: That's barbaric! I mean, admittedly, they have to eat, too, but I'm far more likely to tip well and return often to a stylist who listens to what I want (i.e. leaving it alone if I don't want a trim, ONLY removing the split length, etc.).

BrennalaRosa
November 8th, 2011, 09:01 PM
paleocurl, I am so sorry about your experience and I hope it grows back quickly and soon. If it helps, from the picture I saw, it didn't look too bad to me. It looks presentable, at least and the length will return.

paleocurl
November 8th, 2011, 11:01 PM

Unfortunately, judging by the many negative experiences shared on this forum, I don't doubt there truly are stylists like that out there. Thankfully there are also many wonderful stylists as well who would never deliberately ruin a client's hair.

I discovered a great new stylist at a salon near our home this evening, based on the recommendation of a teacher at my son's school who has the most fabulous long, curly hair. I was just not happy with how choppy my hair still looked even after the corrective cut, so I decided to sacrifice some length so I could have something I can live with for now. The stylist totally listened to what I wanted and did an awesome job getting rid of that darned V in the back. She also blew it out carefully and checked that it was all even before sending me on my way. The cut was rather expensive and my hair is a fair bit shorter, but I feel so much happier it was definitely worth it.

http://images57.fotki.com/v1354/photos/5/1444635/10193536/newcutlowres-vi.jpg

paleocurl
November 8th, 2011, 11:09 PM
paleocurl, I am so sorry about your experience and I hope it grows back quickly and soon. If it helps, from the picture I saw, it didn't look too bad to me. It looks presentable, at least and the length will return.

Thanks so much BrennalaRosa. I feel kind of ridiculous worrying this much about a few inches of keratin, but alas, it is part of who I am.:o

UltraBella
November 9th, 2011, 12:21 AM

Most stylists ???? That is a horrible generalization and seriously rediculous.

spidermom
November 9th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Most stylists ???? That is a horrible generalization and seriously rediculous.

I'd have to agree.

I've walked into salons on a whim many times in my life, and only once did I walk out with something I didn't want. In my experience, most stylists do their best to please you so that you'll come back.

BrennalaRosa
November 9th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks so much BrennalaRosa. I feel kind of ridiculous worrying this much about a few inches of keratin, but alas, it is part of who I am.:o

Nah, on a forum like this, I'd think it'd be perfectly normal.:o