PDA

View Full Version : Discouraged :( THINNIES I NEED YOUR HELP

Doxieee
November 1st, 2011, 09:46 PM
Hello everyone.. I am sad to say I let my discouragement get the best of me and got my hair chopped off to the bottom of my neck. Here's my issue, I have super baby fine/thin hair, when I measured my ponytail circum. I was at 2.75", however then I compared to other LHC members who had similar circum. my ponytail appeared sooooo tiny. I even measured about 5 times to make sure I wasn't getting false numbers. I cut 6 inches off, got bangs and layers. As much as I'd love to have long hair, I feel that its pointless because it'll look soo thin, my ponytail is so sad :( I'd like to try and grow my bangs out, then even out all my layers, then grow from there.. can any thinnies out there relate? :(

Tizzles
November 1st, 2011, 10:02 PM
Absolutely. My solution was always just chop my hair shorter when I felt like it was getting thinner, but that's always the easy way out, at least it was for me. I didn't really have a plan for my hair until I got to the root of my problem. My hair had been thinning for years, I had absolutely no idea why. I had bloodwork done once a year, and I thought my doctor was great, except it took me going to a brand new primary care physician to find out that I had developed diabetes. During all this time that my doctor was wasting my time, because he didn't care to really read my bloodwork reports, my hair was thinning..and thinning.. and yea you get the idea. So I chopped it off, as short as you are saying yours is, and I have regretted it ever since, I just couldn't do anything with it being so thin. My hair looked so shaggy and miserable. Now I am on the long drawn out awkward journey of repairing my hair, taking care of my body and trying to grow it out again.

I don't even have long enough hair to have even a ponystub, but I am loving the way it feels now that all the dead was cut off. In the end, I believe my hair will be healthier because I don't really use heat tools on it anymore and I take care of it much better now by using hair oils and amla and shikakai powders. My plan for regrowth to get me through the awkward stages, is just to have a dusting when I absolutely can't wait any longer, try growing it out in layers a bit, and taking care of the split ends around my front one snip at a time ( I don't really get split ends in the back, just because I really don't mess with the back much, plus it's the shortest part of my hair cut). If growing it out in layers doesn't work, I'll cross that bridge when I get there and possibly have the length evened out and move forward from there.

It's all really just a waiting game, to keep myself from doing a super chop again around the dreaded shoulder area, I'm just going to keep it up and stare at pictures of beautiful long hair and keep telling myself it's worth it in the end.

Lisa R
November 2nd, 2011, 12:17 AM
Hello!! I can understand your frustrations. If your pony tail circumference is 2.75 that is not thin! My pony tail circumference is only 2inches. Yes, we have thinner hair but it can still look beautiful long if we take care of it and our nutrition. I find that what I see in the mirror is not what other people see and what it looks like on camera. For some reason it always looks thinner and worse in the mirror. I know of other LHC'ers that noticed their hair looked shorter or thinner in the mirror but if they saw their hair in a pic it looked much better than what they thought!

My hair was really short only a couple of years ago. I actually didn't decide to start growing my hair long until jan/feb last year. I am heading for waistish length. I was at bra strap length recently but took 1 1/2 inches off. It made a huge difference in feel and look of my hair. When I reach a bit longer I will trim and maintain as I have lots of re-growth about shoulder length from losing tonns of my hair after having a baby.

I wish you all the best with your hair growing journey:)

Delila
November 2nd, 2011, 10:46 AM
My pony tail circumference seems to be about the same as yours, and unless I remember it wrong, that's a ii, not a i. Not as thin as you might think, when you consider that ii is an average thickness.

I'm on the thin side of ii, but I'm definitely there, not a iii. (which is why I list my type as i/ii, no way am I a iii.)

Sure, it SEEMS wimpy, but one thing I try to take into account is that with my hair type, each individual strand seems so very tiny. My hair squishes down to just about nothing, but that apparently doesn't mean much. If you read around on the forum, this happens for a lot of people who clearly have a lot more hair than me.

If I had thicker strands, my braid would be fatter. I wouldn't have a larger number of strands, but I'd have a bigger number for pony circumference. Semantics, but it does help me keep from freaking out.

At some point, I resolved to just keep growing, to do microtrims, not chops.

Lately my challenge has been to stick to this plan even though my hemline has some wear and tear. It was a big help that just yesterday, my dad commented that the thickness of my hair seems to be moving down the length. He's usually oblivious to that kind of nuance, so the fact that HE noticed has got to mean that I'm not just imagining things.

With ultrafine hair, I find that the main challenge for me is avoiding mechanical damage, whether it's from elastic bands, rubbing on clothing or furniture, or even sitting on the hemline.

Another challenge years back was learning that other people (IRL) just don't understand fine hair. They make critical remarks, tell you that you 'must' wear bangs, or get layers, or wear it short, but those styles just aren't something I want.

Learning to figure out what I really can achieve with gentle cleansing, gentle handling and regular gentle maintenance has been a lot of fun.

If it makes you any more hopeful for your own hair, I'll just mention that this past August, I actually had moments when I was hot and sweaty and actually wondered if I had TOO MUCH HAIR. Pretty much the first time ever, kind of a neat experience, even if I was a bit uncomfortable.

CarpeDM
November 2nd, 2011, 11:10 AM
I can totally relate. Someone on here once said something that stuck with me "you can have thin short hair or thin long hair, either way it will be thin". So when I get discouraged I think about that and how cutting it will not make it any thicker or change it. 2.75 is not very thin so I would not let that discourage you from growing longer hair, there are many LHC members with thinner ponytail circumferences that have beautiful thinner long hair.

Doxieee
November 2nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the support! When I would measure my ponytail, I even told myself that "wow, I'm actually considered 'average' thickness" but for some reason, even seeing pictures of other people with the same circumference measurements, mine always looks smaller :(

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o255/mmyourcute/SAM_0720.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o255/mmyourcute/SAM_0719.jpg

^^^ I tried posting pics (not sure if it'll work), but thats from a year ago, & thats a loose ponytail, its thinner when I wrap the band as many times that it'll allow..

MsBubbles
November 2nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
I used to totally relate. But I had an epiphany with the recent ponytail photo/circumference thread: I couldn't really tell a difference in those photos between a 2.5"er and a 4"er. ALL of the ponytails looked nice, and they all looked rather pinched at the fastening. I decided it was time to quit worrying about my (ii) circumference because in real life and the grand scheme of things, nobody else really notices. I'm sorry you cut your hair off because of that.

The way we worry about the girth of our ponies here reminds me about how men worry about...well, you know.

I hope you can like the hair you have! I'm not quite there yet but I'm trying to relax about it.

FrozenBritannia
November 2nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
<- there is my ponytail. I measure 1.75" so you've got a full inch on me.

The interesting thing about thin hair is that you can still have a lot of it... Meaning thin hairs often have more actual hairs than thick hairs with coarse hair do. The thin ones just compress more. :)

And I'm totally growing mine long. I don't care if it's whispy or whatever, it is going to look thin no matter what I do with it, and at least if it is long I can braid it and do things with it.

I think your hair will look lovely long, don't give up! Enjoy the journey

Rocket22
November 2nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
you know 2.75 is considered normal and completely in the ii range. I as well have very very fine hair so I do know where you are coming from. But I think the layers in your hair is making you feel like the pony is not as thick as the others. I personally don't think fine haired people do to well with the layers. I know all hair dressers want to put us in layers but we just don't have enough hair to chop up half of it and have a decent hemline.

AspenSong
November 2nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
I do understand how you feel - Personally, I'd LOVE to have a ponytail that big around! mine is just BARELY 2" on a good day!
For many years I let that mindset, of not having thick enough hair and other peoples comments on my hair being too fine to grow long, delegate what I did and how I kept my hair. I know it can feel impossible when you feel like you just don't have a lot of hair!
I encourage you to grow it if you want....no one has "perfect" hair and I'm fairly certain that everyone here, thinks someone elses hair here is awesome, and the person they admire probably likes someone elses hair better and so on and so forth!
Don't worry yourself comparing it to others, we're all different and even though it's hard to see in yourself at times, your difference in hair is beautiful in a completely unique way that belongs to YOU. :) I say, let it grow, let it grow, let it grow. ;)

Doxieee
November 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
THANKS EVERYONE! I'm gonna really try and put my bad thin-hair thoughts beside me.. my parents were sad when I got my hair chopped too lol This time I'm gonna just try and grow it, but even out the layers/bangs at a medium length, that way when it gets longer it shouldnt look THAT thin lol and I'll be less likely to get weak and CHOP again.

Annalouise
November 2nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
My ponytail measures 2" and I did cut my hair to shoulder length because I felt my hair was too thin to look nice. That is 2" at the neck! When you get to bsl it is about 1.5". And close to my waist it was about 1".

So, taper has a lot to do with it as well. Your hair will not stay the same thickness infinately.

Personally, I would not go past bsl because I just don't have enough hair. I am taking vitamins though and if my hair stays thicker longer, or sheds less and I end up with more hair, I'll keep growing it.

But I think everyone has a line where they feel that beyond that line the hair is too thin to look attractive.

Since thick hair is more healthy looking hair, I won't keep hair that is less than 1.5-2". But it is personal preference.:)

jaine
November 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Are you measuring over the ponytail elastic? If so try measuring next to it. Your ponytail looks normal to me though.

MsBubbles
November 2nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
I felt my hair was too thin to look nice. That is 2" at the neck! When you get to bsl it is about 1.5". And close to my waist it was about 1".

So, taper has a lot to do with it as well. Your hair will not stay the same thickness infinately.

Personally, I would not go past bsl because I just don't have enough hair.

But I think everyone has a line where they feel that beyond that line the hair is too thin to look attractive.

Interesting! I have thought about this too. And even though I haven't got there yet, I am holding out that what others have said is true for me, and that the thickness will move down the length with time. So even though I might look like my best hope for a decent hemline is BSL right now, later that might change. I hope. :)

luthein
November 2nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
I'm between a 2.8-3.0 inch circ =)

Also, keep in mind that regardless of thickness, most growers have awkward hair stages. Sometimes the hemline ends at a weird length or the hair growing out looks a bit shaggy. Try to grin and bear it when things look funky (which is what I'm doing right now!) :blossom:

ETA: I don't have thin hair, but I understand how you feel. When I first came to LHC I became self-conscious about my circumference. I read this thread and it helped.
I'm vowing to give up on hair thickness (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45332)

Delila
November 2nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Your hair looks thicker than mine.

I think the layers are creating an illusion that's distracting you from realizing how thick your hair really is.

Don't forget, as those layers grow out, your hemline will be thin and ragged. This does not mean you can't grow out your hair, just that you need to let the short layers catch up with your hemline.

FrozenBritannia
November 2nd, 2011, 07:38 PM
luthein, thats an interesting thread, thanks for linking it!

girlcat36
November 2nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Don't get discouraged! There are plenty of us 'thinnies' here at LHC!

I agree that your layers are giving you the illusion of a thinner ponytail. Microtrimming only the longest bits will help the other layers catch up in no time.

I struggle with my thin hair, but the the thing that keep me going is the thought that I can have hair that is long and thin, or hair that is short and thin. I prefer long and thin. My ponytail measures 2.25-2.50. I did get up to 3.25 about 18 months ago but medical woes made it all shed out again :(
My hair is curly and very fine. It's clumps into about 3 main ringlets when loose making it look even thinner. Oh well.
I did ask a trusted friend(male) for an honest opinion recently on whether I should cut off my hair due to it's thinness. He looked at me like I was crazy and just couldn't understand why I would consider such a thing. He said, "Your hair is uniquely yours and gives you a certain 'look', you should not cut it".
Even our long, thin hair can make us unique. Anyone can have short thin hair; it's easy. Not many of us opt for the long haul.

Nenwing
November 2nd, 2011, 08:13 PM
I hear ya, I get discouraged too when I see pictures of people (here and IRL) who have gorgeous thick hair. I have *very* fine hair, each strand is very fine and this becomes a problem for me when I try to wear it down because it will static up pretty much every time except for the hottest muggy summer day (do others of you with fine hair have static issues?)

My circumference is about like yours, around 2.5" or so.

GlennaGirl
November 2nd, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hello everyone.. I am sad to say I let my discouragement get the best of me and got my hair chopped off to the bottom of my neck. Here's my issue, I have super baby fine/thin hair, when I measured my ponytail circum. I was at 2.75", however then I compared to other LHC members who had similar circum. my ponytail appeared sooooo tiny. I even measured about 5 times to make sure I wasn't getting false numbers. I cut 6 inches off, got bangs and layers. As much as I'd love to have long hair, I feel that its pointless because it'll look soo thin, my ponytail is so sad :( I'd like to try and grow my bangs out, then even out all my layers, then grow from there.. can any thinnies out there relate? :(

My ponytail is the same circumference as yours and I decided to embrace my thinness! I got light layering (LIGHT is the key here, we lower-iis can't necessarily get as heavy layering as thicker-haireds without truly losing *all* bottom volume) and I am rocking bangs! I LOVE my bangs. I thought they would take away from the hemline thickness but am surprised to see that there really isn't such a big difference at all, yet from the front and sides, I really look like I "have hair" now.

Rock your thinness. It's wispy, beautiful, soft, fey, faerie-like. It's dreamy. It has its own beauty and that's a very legitimate beauty indeed.

Doxieee
November 2nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
@Nenwing - I have static issues, mainly winter time. Wind isn't my friend either lol knots me hair up in NO time!

Again, thanks for all the support, it's really nice to speak to other people with similar hair issues. Sometimes I wonder if I am silly for being so paranoid about my hair lol I see friends who are on the thinner side and they just let it grow, no care in the world.. I wish I could do that! I'm so focused on the tiny ponytail, my hair looking stringy.. AH! lol The guy I'm dating even liked my hair when it was longer, said it looked good and was silky :)

auroraclio
November 2nd, 2011, 09:55 PM
My ponytail is 2.5", but my hair when down looks alot thicker, it has a lot of natural volume. I can relate though, pulled into a ponytail it is absolutely tiny, but nothing I can do.

You're not alone girl! :)

DoubleCrowned
November 2nd, 2011, 10:26 PM
This will cheer you: My ponytail is under 1.5 inches (3.4 cm.) with a fast taper.
I decided to let my hair grow as long as it wants to even though it is too thin to be pretty down. At least, with it long, I can wrap it into a little bun that makes people think I have more hair than I do.

Inching Along
November 2nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
I understand your sadness at your thin hair, but your ponytail circumference is great! The last time I measured mine, it was a paltry 1.5 inches. Yes, you read that right. In 2008, it was also 1.5 inches; in 2009, it was 2.5 inches (!); in 2010, it was 2 inches; and this year, it's back to 1.5 inches. I am hoping to gain thickness...I see a couple months' worth of new growth, so that's encouraging. But I hope to have my health and stress level under control enough to grow hair. And even if my hair remains thin, I am encouraged by the ladies here with long hair that's thin, because their photos are beautiful. There's a thread called Thin/Fine Hair Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115) that you might like to peruse. And this thread: Thin hair, but very long, anybody out there? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=79937)

Inching Along
November 2nd, 2011, 10:36 PM
This will cheer you: My ponytail is under 1.5 inches (3.4 cm.) with a fast taper.
I decided to let my hair grow as long as it wants to even though it is too thin to be pretty down. At least, with it long, I can wrap it into a little bun that makes people think I have more hair than I do.

Hello, ponytail size twin! :) Your hair is much longer than mine, and I'm sure your updos are pretty.

CaityBear
November 3rd, 2011, 12:50 AM
I know how you feel. I rarely ever leave my hair in a plain braid or anything like that because my braid is so pitifully thin. I usually just leave my hair up or do other things to make it look a bit thicker and that makes me feel better.

Nobody ever expects my length when it's in a bun because my bun is so small...in a way that makes me feel sad because my hair is so thin that I have a tiny bun...but in a way I like it because people are always shocked when they see my hair down...

busnutmedic
November 3rd, 2011, 01:16 AM
I chopped all of my hair off at some point in the recent past (I guess it's been a year now). As someone who came from a long-hair-for-religious-reasons who no longer had those views, it was so freeing to chop it off and be happy with my head.

I'm regrowing, and this time I feel no pressure at all. Before I wanted to get it as long as possible, was very impatient, and always obsessed with how long it was, or how thick it was, etc. Now I feel so free! I don't know what changed. I'm not shooting for classic length anymore, because I want to wear it out without worrying about it so much, so I'll probably end at waist or thereabouts.

So, yes, I feel your pain, but also, just relax and don't think you need to have hair like everyone else. It REALLY is OK to be different, even if it means you end up with shorter hair than someone else, or longer, or thinner, etc. Think about what would make YOU happy with your head of hair. I know sometimes we think it'd just be the best thing if we had thick hair, but if it isn't the case, then there's no sense beating yourself up over it.

When I was growing the last time, I think I was growing my hair out more because I expected it to look like a certain picture in my head, but it wasn't. And that frustrated me. It helped me a lot to realize that I'd never have super-thick hair, and I should just be me! Not my friend who has super-thick, super-long hair. I just had to come to peace with that and live with my hair the way I wanted it to look, given my particular hairtype/thickness etc.

I'm pretty sure my ponytail is just as thin, if not thinner than yours, btw :) But it's OK. If I don't like it when it gets longer, I won't keep it longer. I'm going to make me happy with my hair this time around instead of always worrying about it :)

PS. Your hair looks so smooth and soft. I think with thinness generally comes some really nice qualities that others may not have, such as super-fine, soft strands that are really shiny. I'm not saying thick hair is always lacking this, but I think it's good to celebrate whatever qualities we do like about our hair, and take advantage of them :)

embee
November 3rd, 2011, 05:28 AM
Honey, some people have Big Hair. Some of us don't.

I've had short, long, inbetween, permed. Long is best for me.

Short was silly, it was still thin and looked pathetic and flat. Perm looked like someone else was in the room with me when I caught sight of myself in the mirror, quite shocking. Inbetween was just thin stringy lank hair hanging down.

Long is an updo! Most folks cannot make an updo, so I get to shine, even with my limited skill. Nobody can tell how thin my hair is.

And your hair, at 2.75 is considerably thicker than mine is. :)

CarpeDM
November 3rd, 2011, 05:45 AM
I know how you feel. I rarely ever leave my hair in a plain braid or anything like that because my braid is so pitifully thin. I usually just leave my hair up or do other things to make it look a bit thicker and that makes me feel better.

Nobody ever expects my length when it's in a bun because my bun is so small...in a way that makes me feel sad because my hair is so thin that I have a tiny bun...but in a way I like it because people are always shocked when they see my hair down...

I feel the same way with my bun, I think I might even have bun envy when I see a big bun...

haibane
November 3rd, 2011, 06:00 AM
I understand your sadness at your thin hair, but your ponytail circumference is great! The last time I measured mine, it was a paltry 1.5 inches. Yes, you read that right. In 2008, it was also 1.5 inches; in 2009, it was 2.5 inches (!); in 2010, it was 2 inches; and this year, it's back to 1.5 inches. I am hoping to gain thickness...I see a couple months' worth of new growth, so that's encouraging. But I hope to have my health and stress level under control enough to grow hair. And even if my hair remains thin, I am encouraged by the ladies here with long hair that's thin, because their photos are beautiful. There's a thread called Thin/Fine Hair Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115) that you might like to peruse. And this thread: Thin hair, but very long, anybody out there? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=79937)

Seconding that those are two awesome and inspirational threads.

I used to totally relate. But I had an epiphany with the recent ponytail photo/circumference thread: I couldn't really tell a difference in those photos between a 2.5"er and a 4"er. ALL of the ponytails looked nice, and they all looked rather pinched at the fastening. I decided it was time to quit worrying about my (ii) circumference because in real life and the grand scheme of things, nobody else really notices.

Seconding this too! Here's a link to the thread: Post your ponytails! Thickness (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=76114)

Anywhere
November 3rd, 2011, 06:25 AM
I'm average, a 3.25" circumference.. but that only lasts for an inch or so and then it tapers dramatically, getting to less than an inch by BSL. :o
A lot of shedding from being anemic and such.
My ponytail is puny. So are my braids.

The thing is, my friend with iii hair wishes her hair was as "thin" mine, always points out the thinness of my hair. At first it made me super self-conscious, I never thought of my hair as thin, but then I got over it. Said friend cut her hair to SL because it was getting too long and gave her headaches supposedly.

The thing is, as long as your hair is healthy and awesome looking it won't matter how thin it is. My hair is less than half an inch circumference for probably the bottom 1/4 of my hair, with it being less than 1" for half my hair. It honestly doesn't look that bad at all after trimming off the dead ends. It's still thin, but it looks fine. And if your hair is 2.75" then you already have a ton more hair at the ends than my hair most likely, so it must look amazing. :D

Delila
November 3rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
About the static thing, yes, mine is very fly-away/spider-webby. It mostly floats beyond about APL, which makes it look thinner than it is.

I like to think of it as ethereal. :)

An issue that's really important for me is to condition my length, but NOT ANYWHERE NEAR MY SCALP. For one, my scalp hates conditioner, my skin goes crazy with itching. Also, though, the first few inches of my hair are in good shape and do not seem to need the extra moisture or weight that conditioner can give. My hair looks less oily, longer, if I just condition from about the ears down.

pinchbeck
November 3rd, 2011, 09:23 AM
My hair is not thick but looks thicker because I have lots of it. My issue is I am not sure my length suits my facial structure which has resulted in cutting it off like you did adding layers. I too wish I had thicker hair, (and bigger this and thinner that) but I don't. Grrr...

I wonder if most people compare themselves to others and where this comes from and why? Is comparing ourselves deeply ingrained for some of us? Why do some of us feel badly when we don't compare (I am referring to our perception of comparison)? Why do some feel a lot of pride (or better than others) when fitting into today's standard of beauty?

sweet&sourkiwi
November 3rd, 2011, 10:00 AM
Isn't it funny how whatever we have, we want the opposite? I've watched my best friends with thick, gorgeous hair RIP through it with a brush, hair-flying, because they don't care if they lose more hair! They are sick of having such fat hair! Meanwhile...I am spritzing and fluffling and working to try to get my thin hair to thicken up a bit!

I have a 1.5 circumference and APL hair. I would have a bit more, but the water in my building is so hard it's eaten a bunch of my hair. But you have to work with what you have! Maybe if your ponytail bums you out, wear it loose or in a looser ponytail? Wear it however looks thick and lush to you!

I've found I can slide velcro rollers out of my fine hair (others snag on the velcros, so your mileage may vary.) Bumble and Bumble Thickening spray is a major helper...it's mainly wheat and proteins and doesn't seem to build up much on me. I also air dry my hair up in a loose bun, changing the position of the bun until the roots are dry, then air dry the rest down. Amazingly, it gives it longer lasting volume than blow-drying, which just feel flat in an hour AND caused more drying, breakage, shedding.

One thing that's helped me is cutting cones out of the shower routine, but then applying just a drop from the ears down. Our air is SOOOO dry here and oils just weren't enough to seal the moisture in! This way the dry parts of my hair get a little sealant, without weighing down the roots.

One more thing...and this will probably get me some bug eyes...but every once in a blue moon I use a curling iron, hairspray, and just glam the heck out of my hair. It's rare. But sometimes you just need a day of feeling like you have fat hair!

But anyway...I think it helps to know that many of thickies and curlies long for fine and straight...the supposed ease of styling...etc. :)

teal
November 3rd, 2011, 12:10 PM
I came into this thread expecting around 1" circumference, not about what mine is! :lol:

2.75" is not excessively thin. It's average. I think my hair is slightly on the thin side, but it's not super thin or anything - there's plenty for updos and I get to avoid the "OMG what do I do with all this hair?!" and "OMG my hair is huge and it won't lay down and be good" and "OMG my hair takes forever to wash/dry/brush/whatever" and "OMG my hair uses so much product" that some of the iii folks have to go through. Well, except the drying part. :lol: My hair does take forever to dry.

I used to be really jealous of a good friend's hair when I was in high school. It was waist length, silky and thick... everything mine wasn't. That feeling persisted long afterwards and bubbled up whenever I saw a person with a thick ponytail. At some point I realized that aside from putting in extensions, my hair was not magically going to thicken up and I should appreciate and make the most of what I had. It just doesn't make sense to let myself get upset about something which a. can't really be altered and b. isn't bad to begin with! I'd put "bad" in my head without cause.

As a funny little end note, my friend cut her hair after graduating and when I caught up with her years later she told me that she'd hated the work of taking care of long hair. She's busy with a newborn but when she gets her routines down I think I might talk to her about growing it out again and bring her here. :)

wahmof9
November 3rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
I am in the same boat and growing because I love the fell of my long hair even if thin

Rocket22
November 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
also just a side note I think people with thinner hair can make it look a lot thicker with adding curls. I am on the thin side and when I curl it (like with rag curls or caurso rollers) it can look tons! thicker so basically I think the longer your hair is the more curls you can put in it and the thicker it will look. that has been my experience anyways.

ETA: also I know this is not the same but I have had extensions that made my hair hella thick. And although I loved it at first I very shortly did feel it was just too thick. (never in a million years would I have thought there was such a thing as too thick) but anyways It didn't have that soft bouncy feeling of hair that is a tad thinner , but I could get away with not washing it as much, so guess there are pros and cons to everything.

akilina
November 3rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
i just cut all my hair off to the bottom of my neck in june too :( surprisingly its grown back quite a bit...im also thin too. i get discouraged alot it is very hard to keep on growin! haha ;p it helps t come here for inspiration and great ideas

BlazingHeart
November 3rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
You've got very average thickness, your hair really isn't thin.

Now, there are some definite advantages to NOT having thick hair. You'll be able to do far more intricate, complicated buns than I will ever be able to. Your hair is less likely to roast you when it's left down. You won't get neck pain from the weight of your hair when it's wet. (shoot, when I was a child, I used to fall back into the pool when I was trying to climb out because my hair weighed so much. If I went slowly so the water could drain out, I could make it out, but if I tried to go quickly, I'd lose my grip on the ladder and fall back in.) You can use a comb without separating it into 1" sections (yes, I really do have to section it into that small of sections to be able to comb). Less thick hair is easier to wash and rinse, and uses less product. The maximum amount of knots you can get is smaller - I have ended up with literally grapefruit size knots in waist length hair, when I've done foolish things in the past. And I bet it doesn't take you as long to dry as it does me - in full sunlight, in a dry climate, and with frequent manipulation to help speed things along, it takes me over 4 hours to dry my hair. If I try to blowdry it after thoroughly toweling it with 2 full-size bath towels, on high and with frequent sectioning and brushing to help speed things up, it takes 40 minutes minimum. Even if I towel my hair with a full-size bath towel, it will STILL be dripping. It takes me a bath towel and 3 turbies to get to the point most people can get to with just a hand towel.

Growing long hair is all about learning to love what your hair does WELL, and accepting its limitations.

~Blaze