PDA

View Full Version : Can safe elastics be used regularly for updos?

shikara
November 1st, 2011, 07:53 PM
I'd especially like to hear from those who do, and other than using the safe type, if there are any other helpful tips. How possible is it to only get minimal damage- some people talk as if I can certainly expect to get a 'rim' of breakage.

Madora
November 1st, 2011, 08:08 PM
Yes, they can, provided there is no metal in the elastic. Also, it is best not to have them too tight to the scalp. You should be able to insert at least one finger between the ponytail and the scalp.

How you remove the elastic determines how damaging (or not) it will be. For instance, if you just pull the elastic off the ponytail, that isn't good for the hair.

To protect the hair you should open the elastic with your fingers and then draw out the tail from the band, little by little.

Also, you should try and vary where you place your updos so that the hair isn't constantly being pulled into position in the same place. If the hair is pulled into the same area, time after time, the hairs in that section will begin to show damage over time.

If you hair is long enough, try foregoing the elastic band and just gently twist the hair to form a coil and then bun it.

To hide the elastics (if you wish), you can take a small sliver of hair and wind it around the elastic to hide it, pinning with small crimped hairpins as you go.

MrsGuther
November 1st, 2011, 08:24 PM
I am not a fan of elastics, but I suppose if you are very careful with the way you wear them and take them out you could minimize the damage from them. Since I switched from elastic ponytail holders to soft scrunchies my hair has gained 1 inch of thickness. My ponytail circumference went from 3.25 to 4.25.

Raiscake
November 1st, 2011, 08:43 PM
I do for work. I have really pesky layers that stick out if I only use a hairstick, so I use a fabric elastic to keep them down. It's metal-free and you could say elastic free? It's only made of cloth, nothing else, and the cloth itself is stretchable. You could look for one of those. I haven't encountered any damage. My hair is heavily oiled which may provide some slip.

ddiana1979
November 1st, 2011, 11:02 PM
I use them Scuncii metal-free elastics fairly frequently, perhaps 2-3 days per week. I use them exactly as Madora described to minimize damage. I haven't really noticed any damage, but my hair tends to be fairly strong and resistant to split ends and the like. I also never blow dry nor use any hot hair styling tools, and I'm very gentle with my hair, so perhaps if I piled on a lot of potentially damaging things, I'd notice more problems. The way I see it, your hair grows an average of 0.5" per month, so the region where the elastic contacts the hair changes fairly frequently anyway, especially if you move your ponytail around like Madora suggested.

Lissandria
November 2nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
Since I switched from elastic ponytail holders to soft scrunchies my hair has gained 1 inch of thickness. My ponytail circumference went from 3.25 to 4.25.

:agape:
I have only 2.5" in thickness and a hell of a lot of breakage from elastics. This is very inspiring to hear as someone who has just thrown out all their elastics and stocked up on scrunchies!

ylime
November 2nd, 2011, 02:41 AM
I have been using fabric-y metal-less hairties for years, and I'm yet to have serious trouble with them. That being said I do have them far away from my scalp and if it's a braid I finish with a clear elastic :)
I will always be a proud fan of my satin scrunchies though, even of my friends think im so "90s"

celebriangel
November 2nd, 2011, 08:05 AM
I think some of the F-haired find ponytail holders to be damaging on their fragile hair, but as an M you are likely to be fine as long as you remove them gently and don't put them in too tight.

Amber_Maiden
November 2nd, 2011, 09:43 AM
I do messy updo buns on the very top of my head. I use an elastic with no metal. Every tiem I put my messy bun up it's different, because it's messy. I find it's best like this, I then don't have to worry about it being wrapped the same way every time.

XcaliburGirl
November 2nd, 2011, 10:36 AM
When my hair was growing shoulder to APL, I had a tight ponytail in the same place everyday with a metal-free elastic. I did get some visible damage from that while I was 'cone-free. When I used to use 'cones daily, pre-LHC, I never noticed any damage, but I wasn't looking for it at the time.

If you switch around the placement, don't make it tight, and remove carefully, it might be fine.

The non-elastic stretchy fabric band that Raiscake mentioned sounds intriguing.

ladyfey
November 2nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
What Madora said! I use them almost every day, I like the more secure feeling my updos have when I start off with a ponytail in. I just trimmed back to knee, so it can't be messing me up too badly.