PDA

View Full Version : Keratin Treatment?

hendricks82
November 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM
So the "LivingSocial" deal around here today is a Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Keratriplex treatment. I am having trouble finding much information about this stuff, but it is supposed to repair damaged hair. My hair isn't super damaged, but not super shiny either. Is this stuff hair safe?

I would love to have straight flowy shiny locks, but not at the expense of my hairs's long term health.

So LHCers, what is the deal on this one? Fun pamper me treat or fry my hair and permanently alter my hairs structure?

btw, I currently have BSL vigin hair

monichella
November 1st, 2011, 01:55 PM
If the treatment includes high temperature straightening irons I didn't do it.
Btw, some month ago I bought pure keratin and opened a topic http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66912
Maybe it can be helpful to you too.

hendricks82
November 1st, 2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks!

What I have found says that you sit under the dryer for 10 minutes, and that wouldn't be so bad I don't think. My hair hasn't seen a dryer in months, so I didn't figure 10 minutes would hurt

The deal includes ironing, but from what I can tell its not part of the treatment, so I figured I could decline that part.

How did the pure keratin work out for you? Did you find a routine for application?

Leucothea
November 1st, 2011, 02:11 PM
If I was you, with BSL virgin hair (congrats by the way! :) ), I wouldn't do it. Just because virgin hair is so hard to get back to. Also, the treatment may look beautiful at first, but once you're roots start growing in it might look awkward. If it does you will either have to redo your roots (probably all of your hair, which may cause damage) or you'll have to endure that awkward re-growth period.
I don't want to be a Negative-Nancy, but I would just advise against it. :)

cheetahfast
November 1st, 2011, 02:16 PM
I say don't do it. I did a different keratin treatment and my hair's texture isn't the same anymore. It's slightly different. It does not fix damage, it masks it. My hair was never 100% straight from it, but mine was much curlier than yours. The treatment I did turned out to secretly have formaldehyde...not good.

My experience wasn't with this exact treatment so you may want to disregard what I've said :shrug:

Mesmerise
November 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM
I would be extremely wary. Maybe this is a better keratin treatment than some, but everything I've heard suggests that the hair looks great... for awhile and then... not so good.

Also, you'd have to ask about the ironing part, because most keratin treatments require ironing in order to impart the straight, silky look. Just drying hair under a hairdryer probably wouldn't have the same effect (of course you'd have to check up on that, because I could be wrong... this particular treatment may not need it).

And yeah, I do understand why you want it... I would LOVE straight, shiny locks. I do really miss my hair straightener... but my overall condition is quite bad as a result of using it. I was planning on getting a keratin treatment before I joined LHC!

Amber_Maiden
November 1st, 2011, 02:32 PM
I've been told my hair would look better with it... but I won't do it. I've heard it's something you have to redo every couple of months...

hendricks82
November 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM
Thank you Thank you!!

I had no clue it had to be redone, and thought it was more of a conditioning thing... I was obviously wrong.

So to curb my "need" to do something to my hair... I currently have my very first SMT on my tresses :-) something that I can repeat as needed without ironing and possible formaldehyde :-)

Aimskylove
November 1st, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hello! I have been doing keratin for about a year and a half now. I love it! it does require the heat as part of the process but once the 48 hrs pass I dont straighten my hair until the next time I need to do keratin. Because of the keratin my hair has less frizz and I dont need to use a hot iron anymore. I say its the best thing ever! But I do use one that is formaldehyde free.

monichella
November 2nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
How did the pure keratin work out for you? Did you find a routine for application?
Yes I did! I do not use it very often, only once or twice per month. I add 1 teaspoon of keratin in one cup of conditioner, apply on wet hair after shampooing and let it stay (warm) for 30 minutes, then rinse out well.
If your hair likes keratin you can also make a solution of water and 2-3% of keratin plus some hydrating agents (panthenol, inulin, silk protein and so on) and use it after washing to ""style"" your hair before drying. At the end my suggestion is always to combine keratin with some moisturizing agents to have the best result.

In low concentration keratin doesn't damage hair as a salon treatment should do.
Btw stop use it if your hair sounds "crispy", reduce employing. :)