PDA

View Full Version : Rude, stupid hair-comment from a complete stranger! *Rant!*

SwordWomanRiona
November 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM
This morning I was going out with my parents and getting into the car when a couple of strangers (a man and a woman) passed by. I had my back turned to them, and was wearing my classic-length hair in a braided ponytail with a green ribbon woven into the braid. When they passed, the man said quite loudly to his companion (it was clear that he wanted me to hear that) "That hair isn't decent, you know". Erm...right :disgust:.
I have been told many things about my hair, because, all right, classic-length hair isn't common at all where I live, but they were mostly surprised comments, dumb if you like, but just those random comments about how long my hair is. But why should anyone insult me about it? If you don't like it, just don't grow it this long, why don't you? And what's with the word 'decent' (you don't know how much I hate that word!!)?!! What on earth do you mean, 'having my hair this long (or with a green ribbon!) isn't "decent" '?!:rant:'
Some people just don't know how to mind their own business, it seems. Unfortunately, I was lacking my sword at that moment :p.

KateMcC
November 1st, 2011, 01:45 PM
I'm so sorry you had that experience with such rude people. Please allow me to be one of the first to cancel out that negative comment with a true compliment. I think your hair is absolutely gorgeous!! I would love to see a pic of it braided with a green ribbon. My goal is classic length, and I appreciate the care, patience, and effort you have put into your lovely tresses.

Ignore idiots and focus on your fans!! I hope your day gets better!

pepperminttea
November 1st, 2011, 01:48 PM
Snarky comments aren't "decent," if you ask me. :nono:

Curly Hermione
November 1st, 2011, 01:49 PM
Ugh, I feel for you, people can be such idiots. :rolleyes:
At least we know those rude people aren't on the LHC, they'd find us thoroughly "indecent". :p

Amber_Maiden
November 1st, 2011, 01:50 PM
OMG. Wow. It always seems to surprise me that people can be so freaking rude.... it really shouldn't shock me anymore, but I always have hope for humanity *heavy sigh*.

I'm sorry this happened to you. :( If only you had had your sword with you...

spidermom
November 1st, 2011, 01:52 PM
"Decent" just doesn't compute. Are you sure they weren't seeing someone else's hair on the other side of the street?

Whatever - please don't be personally offended. That comment made so little sense that it doesn't merit another thought.

irishlady
November 1st, 2011, 01:53 PM
Ugh...reminds me of two stupid comments I have received from people:

"You're so pale! Like a ghost! I can't be near you without wearing sunglasses!"

and

"Long hair makes your face look too long, you should cut it shortish."

Yeah I totally asked them for their opinions :rolleyes:

DancingQueen
November 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
He used the word decent??? English is not my original language, but I think I could find better words than 'not decent' to insult people. Not that I see why he did it, you have beautiful hair. Some people are just idiots. :)

teal
November 1st, 2011, 01:58 PM
Wow. There was something "not decent" in that situation, but it surely wasn't your hair.

Anje
November 1st, 2011, 02:28 PM
Not decent... I'm tempted I would have shown them something a lot more indecent than a pretty braid if I'd heard that! The moon's out early today!

Purdy Bear
November 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
You have my sympathies Iv been on the recieving end numerous times by peoples comments either about my hair or lack of it. Its just truely amazing how complete strangers feel they must voice their opinions.

My favourite quote is 'other peoples opinions are none of my business' which was said by a women on one of our shows called Loose Women. It says it all. The man must be very controlling or arrogant that his opinion would really matter to anyone. I am surprised that it was a man as usually they love women with long hair.

As far as decent is concerned thats his mind doing the work and nothing to do with you.

Madora
November 1st, 2011, 02:42 PM
I'm sorry you experienced such an unwarranted remark, SwordWomanRiona! Some men lack the ability to appreciate the more beautiful things in life. Hopefully, karma will catch up with him...sooner than later! Your hair is beautiful!

katienoonan
November 1st, 2011, 02:47 PM
He might have just meant that your indecent braid was obscenely attractive..... :eyebrows:

turtlelover
November 1st, 2011, 02:47 PM
I really think that the older generations have more hang ups with long hair than the younger ones. I wouldn't give a 2nd thought to the insults....what YOU like is what matters in the end! Your hair is soooo pretty!!!

Shesta
November 1st, 2011, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry he managed to offend you. Your hair is most beautiful and pretty decent if you ask me! Just make sure next time to be able to show (and use) your sword :eyebrows:

Druid of Alba
November 1st, 2011, 02:56 PM
Pfffft, HE'S not very decent. I wouldn't mind what he said one bit. He's an idiot. Just laugh it off. Your hair looks beautiful! Thanks for the birthday wishes, by the way! :p

Slinks
November 1st, 2011, 03:00 PM
Wow. There was something "not decent" in that situation, but it surely wasn't your hair.
:lol: this !! I like this answer :-)

caiti42
November 1st, 2011, 03:25 PM
He might have just meant that your indecent braid was obscenely attractive..... :eyebrows:

"like"

The whole concept has had me in hysterics all morning lol. How can long hair not be decent? It's absurd. I have no idea how a person could come to that conclusion lol.

If you see him again tell him his horrid manners are not decent.

The braid sounds lovely. I can't wait until my hair is indecent enough to weave ribbon in!

skyblue
November 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM
Your kidding! The man is not all there obviously! He's lacking something....the lights are on but nobody's home!!! HAHAHA!!
Don't let him make ya feel bad just feel sorry for him poor guy lol!!
You have my dream hair just wanted to tell ya that! ;)

Malibu Barbie
November 1st, 2011, 03:31 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you. I wish others didn't feel the need to always comment on others hair but it happens. I ignore it when it's negative. I also think of all the nice comments I get.

daniew0708
November 1st, 2011, 03:34 PM
How miserable do you have to be to insult a complete stranger in order to show your superiority. Honestly you have amazing hair don't let the negativity that surrounds that person effect the postive that you live in daily.

moxamoll
November 1st, 2011, 03:57 PM
It's just such a weird comment. Decent? Can't do anything about it now, but I really do wonder if he was in fact commenting on someone else entirely? A homeless person who hadn't washed in quite a while or something?

Whether the comment was intended about you or someone else, it still wasn't nice! I hope your rant here let you leave it behind and it hasn't ruined your day.

You have GORGEOUS hair!

Mayflower
November 1st, 2011, 04:03 PM
Ahh, narrow-minded people... you'll find them everywhere.

MagicAndMayhem
November 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Not decent... I'm tempted I would have shown them something a lot more indecent than a pretty braid if I'd heard that! The moon's out early today!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: best response yet

Atlantic
November 1st, 2011, 04:17 PM

That's the first thing that occurred to me, too. I can easily imagine 'not decent' being used as a witty synonym for 'far too gorgeous for public consumption.' :)

jaine
November 1st, 2011, 04:23 PM

That's what I thought too actually...

Audrey Horne
November 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM
I'm sure it's already been said but man's taste wasn't decent hehe

MsBubbles
November 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM
"Decent" just doesn't compute. Are you sure they weren't seeing someone else's hair on the other side of the street?

Whatever - please don't be personally offended. That comment made so little sense that it doesn't merit another thought.

I'm with Spidermom and Anje here.

It doesn't make any sense. I'm sorry if it was directed at you. Insults about appearances are so immature and pointless. Well done for retaining your composure in the moment, though. It's more than I would have done.

RecklessCharlie
November 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM
If it was meant as an insult then that person obviously has no grasp whatsoever on the meaning of the word 'decent.' Best to not give nincompoops like that a second thought.

If it was, as others have suggested, a round-about compliment then you should be quite pleased! :)

jacqueline101
November 1st, 2011, 06:35 PM
There are rude people everywhere. I like your hair and it takes time to grow hair and effort. Maybe they were jealous. Some people turn on others when they're jealous. Like you said if you can't say something nice don't say anything.

AngelDella
November 1st, 2011, 06:44 PM
That just doesn't make sense at all...

I guess his tone portrayed his negative intent, but my first thought was, maybe he meant it like "not fair" that someone can grow such beautiful long hair. I think that sometime...I truly have never had hair past mid back and I went years without hardly trimming. I'm happy for people like you, but slightly jealous too :) But now that I've found ways to take better care of my hair, I'm shooting for at least hip!!! Can't wait!I'm so happy I found this place :)

longhairedwolf
November 1st, 2011, 07:39 PM
I think you hair is lovely!

SilentGuardian
November 1st, 2011, 08:29 PM
That is so rude. Your hair is very beautiful, but I guess that doesn't matter to them because it isn't fashionable. I tell you, I see a lot of people around here with shorter hairstyles, and their hair isn't healthy at all. I think I would feel compelled to say something if anyone remarked on my hair that way

beckishness
November 1st, 2011, 08:38 PM
That comment makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm sorry that happened to you, but please, don't be upset over the stupidity of others. You have beautiful hair, and don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise.

Yame
November 1st, 2011, 08:41 PM

Precisely! What are these people thinking?

LaurelSpring
November 1st, 2011, 08:42 PM

Yeah. Maybe it was such a turn on that he couldnt take it!

Your hair is awesome!

leslissocool
November 1st, 2011, 08:48 PM

THIS! To me this comment is so odd, since when long hair is a sing of being indecent or decent? I'd actually think that woman with long hair that keep it neatly braided is MORE decent than bed-hair or messy styles and crazy colors... which I have had both, along with ridiculously slutty clothes :o.

EXACTLY! I LOVE braided ribbons... Forget this guy, he needs a dictionary.

KwaveT
November 1st, 2011, 08:48 PM
Your hair is absolutely gorgeous. In fact, it would make many envious. If there is anything that I have learned is if you have anything unusual then everybody is going to have an opinion because it draws attention. You are going to get both positive and negative opinions. I have learned to tune this sort of negativity out and just listen to the complements.

justgreen
November 1st, 2011, 09:01 PM

Yes, this is what I was going to suggest . You know, like 'bad' is good? Cyk and I do this with food a lot. Like stuff that tastes to die for, I'll say it's horrible and he'll agree.

swearnsue
November 1st, 2011, 09:06 PM
We are all assuming that you went out in public with your HEAD hair braided with a green ribbon. If it was leg hair, well that might be considered indecent by some people. Leg hair should always be braided with pink ribbon, not green!
Seriously, maybe he said it to make his wife feel better because she has trouble growing her hair???? IDK, really weird comment. Your hair is beautiful btw.

darklion
November 2nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
I'm totally confused on why your hair wasn't "decent".
How can HAIR be indecent?

Melisande
November 2nd, 2011, 07:47 AM
Were they native speakers? In German, dezent means "not easily noticed". The word decent and dezent are "false friends", i.e., they sound alike but have different meaning. A German speaker might say that your hair is "not dezent" and mean that it sticks out and is immediately noticeable.

Your hair is gorgeous. I know how upsetting it can be when strangers make unkind remarks.

It's already some years ago - I crossed a street in a big German city. There were tourists waiting to start their car on that street, and I heard the man shout to his wife in a foreign language (that I happen to understand): "let's wait until the fat cow crosses". He thought that nobody in Germany understood him. So I turned to him and shouted: "did you talk about me? mind your manners, we learn your language at school here in Germany!" He and his wife blushed and apologized. But I felt really, really terrible and still feel terrible. So I'm a fat cow. That was bitter.

misspurdy06
November 2nd, 2011, 07:58 AM
This morning I was going out with my parents and getting into the car when a couple of strangers (a man and a woman) passed by. I had my back turned to them, and was wearing my classic-length hair in a braided ponytail with a green ribbon woven into the braid. When they passed, the man said quite loudly to his companion (it was clear that he wanted me to hear that) "That hair isn't decent, you know". Erm...right :disgust:.
I have been told many things about my hair, because, all right, classic-length hair isn't common at all where I live, but they were mostly surprised comments, dumb if you like, but just those random comments about how long my hair is. But why should anyone insult me about it? If you don't like it, just don't grow it this long, why don't you? And what's with the word 'decent' (you don't know how much I hate that word!!)?!! What on earth do you mean, 'having my hair this long (or with a green ribbon!) isn't "decent" '?!:rant:'
Some people just don't know how to mind their own business, it seems. Unfortunately, I was lacking my sword at that moment :p.

I know how you feel. My sisters boyfriend and his parents as well as my sister think long hair is gross and unnecessary. To them it's the equivalent of really long dirty toe nails with sandals.

SwordWomanRiona
November 2nd, 2011, 09:46 AM
Wow!! I really wasn't expecting these many replies, nor all the sweet compliments :)! Thanks all, you're the best! This is the nicest community I've ever met, and no mistake :thumbsup:.

But please don't worry about me feeling bad about that rude person (we have them in their hundreds everyday, anyway, don't we :shake:), fortunately I didn't brood on the matter for a long time. I was rather amazed at his rude, minding-in-your-business, narrow-minded attitude, and, of course, I felt angry too, but it takes more than that to vanquish a Celtic sword-woman :p! *LHC really needs smilies with swords! Although I can always use this one! :draw: *
And of course, his particular choice of words left me nonplussed too. Huh. Anyway, I just felt that giving vent to my anger here would turn the insult-ordeal into something a bit more laughable. After all, as somebody mentioned here, just imagine the look in the man's face if he happened to find LHC. What an lot of 'indecently long-haired freaky people' we would then be :lol:
:hmm: On second thoughts...Shouldn't that count as a huge compliment to all of us? :D

*Sorry if I don't answer more posts now, I've got to fly off to my Irish class at the moment :). Thanks again*

archel
November 2nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
OMG that makes me so mad. To one of the other commenters, I get rude comments about my pale skin too, complete strangers that shout "get some sun!!" and stuff. But then I have other people guessing my age as 25 and I am 40 years old, so F them and their stupid ideas of what is fashionable, most of them will look like old leather suitcases when they are 40. And will not have fabulous unique long hair...

Unzadi
November 2nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Not decent? As in "undressed?" But if it's braided and has a ribbon, that's dressed, and dressed is decent, isn't it? :blinks innocently:

Bah, the comment makes no sense. I would have turned around with a beaming smile and said "thank you," then gone on my merry way.

dulce
November 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately there are close minded people around ,and they can be hurtful.HUGS!

Bandia Rua
November 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Oh what can be said about rudeness that we all already dont know. Personally I love your hair and cant wait for mine to be that long! :)

Dont mind the narrowness of some peoples minds; maybe he had a wicked step mother with long hair that beat him and tainted his view of lovely healthy long hair... or maybe hes just a jerk:rolleyes:

In any way cheer up you know we all adore you and your alleged 'indecent' hair and or its green ribbon.

:flower::grouphug:

spidermom
November 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
About my hair, I heard a man say to his wife "did you get a look at her hair?" wife replied, I didn't hear. Then the man said "that's CRAZY!" That's rather ambiguous, decided to take it as a compliment.

Quetiepi
November 2nd, 2011, 12:15 PM
I love your hair. I think you are beautiful. You are one of my inspiration folks! Don't pay any attention to that man. He doesn't know what beautiful is.

heidi w.
November 2nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
In my opinion, given it was a man making the comment and he used the word "indecent" he was making a sexual inference of sorts. He meant it as a compliment, not as an insult. That's my read of his comment. A lot of people have sexual or sensual experiences or imaginations when they encounter long hair, and many can't seem to keep it on the clean side.

I offer as a suggestion that this was not an insult. He meant a kind of compliment.

There are all kinds of people in the world. Learning to recognize when someone has committed a faux pas is helpful, yet don't assume that everything is about you or so personal. He made a personal reference to his imagination and long hair, really.

My two cents. Hope you feel slightly better. He would have done better if he had just stated, "Nice hair" and left it at that. He could've tried to keep his head out of the gutter. But some people just lack social clues and grace and poise.

heidi w.

Lamb
November 2nd, 2011, 12:21 PM

This.
I simply cannot wrap my mind around the association between hair and decency.

Last I read anything about hair of a certain length not being decent was in an article about flappers - back in the 1920s when short hair came into fashion, people were all up in arms about short cuts on women indicating low morals.

But this...??? Utter nonsense, double bulls and b#llocks.

Safira
November 2nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
So rude. I canīt understand why people want to insult someone saying things like that.

lolot
November 2nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
i hate people like that why they dont mind their own business? they go saying with superiority what they think its ok and at loud so that you can hear, some people are just cruel
but dont listen to them your hair is awesome

Unofficial_Rose
November 2nd, 2011, 01:59 PM

Actually that's what I thought, like 'she's so hot it's indecent'.

sally_neuf
November 2nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
how bout' "So it's ok if I undecently punch you in the face?!?" wow... that's SO rude.
Really, you have GORGEOUS hair, groomed, and taken care of. The only thing not decent was their comment.
I know it hurts (I've been told "you're ugly" in my own face.. by a dude, does it gets more depressing (for him, from having such a low IQ!) than that?) Don't think about it, because they're no longer thinking in your hair, and it's definitely not worth the time!
Again, I LOVE your hair!

Fluffy01
November 2nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
For every one person who doesn't like your hair, there are fifty out there that do! And I am one of those! It is simply stunning, and I can't wait til mine gets that long! :flower:

Shermie Girl
November 2nd, 2011, 03:28 PM

Bwahahaha! Exactly what I was going to say. :twisted:

Curly Hermione
November 4th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I just wanted to tell you, that if your hair is indecent, I can't wait until my hair is indecent! It's gorgeous, don't let him upset you. :flower:

arwenevenstar37
November 4th, 2011, 12:32 PM
wow!!! really? not decent? mind your own business people!

Originally Posted by Anje

hehe yes indeed :) just know that you have absolutely fabulous hair adn try to ignore stupid comments :)

Lamb
November 4th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Bwahahaha! Exactly what I was going to say. :twisted:

SHERMIE!!!! Where on earth have you been??? :smooch: :joy:

Sorry, everyone. Back to your regularly scheduled Mane-ing.

SteelRose
November 5th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I totally agree! Your hair is gorgeous! Don't listen to them!

Elenna
November 6th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Your hair is stunningly beautiful. It is not worth paying attention to those who thinks it is indecent!

wtchmel
November 6th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Wtf? Seriously what does that even mean, that it's pornographic to have hair that long, that you're indecent? Sigh...... Now, he probably thought it was extremly cool, beautiful, sexy, what have you and had to say something to make his 'girl' feel better that he was oggleing(sp)/drooling......