PDA

View Full Version : Ends breaking off after switch to No Cones

Missa
July 6th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I tried to search for the answer to this without resorting to a new thread. I stopped using cones for about 3 months and although I am conditioning only instead of using shampoo my ends (damaged from bleach and chemical dyes) have started to get these little white spots. When I examine them the ends break off right at the white dot. I currently have been using Suave Naturals Coconut for the past 3 months.
I used to use Fructis Conditioner for CO ing and never had this problem. Should I switch back to Cones? I also used the colour gloss from Nice and Easy that is included in the hair dye box but is sold on it's own. I have not used chemical colour on my hair for about 3 months and have not used bleach in 6 months.
Also I have started taking salmon oil supplements around the same time I stopped using cones.
This is alot of info but I just want the best advice.

Thanks so much!!

orangeeyecrayon
July 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
i would judge your continued use of cones by how the roots like it.

and if the lack of cones on the ends bothers you and you dont want to trim them definately get some protien in them to strengthen them

Riot Crrl
July 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I was thinking the opposite actually. The Suave Coconut does not have a ton of protein, but it does have some. That might not necessarily be a problem, but it could be. Also, I like it for washing with but it is not very heavy moisture, at all. You might have to use a heavier moisture conditioner on the ends. Do you ever oil the ends or anything?

Arctic
July 6th, 2008, 10:31 PM
You could use a coney leave in in your ends if you decide to continue no-cone COing.

RavennaNight
July 6th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I went conefree for about 2 weeks last month. Although it wasn't a long time, I noticed a difference on my ends. No white dots, but quite a few splits, which resulted in an investment in good scisssssorrs and a marathon S&D session, untill my eyes got tired. (arrrrgh the tedium!) I don't obsess about cones or no cones, I just try different stuff. It is interesting, however, how cleaning the cones from your hair reveals hidden damage to your ends.

aisling
July 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I don't think your problem is really related that much to cones or protein. You wrote:

I have not used chemical colour on my hair for about 3 months and have not used bleach in 6 months.

So, you used bleach 6 months ago? There's the problem, old bleach damage that is just now starting to show. All damage don't show up immediately, but after a while it sure will.

I'd suggest pampering your ends a lot, they need moisture and they could also probably use some reconstrutive treatment, a protein treatment combined with moisture. Use cones if you need to protect your ends, a cone leave in, as Arctic suggested, is a good idea.

EvaSimone
July 7th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I have the same issue with my ends, I used to have lots of little white dots but that has calmed down quite a bit. What has really helped is a good trim but also moisture with little protein (my hair doesn't like it).

I do a mix of S&C with CO; I am cone free and the only difference I notice with cones is I have a bit more slip and my hair feels "plasticky"

I would suggest adding a deep mosturizing treatment a few times a week in the shower, I like:
Burts Bees Grapefruit and something else deep condish
and
Loreal Vive pearl protein deep condish (for some reason the proteins in this don't bother my hair)

I also put a small amount of a leave in on my ends either:
Sunflower Pudding from long lovely locks
or
A mix of FOTE aloe and one drop of jojoba oil

Also eliminating any sources of damage such as blowdrying excessive brushing etc. it will also help if you can try to wear it up as much as possible.

But as another poster has said most likely your hair is damaged from the bleach and while you can minimize the damage the only way to really help your hair is to do a trim, probably
1/4" would make a big difference.

By the way you can check your protein vs. moisture balance easily by taking a hair and stretching it. If it snaps without stretching you need more moisture, less protein. If it stretches a whole lot then you need protein with less moisture.

Also if you have gone cone free without clarifying I would definitely suggest a good clarifying wash to remove buildup.

HTH

spidermom
July 7th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I don't think the no cones routine is your problem. I think it's the bleach. As aisling said, it takes awhile for the damage to show up, and cones can and do mask damage. If cones make your hair easier to manage then by all means use them. I use cones sometimes, other times I don't. It just depends on what products are for sale when I need something. There are certain things that I like about not using cones, and there are certain other things that I like about using cones. So I switch back and forth.

Angellen
July 7th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I had a similar problem, and I also chalked it up to dye damage. I find that keeping my hair well hydrated helps a great deal. Dry ends = trouble for me. Coconut oil has really helped. :)

lilalong
July 7th, 2008, 03:45 AM
If your ends are damaged, I would put cones just into the last few inches.
Works for me.

sipnsun
July 7th, 2008, 07:13 AM
It does take awhile for damage to show up, and that's probably what you are seeing. When I use any kind of glosser (which I think you said you were using) it temporarily fuses the split ends together, until you wash again. (Anytime you see an advertisment for a product that repairs split ends, this is what it's doing.) So you probably just didn't notice before.

justgreen
July 7th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I had 2" of damaged ends when I stopped cones. I just bit the bullet, had them trimmed off, three years ago, and have only had two dustings in the time since then. My hair, after I trimmed, was BSL and has grown to tailbone length since then. Before, I could never get past BSL because of trimming all the time.

Some like cones, some do not. I'd have never been able to grow past BSL had I not removed the cones and seen the damage they were hiding.

I forgot to mention, I highlight and lowlight 3-4 times a year.

lora410
July 7th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I haven't read all of the replies so my apologies if this was already meantioned.You have to figure once you don't have cones your damage is no longer hidden. SO... it's not that non-cones are hurting your hair but the fact cones aren't coating the damage anymore and it is now visible.

LaurelSpring
July 7th, 2008, 10:23 AM
You know, I havent been able to find a cone free Suave Conditioner anywhere I have looked. I think I looked at the Coconut also. So far, VO5 and one from Sally's are the only more commercial (less expensive) ones I have been able to find other other than the more expensive Organic Health ones.

Trims and coconut oil I think helped mine out alot plus no heat appliances, updos etc.

Riot Crrl
July 7th, 2008, 02:05 PM
You know, I havent been able to find a cone free Suave Conditioner anywhere I have looked. I think I looked at the Coconut also. So far, VO5 and one from Sally's are the only more commercial (less expensive) ones I have been able to find other other than the more expensive Organic Health ones.

Trims and coconut oil I think helped mine out alot plus no heat appliances, updos etc.

Usually the Suave "Naturals" product line doesn't have cones. Their other product lines like "Professionals" do.

Cinnamon.locks
July 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hi, the same thing happened to me years ago after i had bleached my hair and colored, then 2 weeks later permed my hair. the ends basically disintegrated in my fingers. i stopped perming and bleaching and began a special routine of heavy cones and special vitamins plus alot of tender, loving care. i also found a great help; fantasia IC repair oil. it supposedly repairs the damage and helps to keep moisture in my hair, it leaves my hair very soft and even when i changed to no-cones i had great, silky feeling hair by using the IC oil. it does have cones but they wash out and as far as i have seen don't damage my fragile hair. I did go through a few months of getting used to no-cones, and i used the same condish you do. maybe since your hair demands more moisture and it is curlier than mine, it needs a different condish with special care for curlier hair?

from what you said you stopped using cones after the last color treatment, maybe your hair is simply reacting to the change which is massive after so much work done on your fragile hair, and simply needs a bit more pampering to adjust.

I cannot advise you about what else to do but find either a special oil like jojoba or almond or coconut which can help the dry ends of your hair or as i did after 1 year of no cones and some damage found due to an illness and stay in hospital for weeks, i had alot of knots in my hair and had to tear and cut them out, plus had to get a massive haircut to restart with newer, less damaged hair. so i ended going back to cones; Suave has a great proffesionals line that has worked wonders for me, it has cones, but i think it could work for you. if you desire and decide to go back to cones condish.

I mix equal amounts of suave's proffesionals extreme strength, humectant and biobasics condish and shake before using to mix them then leave the condish on for 10 minutes while showering. maybe it could help your hair retain more moisture, it all depends on what you need and what your hair demands.

There are of course other alternatives, expressed here by others, you just have to try and see what works for you better. anyway, i hope i helped in some way, good luck and hope your hair feels and reacts better.

girlcat36
July 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Cones were what were causing my hair to break off on the ends for years. I stopped cones 18 mos. ago, and no longer see the little 1/2" broken hairs on the bathroom sink when I detangle.
I think the damage is related to the bleach.

Darkhorse1
July 7th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Funny, I invested in the loreal condition and the suave and they did nothing for me.

I also used Burt's Bees conditioner and it worked when I put about a full handfull of the stuff on my ends!

For me, I'm sticking with Pantene's moisturizing renewel. I did get some Aussie Organics conditioner--no cones. Will try that tonight, but I think I'm going to keep using cones to protect my hair against the elements.

Missa
July 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I bought a pair of goody professional hair scissors and started a thorough S&D but almost every end of each hair has a tiny white dot These dots are where my hair breaks off leaving a split end. Since my hair is layered I will need to do S&D continuously for a while before I can get all the ends. In the meantime I think I will use cones until all the split ends and white dots are cut off (I am only taking about 1/16th of an inch). I am going to buy some jojoba oil today for the ends and report back in a while about how things are progressing. Thank you everyone for the good advice and information.
I don't think anyone else outside of this community understands how hair can stress me out so much with worry about having to cut!!!1
Thanks so much.