PDA

View Full Version : Updos and benefits poll

DancingQueen
November 1st, 2011, 04:34 AM
I have seen a few threads about wearing your hair up for x amount of time, and I started wondering... Does this have any benefits for your hair? Or does it damage more because you constantly mess with it?

I ask because my hair tangle a lot in winter, and as a result, I shed huge amounts when I comb my hair. But when I braid it, it always seem like I have less tangles, and I don't shed as much.

So, what is your opinion? Does wearing your hair up give any benefit, or does it make it worse? Post a comment after you vote. :)

Alaia
November 1st, 2011, 04:46 AM
Updos are primarily for reducing tangles (therefore reducing damage) as well as avoiding mechanical damage from things like seat backs, seat belts, etc. :)

WaitingSoLong
November 1st, 2011, 05:40 AM
I chose the first one, but would have chosen the fist two if I had been able to check more than one. Both are huge reasons I wear my hair up 99% of the time.

And wearing hair up doesn't mean you mess with it more...I mess with it LESS when it is up.

Amber_Maiden
November 1st, 2011, 06:22 AM
My hair becomes easier to manage, but I must say i shed much more than normal, and it gets more tangled...

CurlyMopTop
November 1st, 2011, 06:51 AM
I voted easier to manage. I would have taken option number 2 if it just stated tangles less. When I wear it in updos I get way less tangles, therefore easier to manage I guess. I haven't noticed any difference in the shed rate though. :)

Anywhere
November 1st, 2011, 06:53 AM
I didn't vote because there are also negatives for me. :eek:
I can never get my ends tucked right, they always end up bent and damaged and look like poop. Then I need to cut them off.

It does prevent tangles and my hair getting caught on/ripped out by things though. :D

pepperminttea
November 1st, 2011, 07:29 AM
I voted easier to manage. It's out of my way, it doesn't get caught on things, it tangles much less, and generally gets damaged a lot less. My ends last a lot longer after trims. My hair looks unkempt very quickly when left down; after a few minutes or a slight breeze it could be mistaken for not having been brushed for a week. :p So at work particularly, keeping it up helps me to look - dare I say it - professional.

I don't shed any more or less, but the benefit with shedding is I'm not randomly shedding everywhere, it all stays in until I take it down and detangle it, so I shed all in one place - where I comb. So it's easier to stop little dust bunnies gathering together to gang up on the vacuum. :D

Cainwen
November 1st, 2011, 07:34 AM
I voted for easier to manage because honestly that is the main reason. Yes it breaks less/tangles less, but mostly I want it out of my face, out of whatever I'm cooking or baking or knitting or crocheting at the moment. Also to keep it from catching on things (ouch).

Madora
November 1st, 2011, 08:07 AM
Definately easier to manage! If I wore my hair down, it would be like wearing a blanket, not to mention a tangled, god awful mess.

StormVixen
November 1st, 2011, 08:32 AM
My hair hates being up... I'd love to be able to wear it up but It just seems to damage it more than if its down, wild and free...