View Full Version : Do you think I should trim?

jaine
October 31st, 2011, 06:51 PM
I feel like my hair is disproportionately long in the back compared to the front. Do you agree?

I'm contemplating getting about 2 inches trimmed off the back, with a light dusting everywhere else. I know I'm on the "no trim" challenge and all that, but ... right at the end of summer growth spurt is when my hair looks the wonkiest. And winter is when it grows the slowest. If I'm going to get a nicely shaped professional haircut, I feel like fall is the perfect time do it so that the shape lasts as long as possible. Plus it will look nice for the holidays... visiting my family and all that.

Blue is where I would have it cut ... purple is APL:

By the way please ignore how frizzy my hair is. I assure you it's 110% moisturized and healthy and meticulously cared for... it's just curly hair that has been brushed and that's always a little bit crazy-looking on me.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=117630

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=117631

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=117632

Keller1128
October 31st, 2011, 06:56 PM
It looks like that's where some layers end. Are you trying to grow them all out? I think it looks fine the way it is but I agree after you drew the lines that it would look better if you trimmed it up a little. I'd recommend waiting 2 weeks though just to make sure that's what you really want to do.

amantha
October 31st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Unless if you're aiming for a blunt hemline eventually, I would say don't cut. I think your hair looks very nice the way it is. It looks like you have layers right now (I don't know if you're growing out layers?), but I've always been partial to layers. :D

Rocket22
October 31st, 2011, 07:02 PM
I think your hair looks perfect the way it is. but I totally understand wanting to trim it up if it's been awhile. You have thick enough hair that the layer doesn't make it look thin on the bottom and your ends look good so I would say no need to :)

jaine
October 31st, 2011, 07:02 PM
I feel like I need my layers right now to prevent bottom-heavy triangle head because my hair is so bushy. But I haven't decided what to do with them later. If I have it cut at the blue line, I would still have tons of layers.

turtlelover
October 31st, 2011, 07:04 PM
I honestly don't think I would change the overall shape....with your hair type, the layers and U shape look good.

PixxieStix
October 31st, 2011, 07:06 PM
I also think your hair looks fine the way it is, and that a trim is not necessary to "even it out" so to speak, because to me, the layers are supposed to make it a little uneven. :D Lol, this is so weird though, 'cause I have hair longer in the front and shorter in the back (growing out a layered bob), and several months ago had a chop in the front (2 inches, waaaaaah!) to help even things up, but the front is still longer. *shrugs* Either way, I think your hair will look great.

jaine
October 31st, 2011, 07:13 PM
This is not the response I was looking for! I need someone to tell me how wonky my hair looks! :)

:luke:

Anywhere
October 31st, 2011, 07:35 PM
I think it looks great just the way it is. :D

KwaveT
October 31st, 2011, 07:42 PM
Keep in mind that hair grows at different rates all around your head. Even if you even it up, your hair will eventually grow uneven again. New hairs are growing in your head all the time so there is no such things keeping your hair all one length. I think your hair looks fine the way it is.

heartgoesboom
October 31st, 2011, 07:44 PM
i dunno, still looks great to me!

Carolyn
October 31st, 2011, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't trim yet. Rock the layers until they get to at least mid back.

Macaroni
October 31st, 2011, 08:10 PM
I'd trim to the blue line so as to bring the hemline closer to the ends that sit on your shoulders. Keep in mind that I'm a proponent of the blunt hemline :).

Emerald88
October 31st, 2011, 08:20 PM
I think it looks great as is. Unless you want a blunt hemline I don't see any advantage to cutting at all (assuming that you want to grow longer that is).

Kelikea
October 31st, 2011, 08:26 PM
Your hair looks like it is cut similarly to mine, just shorter. It also looks pretty thick, and if you cut it, it will be even thicker, and possibly "bushier." If your goal is a longer length overall, then I wouldn't cut. If you want a blunt hemline, you could cut now, or wait until some of the shorter parts grow out. You never know, the sides might have a faster growth rate and even themselves out in time. Your hair looks healthy, so you don't really need the trim. Sorry I can't tell you how wonky it looks since it looks good!

SoulOfTheSea
October 31st, 2011, 08:27 PM
I have to agree and say it looks great as well! The layers give it some shape and balance. Once you grow it out to a longer length and the poofiness gets weighed down more, then you could probably trim out the layers if you so please. :)

Capybara
October 31st, 2011, 08:32 PM
Holy growth! I remember when your hair was a pixie. Great progress!

About a trim, if you think it looks wonky, then go for it. I don't see much difference in the layers. Would it be harder to put your hair up, if you put it up regularly, with a trim? Or would the new look be worth it to you?

CurlyCap
October 31st, 2011, 08:40 PM
I think it looks fine. It's healthy and has some layers, that's all.

I actually think, with your hair as thick and with as much texture as it has, that it would look a bit weird if you cut to get a blunter hemline. It seems like you'd end up with triangle head.

It's gorgeous. I say grow it until the ends need trimming.

spidermom
October 31st, 2011, 08:51 PM
Nope, I think it has great flow.

fairystar32
October 31st, 2011, 08:52 PM
i also think it looks nice and thick and wouldnt trim :)

torrilin
October 31st, 2011, 08:53 PM
This is not the response I was looking for! I need someone to tell me how wonky my hair looks! :)

:luke:

Dude, you're gorgeous. What the hell do you THINK we're going to say?

No trims. You said you were doing no trims, your hair looks good, and I don't see any evidence of bad stuff like splits or breakage. It's tough to make a blunt cut look good on wavy hair, so don't try for unnatural bluntness.

As far as triangle head... the only way out is through. Give it another 12" or so.

Lissandria
November 1st, 2011, 12:10 AM
I reckon don't cut it. It looks good, healthy and it flows. It just works IMO. You can always worry about the hemline later when you've got some more length. It is close enough to shoulder now that you will miss the length dearly I suspect. As some others have said- a U hemline suits curls.

Mesmerise
November 1st, 2011, 12:35 AM
I think your hair looks absolutely fine the way it is. I don't see any major wonkiness at all.

Now whether you cut off that much is totally up to you, but I think if you were to have a trim, get no more than about 1/2" off the ends! If your ends looked bad and straggly I'd agree you needed more off, but it honestly looks fine.

Ishje
November 1st, 2011, 12:42 AM
I think your hair looks great ^^ it is thick and healthy on the bottom as well.
if I where you I would wait :)

CC-Bale
November 1st, 2011, 12:53 AM
I see that its a little "wonky" from where you put the lines. But for me I see that your curl goes back in to make it look less full there. I honestly don't know curly hair and if that would make a difference if you chop that part off or would your curls change once its trimmed? I think your hair is beautiful and could be pretty with fairytail ends or a blunt end.

xoxophelia
November 1st, 2011, 01:09 AM
I personally don't think so. I also remember you may have said you want FTE at waist? If that is true, you may just not want to trim at all until then to get FTEs since your hair is thick.

MonaLisa
November 1st, 2011, 02:16 AM
Definitely no. You can trim 0.5 inch, if that will make you feel better...but you don't need that cut.
Even if you wanted to get rid of layers and even things up...that blue line is too short for curly, thick hair.

maria_tasha
November 1st, 2011, 02:52 AM
Your ends are not thin at all and it looks nice as it is but you a trim will make you happy and more at peace with your hair just do so. Nothing compares with a good trim and hair that looks neat.

oktobergoud
November 1st, 2011, 05:01 AM
Woah Jaine, your hair has gotten so long :o And it is amazing (soo thick, how could that ever be ii? :o)
Anyway, to me it looks perfectly fine :)

newbeginning
November 1st, 2011, 05:03 AM
I also think it looks fine the way it is. It looks healthy so I wouldn't trim.

*Seraphina*
November 1st, 2011, 06:35 AM
Your hair looks great! Don't cut it :)

Celtic Morla
November 1st, 2011, 06:45 AM
I don't think it looks wonky- we have been so trained to "like" an even hemline! I think it's wonderful lots of bulk and I can't imagine how thick your briad is! I would DIE to have hair thick liek that!

luluj
November 1st, 2011, 06:52 AM
I feel like I need my layers right now to prevent bottom-heavy triangle head because my hair is so bushy. But I haven't decided what to do with them later. If I have it cut at the blue line, I would still have tons of layers.

I think you need the layers too, jaine. We have a similar hair type and layers are what keep me from having triangle head.

;)

jojo
November 1st, 2011, 09:02 AM
Heck no that doesnt need cutting at all, my hair is longer in the back too as is a lot of peoples. I like your hair, its thick, its shiny and its very healthy. I think if you cut to the blue line, it would look like crystal Tips as it would look too blunt.

I vote grow it longer than apl and then see how you feel about it! if you want to even it up then go for it!

DancingQueen
November 1st, 2011, 09:11 AM
I say don't cut it. Your ends seem perfectly healthy, so unless you want them blunt, keep them the way they are. :)

lapushka
November 1st, 2011, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't trim, not that much anyhow. It's a little layered in front, but that's all, really. Besides, with your texture, layers look great at that length.

proo
November 1st, 2011, 10:02 AM
Give it a mini-trim - it'll feel alot better, (always does), prevent trianglehead and have a calming effect.

jaine
November 1st, 2011, 10:58 AM
Thank you for the responses everyone :)
I think you have convinced me not to trim yet...especially those who pointed out that my triangle-head might become more pronounced if I cut at the blue line. And I would eventually like fairytail ends...

It's average thickness 3" ponytail circumference...just really puffy and bushy when I brush it, because of my hair type.

moon2dove
November 1st, 2011, 10:58 AM
I agree with most of the opinions here about not trimming for a while yet.

Your hair looks lovely and thick and I think it's the layers catching up with the rest of your growth.

:) :)

IanB
November 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
I would say No, I think you hair is looking natural and healthy and has plenty more to grow yet - well done, Ian

CarpeDM
November 1st, 2011, 12:31 PM
I'm afraid I have to say it looks great the way it is (not wonky at all!), maybe you need just a slight trim (1/2 inch) to clean up the ends, but I don't think you need to cut any more than that.

Amber_Maiden
November 1st, 2011, 01:18 PM
I'd say don't cut it. Looks fine to me.

May
November 1st, 2011, 01:42 PM
Don't cut it. I think it's just getting longer and you're not used to the shape yet. It looks totally normal.

McFearless
November 1st, 2011, 02:15 PM
Don't trim! Curly girls gotta look out for eachother. :)

Your hair looks beautiful, and cutting will only make it harder for you to style. The layers you currently have makes everything flow. You'll have major triangle-head with ends any more blunt than this.