PDA

View Full Version : Twisted hair fork and a few questions!

cubedcoley
October 31st, 2011, 01:35 PM
Does anybody know how well something like the following works?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82956040/twisted-hair-fork-5-inch-amboyna-burl?ref=sr_gallery_29&ga_includes[0]=tags&ga_search_query=hair+forks&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

Also, I am to "can I call this BSL" stage and my spin pins are not holding all my slick 1a F hair like they used to. I purchased a horn hair fork (three tines) 1 year ago (when I thought I had enough hair to use it), but could not use it until this last week. SO COOL to reach this milestone. However, I have been on etsy looking for hair forks and I am unsure how best to invest in these toys! I think my style is best suited to the metal forks. So, with that being said, can anybody comment on their experiences? How can I make sure I buy items I will be able to wear? I am happy to spend time learning how to place them correctly, but which metal forks are best? Three tines? Two tines? Also, what about the type of metal? Is aluminum better than other types? Does anybody have advice to share a 1 year-old newbie? :confused:

Also, just thought I would mention, I did a cassia gloss last night, and it was AWESOME!:eyebrows:

Madora
October 31st, 2011, 04:04 PM
I think if I were you I'd wait until my hair was longer before investing a lot of money. Why don't you try both a two pronged and a three prong model -- but in plastic - and see how well you do managing your hair with them.

I personally would shy away from anything made of metal..unless you are able to smooth down any sharp edges you might find.

As with anything, practice makes perfect. I don't use hairforks myself because I prefer lightweight hairpins.

cubedcoley
October 31st, 2011, 04:21 PM
Do you use Amish pins? I am starting to NOT enjoy my Bobby pins.

Madora
November 1st, 2011, 03:10 PM
Do you use Amish pins? I am starting to NOT enjoy my Bobby pins.

No, I don't use Amish pins. I prefer hairpins with crimps, which I buy at Sally's beauty supply. I've also found them at Walgreens and Target. I have 2 sizes..3 inches and 2 inches. They wear like iron and when the rubber tips fall off, the pin gets tossed out.

I like the versatility of the hairpins, and the fact that they are nearly invisible if correctly inserted in the hair. I don't like anything heavy in my hair as my hair is heavy enough as it is.

To me, the style should be what catches the eye..not the hair toy.

haibane
November 2nd, 2011, 06:05 AM
They have crinkled amish pins now:
http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?item=212

I have some but I use hair forks much more. I only use the amish pins when putting up braids for a false crown braid, never use them for buns.

cubedcoley: I love metal hair forks for my hair. If you want to try metal forks on the cheap, get some double pointed knitting needles and bend them. (This is also a good way to experiment to figure out what length you prefer.) We had a discussion about them over at the "Thin/Fine Hair Thread" a few days ago:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1836031#post1836031