PDA

View Full Version : Do hair commercials piss you off?

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 11:55 AM
I get so pissed off by them!!! I know half the hair models don't really have that length of hair! I know that the commercial people use computers to make their hair look shiny... Make the colour look better, etc... And I HATE, absolutely hate, how these commercials promise things that won't happen- like "sealing" split ends, etc....

FALSE ADVERTISING... If you ask me...
:mad:

jaine
October 31st, 2011, 11:56 AM
I don't own a TV, so...no, they don't piss me off :D

joflakes
October 31st, 2011, 11:59 AM
Yes, they do. Fortunately I don't watch that much TV.

Also, mascara adverts and the like annoy me a lot, too. ALL LIES!

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 12:00 PM
Yes, they do. Fortunately I don't watch that much TV.

Also, mascara adverts and the like annoy me a lot, too. ALL LIES!

ohhh!! me too! Make up ads... don't get me started... :mad:

ssjhotau2
October 31st, 2011, 12:02 PM
I don't have commercials unless I look them up online- so I can't say they do :p

But yes- since nothing can "fix" splits- only protect against them I do think that it is false advertising and it sucks when I mention that I S&D to remove splits and random person says "oh, well I just use [insert product] and it fixes my splits." Then I inform them that its not gone- its just covered in silicone to hide the damage. Then they're either interested and I educate them a teensy bit on hair care- or they announce that their current routine works just fine thanks and I'm a hippy.

starlamelissa
October 31st, 2011, 12:03 PM
No, I don't get pissed off.

Cones seal splits temporarily, and make my hair shiny, sorta Like a hair commercial. Is it really that shiny? That long? That thick? No, It's all photoshopped.

But when I was younger, like a preteen, I would get a little insecure by fashion models and hair slash makeup ads.

Those dove " real women" commercials where they show photoshopping, healed a lot of that old hurt for me.

joflakes
October 31st, 2011, 12:04 PM
ohhh!! me too! Make up ads... don't get me started... :mad:

..breathe! Haha. They do annoy me something rotten though.

Charlotte:)
October 31st, 2011, 12:11 PM
The only thing that p***es me off about them, it that most people believe them.

bedazzlecat
October 31st, 2011, 12:11 PM
I cringe every time I see that commercial where the woman says that she uses a straightening iron on her hair "until I see smoke". And the product is suppose to repair the damage done.

No... just no.

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 12:18 PM
Thank you! I do feel so alone anymore... I just get so upset... They want women to feel bad about themselves so that they'll buy the product to "FIX" themselves... IT'S HORRIBLE!!!

nellreno
October 31st, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hair and makeup ads usually irk me. They're taken in professional studios, with good lighting and already attractive models, and then photoshopped to hell, yet promise that the average consumer will totally look just like that if they use that product. Thankfully I think most people realize just how fake the ads are.

Mascara commercials make me lol because they're so outrageous. No product is suddenly going to make you grow more eyelashes.

marioma
October 31st, 2011, 12:32 PM
yea ! it s like cheeting , they make unrealistic hair.

Buggheart
October 31st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Thank you! I do feel so alone anymore... I just get so upset... They want women to feel bad about themselves so that they'll buy the product to "FIX" themselves... IT'S HORRIBLE!!!

Yes, that. I feel so pissed sometimes that "they" seem to think everything about women needs to be fixed. Once in a while I see a commercial for Just For Men hair color but where are all the commercials for products to fix men's nose and ear hair, or smelly feet, or ads for toilet cleaning products directed at men???

You're not alone. :pumpkin:

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 12:53 PM
Yes, that. I feel so pissed sometimes that "they" seem to think everything about women needs to be fixed. Once in a while I see a commercial for Just For Men hair color but where are all the commercials for products to fix men's nose and ear hair, or smelly feet, or ads for toilet cleaning products directed at men???

You're not alone. :pumpkin:

So true! Apparently men don't have to be "fixed"... Though I will give them those ads that tell them they need to be clean shaven to look sexy to women, and those commercials where they have to smell like AX to attract a woman at all... or hey have to own a flashy car, etc.:rolleyes:

spidermom
October 31st, 2011, 12:56 PM
Nope - don't care.

We don't get T.V. here (only Netflix and DVDs), which minimizes my exposure to commercials. In magazines and such, I skim right past them. I don't remember a time that I believed the hype (maybe as a teen), and I don't much care what other people believe.

racrane
October 31st, 2011, 01:02 PM
As a young teen girl, I sure believed them. Now, I get really angry because I know so many young girls do believe.

On a similar note, I was talking to a girl yesterday who damages her hair considerably (bleaches blonde, straightens everyday, etc) and we were talking about hair products. I told her I didn't really shampoo that much anymore and never use heat styling (she seemed open otherwise I wouldn't have told her). Well, she got all defensive and said, "I'm sure the beauty companies know more about hair than I do, so I just use normal stuff. My hair looks fine."

I felt sad. A lot of people don't want to hear that beauty industry is after your money.

Carolyn
October 31st, 2011, 01:02 PM
No. I don't care enough to waste the energy getting pissed off. I know that splits can't be fixed and I know what heat styling does to hair. I just :rolleyes: and :shrug: and go on with what I'm doing. Now mascara ads are a different story :D I'm an eye make up ho and will fall for new mascaras all the time.

isabelx
October 31st, 2011, 01:09 PM
Yes!

I saw an advert the other day that said 'what can you do with curly hair? get rid of it! and then flashed a small bottle that claims to keep your hair straight for 40 days. Ermm, what's the matter with curly hair? :disgust:

I don't just hate hair commercials, mascara adverts where the models clearly have false eyelashes on, foundation adverts when their faces have been photoshopped! :justy:

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 01:13 PM
As a young teen girl, I sure believed them. Now, I get really angry because I know so many young girls do believe.

On a similar note, I was talking to a girl yesterday who damages her hair considerably (bleaches blonde, straightens everyday, etc) and we were talking about hair products. I told her I didn't really shampoo that much anymore and never use heat styling (she seemed open otherwise I wouldn't have told her). Well, she got all defensive and said, "I'm sure the beauty companies know more about hair than I do, so I just use normal stuff. My hair looks fine."

I felt sad. A lot of people don't want to hear that beauty industry is after your money.

That is sad. I have a younger sister, and I when I see her I notice what she does to her hair... She bleaches it, dyes it, straightens it, and it's like hay. She's 20, and her hair should look like her- young and fresh, but it doesn't. I hate that the beauty industry brainwashes people, especially the young and naive, or the people who lack self-esteem...
I've never really been one to go with the hype of whatever the TV is selling, because I'm educated and no better, but I feel bad for those who don't know better and are willing to part so easily with their money. I used to think that some miracle products could save my hair. I'm lucky that I found the LHCB, and that it educated me. Some aren't as lucky. :(

ravenreed
All advertising lies. I accept that, so no, it does't piss me off.

Amber_Maiden
Yes!

I saw an advert the other day that said 'what can you do with curly hair? get rid of it! and then flashed a small bottle that claims to keep your hair straight for 40 days. Ermm, what's the matter with curly hair? :disgust:

I don't just hate hair commercials, mascara adverts where the models clearly have false eyelashes on, foundation adverts when their faces have been photoshopped! :justy:

Agreed! What's wrong with wearing your hair natural??? I don't get it!

nobeltonya
October 31st, 2011, 01:16 PM
They have the world's shiniest, longest hair.. and the shampoos miraculously mend/repair 99% of split ends [by gluing them together with silicones, but they fail to mention that...]. It doesn't matter how frizzy or untamable your hair is, or that everyone has different types of hair, because everyone who uses this product will get fantastic results. Sorry. *sighs*

lizdini
October 31st, 2011, 01:17 PM
yup. Also make up ads, really sexed up clothes ads, and worse of all yogurt ads! I'm sick of a certain brand telling me I'll be thin and beautiful if only I eat their sugar/corn syrup/food dye laden "yogurt".

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 01:24 PM
yup. Also make up ads, really sexed up clothes ads, and worse of all yogurt ads! I'm sick of a certain brand telling me I'll be thin and beautiful if only I eat their sugar/corn syrup/food dye laden "yogurt".

Agh! Food commercials! Or those ads about dieting pills, etc... :rolleyes:

joflakes
October 31st, 2011, 01:26 PM
In fact, ALL adverts and commercials piss me right off, tbh!

Rhodugune
October 31st, 2011, 01:27 PM
Here is a good example how much they can change:
dove evolution (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U)

heidi w.
October 31st, 2011, 01:33 PM
There's a lot of liars in the world. heidi w.

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 01:34 PM
Here is a good example how much they can change:
dove evolution (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U)

That's so nuts!!! It's just crazy... I'm glad that it's been exposed... one of the reasons why i got out of the film industry, actually, and modeling.

pepperminttea
October 31st, 2011, 01:50 PM
Advertising, in general, bugs me. So I don't watch much TV (mostly online), I don't read magazines, and I have Ad-Block Plus on Firefox. I either skip the ads at the beginning of DVDs or mute them.

I can enable myself with things I actually want just fine, I don't need the industry to egg me on with things that I don't want (or need). :p

misspurdy06
October 31st, 2011, 01:54 PM
I've seen that commercial about "sealing" split ends. It was hilarious. If people are dumb enough to buy into it or not bother to learn about hair then they deserve to waste their money.

Bene
October 31st, 2011, 02:34 PM
I suppose I don't care enough to get pissed off over a commercial.

Then again, I tend to enjoy commercials. Especially the drug commercials :D Like, a pill for something moderately serious or uncomfortable, but the possible side effects are soooooo much worse.

Do you have a cough? here's a pill *possible side effects include cancer, rectal bleeding, blindness, sudden death*"

:laugh:

Madora
October 31st, 2011, 02:38 PM
Well, to the extent that they'd have you believe that your hair will look fantastic when you use their product! It is so slickly done that the viewer is suckered into the whole idea that she will have hair as terrific as the model in the ad.

Some people are just so desperate about the state of their hair that they'll buy into anything that makes it look "better", although "better" is merely an illusion. The hair is still full of splits, damage, when the miracle product is not applied faithfully.

I usually mute all commercials period...except for cat commercials!

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 03:25 PM
Well, to the extent that they'd have you believe that your hair will look fantastic when you use their product! It is so slickly done that the viewer is suckered into the whole idea that she will have hair as terrific as the model in the ad.

Some people are just so desperate about the state of their hair that they'll buy into anything that makes it look "better", although "better" is merely an illusion. The hair is still full of splits, damage, when the miracle product is not applied faithfully.

I usually mute all commercials period...except for cat commercials!

haha. good plan! I do mute commercials as well, but I know they are there... and I get so worried about my kids one day taking it seriously... Hopefully they won't, and I can teach them to ignore it and love themselves the way they are.

Audhumla
October 31st, 2011, 03:46 PM
It's good that the Dove campaigns have helped a few people here but . . they're still made by unilever who are responsible for things like lynx ads. Although the side effect is that some people watching Dove ads apparently feel a bit better . . . they're still selling you Dove. Maybe they have a gentle approach but in the end they're just another brand feeding off the insecurities of women to sell them yet another SLS shampoo and conditioner which is overloaded with polyquats and perfume and which personally I have only heard bad things about.

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 03:59 PM
It's good that the Dove campaigns have helped a few people here but . . they're still made by unilever who are responsible for things like lynx ads. Although the side effect is that some people watching Dove ads apparently feel a bit better . . . they're still selling you Dove. Maybe they have a gentle approach but in the end they're just another brand feeding off the insecurities of women to sell them yet another SLS shampoo and conditioner which is overloaded with polyquats and perfume and which personally I have only heard bad things about.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I like that they exposed how companies sell unreal women to women, but in the end they are just another company makes a product that could possibly cause cancer because of all the s**t in it.

MissManda
October 31st, 2011, 04:23 PM
No, hair commercials don't piss me off, but I do get a little annoyed that the hair is 'Shopped to the point where it doesn't even look like hair anymore. It just looks like a sheet of plastic. :rolleyes:

luxepiggy
October 31st, 2011, 04:39 PM
Not I, said the little piggy. I never look at ads (^(oo)^)v

Cainwen
October 31st, 2011, 05:24 PM
Not really. I like to analyze ads to death and then laugh at them. Bonus points if they contradict themselves in a 15 second space.

Kathie
October 31st, 2011, 05:31 PM
No they don't bother me. I know its all trickery so there's no need for me to get mad- I'm not about to go buy this products just because they've hired a hair model to sell their goods so I'm not going to get sucked in. Personally they're done no harm to me. But I can see how they could annoy others, people need to look at those sorts of adds objectively. Is it likely that the hair model actually uses the product they've been hired to promote, is this actual what the product will make your hair look like?... I don't think so.

Shermie Girl
October 31st, 2011, 05:33 PM
All advertising lies. I accept that, so no, it does't piss me off.

This. :D That is why I love my DVR.

Libbylou
October 31st, 2011, 06:03 PM
The only commercial(actually an infomercial) I bought into was bare minerals. I am so glad I did, love that stuff.
I guess I am the hippy, In January I decided not to use any thing on my body that I would not eat. Not that I would want to. This has spilled over into my household cleaning products also.
Think of all the money the big companies are not making from me.

irishlady
October 31st, 2011, 06:08 PM
Yes they do. The false images of beauty, the airhead girls (at least how they're told to act), hair damage....oh I could go on...

QueenOfTheSkye
October 31st, 2011, 06:13 PM
They make me sad--because I want hair like that--and then I become irritated with my own malleability.

RoseOfClare
October 31st, 2011, 06:16 PM
I hate most commercials involoving beauty and health because I know how to modify the photos like they do. It really is quiet irritating in my mind just to sell a product they need to make everything fake! I think they should use natural models or no models at all!

Lissandria
October 31st, 2011, 06:18 PM
The only thing that p***es me off about them, it that most people believe them.

This.

I guess there is no helping people who believe everything they are told, especially commercials. :rolleyes:

KwaveT
October 31st, 2011, 06:38 PM
I get sick of the advertising only because I know everybody falls for them hook, line, and sinker. It doesn't matter if it is food, drugs, cosmetics, cleaners, among others. Many of them sell a lie to just get you to spend your money. Most of my family falls for these lies too and I can't convince them otherwise. They just think I am crazy.

Raiscake
October 31st, 2011, 07:25 PM
Piss off is a strong term for it. I find it more ridiculous than anything, something to chuckle at. But I don't watch TV so I don't even see them. :P

swearnsue
October 31st, 2011, 07:41 PM
Notice how they say that their product will give you "healthy looking hair" not "healthy hair".

AlicesPlatforms
October 31st, 2011, 08:15 PM
ARG Don't get me started! False advertising is so frustrating, especially when I know I've tried the product and it sucks(like Garnier Fructis' conditioners in my experience) and they claim it will magically fix your hair!

Even though I LOVE Pantene conditioners, they had a commercial a while ago that said if you flat iron you hair everyday, that one of their conditioners will "save" your hair, and fix your split ends. I don't even blow dry my hair, so I'm not looking for sealed split ends though... xD

Modarunner
October 31st, 2011, 08:40 PM
I'm mostly mad at myself for thinking that my hair was the problem and that it was totally horrible and damaged, and that I wasn't doing something right because my hair didn't look like the ads. I know that's really pathetic and naive, but I did think that. I'm so glad that I found LHC, because everyone hear made me realize that there are different hair types out there and that we all need to work with what we have. I'm so glad that I've found healthy methods for taking care of my hair.

fairystar32
October 31st, 2011, 08:59 PM
I feel the same as this :D
No they don't bother me. I know its all trickery so there's no need for me to get mad- I'm not about to go buy this products just because they've hired a hair model to sell their goods so I'm not going to get sucked in. Personally they're done no harm to me. But I can see how they could annoy others, people need to look at those sorts of adds objectively. Is it likely that the hair model actually uses the product they've been hired to promote, is this actual what the product will make your hair look like?... I don't think so.

ddiana1979
October 31st, 2011, 10:59 PM
I just don't like it when they promise things that aren't possible. . . like fixing split ends or repairing damage. At least be honest about what your product can do.

I hate the mascara adds that promise "fake lash fullness (or length) without fake lashes" and then show girls who OBVIOUSLY have fake lashes.

Just don't lie to me. That's all I ask. I realize there's no such thing as a miracle product, so tell me what your product ACTUALLY does, and leave it at that.

Rybe
October 31st, 2011, 11:32 PM
I hate the mascara adds that promise "fake lash fullness (or length) without fake lashes" and then show girls who OBVIOUSLY have fake lashes.

Actually...to give these people the benefit of the doubt, I NEVER wear makeup and have what appear to be average/long lashes...then one day recently I wore mascara and I looked like I'd slapped on fake lashes, it was horrifying :run: Apparently my eyelashes reach my eyebrows. No wonder I have problems with them hitting my glasses. The mascara just highlighted my already long but pale and thin lash-ends...if that makes sense. But I'm well aware I'm in the minority. But it can happen!!

Of the evils among advertisements, hair adds tend to get on my nerves less than many others. Like prescription drug adds (the evil of evils) and adds directed at "moms" generally for inane crap or cleaning products. Because men can't clean. And if you don't use our mop your baby will die and you are a terrible mother! Hate it so much...

UltraBella
October 31st, 2011, 11:51 PM
Actually...to give these people the benefit of the doubt, I NEVER wear makeup and have what appear to be average/long lashes...then one day recently I wore mascara and I looked like I'd slapped on fake lashes, it was horrifying :run: Apparently my eyelashes reach my eyebrows. No wonder I have problems with them hitting my glasses. The mascara just highlighted my already long but pale and thin lash-ends...if that makes sense. But I'm well aware I'm in the minority. But it can happen!!

My daughter's eyelashes reach her eyebrows too ! They curl just perfectly and she has tons of them, it's so not fair !! So, yes, I think some of the gals in mascara commercials may have naturally amazing lashes, just because my daughter does.

And many of the hair models do have beautiful hair. I have worked on several commercials as a makeup artist and not everything is as photoshopped as some people like to assume. There are certainly beautiful women with long, awesome hair walking the streets in real life. On a good day, my hair could be right out of a "Pantene" commercial and I have had people assume I have extensions or a photo is manipulated, but it's not. The wild claims of repair, etc... are what get me irritated with commercials.

luxepiggy
October 31st, 2011, 11:56 PM
My daughter's eyelashes reach her eyebrows too ! They curl just perfectly and she has tons of them, it's so not fair !! So, yes, I think some of the gals in mascara commercials may have naturally amazing lashes, just because my daughter does.

And many of the hair models do have beautiful hair. I have worked on several commercials as a makeup artist and not everything is as photoshopped as some people like to assume. There are certainly beautiful women with long, awesome hair walking the streets in real life. On a good day, my hair could be right out of a "Pantene" commercial and I have had people assume I have extensions or a photo is manipulated, but it's not. The wild claims of repair, etc... are what get me irritated with commercials.

True! I could probably make a fortune selling flat irons - people ask me for recommendations constantly. I've had several people argue with me that "nobody's hair actually grows that straight" and I'm like . . .uhhhh . . . right, of course! I must have been sleep-ironing again . . . hehe (^(oo)^)v

candycandace
November 1st, 2011, 12:14 AM
Eh, they don't really bother me. I used to work at a beauty store so I already know what kinds of hair products do and don't work. There are products high in silicone that actually can seal your split ends for a few days, but they don't actually heal your hair because your hair isn't alive and can't be healed. Not all adverts lie. Not all stuff that is mass produced is bad for hair.

spike316
November 1st, 2011, 12:59 AM
Meh they don't really bother me as the only form of "advertising" that I really pay attention to is all the enabling that goes on here! :D The only thing that bothers me is when people believe the advertising and then think I'm weird or a dirty hippy when I mention I don't wash my hair daily/am experimenting with shampoo bars/castile soap/whatever. I may very well be a hippy, but I'm certainly not a dirty one!:)

Snippety
November 1st, 2011, 02:59 AM
They tend to make me laugh - especially the one that says "nutrisse means nourish" when it doesn't mean anything at all ! it's just a made up word. I'm also puzzled by the fragrance ads where the women are running round like crazy people - what are they supposed to be doing ? This one for instance http://vimeo.com/28099717

Also some of the terminology is hilarious if you think about it - "colossal" or "telescopic" lashes. And that foundation that comes with its own little paint roller. Mental.

I do get annoyed by the slimming ones, especially since my four year old said to me last week "do *you* need to lose weight fast ?" (I am an English size 10 !).

PorkChop
November 1st, 2011, 04:01 AM
Yes. Theres one out at the moment I really hate. I think it might be a dye ad. Theres a brunette, blonde and a redhead walking down a street. Nobodies hair looks like that in real life! Hair like that cant exist!

Rosetta
November 1st, 2011, 04:04 AM
ALL commercials piss me off!! :wink: I mean, usually I just avoid watching them, as much as I can, but even when I fast forward them they still manage to annoy me... Everything about them is so false; the whole idea of ads, of course, is based on playing on people's insecurities, needs and the like, and that's what makes them so disgusting and horrid. And of course the beauty ads are in a class of their own... *shudder*

There was a (kind of) document here on tv a while ago, titled (translated into English) "Advertisements lie to us", it showed some of the tricks they use and how false are the claims they make. Of course that was just the tip of the iceberg... And obviously I knew this before, but it just confirmed and strengthened my views on how despicable ads are. And the worst thing of course is that many believe (at least part of) what ads tell you, how you should live your life, what to think, etc...

They tend to make me laugh - especially the one that says "nutrisse means nourish" when it doesn't mean anything at all !
Oh yeah, even the idea that a hair dye could actually "nourish" hair, when actually it damages it, uhh... Don't get me started!

Slinks
November 1st, 2011, 04:13 AM
I'm also puzzled by the fragrance ads where the women are running round like crazy people - what are they supposed to be doing ? This one for instance http://vimeo.com/28099717

couldn't she have worn some better looking undies ???????? :rolleyes:

Avital88
November 1st, 2011, 05:00 AM
welcome to the wonderfull world of fakeness:)) i get more pissed of by commercials with 15 y o models in it showing 'grown woman' clothing..

noelgirl
November 1st, 2011, 05:06 AM
The weird thing about advertising is that working in retail, I indirectly participate in it. On the sales floor, we are expected to wear our brand's clothing (we are provided with pieces, so they're not making us spend our money on it, although we do get a tempting discount as well). Now, I'm not the 6-foot glamazon model who got pulled from the catalog because customers complained that the way the clothes looked on her was unrealistic, but our clientele is mostly about my parents' age, so I have gotten the occasional "well, of course it looks good on you." I try to mitigate that by pointing out similarities where they exist - "we're about the same height/shape/coloring, that might work on you too."

Ultimately, though, we are trying to sell something, but people come into the store voluntarily. What bothers me is when advertising is so aggressive that it interrupts what you were doing - when someone flags you down in the street when you're just trying to get from A to B, or when you're trying to get to a web page but the pop-over ad blocks the content.

WaitingSoLong
November 1st, 2011, 05:09 AM
Nope - don't care.

We don't get T.V. here (only Netflix and DVDs), which minimizes my exposure to commercials. In magazines and such, I skim right past them.

Ditto.

Yet I will say that the advertising industry makes me irritated in general (not hair stuff, just STUFF). But I agree with those who said it is not just the marketing that irritates me, but that there are people out there who blindly believe anything.

Thanks for reminding me why I moved away from civilization.

Celtic Morla
November 1st, 2011, 06:33 AM
WHEN MY DH was in college he had to read a book titled "More Work for Mother" that showed how the creation of gadgets actually made it harder for women int hehome. The class also talked about how PR got started and it was to convince the public how they NEEDED the products being hawked. Advertising agencies have it good because our whole system is set up to make us feel unworthy if we don't consume. A lot fo your outlook is created by your parents so if your Mother is into the hype cahnces are you will grow up feeling th esame. It's breaking the cycle. But then again most fo the LHC'ers have already seen thru the hype and realized that there is no TRUTH in advertising! So we are ahead of the game

and Yes it ticks me off royaly when I run into stupid commercials(I don't have TV but now you get them on the Net when you are trying to see things!) and I am always amazed at how far and ridiculous soem of the claims are. Or the obnoxiousnous that is runnign rampant thru them!

Safira
November 1st, 2011, 09:45 AM
No, I donīt get pissed. They are just illusions, nothing more or less.

sisi33
November 1st, 2011, 10:02 AM
Some of them make me annoyed- but now that we've gone to digital TV, we don't get to see any, so it doesn't matter that much. But I WILL NOT buy a product that says anything about me "having" or "needing" to own it. Juts on principle, I refuse to get involved with something that's trying to tell me what I should or should not do- yes, I will cut my nose of to spite my face (HA! Take that, Logic!)! I know what my hair likes and 90% of the time, it will not like what you do to it! GET AWAY KIOSK PEOPLE!

On the other hand, some of them are just funny, and strangely enough, I love watching the Wen commercials. Mostly it's a love of infomercials, though...

Mayflower
November 1st, 2011, 10:27 AM
They don't piss me off because I'm just not influenced by them.
I also find that the best brands (for me anyways) don't do commercials. Like Lush or Klorane for example, or MAC make-up wise. These are the brands I stick with and once I find a holygrail-product, I don't feel the urge to go try something else just based on commercials.

I don't care if other people believe these commercials -it's just a sign they feel a void they need to fill. If you're truly happy with yourself, you shouldn't feel the need to buy all the newest stuff just so you can feel "happy" and "confident" about yourself. No product is going to make you feel happy about yourself.

Rosetta
November 1st, 2011, 11:36 AM
Some of them make me annoyed- but now that we've gone to digital TV, we don't get to see any
How is that possible..? Believe me, I'd love that, but over here we get just as many commercials on tv as ever - it's all digital here now, analogue was phased out in 2008. The one improvement is though that if you record a program (with a recording digibox), you can fast-forward the commercials, which I always do :)

Advertising agencies have it good because our whole system is set up to make us feel unworthy if we don't consume.
Yeah, tell me about it!! I can't even begin to tell how much I hate all the consumerism in today's society...

What bothers me is when advertising is so aggressive that it interrupts what you were doing - when someone flags you down in the street when you're just trying to get from A to B, or when you're trying to get to a web page but the pop-over ad blocks the content.
Again, tell me about it... Especially the former is my pet hate - I just can't stand people trying to flag one down in street/mall etc, it's a form of harassment, and I always make a point in not paying any attention to them, and yet they still come after me, harassers as they are... That kind of ultra-aggressive marketing should be forbidden!

maborosi
November 1st, 2011, 11:40 AM
I pretty much don't care. I'm always captivated by the (digitallyenhanced) super shiny hair, though.

If people want to believe using a flat iron on their hair is good for it, that's their prerogative. I'm a big consumer, personally, but I research pretty much everything I buy to see if it's worth my money. The whole advertising industry is blatantly sexist and objectifies women, I don't really feel too fazed when I just see an ad on tv with some woman with extensions flipping her hair around, lol.

If people want to trash their hair, good for them. More hair compliments for people like me who actually take care of it. :cheese:

~maborosi~

moxamoll
November 1st, 2011, 11:48 AM
How is that possible..? Believe me, I'd love that, but over here we get just as many commercials on tv as ever - it's all digital here now, analogue was phased out in 2008. The one improvement is though that if you record a program (with a recording digibox), you can fast-forward the commercials, which I always do :)
!
I think by "digital" she's referring to a service like NetFlix, which delivers the programs on-demand over a streaming internet connection. No ads!

jeanniet
November 1st, 2011, 12:37 PM
Not really, but then I don't pay much attention to commercials anyway. I always read or do puzzles during them. I don't remember the last hair commercial I saw--I never buy the products, so the information goes in one ear and out the other.

Commercials are there to create a need where none exists. Hair product commercials aren't really any worse than all the other commercials.

Curly Hermione
November 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM
I can't stand the hair commercial's! (or adverts, as we say over here :)). The frizz ease 3 days straight one at the moment actually says:
"What can you do with curly, frizzy hair? Make it go away!"
The model has quite nice, at least not bad (i'd be quite happy if my hair went like that, as it sometimes does, all big and funky) curly hair that has probably been curled to look like that anyway, and after that line in the voiceover she has straight, and i'm guessing, fake photoshopped hair.
Seriously, search it.:mad:
It makes me so angry, which was made worse the other day when my brother turned to me and said, completely sincerely, "Maybe you should use that Megan"
:angry:
All the straightening and split-end healing hype really annoys me, it's led people to believe that's what proper hair care entails, and it fuels all the curl bashing as well.

Sorry for the long post, I must feel really strongly about this!:D

(Oh, although i did like the dove advert to my favourite things, just 'cause i thought it was really cute what they'd done with the song!)

XcaliburGirl
November 1st, 2011, 12:53 PM
I love the ones that show someone with curly or wavy hair and call it "wild, frizzy hair" and then someone with straight hair and call it "limp, lifeless hair". Then by the end of the infommercial they basically look liked they've swapped hair, but the straight-to-wavy person now has "wavy hair with great body" and the wavy-to-straight person has "smooth, sleek hair".

Amber_Maiden
November 1st, 2011, 01:20 PM
I can't stand the hair commercial's! (or adverts, as we say over here :)). The frizz ease 3 days straight one at the moment actually says:
"What can you do with curly, frizzy hair? Make it go away!"
The model has quite nice, at least not bad (i'd be quite happy if my hair went like that, as it sometimes does, all big and funky) curly hair that has probably been curled to look like that anyway, and after that line in the voiceover she has straight, and i'm guessing, fake photoshopped hair.
Seriously, search it.:mad:
It makes me so angry, which was made worse the other day when my brother turned to me and said, completely sincerely, "Maybe you should use that Megan"
:angry:
All the straightening and split-end healing hype really annoys me, it's led people to believe that's what proper hair care entails, and it fuels all the curl bashing as well.

Sorry for the long post, I must feel really strongly about this!:D

(Oh, although i did like the dove advert to my favourite things, just 'cause i thought it was really cute what they'd done with the song!)

Nice to find someone like me :D

MissManda
November 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM
I love the ones that show someone with curly or wavy hair and call it "wild, frizzy hair" and then someone with straight hair and call it "limp, lifeless hair". Then by the end of the infommercial they basically look liked they've swapped hair, but the straight-to-wavy person now has "wavy hair with great body" and the wavy-to-straight person has "smooth, sleek hair".

This! I can't help but laugh inside when commercials contradict themselves like that.

blondie9912
November 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
What bothers me is when they show an ad for some sort of heat protection spray, and say things like 'Curly? Straight? Wavy? Whichever way you choose to wear your hair today, such and such spray will protect it from damage!'

Um, hello, a spray CANNOT protect your hair from the damage of a 400 degree hot tool! I am well aware of the structure of hair and the contents of heat-protection sprays, and I agree they can provide SOME level of protection, but not enough that someone can heat style their hair EVERY SINGLE DAY and still have hair worthy of an advertisement. Ridiculous!

sisi33
November 1st, 2011, 03:18 PM

What I meant was... We don't get any television... Period.

Also, searching through YT has me cringing most of the time, as everyone's' throwing around hot irons, flat irons, crimpers, hairspray. Gah! Can't I find something that doesn't need all that help to work?!

Orangerthanred
November 1st, 2011, 04:49 PM
Sorta... but most of the models in the commercials wear wigs, and it's quite obvious so I don't get too mad.

jacqueline101
November 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM
I hate the false advertisements the way they show stunt doubles. I don't like how they use the watcher with their claims and when you buy the products you don't get any results.

HintOfMint
November 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
I get really annoyed when they throw out numbers like "10X smoother than the regular leading brand" and show a photograph of shampoo-ed hair without conditioner, and a photo using the advertised product. Of course unconditioned hair is going to look rough! Of course conditioned hair is going to look smooth! They don't even compare the same situation. Of course they'll say that the "bad" picture was of just shampooed and not conditioned hair, in teeny tiny print.

I understand the need for advertisement, but that is just unnecessary at best, and damn close to a bold-faced lie at worst. In any case, advertisements work because of repeated exposure to the product, not because you convince the consumer with logic that the product makes your hair 10 times smoother than the frictionless book from the Magic Schoolbus. So why do they bother?

archel
November 1st, 2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah, they make me mad and so do mascara commercials with fake eyelashes. I was in Target today and there was freakin' Katy Perry above all the mascara wearing those big honkin' drag queen fake eyelashes. And I'm supposed to believe it's all Maybelline...whatever...

SilentGuardian
November 1st, 2011, 09:04 PM
Not so much the commercials, but the ads in magazines that annoy me, especially ones promising to fix split ends. And those eyelash ones annoy me too! Why does the thickness and length really matter so much? Some of them list blindness, or permanent spots on the eyes as a side-effect

Yame
November 1st, 2011, 09:19 PM
Most commercials piss me off. Thankfully, I don't watch TV, but sadly ads are creeping into a lot of videos online, as well.