PDA

View Full Version : Any of you dye your eyebrows?

Kapri
October 31st, 2011, 12:38 PM
I foolishly put on my reading glasses when doing a facial and along with all the other distressing facial detail, pores, dry areas etc, noticed that I am getting white hairs amongst my eyebrow hairs.

Because I am not a reneegrey, au naturel creature at the moment, I would value any tips for keeping my eyebrows their usual very dark blonde colour (they look mid brown).

Thanks!

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 12:44 PM
I used to henna my eyebrows, and once or twice dyed them... But I have to tell you, for some reason the dye in my eyebrows never lasted as long as it did on my head... Like within a week or two it was gone! Maybe it was just me?
I also didn't like having the dye so close to my eyes. Made them sting...
I hope you have better luck then me if you decide to go through with it, but I personally think that f someone is that close to you (as in they notice a white hair or two in your eyebrows) then they are standing way too close to you and care way too much if they mention it.

Kapri
October 31st, 2011, 02:17 PM
Amber Maiden,

This made me laugh. Thank you!!! Oh dear. I pulled one out you see and then realised that I would no brows left if I carried on.

Kapri

SwordWomanRiona
October 31st, 2011, 02:21 PM
When I henna'ed for the second time back in January I put some henna in my eyebrows too. They hardly changed colour, maybe because they're so dark, maybe because the henna I used wasn't very good or fresh :rolleyes:.
I wouldn't dye my eyebrows with a chemical dye, it is way too dangerous for one's eyes, though!! Henna is OK, I think, as long as you take some care and don't let the mud go near your eyes.

Carolyn
October 31st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Yes, I have mine dyed quite often. I have very few brow hairs with much color to them anymore. I have them dyed about once a month at the salon where I get my nails done. The color doesn't last as long as my hair dye. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I wash my face twice a day. I'm careful not to scrub at my brows while they still have color from the dye. I think they look great when they are dyed and it's not a big expense to get it done. It's $15 if I recall correctly. FWIW I use a cheap Rimmel brow product that is supposed to encourage brow hair growth. It seems to be working for me. I got my brows dyed about a week ago and I was shocked at how many brow hairs showed up with the dye :thumbsup:

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 02:32 PM
Amber Maiden,

This made me laugh. Thank you!!! Oh dear. I pulled one out you see and then realised that I would no brows left if I carried on.

Kapri

haha! No prob! :) It's what I always tell myself when I see something small that I don't like about myself and want to 'fix'.

CurlyZ
October 31st, 2011, 02:40 PM
Yes, I get mine dyed every two months. Brows and lashes. They do it at a salon here.
It lasts for about 6 - 8 weeks and looks really nice.
I get my lashes dyed in deep black and my brows in a light brown (to match my hair).
At my last visit I've realized they use a German brand of dye, which you can buy at almost every drugstore in Germany for quite cheap.
Here they charge you around 35$ per session.

Kapri
October 31st, 2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks for further information...

Just a final question..do you girls who do dye worry about it getting in your eyes?

Kapri

Carolyn
October 31st, 2011, 03:53 PM

Just a final question..do you girls who do dye worry about it getting in your eyes?

KapriNo I never worry. I don't think the brow dye is that near my eyes. I get my lashes dyed too. I don't worry about that either and that dye is much nearer my eyes. I'm a person who doesn't look for things to worry about :shrug: I'm just happy it's possible to do something about my dreadful blonde brows and lashes.

luxepiggy
October 31st, 2011, 04:27 PM
I've been smudging a bit of hair dye on my eyebrows with a spoolie every time I redye my hair (^(oo)^)v

CurlyZ
October 31st, 2011, 04:40 PM

Kapri

When they do eyebrows they just apply a small amount with a Q-tip so the brows are wet. Nothing drips and gets in the eyes.
When they do the lashes, they apply a little vasoline/lotion under the eye, then they stick a small round piece of paper on that and push it under your lower lashes.
Then you close your eyes and they apply the dye on your upper eyelashes (the dye will get even the lower lashes). You keep your eyes closed all the time until they remove the dye with a wet cotton pad.
If you are lucky, nothing gets in the eye.
I get them dyed for years now and yes, it also happened that I got it in the eyes.
It burns like hell!!! You have to wash your eyes out with a lot of water and for the rest of the day you'll look like a raccoon (eyes get REALLY RED).
But the next day you'll be fine!

bondeandeebowl
October 31st, 2011, 07:23 PM
I do it with box dye. My eyebrows are really sparse, and it makes them look a lot thicker! As someone else mentioned, though, it wears off really fast. Like within a week..... so I do it on special occasions.

cmg
October 31st, 2011, 08:31 PM
I guess that's why people tattoo their eye brows :o

I have henned my eyebrows several times but never gotten really satisfied with the results. It fades fast anyway.

Kapri
November 1st, 2011, 03:26 AM
Oh ok..thank you all.

This is all really helpful. Good to hear how brow and eyelash dyeing are done at the beauty therapists...

It sounds like that is the longest lasting approach and then other approaches, box dye and henna etc only last for around a week.

I wonder why that is? Probably perspiration, coarser hair texture , face washing...

Brow tattooing doesn't appeal but I can see now why people do it.

I have rediscovered one of those brow mascaras in my cosmetics stash. It is by Bobbi Brown and in 'mahogany', a mid, slightly warm brown. I am going to experiment with that later today and see if it coats the white hairs.

I am not averse at all to getting them dyed professionally, I'll see how it goes the first time.

I don't want them to look too dark so will be careful to ask for the most subtle effect...

But I like the colour of my brows naturally ..I only really want the white bits done ...

Brow balayage anyone???

x

Mesmerise
November 1st, 2011, 04:59 AM
I use a brow/lash dye to do my eyebrows. I am too freaked at the thought of doing my own lashes though, in case it gets in my eyes!

When made up it's very thick and not runny at all, so there's no danger of it running into my eyes (from my eyebrows).

My eyebrows are quite sparse, and while it doesn't help with the sparseness, it does help my eyebrows show up a bit more!!

I'm interested in that eyebrow growth product!! Is it the same as the type used for lashes? I'm trying one out now, because I don't have great lashes either, but I'd love it if it worked to fill in my brows!! If they were thick enough, I doubt I'd bother dyeing them at all.

Kapri
November 1st, 2011, 05:05 AM
I imaging that it is this Rimmel product..I want to get some too!!!

Lash Accelerator Serum
and fortifying gel helps to support healthy lash & brow growth

New Lash Accelerator Serum with GROW-LASH Complex helps to support the natural growth of beautifully long, remarkably strong lashes. With a unique hybrid applicator for precise application to lashes, lash line or brows!Lash Accelerator Serum with GROW-LASH Complex:- Around-the-clock conditioning and fortifying gel helps to support healthy lash & brow growth- Shapes, separates and sets lashes and brows into place- Improves the ... (Kapri note:can't get the text to appear in the web page)

http://www.rimmellondon.com/us/en/products/lash-accelerator-serum/

infinity_girl
November 1st, 2011, 05:44 AM
I dye my eyebrows about every 6 weeks as they are very blonde and sparse and I look like an alien if I don't. I use the little peroxide and dye kits that you can get in most pharmacies or in Sallys. I think it works really well and is much cheaper than getting it done professionally. I have been doing it for years now so am a bit of a pro. I just wish I could make my eyebrows a bit thicker overall.

Kapri
November 1st, 2011, 07:13 AM
Infinity Girl..I'm in London too..if we ever make any of the meet ups, you'll have to describe your technique!! Thanks!

Carolyn
November 1st, 2011, 08:20 AM
My eyebrows are quite sparse, and while it doesn't help with the sparseness, it does help my eyebrows show up a bit more!!

I'm interested in that eyebrow growth product!! Is it the same as the type used for lashes? I'm trying one out now, because I don't have great lashes either, but I'd love it if it worked to fill in my brows!! If they were thick enough, I doubt I'd bother dyeing them at all.I've had good luck with the lash growth products so when I found the Rimmel lash accelerator stuff I got it. It wasn't expensive. I think it was less than $10 at Walmart. The Rimmel Lash Accelerator can be used on lashes too. It's got a double duty wand. It has ridges on the wand. That's the part you are supposed to use to apply it to your lashes. There is a little brush on the end for applying it to your brows. I'm using LiLash on my lashes with very good results. LiLash makes a product for brows but I decided to try the cheap stuff first as the LiLash lash stuff is quite expensive. I've been using the Rimmel stuff twice a day for a couple of months. When I got my brows dyed last week I couldn't believe the difference. I haven't seen an over the counter lash or brow product that claims to restore color to brows or lashes. They claim to promote long and thicker lashes and brows and in my experience, the do just that. Latisse, the prescription product, does claim to restore darker lashes. I have no problem with lash and brow dye so I prefer the OTC products.

RoseOfClare
November 1st, 2011, 08:52 AM
Im fairly certain that the dye doesn't last as long on eyebrows is because they shed faster than the hair on your head does. It's something I've noticed. Gathered I do not dye my eye brows, but I wouldnt reccomend using chemicals near them my friend did that and got nasty burns. Her skins quiet sensitive.

GeoJ
November 1st, 2011, 08:54 AM
One of my friends has eyebrows that are naturally the same color as her skin (so she looks like she has no eyebrows naturally). She uses brown mascara on her eyebrows every morning. It works really well for her, and until I saw her doing it, I didn't even notice that it wasn't natural.

I don't have whites in my eyebrows yet, but I will most likely dye them when they do start getting white hairs.

jackie_brown
November 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM
After i have begun hennaing my hair, i saw that my natural light ash blonde eyebrows didn't fit my copper/mahogany hair :(, so i decided to dye them.
I tried to use henna but eyebrows seemed to not to absorb the color, so i switched to chemical hair color from an hairdresser supply shop :o
I bought the 'tobacco blonde' color (that is a dark blonde with some copper in it) and it suits very well my hennaed hair color :)
I don't know why, but the dye on eyebrows lasts only for 1 or 2 weeks (i read that someone of you had this problem too).

Carolyn
November 1st, 2011, 10:08 AM
I think our brows and lashes are a coarser type of hair than we have on our heads. It seems to be dye resistant. I try not to scrub at my brows and lashes when they are freshly dyed. This helps a little.

artemisjade
November 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM
I used to have my eyebrows bleached when I was bleaching my hair. It really wasn't bad.

I didn't notice them growing out faster than my roots grew, but my hair grows kind of fast.

Kapri
November 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM
I tried some of my old brow mascara today. I must say when used with subtlety it really wakes my face up and gives it definition. I think it's a really positive difference. I really don't like having white bits in my eye brows - it kind of makes it pointless that I am taking such care to remain a dark blonde/mid-brown haired older woman.... But I was encouraged by Amber Maiden's funny comment about someone needing to be very close indeed to notice in the first place....

Silverdragn7385
November 1st, 2011, 12:16 PM
Back when I used to dye my hair black, I dyed my eyebrows...the color lasted less than a week. Now, I don't dye my hair anymore, but I've noticed that my eyebrows seem to be lighter than they used to be...so I decided to start using an eyebrow pencil/gel. I'd love the gel better if it didn't clump up after a while. :/

MinderMutsig
November 1st, 2011, 12:20 PM
I dye my brows myself with professional eyebrow and eyelashes dye.

I don't do the lashes though. I did try it once or twice but I'm not impressed with the results, it stings like a mofo when you get it in your eye and I know someone who has permanently damaged her retina by getting the dye in her eye so it's just too risky for me. I wouldn't recommend dying your lashes to anyone. It's your eyes! It's really not worth risking going blind or damaging your eyes just so you don't have to take 2 minutes a day to apply mascara.

vampyredolly
November 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
Bleached but it grew out fast! :(

I would love to just have to dye them but ..naturally black brows.

cmg
November 1st, 2011, 05:45 PM
BS wash before henna? Could this work?

Rini
November 1st, 2011, 08:26 PM
I used to henna them when I was a henna head. Then I would get them dyed professionally. Then I bought the professional stuff and did it myself. Now I buy a regular box dye in a dark blonde colour and do it myself at home. It works out to just cents per time instead of the $15 or so it used to cost.

As for eyelashes, I always get them done at a salon because it's something that could be dangerous if I try to do it myself :)

Kapri
November 2nd, 2011, 06:16 AM
Rini,

If you're still around ..how long does a box dye last on your eyebrows and do you leave it on for the full 30 minutes or so?

Kapri

cmg
November 2nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
Are you talking about box dyes for head-hair? :surprise:

Kapri
November 3rd, 2011, 05:38 AM
I think people are talking about box dyes for head hair... yes. I hadn't thought of that either.

cmg
November 3rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
In that case, how do you go about it? One squirt of each (dye cream + developing cream)? Do you toss the leftover or save it for later use?

EDIT
European dye products may have different composition and methods than in the US, even if they are of the same brand. I will have to take that into consideration, while reading your answers.

Rocket22
November 3rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
I'm probably the only person I know that actually has their eyebrows lightened. I have very very dark brows, even much darker than my hair. It looks better to have them lighten up a tad to a nice warm brown. Took me forever to find someone that would lighten brows.

cmg
November 3rd, 2011, 06:25 PM
I know a guy who did that! He had light blonde hair, a fiery red beard and pitch black eyebrows. Looked too funny, according to him :D

Slinks
November 3rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
I am a Renegray on my head but my eyebrows are NOT part of this bargin !! I tint my eyebrows and eyelashes with a special tinting package made for eyebrows and eyelashes :-)

Chamy
November 6th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I dye my eyebrows since they are almost blonde, and i look better with a bit more eyebrows. Its easy and it looks good, so i think it's worth it. :)

RedheadMistress
November 6th, 2011, 03:24 AM
- I used to dye my eyebrows with the little eyebrow coloring kits you can buy at make up stores and when I had really bright red hair the first time, I bleached and dyed my brows bright red too, just because I like really pronounced eyebrows and have it naturally :P