PDA

View Full Version : Hair Dye?

Pixie0763
October 31st, 2011, 11:24 AM
I've gone to my natural color & CO washings over the last year, and my hair feels really healthy. I have a light sprinkling of stark white & very shiney sparkles throughout my hair; they're well deserved at age 48.

My husband & daughter think the sparkles make me look older than I am, and are encouraging me to dye my hair.

I'm not opposed to coloring my hair IF it doesn't damage it or change the texture. Whether store bought or done at the salon, hair color has always dried my hair AND no matter what color I start out with (including ash shades), it fades very brassy orange.

So my questions are:

Can I dye it without dryness &/or damage?
Is there a way to keep my dark brown & not fade to orange?

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 11:29 AM
hmmmm.... first off, I just have to say that you should only dye your hair if YOU want to do it. I personally don't think looking older is a bad thing. I think looking older being a bad thing is a problem created in our society in order to sell more products and make people spend more money...
That being said, if you want to dye it, I personally would go with an organic plant based dye. I'm not sure if it will cling to the grey hairs as well, but it might. I believe henna clings very well to grey hairs, but that will give you an orange tinge. If you have very dark hair, which from your avatar I think you do, you might want to look into indigo. It sticks very well, just like henna, but with no orange tint.
If you really want a dye, you could look at Palette by Nature- organic, plant based, and chemical free! It shouldn't damage at all/very very little.
What you should know is that with dying your hair comes upkeep... Your looking at dying your hair every 3 weeks to make sure you can't see grey coming in...

Good luck! Hope this helps!

luxepiggy
October 31st, 2011, 03:18 PM
The answer to both question is yes - just use a semi-permanent / deposit-only dye. Zero damage, and the dyed colour will fade right back to your original shade. I really like the Adore (http://creativeimagesystems.com/adore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=60) brand - easy to use, smells pleasant, doesn't stain my skin, and leaves my hair quite shiny afterwards. They have a pretty extensive colour selection - swatches are on the website. They also have an Adore Plus line which is supposed to be better for grey coverage (^(oo)^)v

spidermom
October 31st, 2011, 03:23 PM
Wow luxepiggy; pretty colors, although almost nothing in blonde! It looks like a good solution for Pixie0763 however.

luxepiggy
October 31st, 2011, 09:49 PM
Wow luxepiggy; pretty colors, although almost nothing in blonde! It looks like a good solution for Pixie0763 however.

Fear not! There are some blonde choices in the Sebastian Cellophanes (http://www.sebastianprofessional.com/en_US/products/salon_services/product.jsp?id=100060) line!(^(oo)^)v
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/SEBASTIAN-CELLOPHANES-CLEAR-300-ML__5484.jpg

Pixie0763
November 1st, 2011, 05:40 AM
Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I knew if there was a way to color my hair without damage, I'd find it here. :cheese:

AlicesPlatforms
November 1st, 2011, 06:04 AM
I would try out Demi permanent hair color, I know a lot of people who cover their gray with it. Demis are not permanent and will not make your hair dry. I know we have socolor (matrix) at my school, but there are plenty of other ones out there! :)

Celtic Morla
November 1st, 2011, 06:20 AM
Sage will darken hair. You can add the sage water you make up to anything you use or as a rinse and over time it will cover the grey.Works best if you can let it soak into the hair prob during a oiling.

Pixie0763
November 8th, 2011, 06:09 AM
After a week of thinking it over & researching, I've decide to stay natural. My hair is so healthy right now, I don't want to risk starting over to eliminate color or texture I may not like.

Nevertheless, thank you all for the feedback. If at some point I change my mind, I'll have this to draw from.

coffinhert
November 8th, 2011, 07:35 AM
everyone's hair is different, but - in the past has dying it changed the texture? if so, i highly doubt that you will be able to dye it again without the same effect. i know dying, no matter how expensive the salon brand or how 'friendly' the box brand, or whatevs, always messes it up. if you have COed healthy virgin hair and you are happy with it, i would keep it like that. once you start dying to cover up your silvers, you have to keep it up forever. i always miss my soft hair texture when i convince myself it's a good idea to dye it. it's never a good idea for me.

"It's not about getting what you want, it's about wanting what you got."

Crysania
November 8th, 2011, 08:05 AM
henna would change the texture of your hair
im growing out my natural dark blonde and my new hair is like baby soft hair, the henndigoed part looks dry and more coarse

elumen is pretty good dye you could use it without the final ''lock'' part if you wish a semi-permanent colour, and it smells good