PDA

View Full Version : Tis' the season...for a different hair oil!

Kaya
October 31st, 2011, 11:08 AM
So, this is the first winter I've used oil (almost at my 1 year LHC anniverary). I noticed today, since we haven't turned the heat on yet, that my normal coconut oil was kinda hardening as I was applying it. :blueeek: I figured this would happen at some point and it shouldn't be bad once we start using the heat, but what about when I go out and about? I don't need a coconut oil helmet! :p

Anyways, I was hoping to get some recommendations for winter hair oils. Ones that won't harden in cold weather. I've used EVOO, but it was kinda hard to wash out.

I'm pretty open for any oils, though I like the idea of oils that can penetrate the hair. Ideally, one that can be used daily, since I'm an utter oil-junkie! :D

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 11:15 AM
Same happens with my coconut oil! :( I use avocado oil in the winter.

|Xei
November 1st, 2011, 07:41 AM
I used to use camellia oil (I ran out, and haven't had the money to get a new bottle), and I don't think it ever solidified on me. It kept my hair very happy throughout the dry winter too.

JDzWife
November 1st, 2011, 07:51 AM
I've been using Argan oil very sparingly and really like the results. I also put a few drops in a small mister with distilled water and spray throughout the day. I like coconut oil for summer, but the Argan does seem to do better in cold days.

Modarunner
November 1st, 2011, 07:55 AM
If you like the coconut oil, you can order fractionated coconut, which is coconut oil that remains in it's liquid form and does not solidify. I just ordered some and I love it.

Alaia
November 1st, 2011, 09:46 AM
I've never had coconut oil harden once it's actually on my hair, so I just use it year-round. Though it doesn't exactly get freezing in London :lol:

junkyschristmas
November 1st, 2011, 10:17 AM
I love, love, love Weleda Rosemary Hair Oil (you can get it at Whole Foods). It makes my hair feel really soft and smells delish, and it's not affected by winter weather: http://www.drugstore.com/weleda-rosemary-hair-oil/qxp45846

Ingredients are: Peanut Oil, Clover Bud Extract, Burdock Root (Arctium Lappa) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil

HairFaerie
November 1st, 2011, 10:27 AM
Another vote for Argan Oil.

Not the kind they sell that smells really, really good that contains all kind of other ingredients. I mean the 100% argan oil.

You only need a tiny bit and it doesn't feel heavy or greasy (if used sparingly). I use it every day in a mister bottle with distilled water & shea butter butter. I spritz a little on the canopy and voilá! Instant softness & shine!

You can also use it as a leave in, overnight, more liberal amount, if you want. I haven't tried that yet because my hair doesn't really respond well to heavy oiling.

I love it!

moon2dove
November 1st, 2011, 10:32 AM
Maybe Jojoba Oil ?

I also use Coconut Oil and pure Argan Oil :)

DreamDance
November 3rd, 2011, 10:41 PM
I usually just use my coconut oil still. I fill a bowl or sink with warm water and leave it for 5-10 minutes till it softens enough for me to work with.

I have a question for those of you talking about other oils, specifically argan and avacado. I CO as my main cleanser, and use coconut oil because it washes out so easily, will argan and/or avacado leave an oily residue like EVOO or will it rinse clean like coconut? Thnx, sorry for the highjack.

mora
November 3rd, 2011, 10:51 PM
I usually just use my coconut oil still. I fill a bowl or sink with warm water and leave it for 5-10 minutes till it softens enough for me to work with.

I have a question for those of you talking about other oils, specifically argan and avacado. I CO as my main cleanser, and use coconut oil because it washes out so easily, will argan and/or avacado leave an oily residue like EVOO or will it rinse clean like coconut? Thnx, sorry for the highjack.

I've never noticed a residue from using argan oil.

julliams
November 4th, 2011, 01:20 AM
When I read the title I was hoping you were going to tell us about a yummy cinnamony, clovey, christmasy smelling oil...

If I could find an oil that smelled like mulled wine or the real chai tea (not the powder stuff) I'd be in heaven!

laura85
November 4th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Another vote for 100% Argan Oil :-)

DreamDance - I find a lot of it absorbs, its not particularly thick and rinses well in my experience.

Kyaatje
November 4th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I hardly ever have liquid coconut oil, I use it by scraping some of with my nail and I never noticed it hardening again in my hair. It doesn't get that cold either but I think bodywarmth helps keeping it soft

Fethenwen
November 4th, 2011, 05:51 AM
^ Yeah, I get decent enough results still with coconut oil, even though it's almost freezing temperature here outside. I also think body warmth might be the reason it doesn't solidify in the hair. I use coconut oil only during the night now though.

I warm the bottle of oil in a hot water bath before applying it.

kittymallow
November 4th, 2011, 06:45 AM
When I read the title I was hoping you were going to tell us about a yummy cinnamony, clovey, christmasy smelling oil...

If I could find an oil that smelled like mulled wine or the real chai tea (not the powder stuff) I'd be in heaven!

I have not heard of any oil like that for hair, but i bougth a bottle of pumpkin pie aroma oil and i mix a drop of that into whatever i use on my hair so my hair always smell like christmas/pumpkinpie yumminess:) i bet you find alot of other great smells on ebay. Maybe for christmas i will use my king incence oil. It reminds me forever about my christmas as a child:)

naturegirl321
November 4th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I use coconut oil year round. IN the morning I stick it in the waistband of my jeans, put on my make up and by the time I'm done, part of the CO is liquid and ready to put on my hair.

DreamDance
November 4th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I've never noticed a residue from using argan oil.

Another vote for 100% Argan Oil :-)

DreamDance - I find a lot of it absorbs, its not particularly thick and rinses well in my experience.

Thank you!