PDA

View Full Version : Coloured hair - what to use for CO?

Evie
October 31st, 2011, 06:06 AM
Hi

I am starting to get back into CO washes, and tend to use the method where you leave the condish in for a while before washing out (I.e, I know I'm going to wash my hair in the shower before bed, so I'll put the conditioner in when I get home under s shower cap and put a warm hat on so I get a deep treatment and a wash).

Thing is, I am in the process of experimenting with conditioners to find the one (ones?) I want to build into my routine. I colour my hair dark, and while I'm careful to only touch up the roots, I know this will cause a bit of damage. I don't heat style though and baby my hair in all other ways I can. But, I totally accept my hair is not virgin. I have been using cones, but my hair can feel a bit dry (it likes protein!). I have read lots saying that some cones can ultimately lead to drier hair. I am wondering whether I'd be better to go cone free, but when I am shampooing and conditioning the cones leave me with nice slip?

I'd love to know your experiences with this, especially if you colour your hair too. Do you use cone or cone free? Did it take a while with cone free to see any benefits? I really want to get my routine in order, I'm heading towards BSL and have a goal of waist/tailbone, so I'm thinking it is important and am getting a bit frustrated :gah:

ange1ito
October 31st, 2011, 06:38 AM
Chemical head here...I use a colour touch by Wella. I noticed my hair love's cone's & protein treatments and I tend to oil every other day before washing for the moisture. Oiling definitely helped to decrease splits at the ends.

Evie
October 31st, 2011, 06:48 AM
Thank you! My hair is the same with protein, and it loves oil - I tend to use coconut or sometimes castor :)

luxepiggy
October 31st, 2011, 09:51 AM
I use a similar CO method to the one you described, and have been getting amazing results with L'Oréal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for Medium-Long Hair that's Damaged. It contains amodimethicone and a fair amount of protein as well (^(oo)^)v

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 11:12 AM
I use organic chemical free CO, which has protein in it. Seems to work for me! :)

PinkyCat
October 31st, 2011, 11:17 AM
I color and am cone-free. I CO with V05 and Suave - all flavors. The V05 has a tiny bit of protein. The Suave I find more moisturizing.

Evie
October 31st, 2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies....I'm off to look into those products a bit more :)

Dark40
October 31st, 2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies....I'm off to look into those products a bit more :)
I also colour my hair, and I CO with Wen and Pantene Pro-V products.

Evie
October 31st, 2011, 01:52 PM
Hi Dark40, I'm experimenting with Pantene at the moment, too - I am using their reconstructing conditioner, and using their leave in on the worst rough bits. I am also trying a small sample size of Aveda's dry treatment, which contains oils (at least it says so) and seems to be great as a leave in rather than just a conditioner - I guess whatever works! I have also been trying Herbal Essences beautiful lengths, and am considering some cone free conditioners from britishcurlies.co.uk, I am trying to balance protein on the damage, and making sure I add enough moisture too, I don't want to trash it further with protein. I have also bought some sachets of Hask n Placenta, to see if I like it, before shelling out on a larger bottle....

Hmmm. I think I need to keep experiementing and using up what I have! I will try and post an update in a bit, about what works for me :)

luxepiggy
October 31st, 2011, 03:06 PM
Hi Dark40, I'm experimenting with Pantene at the moment, too - I am using their reconstructing conditioner, and using their leave in on the worst rough bits. I am also trying a small sample size of Aveda's dry treatment, which contains oils (at least it says so) and seems to be great as a leave in rather than just a conditioner - I guess whatever works! I have also been trying Herbal Essences beautiful lengths, and am considering some cone free conditioners from britishcurlies.co.uk, I am trying to balance protein on the damage, and making sure I add enough moisture too, I don't want to trash it further with protein. I have also bought some sachets of Hask n Placenta, to see if I like it, before shelling out on a larger bottle....

Hmmm. I think I need to keep experiementing and using up what I have! I will try and post an update in a bit, about what works for me :)

Ohhhh almost forgot one of my favourite products, Pantene Damage Repair ampoules! Each one is like a tiny little 'coney bomb (^(oo)^)v

varintalonguard
November 1st, 2011, 02:41 AM
I have a love-hate relationship with cones...however when I am in need of them I find the Herbal Essences conditioners such as beautiful lengths work very well when my ends get a little crunchy which is especially in the winter. I would say that some experimentation is in order before you decided to go cone-less because of color damage. However I can managed cone-less much of the year even with my colored part of my hair because I gave up tradition color for henna and it makes my damaged hair stronger.
On a side note I use a tea rinse when I am in need of extra slip and that often allows me to go longer into the colder months before starting a cone regimen.