PDA

View Full Version : Crazy baby fringe - help!

infinity_girl
October 31st, 2011, 04:42 AM
Argh, I really don't know what to do. I posted a while ago but I don't think I got any replies.

I have this baby fringe growing around my face and it is actually quite thick. I am a little worried as I am not sure if it is my normal hair breaking off or if it really is new hair growing (or just that my baby fringe never grew before and since taking supplements has started to grow). Anyway, it looks terrible and sort of fluffs up even though I try and smoothe it down. It is about two inches long now. It might also have something to do with the fact that I had a baby a year ago but anyway, what can I do with it while it is growing? It just looks terrible and I look like a clown unless I can find a way to smoothe it down.

Argh! Bad hair I hate you :(.

DancingQueen
October 31st, 2011, 04:56 AM
I have the exact same problem! I just started oiling my hair though, so I am hoping it is just because it has finally started growing. :)

WaitingSoLong
October 31st, 2011, 08:58 AM
There is nothing you can do but wait for it to get longer so it can be smoothed down. I confess to using hairspray.

If you are worried it is breakage, here are some things to look for: Are all the hairs approximately the same length? Probably not breakage but regrowth from a big shed. Pluck a hair out and examine the end, if it has taper, it is probably new growth. Breakage will have blunt ends and possible a split or dot on the end.

I doubt it is breakage. I had this a year ago. Now those hairs are 6" long and still obvious from the rest of my hair but more easily incorporated. Yet hair is always shedding, at 50-100 hairs a day, you will have short regrowth hairs all the time ay any given time. It is just bothersome when they seem to be in larger numbers than normal.

If it doesn't seem to be growing (gaining an inch every couple months or so) then I have no idea, sorry. LOL

infinity_girl
October 31st, 2011, 10:18 AM
There is nothing you can do but wait for it to get longer so it can be smoothed down. I confess to using hairspray.

If you are worried it is breakage, here are some things to look for: Are all the hairs approximately the same length? Probably not breakage but regrowth from a big shed. Pluck a hair out and examine the end, if it has taper, it is probably new growth. Breakage will have blunt ends and possible a split or dot on the end.

I doubt it is breakage. I had this a year ago. Now those hairs are 6" long and still obvious from the rest of my hair but more easily incorporated. Yet hair is always shedding, at 50-100 hairs a day, you will have short regrowth hairs all the time ay any given time. It is just bothersome when they seem to be in larger numbers than normal.

If it doesn't seem to be growing (gaining an inch every couple months or so) then I have no idea, sorry. LOL

Thanks so much for your reply. I am pretty sure it is just new growth that is actually growing. I think perhaps all the vitamins I am taking have actually made it grow as proper hair. I am just a bit shocked that it is growing so thick. If it is new growth where there was none before then my hairline was really receding which is a bit shocking but I think it is just baby hair that is actually growing properly rather than just staying as baby hair and yes, it does taper!

Inching Along
October 31st, 2011, 10:28 AM
How exciting that you're getting new growth at your hairline. I have had "baby bangs" as long as I can remember...so probably since I was a little girl. They are consistently about 2 inches long along my hairline on my forehead. At least they are learning to be directed after all this time. I used to have bangs, so they weren't noticeable, but then they got a bit more stubborn and wouldn't cooperate. I am growing out my bangs and don't really style them now. I thought for sure they would grow longer with no blow-drying, but no such happy result! Sigh.

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 11:18 AM
I've never had this problem, but i used a headband and butterfly clips when I was growing out my bangs... It looked a bit silly, maybe, but it worked!

WaitingSoLong
October 31st, 2011, 12:12 PM
Yeah it seems like I have a new row of hair growth every year (like shark teeth lol). I wonder if hair slowly moves back and new rows grow in to replace it. LOL. Ok that is silly but that is what it seems like!

Inching Along
October 31st, 2011, 10:43 PM
LOL! That's quite the picture, isn't it? :)

jacqueline101
November 6th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Its probably new hairs. I have new hairs in my fringe line and they do the wave at you.

GlennaGirl
November 6th, 2011, 10:54 AM
You're going to *constantly* have new growth, all over your head. It's just that the majority of it is less noticeable or unnoticeable because it's smoothed/weighed down and/or covered by longer hair. Around the hairline, all your hair just "stops" (unless one is an ape :) ) so you can see all the little stickie-outies.

How about aloe gel?

freecelt
November 6th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I can commiserate with you. I've had two batches of "baby" bangs. I learned to work with it. Used ton's of aloe to past them down and hair spray if I realllly cared that day. HTH :)

GlennaGirl
November 6th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Its probably new hairs. I have new hairs in my fringe line and they do the wave at you.

"Wave"...LOL!!! Well, at least you have friendly hairs! :p

Jemoiselle
November 6th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I have them too! To get mine to behave, I use olive oil as a hand moisturizer then rub my hands on my finished updo. If yours are particularly thick though this might not work. My hair is very fine. I hope you find something that works for you soon, sometimes it makes me feel like a baby bird! Have you ever seen one getting in it's feathers? I used to raise rosie bourkes and they looked so silly and cute when their heads had little tufts of fluff sticking out in random places :)

Macaroni
November 6th, 2011, 12:36 PM
If you don't mind using hairspray; spray a fine toothed comb with it and gently comb the hairs down. The small amount of hairspray in the teeth of the comb will control those new hairs.

ktani
November 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I agree that it sounds like new growth. What about something like these, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=81360 ?