PDA

View Full Version : If hairpins move on scalp, can bald patches result

shikara
October 30th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I really like using hairpins, and nothing else has seemed to work for my hair. regardless of how conscientious I am about putting in the hairpins, there always seems to be one or two whose ends are touching my scalp, or the straight part of the body of it is. I can adjust them, but alas another one or two will take their place. It's pretty frustrating, but mainly because I'm not sure how concerned I need to be about it. If it's just the inconvenience of how it feels, that's one thing. If it can cause follicles to be permanently damaged, that's a whole other ball of wax. Any words of wisdom?

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 11:46 AM
I think its true that they could pull out hair if you aren't gentle while removing them... but create bald patches? I doubt it.

lapushka
October 31st, 2011, 12:30 PM
I think you'll be okay if you don't do the updo too tightly, and also if you change it up a lot (not the same (tight) hairdo on the same spot with the same hairpins all the time).

Fairlight63
October 31st, 2011, 12:46 PM
I also like to use hairpins for my updo's but when they lose their rubber tip I throw them away, I think that they can harm the scalp if they scratch your scalp.

Madora
October 31st, 2011, 01:38 PM
I really like using hairpins, and nothing else has seemed to work for my hair. regardless of how conscientious I am about putting in the hairpins, there always seems to be one or two whose ends are touching my scalp, or the straight part of the body of it is. I can adjust them, but alas another one or two will take their place. It's pretty frustrating, but mainly because I'm not sure how concerned I need to be about it. If it's just the inconvenience of how it feels, that's one thing. If it can cause follicles to be permanently damaged, that's a whole other ball of wax. Any words of wisdom?

I've been using 3 inch crimped hairpins for at least 40 years and have not had any bad experiences yet. Like Fairlight said, once the rubber tip comes off, the pin gets tossed.

As long as you vary where you place the hairpins from time to time, I don't see any harm in using them. Also, be sure your style always feels comfortable with the pins and that nothing is pulling.

manddd
November 3rd, 2011, 05:09 AM
Hello all,
Actually, it does happen- it did to my mom who has waist length hair and used to have it in an updo every day for a very long time. Now she has a bald spot on the crown and she is embaressed by it to the point of avoiding hair salons completly.

Any thoughts about what can be done about it?

Madora
November 3rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
[quote=manddd;1848695]Hello all,
Actually, it does happen- it did to my mom who has waist length hair and used to have it in an updo every day for a very long time. Now she has a bald spot on the crown and she is embaressed by it to the point of avoiding hair salons completly.

The culprit here isn't hairpins, it is probably the hairstyle. Putting your hair up in the same style..or in the same place on your head day after day places too much strain on the delicate hairs. This is especially true if you use elastics to contain the style. The stress on the same area time after time weakens and eventually will damage/thin the hair in the area, resulting in a thin or bald spot.

If your mother's bald spot isn't too big, she might be able to disguise it by hiding it with a few strands of the rest of her hair..a sort of curtain effect. I do this myself to cover a small spot where my hair has thinned a bit.