PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Half Up Style

LongForLife
July 6th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I was trying for something along the lines of a style worn by Keira Knightley in Pirates of the Caribbean. I decided to develop my own style with hints of hers, but with more down. Anyway, below are some pictures to the style that I wore to a wedding a couple of days ago. I did most of it myself, with a little help from my husband. I thought it turned out nice and actually showed off the length, while having a fancy looking up do as well. I got lots of nice comments on it. I should have got a side picture, but forgot. So here is the half up stlye.

http://www.countryartistantiques.com/Fancy Half Up Style1a
http://www.countryartistantiques.com/Fancy Half Up Style2a
http://www.countryartistantiques.com/Fancy Half Up Style3a

ole gray mare
July 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
That's very beautiful! How did you do it?

Tangles
July 6th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Oh my goodness what a flattering look on you. Your husband is sweet for helping you out too :) For some reason the look reminds me of Belle from Beauty and the Beast, only much longer.

DecafJane
July 6th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Wow! Your hair looks nicer than hers in that movie anyway. :p
BTW, I love your dress. I wore a similar one (completely different pattern, similar cut) to a wedding recently, and was so relieved to find one that didn't have a high waist or completely shapeless (fine on ultra-skinny, maternity-wear on those of us with a bit of curve!), which seems to be just about every dress at the moment.
Amazing hair - I love how you combined the fancy updo with showing off your impressive length. :)

LongForLife
July 6th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Thank you all. I started by taking the top 3rd of my hair (from top of ear to ear) and bringing it up like a ponytail, only leaving a "bumped" up look in the front. I twisted it slightly and used a couple of bobby pins to secure it, with the bumped up front. Then I braided the ends and coiled them into a bun. Then I took the middle third of my hair (from ear to ear across of the head) and brought it up towards the bun and twisted it and then pinned it around the existing bun, leaving the very ends hanging down. Then the bottom 3rd of my hair, I lightly curled and let hang.

LongForLife
July 6th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Wow! Your hair looks nicer than hers in that movie anyway. :p
BTW, I love your dress. I wore a similar one (completely different pattern, similar cut) to a wedding recently, and was so relieved to find one that didn't have a high waist or completely shapeless (fine on ultra-skinny, maternity-wear on those of us with a bit of curve!), which seems to be just about every dress at the moment.
Amazing hair - I love how you combined the fancy updo with showing off your impressive length. :)

I know what you mean. This was the only dress I found that was flattering for a curvy figure. Thanks. That was actually my goal. I wanted an up do style for the wedding, but I like to leave part down to show the length. :)

toodramatik
July 6th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Gorgeous! You're so pretty and it's amazing you can pull off a half up with so much length. ^_^

I love. I want.

AprilElf
July 6th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Great style! :D I really like the idea of leaving the ends loose and curled - gives an extra dimension to it!

LongForLife
July 6th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Thank you both so much! :) I want to try a similar style with a hair rat sometime, and see how it looks with more height in the front section.

ladystar
July 6th, 2008, 08:37 PM
You and your hair are so beautiful. I love the up do.

serenitygal
July 6th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Oh, what a lovely style! When I get a bit more hair, I shall try this.

Ciel
July 6th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I love this style on you, it looks great. :)

Angellen
July 6th, 2008, 10:02 PM
How very pretty! It does look really stunning. :blossom:

CaityBear
July 6th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I love it. Your hair looks really gorgeous.

I can't wait until I'm at that length. *sigh* lol

Kiraela
July 7th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I love it! I'm going to have to try that soon, although I doubt it will look quite as spectacular as yours...

betsala
July 7th, 2008, 06:11 AM
this is beautiful. i love how it showcases your amazing length .

paper
July 7th, 2008, 06:55 AM
You look beautiful. That hairstyle is gorgeous!

StephanieB
July 7th, 2008, 09:43 AM
You - and your hair - look beautiful!

I like how your style showed the length and thickness of your lovely hair, but still looked "up" & dressy.

Very nice. :)

katiana
July 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Great style! :D I really like the idea of leaving the ends loose and curled - gives an extra dimension to it!

I agree! This is so beautiful on you.

<She>
July 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Yes, I agree with the others, it is very pretty on you. You have gorgeous hair! :)
And, if I may add, a few days ago I've been trying to do a fancy half up and I started a french braid but stopped it after the first 3-4 crossing-overs. It looked nicer and more elegant than a normal braid, and I left sections of hair from the hairline loose. AndI had the lenght showing.
You could try that also:)

Xandergrammy
July 7th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Well, aren't you the prettiest thing?? :crush: You and your updo are beautiful!

Curlsgirl
July 7th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Oh I have been looking for something like this for a halfup!!! I can't wait to try it. It looks gorgeous on you! I like the half french braid idea too! :cheese:

Samara Morgan
July 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM
What a beautiful half-up :thud: Beats Keira Knightley's hair in the movie any day :D I agree that it looks similar to Belle's hair :cloud9:

wendy645
July 7th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Wow, that's beautiful! And how kind of your sweetie to help you! I often wish I had another hand (or two!) when doing my own hair, but my boyfriend is convinced he's utterly incompetant with hair and rarely does more than run his fingers through it lovingly (which almost always ends up ensnaring his fingers LOL)

You, by the way, are a beautiful lady :-)

Cloverleaf
July 7th, 2008, 04:47 PM
You have beautiful hair, and what a great style too! Very creative.

LongForLife
July 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Thank you everyone for the lovely compliments! I'm glad you all like it, and I wasn't just imagining that it looked good. lol

Yes, I agree with the others, it is very pretty on you. You have gorgeous hair! :)
And, if I may add, a few days ago I've been trying to do a fancy half up and I started a french braid but stopped it after the first 3-4 crossing-overs. It looked nicer and more elegant than a normal braid, and I left sections of hair from the hairline loose. AndI had the lenght showing.
You could try that also:)

That is a great idea, thanks for suggesting that!

Wow, that's beautiful! And how kind of your sweetie to help you! I often wish I had another hand (or two!) when doing my own hair, but my boyfriend is convinced he's utterly incompetant with hair and rarely does more than run his fingers through it lovingly (which almost always ends up ensnaring his fingers LOL)

You, by the way, are a beautiful lady :-)

Yes, I am lucky that he is actually interested and offers to help me. :D Thank you so much. :o

psvzum
July 7th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Oh, that's just so pretty!!!

Curlsgirl
July 8th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I actually did this today and am wearing it to work! It doesn't look half as good as yours but I still like it! I couldn't get the poof thing to stay. How do you pin it before you braid it? With a bobby pin? It would take several huh? I just braided the top section and made a braided bun and then wrapped the next section around that. It feels great and very secure with just 2 Good hair days pins. But I like the poof thingie and would like to add it if you have any ideas. :)

goldenwaves
July 8th, 2008, 07:01 AM
That looks great! You look so gorgeous!!

Fireweed
July 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM
That is lovely and it looks very good on you.

Katze
July 8th, 2008, 09:50 AM
what a nice 'do! I might see if I can make something like this work on my hair.

You are indeed very pretty, and the hairdo and dress suit you well. I also like your friendly, positive looking smile.

Chamomile betty
July 8th, 2008, 09:59 AM
So pretty!
You did a great job and it looks really nice.

LongForLife
July 8th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I actually did this today and am wearing it to work! It doesn't look half as good as yours but I still like it! I couldn't get the poof thing to stay. How do you pin it before you braid it? With a bobby pin? It would take several huh? I just braided the top section and made a braided bun and then wrapped the next section around that. It feels great and very secure with just 2 Good hair days pins. But I like the poof thingie and would like to add it if you have any ideas. :)

Great! I'm glad you could make the style as well. Yes, I actually used 2 bobby pins to hold the front poof up. First I made the poof how I wanted it and then put the pins in. My hair is very thick and heavy, and I was surprised that two held it. I put one on each side facing eachother and going past eachother. So it ended up being two bobby pins basically laying next to eachother. I just used Goody bobby pins that I picked up the other day from walmart. They held surprisingly well for me. Also I made sure my hair was not freshly cleaned, or they tend to sleep a little easier.

All I can say is that you must be doing a better job than me if you only used two bobby pins!! :cheer: It sounds like you have it perfected. I am newish to up do's and with my heavy hair, it seems I have a hard time with them. I did the same, made the braided bun and then twisted and wrapped the 2nd section around that bun. And I used like 15 bobby pins. lol And my scalp was killing me that night when I took the style down. A couple of the bobby pins were tightly pulling some hairs next to the scalp. Apparently I need some more practice with them.

LongForLife
July 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Thank you everyone! That would be great if I had created a style that others were able to wear and enjoy themselves.

Curlsgirl
July 8th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Bobby pins tend to hurt my hair AND take some with it when I take them out so I try not to use them. I like the Good hair days pins MUCH better. Thanks for posting this! I was disappointed no one noticed mine today :(

LongForLife
July 8th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Bobby pins tend to hurt my hair AND take some with it when I take them out so I try not to use them. I like the Good hair days pins MUCH better. Thanks for posting this! I was disappointed no one noticed mine today :(

I'm not familiar with the pins you mentioned. Yes, the bobby pins hurt my scalp, but luckily my new ones did not pull my hair out. Can you get the Good hair days pins in stores, or just online? I'm sorry that no one noticed it. :(

Ven
July 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Your hair is shiny and beautiful and the style looked great on you!

~Ven

Patrycja
July 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Can you make it a updo article with instructions? I'm really bad on reading on how do it without visual :)

LongForLife
July 8th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Can you make it a updo article with instructions? I'm really bad on reading on how do it without visual :)

I know what you mean, I'm the same way. I've never done an article, but I'm sure I would have no problem. I'll try and do it soon, when my hubby is around and can take good pics at each stage to show the process well. :)

LongForLife
July 9th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Oh by the way Curlsgirl, I just thought of something. I just remembered something, I had a slight problem getting the poof in front. So I think I ended up splitting the first section into 2 down the middle and making a poof with each. Then crossed them at the top of the head and pinned them with 2 bobby pins and then did the braid and then braid bun. I forgot this step. This may help with the poof for you too. I messed with it so much, I have forgotten what I ended up doing for sure. lol

Anyway, I'll do an article soon, and redo it to remember better, so everyone can see how to do it.

FlowerHair
July 10th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Ohhh...that's very pretty!!! :D

sahiba
July 10th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Love it ! What??? Everything in the picture. Your hair, your dress, your fig.( :o ) , .... actually ....... everything in the picture.

Curlsgirl
July 10th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I'm not familiar with the pins you mentioned. Yes, the bobby pins hurt my scalp, but luckily my new ones did not pull my hair out. Can you get the Good hair days pins in stores, or just online? I'm sorry that no one noticed it. :(I get them at Sally's. I like the clear ones but they make tortoise too that would probably be better for you. Also Walmart and Walgreens has them by Scunci in a package near the bobby pins. They are plastic and well here's a picture :) I LOVE them and they never catch on your hair.
http://walgreens.hs.llnwd.net/e1/dbimagecache/303881.jpg (http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100838&navAction=jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku2498899&id=prod2499462#)

Oh by the way Curlsgirl, I just thought of something. I just remembered something, I had a slight problem getting the poof in front. So I think I ended up splitting the first section into 2 down the middle and making a poof with each. Then crossed them at the top of the head and pinned them with 2 bobby pins and then did the braid and then braid bun. I forgot this step. This may help with the poof for you too. I messed with it so much, I have forgotten what I ended up doing for sure. lol

Oh thanks! Will try that next time!

LongForLife
July 10th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Love it ! What??? Everything in the picture. Your hair, your dress, your fig.( :o ) , .... actually ....... everything in the picture.

:o Thank you. :D

I get them at Sally's. I like the clear ones but they make tortoise too that would probably be better for you. Also Walmart and Walgreens has them by Scunci in a package near the bobby pins. They are plastic and well here's a picture :) I LOVE them and they never catch on your hair.
http://walgreens.hs.llnwd.net/e1/dbimagecache/303881.jpg (http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100838&navAction=jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku2498899&id=prod2499462#)

Great, thanks! I'll get some and start trying those. Maybe they will hold my thick hair better. :)

sexyjacksparrow
July 10th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Wow - your half-up is gorgeous. My hair is too short to look nice half up right now.

I agree with the others too - you are VERY pretty :-)

Kerry xx

snowyowl
July 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM
That is a very beautiful style! it looks really good on you too! :)

Sofoulee
July 10th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Wow, that is SOOO pretty! Your hair is gorgeous. :D

Curlsgirl
July 10th, 2008, 12:54 PM
:o Thank you. :D

Great, thanks! I'll get some and start trying those. Maybe they will hold my thick hair better. :)

They might not hold with the style you are talking about. I like them for buns or something where a few ends are sticking out or for extra support on an updo. Try using them weaving them in and out sort of like a hairstick but like I said with what you are talking about, I don't know if there would be enough to help anchor them. They are cheap enough though and I really love them for a lot of things.

bikerblue
July 10th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Looks lovely and how fantastic that your husband helped you, don't think mine would know how too. I once asked him to trim mine by 1/4 in, he chopped 3 inches off!

ShanaMaidela
July 10th, 2008, 08:30 PM
That is beautiful! :thudpile: I am so envious!

mommy2one05
July 10th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Very, Very pretty hair do.
I wish I could get the poof thing figured out...I am a church girl and they are really starting to show up more and more. So is the side sweep but I can't get that to work either. Maybe I am just hair challenged.

LongForLife
July 11th, 2008, 01:05 AM
They might not hold with the style you are talking about. I like them for buns or something where a few ends are sticking out or for extra support on an updo. Try using them weaving them in and out sort of like a hairstick but like I said with what you are talking about, I don't know if there would be enough to help anchor them. They are cheap enough though and I really love them for a lot of things.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. :) I'll still get them and can try them with buns, etc anyway. I have never used hairsticks, but I am anxious to try them. My hair is so heavy, that I have a real problem doing updos that are secure. I might just need practice, but I always seem to have to use 15 bobby pins. :(

Looks lovely and how fantastic that your husband helped you, don't think mine would know how too. I once asked him to trim mine by 1/4 in, he chopped 3 inches off!

OH MY GOSH!! Yikes! LOL I haven't had my husband trim my hair at all, but he does seem to like to help me with styles when he can. :)

That is beautiful! :thudpile: I am so envious!

:) Thank you! I love that thud picture. :)

flapjack
July 11th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Not only is that a good hairstyle in general, but it really compliments the shape of your face and the style of the dress. You look fantastic, there. :)

LongForLife
July 11th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Very, Very pretty hair do.
I wish I could get the poof thing figured out...I am a church girl and they are really starting to show up more and more. So is the side sweep but I can't get that to work either. Maybe I am just hair challenged.

Well, I can be hair challenged in many ways too. I'll post an article soon, maybe that can help with the poof in the front. Doing it again will help refresh my memory and I can try to give more pointers. :)

LongForLife
July 11th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Not only is that a good hairstyle in general, but it really compliments the shape of your face and the style of the dress. You look fantastic, there. :)

Thanks! I got really lucky to find that dress. I usually have a heck of a time. As for the style, I wanted a unique half updo and it just worked out. Although there was a large battle between my hair and me. :D
After much frustration and trying different things, I had the style finally after 2 hours. ;) Although the actual style itself didn't take very long, it was mostly just the playing around with what to do.