PDA

View Full Version : Is wet or dry cutting less damaging?

GoldberryHair
October 30th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Not gonna lie, I've done both, and I've always thought wet cutting was way better for your hair, but I've also heard it doesn't really matter...

Opinions?

Sundial
October 30th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Not sure which is better, but I prefer doing it dry because I have a tendency to cut more when it's wet (I'd cut a certain amount off and when it dries, it seems to shrink a little) :o

GoldberryHair
October 30th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Not sure which is better, but I prefer doing it dry because I have a tendency to cut more when it's wet (I'd cut a certain amount off and when it dries, it seems to shrink a little) :o

Me too! And I feel like everytime I cut it dry it looks a lot better...idk why lol I remember once someone said if you cut it dry then it splits the hair and it travels but I haven't really noticed too much of a difference, but it's time for a mini-trim... and maybe trying to work in a couple layers somehow :)

LadieRyrie
October 30th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I always wet my hair before I have it trimmed. My hair becomes wavy and poofy when it is dry, and my sister has to keep pulling it down to trim it and compare it with the length of the rest of my hair. So I do her a favor and wet it. I think that the only drawback to wet-hair cutting is that the hair must be brushed. You really cannot go far on LHC without hearing someone saying Never brush your hair when it's wet! But once in awhile is fine.

Dry cuts seem perfectly harmless to me.

Narya
October 30th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I don't see how one could be more damaging than the other, if you don't over stretch your hair combing it wet (and that's another matter entirely!).

I cut my hair wet, because of the wurls and the fact that every day it dries in a different way (length, texture, volume...), so wet cutting is more reliable, but I S&D on dry hair, and I don't think either is damaging it.

MissManda
October 30th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I have cut my hair both wet and dry and I saw no difference in the results. I personally find cutting dry hair is best for me since it's easier to snip all of the little racer hairs away. I like to wait for my hair to get dirty/greasy before I trim, that way it will be very flat and easier to handle.

My DBF, on the other hand, has to have his hair cut wet because the length and ends of his hair form into big ringlets.

bobbsi
October 30th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I don't think it makes a difference either. Even hairdressers do both.

What does make the difference though are the scissors, but I guess you know that. ;)

Amber_Maiden
October 30th, 2011, 06:03 PM
See no difference between wet or dry...

Kristin
October 30th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I don't think either is damaging. I dampen mine just so they'll stick together and be easier to cut.