PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil/EVOO/EO Mix - great results!

PeachyWavy
October 30th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hi guys, this is my first post so :waving:

Feeling a bit shy, everyone seems so knowledgeable and has beautiful hair! I think I've worked out that I have 2C with elements of 3A hair, recovering from straightening and bleaching damage, that is Medium thickness and ii overall volume (Normal, I think...)

After lurking for goodness knows how long, I decided to come out of the shadows and post what's been my most successful experiment so far- an oil mix! I'd tried EVOO and Coconut Oil separately and had the pleasure of seeing good results, although nothing absolutely spectacular. I was bored one evening before I was going oil my hair, and I wondered what would happen if I mixed the two oils...

It's worth noting that over here in chilly England, coconut oil's always a solid unless heated, so I microwaved (sorry if that's some hidden taboo!) it and added the same amount of EVOO. Then I put in a few drops of Lemon EO and Lavender EO because I love the smell combo and put the lid on the jar and shook it.

I wasn't very convinced that I they wouldn't separate when I left them to cool, I have expected to come back to a half solid, half liquid jar. Instead, I got a softened coconut oil, a light green/yellow colour from the EVOO. I did a little happy hair dance there, you must applaud my enthusiasm?! :cheese:

I applied this like any other oiling, melted some between my fingers and smoothed it through. Then I BBB'd it to spread it and left it bunned for a few hours. It smelled lovely! I CO'd it out and I just left my hair to air dry completely without any gel (like I might normally do).

Every single time I do this, without fail, the resulting hair day is a good one. Lovely soft, shiny waves and curls that smooth out into Renaissance-esque waves or remain shiny. Of course, individual results would vary, but has anyone else got a particular love for this oil combo? I think it may be my favourite oil yet! :D

ladonna
October 30th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Whoo hoo! Congrats! I love when I find a "potion" as my DH call's it, that works. Mine is sweet almond oil and coconut. I've never heated my oil though, I'll try that next Saturday.

swearnsue
October 30th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I have an oil mix I like that has EVOO and Coconut oil. It also has a lot of castor oil and a tiny bit of sesame oil (measurements are not very scientific!) I've added some essential oils too. I've got it in my hair right now because it's shampoo night!

shikara
October 30th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Congratulations PeachyWavy! Isn't it a great feeling when we discover something that our hair really likes?!! There are so many methods of washing, conditioning (or not), rinsing, oiling, massaging and sometimes it's a little frustrating finding the right mix and products - so getting a positive result is liberating!! About our knowledge - hehe you just may be dishing out helpful advice before you know it. It's not only what works for us that helps people, but what hasn't worked. My favorite oil blend to massage my scalp with pre-wash is castor, jojoba, and rosemary!

ssjhotau2
October 30th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I haven't looked this up for myself, but I've heard that the citrus oils can lighten hair...

Otherwise that sounds fantastic! I love essential oils and Lavender is suppose to be really good for hair. I'm so envious that you got your mixed oils to solidify :p mine always separate or my coconut oil just stays liquid lol.

PeachyWavy
October 30th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Whoo hoo! Congrats! I love when I find a "potion" as my DH call's it, that works. Mine is sweet almond oil and coconut. I've never heated my oil though, I'll try that next Saturday.

I'll have to try sweet almond oil sometime, although I'm yet to find a decent supplier in the UK. I find that heating gives best results, plus it feels oh so luxurious to use a warm oil, very Cleopatra like!

I have an oil mix I like that has EVOO and Coconut oil. It also has a lot of castor oil and a tiny bit of sesame oil (measurements are not very scientific!) I've added some essential oils too. I've got it in my hair right now because it's shampoo night!

Non scientific measurements are best, I love the thrill of haphazard measurements! :p
I've heard great things about castor oil- another on to add to the everexpanding "must try" list!

Congratulations PeachyWavy! Isn't it a great feeling when we discover something that our hair really likes?!! There are so many methods of washing, conditioning (or not), rinsing, oiling, massaging and sometimes it's a little frustrating finding the right mix and products - so getting a positive result is liberating!! About our knowledge - hehe you just may be dishing out helpful advice before you know it. It's not only what works for us that helps people, but what hasn't worked. My favorite oil blend to massage my scalp with pre-wash is castor, jojoba, and rosemary!

I must admit that when I first found this forum I was utterly overwhelmed! Luckily I love a good trail and error approach, so this appeals to me, despite the possibility of a fair few hat days! I keep hearing so much about castor oil, I really must get some.

I can only hope to be delivering as wise advice as some of the people that grace these forums, some day!

I haven't looked this up for myself, but I've heard that the citrus oils can lighten hair...

Otherwise that sounds fantastic! I love essential oils and Lavender is suppose to be really good for hair. I'm so envious that you got your mixed oils to solidify :p mine always separate or my coconut oil just stays liquid lol.

Ooh, yes, I had heard that too... I haven't noticed any lightening as yet, I'll be sure to mention it if I do!

When I first started using oils, the solidified Coconut Oil really alarmed me, it's always completely rock solid - to the point where it's difficult to even scrape some out! The addition of EVOO really softened it. Have you tried putting the mixture somewhere really cold, like a refrigerator or even a freezer for a short period, just while it firms up? :flower:

blondie9912
October 30th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Ouu that sounds lovely! It's great that you got a nice solid texture :D

turquoisedays
October 30th, 2011, 04:02 PM
This sounds cool, I'll be trying this :)

DarkSky
October 30th, 2011, 09:50 PM
The EVOO and coconut oil combo is amazing. I found a thread about this on the Naturally curly site and also a few youtube vids a few weeks ago. It seriously is the most moisturizing oil combo that I have tried. I also read that that combo penetrates the hair strands better than each of the oils by themselves. Yes and the added bonus is that the coconut oil stays in liquid form. I put the oil mixture in a mini key chain spray bottle and keep it in my purse for emergencies.

Totte
October 31st, 2011, 04:37 AM
I will have to try EVOO with the Coconut tonight! :) This sounds amazing.

(I usually always mix EVOO with Argan oil and apply it before I got to bed, or a little bit in the morning if my hair is too "poofy". I also use them after I shower.)

Sooze
October 31st, 2011, 07:24 AM
Oddly, have been toying with the idea of trying a similar mix of the two oils. I find I get even better moisture benefit from oiling if I apply liberally and then slather over a cheap conditioner on top of the oil. I leave for 20 mins and then rinse with water only. For my very dry curls it works a treat.

Aredhel77
October 31st, 2011, 07:39 AM
Hello to the OP!

I've got quite a lot of coconut oil plus some EVOO to use up so may give the combination a try :cheese:

Anywhere
October 31st, 2011, 07:42 AM
I actually tried this last week. :D

I found it didn't solidify for a good few days until I put it up against the window at night. My jar of just coconut oil stayed solid right next to the liquid mixed stuff, I thought it was weird.

Mine likes to re-liquidify for some reason, I guess I need to try a 25:75 EVOO to CO mixture. :hmm:

PeachyWavy
October 31st, 2011, 12:02 PM
Wow, great response. It seems we're all reaping the benefits of the amazing coconut oil and EVOO combo! :cheese:

As to the poster who mentioned that the combo is sometimes seen to absorb better, where was that? I must read that article, because it would make sense! :D

DarkSky
November 1st, 2011, 02:56 PM
Wow, great response. It seems we're all reaping the benefits of the amazing coconut oil and EVOO combo! :cheese:

As to the poster who mentioned that the combo is sometimes seen to absorb better, where was that? I must read that article, because it would make sense! :D

Here are two articles that refer to the coconut oil and olive oil combo:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/05/14/two-natural-oils-that-make-your-hair-shiny-and-strong/

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/10/coconut-oil-olive-oil-mixed-micelles.html