PDA

View Full Version : Salt water protection?

Milena
July 6th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I will be traveling to the Mediterranean with my boyfriend this summer (:inlove:), and I think I will use some natural oil to protect my hair from salt water damage. In the past (I haven't been on a vacation in ages!), I've usually bought some specially formulated product for that purpose (also usually oil-based), and I have also used olive oil at some point.

Now I am wondering what would work better: jojoba or olive? I still have a lot of jojoba here, on the other hand, olive oil could be bought locally. What do you think? How well do you think oil works for this at all? Thanks in advance! :flower:

Riot Crrl
July 6th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I think it will help some. A variant could be, if there's a shower there to get it wet in the tapwater first and then oil it. I'd then probably braid it to keep the oil in it as much as possible.

I have no experience with jojoba, so I don't know if it will be washed away faster than olive. I would probably put them both on my hand, see which is harder to rinse off, and use that one.

jojo
July 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Jojoba washes out easily enough but my hair prefers out of the two olive oil. You just need to experiment and see which suits you best, have a great trip too!

GlassEyes
July 6th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I didn't really question this, but here's my two sense.

I go to the beach a lot with my family. The last few times I've just used conditioner in my hair and basted my hair in oil. Sometimes I used coconut mixed with jojoba and olive oil, and sometimes straight olive.

My hair escaped fine both ways, so I'd use olive. I consider it the stronger oil anyway, and saly wayer can be stripping, so...yeah. xD

Milena
July 7th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Thanks for your replies. I think I will go with olive oil, as it is true that jojoba actually rinses out quite easily. And soaking the hair in fresh water first is a good idea. I usually take a bottle of it to the beach anyway, to rinse intermittently. Thanks again, and I wish everyone a great summer!