PDA

View Full Version : Should I get blunt bangs like Zooey Deschanel?

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Here is my picture:
http://i44.tinypic.com/117ry9d.jpg
This is what my hair normally looks like after i brush it and it air drys. And yeah I totally blurred out my face, haha. But i left my eyes cause I felt like that was crucial to the bangs look I'm asking about. :)

And here is what type(s) of haircut I'd like: (cause her bangs kinda look different in every picture)
http://assets.flavorwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/tumblr_kztkntmaaT1qawazmo1_500.jpg
http://flixer.com/resource/users/Mercury/images/Zooey-Deschanel-brown-bells.jpg
http://pockettacoradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Zooey-Deschanel-6.jpg
http://www.boomtron.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/zooey-deschanel-new-girl.png

I love the little 'wispies'... i don't know the name for the hair that is hanging down on both sides... So I may or may not have made up that term. :) haha

But anyways, I always loved her hair and I don't know if a similar cut would look good or bad on me, and I'm tired of my hair being so... plain. I want something new and exciting. :)

So I was just wondering if anybody could tell me if they think this would look awful or really good on me. (cause I know certain face shapes look really weird with different haircuts) Or even suggest pictures of other hairstyles that would look good on me. Thank you :)

joflakes
October 30th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I think it'd look super cute on you!

shikara
October 30th, 2011, 12:54 PM
For what it's worth, I think they would look really good on you but I'm partial to bangs! I would never grow mine out. Bangs can be restyled even without cutting, it's a short timeline if you choose to grow them a little longer on the sides, you can get different looks from the front view even if your hair is in the same updo daily, you can just wash your bangs if you don't want to wash the length - oh, I could go on! It is quite a change, but even if the particular bang style turned out that you didn't feel it was the image you wanted to project, bang styles can be easily altered. If you do do it, I hope you give us a peek! Good luck!

jennepea
October 30th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I love blunt bangs! But I'm growing mine out. I think they would look great on you, although it would look different from Zooey, because you have a smaller forehead. Just go for it! :)

EvaSimone
October 30th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I vote for the bangs, I think they'd suit you.

I am a huge fan of the wispies too.

Annibelle
October 30th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I think they'd look great on you, BUT I think I would probably prefer your hair the way it already is. :) Just like how not everyone can pull off bangs, not everyone can pull off NOT having bangs. You seem to have the rare sort of face that would look great either way. :)

I have the sort of face that looks stupid without bangs, but I don't do bangs because I have two annoying cowlicks RIGHT where the bangs would be. :( You're a very lucky girl. ;)

FrozenBritannia
October 30th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Well, let's approach this differently.

You will not look like her- Your jaw is more defined and angular, you have a shorter, narrower forehead (one of the reasons she has bangs- if you look at her sister they both have a fairly broad forehead)

That being said, I do think that you COULD wear bangs should you wish to. You will have to devote quite a bit of your hairline to them in order to get the same effect, so your hair will feel thinner. As someone growing out similar bangs, you should also be prepared to trim every two weeks to keep them at this length. Too short will give you a Betty Page look and too long will tangle in your eyelashes and drive you nuts, not to mention sunglasses/specs.

But it is a fun, flirty look, and if you get tired of it there are pretty headbands and clips that will make the growing out transition easier. You only live once!!

So, as long as you are okay with the fact that you won't look like her, and know that VERY few people pull off that look as successfully as she does and the maintenance involved , I think you should go for it!:)

Sahar24
October 30th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I think they would look amazing!
I am annoyed that I logged on and saw this thread as I think I am now gonna do the same as I have been dithering over it for a couple of month...!

Carolyn
October 30th, 2011, 01:53 PM
OK you asked. I'm not fond of that look on anyone. I think it's too much hair on the face. I don't think it's flattering on anyone. JMO. I think it's a fad thing right now :shrug: Personally, wouldn't want to grow out bangs that are cut that far back. Start with a few wispy strands and go from there. I think you look gorgeous now.

einna
October 30th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I love those kinds of bangs, and I think it would suit you. Just make sure it dosent get too top heavy, as in too much hair in the bangs from the top of your head. Better to start slow, and take more if you feel you need it. Good luck :)

ange1ito
October 30th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I think you should get them, you would suit it for sure. Only reason not to cut would be if you want to grow them back if you get bored...remember they will take a while to grow out if they are so deep.

MsBubbles
October 30th, 2011, 03:52 PM
OK you asked. I'm not fond of that look on anyone. I think it's too much hair on the face. I don't think it's flattering on anyone. JMO. I think it's a fad thing right now :shrug: Personally, wouldn't want to grow out bangs that are cut that far back. Start with a few wispy strands and go from there. I think you look gorgeous now.

I agree with Carolyn. Plus you have lovely eyes and jawline. I think your hair now suits that. But you're young so have fun and do what you want!

xoxophelia
October 30th, 2011, 03:56 PM
It is actually kind of hard to tell without being able to see your nose. I know that sounds weird but bangs draw a lot of attention to the nose.

Just looking at your hair though I would vote no. It kind of looks like your hair sticks up the same way mine does around your part. I had side swept bangs which hide that somewhat and even with those it was a pain. The bangs would always part oddly.

FrozenBritannia
October 30th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Personally, wouldn't want to grow out bangs that are cut that far back. .

Oh, how much of a pain in the butt it IS!! Utter agony I tell you.

xoxophelia
October 30th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Oh, how much of a pain in the butt it IS!! Utter agony I tell you.

I am currently into my 4th year of growing out bangs ^_^'

If you are really dedicated to the idea of bangs and want them for a very long time they shouldn't be a problem for you. Perhaps you could try out clip in bangs to make certain you love the look first?

FrozenBritannia
October 30th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I am currently into my 4th year of growing out bangs ^_^'

I'm only 1 month in.. Please tell me it gets better!

xoxophelia
October 30th, 2011, 04:28 PM
^the most awkward phase for me was when it was long enough to go behind my ears but too short to go into a ponytail. My hair would flip out from the side of my head and look very odd. Then there is a very long period for them to catch up with my about 33" hair. It may take another year or so....But it isn't so bad anymore.

McFearless
October 30th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I like her bangs but she has huge hair all around to balance the thick bangs. If you wear your hair similarly than go for it. But start off slowly. Don't make the bangs as thick. You can always increase the thickness but you can't exactly grow them out that easily.

allmixedup88
October 30th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I think you have a very nice sized forehead.
I always think of blunt bangs for those with big foreheads like myself lol

bobbsi
October 30th, 2011, 05:18 PM
You should go for it, but out of peresonal exprience: it could be a bit annoying having bangs with waves like yours... ;)

spidermom
October 30th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I think your face shape would suit it, although mostly I'm with Carolyn. Do you do things that get you all sweaty, like work out or garden or hit the house-cleaning with gusto? It's reallyreallyreally annoying to have hair sticking to your forehead when you're busy. Plus the length will only have about a 3-week window of being at the right spot. Next thing you know, they'll be in your eyes and need a trim.

jaine
October 30th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I think that the vast majority of people look better without bangs. Including Zooey Deschanel:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/651/nobangs.png

oktobergoud
October 30th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I love that look, I think you can pull it off, BUT you do have a short forehead.. (okay I looked a second time and it's normal, I'm just used to my enormous fivehead haha never mind!).

But, I think you don't NEED them (I, for example, really need bangs). They will be awful to grow out!

But again, they can look cute.. but honestly? I vote for no! I just like your look now :)

Moor_tu_lyfe
October 30th, 2011, 05:58 PM
If you usually air dry your hair (and stil have fabulous hair like in your photo) then you might get sick of having to style your bangs. I found that my bangs didn't sit nicely unless they were blowdried, and they would get oilier then the rest of my hair, as I have fairly oily skin.

On the plus side, you can wash just your bangs and they don't take that long to blowdry...

I think they would look great on you, but you have great hair as it is as well. Please post again with a photo if you do cut bangs...:)

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Thank you for all your replies everybody. I love hearing everybody's opinion cause I wouldn't want to jump into anything without knowing everything.

I'm trying to reply to everybody so I will try to put about 5 message replies into each post (cause I think that is the most we are allowed). Sorry if this looks ridiculous and crazy, but here we go:

First off I messed up and forgot to quote the first post so:
Joflakes- Thank you

For what it's worth, I think they would look really good on you but I'm partial to bangs! I would never grow mine out. Bangs can be restyled even without cutting, it's a short timeline if you choose to grow them a little longer on the sides, you can get different looks from the front view even if your hair is in the same updo daily, you can just wash your bangs if you don't want to wash the length - oh, I could go on! It is quite a change, but even if the particular bang style turned out that you didn't feel it was the image you wanted to project, bang styles can be easily altered. If you do do it, I hope you give us a peek! Good luck!

I'd love to hear more about bangs and what you know. The one thing I'm worried about is when/if i get bangs is the styling of them and how to make them look good. Could you share some tips and experiences? Maybe some pros and cons as well? Thank you. I really value advise from others a lot! And I will definitely share pictures if i get the haircut!!

I love blunt bangs! But I'm growing mine out. I think they would look great on you, although it would look different from Zooey, because you have a smaller forehead. Just go for it!
Not to be weird but do you have any pictures from when you had blunt bangs, I would love to see how they looked on you! Also how deep were your bangs and are they hard to grow back out? And I'm really thinking of doing it, but not as deep of a cut as Zooeys maybe, I'm really not sure yet.

I vote for the bangs, I think they'd suit you.

I am a huge fan of the wispies too.
I'm so glad you like wispies too! and I'm also glad somebody else besides me uses that term. I didn't know if it was just some weird term i picked up from nowhere. phew!

I think they'd look great on you, BUT I think I would probably prefer your hair the way it already is. Just like how not everyone can pull off bangs, not everyone can pull off NOT having bangs. You seem to have the rare sort of face that would look great either way.

I have the sort of face that looks stupid without bangs, but I don't do bangs because I have two annoying cowlicks RIGHT where the bangs would be. You're a very lucky girl.
Thank you you are wayyyy to nice And I'm afraid that when/if i cut my bangs that I will have a weird cowlick randomly in my bangs. haha.

Well, let's approach this differently.

You will not look like her- Your jaw is more defined and angular, you have a shorter, narrower forehead (one of the reasons she has bangs- if you look at her sister they both have a fairly broad forehead)

That being said, I do think that you COULD wear bangs should you wish to. You will have to devote quite a bit of your hairline to them in order to get the same effect, so your hair will feel thinner. As someone growing out similar bangs, you should also be prepared to trim every two weeks to keep them at this length. Too short will give you a Betty Page look and too long will tangle in your eyelashes and drive you nuts, not to mention sunglasses/specs.

But it is a fun, flirty look, and if you get tired of it there are pretty headbands and clips that will make the growing out transition easier. You only live once!!

So, as long as you are okay with the fact that you won't look like her, and know that VERY few people pull off that look as successfully as she does and the maintenance involved , I think you should go for it!
Yeah, She does have a much larger forehead than mine which makes me think it wouldn't look as normal as hers do on her. And thankfully as of now I have very thick hair… I have to get it thinned so much every time i get a haircut. So hopefully it would help thin out my hair kinda? I'm not very knowing in the subjects of hair though. So please keep giving me advise… >.> And I'm kinda worried about the upkeep of the bangs, but hopefully I would catch the hang of trimming my hair. I have to trim my boyfriends hair all the time and he has bangs i guess you could say. They go to about his eyebrows. But i know that the bangs upkeep would be quite the extra work. Thank you for all your advice :)

:cheese:random dancing cheese! :)

fairystar32
October 30th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I like fringes/bangs (still find it weird saying bangs LOL)

But then, I do not think its a fad for me, as I have had pretty chunky fringes since I was a small child...
They come in and out but I have, of the most, always had them
I did grow them out for a short time but they looked awful and even DH asked if I was cutting them back in!!

I am having slightly thicker ones cut in, in a few weeks as I have done whispy, thick and none and prefer thick.

I actually think a lot of people look great with them.
Good luck xxxxx

Anainwonderland
October 30th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I dont think there is any harm in trying. If you dont like them u can just side braid or pin them back till they grow out. I LOVE her and her bangs. She said in an interview she has had the same hair cut and bangs since she was 2 lol

Amber_Maiden
October 30th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I think it would look good! you have the face for it! :)

Kristin
October 30th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I had blunt bangs last year. They are so cute! I definitely think you should do it, so long as you don't mind washing/styling them on a daily basis. You may want to think about your waves as well; if your fringe gets wet it will probably curl up.

Tips: Again, you will likely need to wash them daily, or at least dampen and re-style. I blow-dried mine. You have to blow them to the left, right, straight up, and then down in order to get them to go right down and not be flat. I often spritzed mine with hairspray, too.

Anywhere
October 30th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I think it'd look good, but looking at those pictures and how thick the bangs are makes my eye muscles hurt. I guess they haven't forgotten how much they strained to focus with my bangs. :p

but personally your current hair is what I am trying to get my hair to be like. so obviously if I had your hair I wouldn't.

Lissandria
October 30th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I have quirky, blunt cut, almost too-short fringe, my face to fringe ratio is something like 25/75. I say go for it! I think it would suit you.
Good point some others have made about fringes getting annoying when doing physical labour etc, I pin mine them back neatly/wear a headband when I don't want them! But I guess it depends on your hair, this would be much harder with thick/coarse hair.

buttercupmcgee
October 30th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I will never go back. They give my hair style, they bring out my eyes, they kick my style up a million notches, they inspire me to dress better, they look cuter with hair accessories, and they just all around rock.

Yeah, frequent trims are necessary, but you'll get the hang of doing them yourself. The wispies on the side are key. I bring a picture of ZD in a ponytail to my guy when I need a refresh.

I wash mine every other day-ish, baby powder in between works wonders and makes them even cuter, IMO.

If you don't like them, grow them out, no biggie. But I'm so glad I cut mine 5 years ago!

As for them being a fad, they've actually been around forever. See: Jane Birkin and Anna Karina as a few examples.

I say go for it!

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Another reply post:

I think they would look amazing!
I am annoyed that I logged on and saw this thread as I think I am now gonna do the same as I have been dithering over it for a couple of month...!
Thank you! and I've been pondering over this for about a month or two now. haha

OK you asked. I'm not fond of that look on anyone. I think it's too much hair on the face. I don't think it's flattering on anyone. JMO. I think it's a fad thing right now Personally, wouldn't want to grow out bangs that are cut that far back. Start with a few wispy strands and go from there. I think you look gorgeous now.
Thank you for your advise. And thank you for your compliment And I think if I do get this type of cut I would start smaller and go deeper if it was good.

I love those kinds of bangs, and I think it would suit you. Just make sure it dosent get too top heavy, as in too much hair in the bangs from the top of your head. Better to start slow, and take more if you feel you need it. Good luck
Thank you and yeah, I think I'd try to go with a not as deep cut and if it looked good that way I could experiment to a deeper cut only if it seems like it would look good.

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Here's another batch of replies!:)

I think you should get them, you would suit it for sure. Only reason not to cut would be if you want to grow them back if you get bored...remember they will take a while to grow out if they are so deep.
Thank you :) and you add a good point, if I cut them I'd have to let them grow back out if I got bored of them/didn't like them. I guess if they didn't work out and I got them I would be using a whole LOT of bobby pins and other things to pin them back, haha :)

I agree with Carolyn. Plus you have lovely eyes and jawline. I think your hair now suits that. But you're young so have fun and do what you want!
Thank you :) You are the sweetest. And I kinda just want to totally switch up my look for the fun of it. Like one of those, why not things, which goes straight to what you said about being young and having fun. If it works out badly at least I'll have a funny story when I get older :) hehe

It is actually kind of hard to tell without being able to see your nose. I know that sounds weird but bangs draw a lot of attention to the nose.

Just looking at your hair though I would vote no. It kind of looks like your hair sticks up the same way mine does around your part. I had side swept bangs which hide that somewhat and even with those it was a pain. The bangs would always part oddly.
I'll just post the picture of my face without the blur :) haha. And I'd love to hear your feedback on if it's a good or bad look. It's always good to hear it first before I get the haircut in case it's awful. haha :) and where do you find clip on bangs? At a shop or a salon?
And it would be awful to find out my hair parts badly for bangs, but I guess I could let them turn into side bangs if they parted oddly. :) haha
http://s1.postimage.org/iiqhpr4tb/Graison_Pic.jpg

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I like her bangs but she has huge hair all around to balance the thick bangs. If you wear your hair similarly than go for it. But start off slowly. Don't make the bangs as thick. You can always increase the thickness but you can't exactly grow them out that easily.
I think her hair takes a lot of work before it looks like it does. So I agree with your statement of taking things slowly and not making them super thick at first. Cause my hair can be pretty huge but as of right now I don't pay much attention to it cause it generally resides back in a pony tail. But if I were to get a haircut like this I'd leave it down more often I think. Although on zooey her hair looks cute back in a pony tail cause of her wispies she has on her sides like I posted in the first post. :) Ahh, so many decisions. I never knew deciding on a hair cut would be so hard. haha :) Sorry for my rambling. Thank you so much for your advice :)

I think you have a very nice sized forehead.
I always think of blunt bangs for those with big foreheads like myself lol
This might sound weird, but I really wish i had a bigger forehead now so I could get this awesome haircut. :) hehe
Cause I love this look so much. I'm jealous of you.

You should go for it, but out of peresonal exprience: it could be a bit annoying having bangs with waves like yours... ;)
Thanks for your advice. And I was thinking about that. I had side bangs at some point. I controlled them with my straightener, but some days they'd kinda be straight just cause? I'm not sure why but the hair from the top front of my head normally seemed to be straighter than the rest of my head. For some reason I don't have many pictures of my side bangs. I guess my hair grew out pretty quickly. haha.

Debra83
October 30th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I think they would look great on you, and now I'm missing mine!!!! Two week rule!!!

Demetrue
October 30th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Well, because you have a side part and a kind of widow's peak/cowlick at the middle (Marilyn Monroe and Veronica Lake had similar hairlines) I think your bangs are always going to want to part and go to each side. I think it will be work to make the front straight and actually cover your forehead. You may have to wet them every morning and use gel or flat iron them. And, the rest of your hair will feel thinner. That being said, you would look great with or without bangs.

UltraBella
October 30th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I think they would be flattering on you.
I just cut bangs a few weeks ago and I like how they look but the feeling of bangs on my forehead is driving me crazy. I am hoping I will get used to it.
Good luck !!!

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Hello again, this is another massive post reply to multiple people.

I think your face shape would suit it, although mostly I'm with Carolyn. Do you do things that get you all sweaty, like work out or garden or hit the house-cleaning with gusto? It's reallyreallyreally annoying to have hair sticking to your forehead when you're busy. Plus the length will only have about a 3-week window of being at the right spot. Next thing you know, they'll be in your eyes and need a trim.
I don't do things that make me sweaty except for playing ultimate frisbee on the weekend, but I would put my bangs back in a headband or something. And I'm hoping that when/if i get the hair cut that I will learn to trim them myself, cause once a professional goes in and gives them their basic shape I could hopefully retrace (cut) my bangs back to how they should go. :)

I think that the vast majority of people look better without bangs. Including Zooey Deschanel:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/651/nobangs.png
I think it gives zooey the nice vintage look, plus her forehead is pretty big. It actually freaks me out a bit to see her without bangs. :P haha, but that's just me :)

I love that look, I think you can pull it off, BUT you do have a short forehead.. (okay I looked a second time and it's normal, I'm just used to my enormous fivehead haha never mind!).

But, I think you don't NEED them (I, for example, really need bangs). They will be awful to grow out!

But again, they can look cute.. but honestly? I vote for no! I just like your look now :)
haha, and your forehead doesn't look too big, and I love your hair, it's very cute and vintage looking.
and I'm debating on bangs just cause i want to switch up my style a little bit. Try something new and crazy :)

If you usually air dry your hair (and stil have fabulous hair like in your photo) then you might get sick of having to style your bangs. I found that my bangs didn't sit nicely unless they were blowdried, and they would get oilier then the rest of my hair, as I have fairly oily skin.

On the plus side, you can wash just your bangs and they don't take that long to blowdry...

I think they would look great on you, but you have great hair as it is as well. Please post again with a photo if you do cut bangs...:)
I've thought of the getting sick of styling my bangs part, at some point I had side bangs and had to style them but they grew out and now I kinda want to skip the step of sidebangs and go for the real ones. :) And thanks for your tips about the upkeep of the bangs and such. Also I will definitely post again with a photo if I do cut my bangs! :)

I like fringes/bangs (still find it weird saying bangs LOL)

But then, I do not think its a fad for me, as I have had pretty chunky fringes since I was a small child...
They come in and out but I have, of the most, always had them
I did grow them out for a short time but they looked awful and even DH asked if I was cutting them back in!!

I am having slightly thicker ones cut in, in a few weeks as I have done whispy, thick and none and prefer thick.

I actually think a lot of people look great with them.
Good luck xxxxx
haha, I find it weird saying bangs too. And I had bangs when I was 3 or something but then it grew out and since I played sports all my life I've never gotten a "cute" hair cut with bangs just cause they normally get in the way for sports, so now that I'm not playing sports I finally want to get a cute haircut that isn't just plain long hair like I was stuck with. haha. And I would love to see pictures of your bangs if you don't mind posting any up. :)

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I dont think there is any harm in trying. If you dont like them u can just side braid or pin them back till they grow out. I LOVE her and her bangs. She said in an interview she has had the same hair cut and bangs since she was 2 lol

Woah, that is a long time to have a haircut for. haha. And you add a good point that I could just pin them back or put them up in different ways if I don't like them. Plus I don't think I'd get as deep of bangs as hers. I'd probably start small then go bigger. :)

misstwist
October 30th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I agree with Carolyn and Ms Bubbles.

It looks to me like you have a cowlick in your hairline. You would have to really work against the nature of your hair to get those kinds of bangs to lay correctly.

Good luck!

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I think it would look good! you have the face for it! :)

:):):):) Thank you very much :):):):)

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I had blunt bangs last year. They are so cute! I definitely think you should do it, so long as you don't mind washing/styling them on a daily basis. You may want to think about your waves as well; if your fringe gets wet it will probably curl up.

Tips: Again, you will likely need to wash them daily, or at least dampen and re-style. I blow-dried mine. You have to blow them to the left, right, straight up, and then down in order to get them to go right down and not be flat. I often spritzed mine with hairspray, too.
I think I wouldn't mind styling them since they would look a lot cuter than what my hair is now. Fashion pays it's price. haha. And thank your for your tips on how to get bangs to cooperate. If you don't mind do you have any pictures of your bangs from last year? I would love to see them! :)

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I have quirky, blunt cut, almost too-short fringe, my face to fringe ratio is something like 25/75. I say go for it! I think it would suit you.
Good point some others have made about fringes getting annoying when doing physical labour etc, I pin mine them back neatly/wear a headband when I don't want them! But I guess it depends on your hair, this would be much harder with thick/coarse hair.
I'd love to see a picture of what your bangs look like! Only if you don't mind posting one. :) And thanks for the advice. I think it would be a little tougher to pin my (future(if i get them)) bangs up cause of what you mentioned 'thick hair' but I guess I will see.

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I will never go back. They give my hair style, they bring out my eyes, they kick my style up a million notches, they inspire me to dress better, they look cuter with hair accessories, and they just all around rock.

Yeah, frequent trims are necessary, but you'll get the hang of doing them yourself. The wispies on the side are key. I bring a picture of ZD in a ponytail to my guy when I need a refresh.

I wash mine every other day-ish, baby powder in between works wonders and makes them even cuter, IMO.

If you don't like them, grow them out, no biggie. But I'm so glad I cut mine 5 years ago!

As for them being a fad, they've actually been around forever. See: Jane Birkin and Anna Karina as a few examples.

I say go for it!
Thank you for the advice. And I was wondering if you could share a picture of your bangs with me? I'd love to see what they look like! :) And I really like the idea of me dressing nicer to match my (hopefully) bangs. Also I'm hoping they would look good with my hair color. I was thinking of maybe dying to a slightly darker shade of brown even. but it is all in the thought process still. and woah, looking at Anna Karina I think I now see where ZD got her style from. Their hair is almost exactly the same. :doh:

And I am in love with the wispies on the side. They are so cute. and I like to wear my hair up a great deal, so they would keep the cute look with my hair up as well. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Also I love the idea of bangs bringing out my eyes, I think I would even start to wear some eyeliner for once in my life to compliment the bangs. :) Gosh, the thought of bangs is making me more fashionable by the second. :) hehe

Also hair accessories make me very excited too. I want to look cute!!! <3

You just made me so excited about bangs!!!:)

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Well, because you have a side part and a kind of widow's peak/cowlick at the middle (Marilyn Monroe and Veronica Lake had similar hairlines) I think your bangs are always going to want to part and go to each side. I think it will be work to make the front straight and actually cover your forehead. You may have to wet them every morning and use gel or flat iron them. And, the rest of your hair will feel thinner. That being said, you would look great with or without bangs.
Thank you very much for your advice. :) And yeah, i think my hair likes to part in the middle, but I try to stop it from doing that. I had side bangs earlier this year, but I never trimmed them to maintain them so they went away/grew out. I kinda learned how to flatiron them into position, so I'm hoping that I can learn to fix bangs as well. And thank you again. :)

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I think they would be flattering on you.
I just cut bangs a few weeks ago and I like how they look but the feeling of bangs on my forehead is driving me crazy. I am hoping I will get used to it.
Good luck !!!

I would love to see a picture of your bangs if you don't mind posting one!! :) Also I love your hair, it's so gorgeous!!!

And i had never though about bangs being weird to feel on my forehead. I guess I will only find out if it annoys me if i get bangs. haha, and I hope you get used to them as well! :)

graciefu
October 30th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I agree with Carolyn and Ms Bubbles.

It looks to me like you have a cowlick in your hairline. You would have to really work against the nature of your hair to get those kinds of bangs to lay correctly.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, and I think if i get them I will probably have a struggle making them do what I want, but hopefully (if i get them) I will learn a way to tame them well. haha :)

UltraBella
October 30th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Sure, I've got a pic :)
By the way, I have a cowlick in my bangs. I just barely wet them and blowdry them under in the morning. It takes about 1 minute and then they don't part there.

Here you go :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/photobucket-20949-1318568314460.jpg

graciefu
October 31st, 2011, 12:08 AM
Sure, I've got a pic :)
By the way, I have a cowlick in my bangs. I just barely wet them and blowdry them under in the morning. It takes about 1 minute and then they don't part there.

Here you go :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/photobucket-20949-1318568314460.jpg
Ultrabella - thanks for the pic :) Your bangs looks absolutly beautiful! And thank you for the advice on the cowlick! Do you use a round brush when blowdrying them? I have a blowdryer but I use it once in a blue moon cause most the time my hair ends up looking like I was electrocuted instead of dried, haha :P

UltraBella
October 31st, 2011, 12:15 AM
Ultrabella - thanks for the pic :) Your bangs looks absolutly beautiful! And thank you for the advice on the cowlick! Do you use a round brush when blowdrying them? I have a blowdryer but I use it once in a blue moon cause most the time my hair ends up looking like I was electrocuted instead of dried, haha :P

I use a rat tail comb, much more precise.

FrozenBritannia
October 31st, 2011, 08:59 AM
Here is a pic of my bangs. I've had them like this on and off for about 6 years. (this pic is a few years old but I'm usually on the other side of the camera haha)
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j453/FrozenBritannia/hair/11.jpg

I never did anything to my bangs unless my cowlick was acting up, and then they just looked like side bangs.

buttercupmcgee
October 31st, 2011, 01:11 PM
Thank you for the advice. And I was wondering if you could share a picture of your bangs with me? I'd love to see what they look like! :) And I really like the idea of me dressing nicer to match my (hopefully) bangs. Also I'm hoping they would look good with my hair color. I was thinking of maybe dying to a slightly darker shade of brown even. but it is all in the thought process still. and woah, looking at Anna Karina I think I now see where ZD got her style from. Their hair is almost exactly the same. :doh:

And I am in love with the wispies on the side. They are so cute. and I like to wear my hair up a great deal, so they would keep the cute look with my hair up as well. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Also I love the idea of bangs bringing out my eyes, I think I would even start to wear some eyeliner for once in my life to compliment the bangs. :) Gosh, the thought of bangs is making me more fashionable by the second. :) hehe

Also hair accessories make me very excited too. I want to look cute!!! <3

You just made me so excited about bangs!!!:)

Yay! Ok, scroll down a few posts for pictures of my bangs--Spidermom helped me figure out how to post them.

Also, check out 500 Days of Summer if you haven't already....major ZD Bangspiration (and she doesn't have big hair in that movie;-))

Good luck!

:-)

spidermom
October 31st, 2011, 01:31 PM
That's a private album, buttercupmcgee; no access.

Did I read that original post right? You brush your wet hair? Don't do that! If anything, comb it out from bottom up with a wide-tooth comb, preferably with conditioner in your hair.

buttercupmcgee
October 31st, 2011, 02:40 PM
That's a private album, buttercupmcgee; no access.

Did I read that original post right? You brush your wet hair? Don't do that! If anything, comb it out from bottom up with a wide-tooth comb, preferably with conditioner in your hair.

Actually it's just password protected. The password is in my original post: thelhc.

spidermom
October 31st, 2011, 02:41 PM
Well phooey! I guess I skimmed over too fast and missed that; sorry buttercupmcgee.

buttercupmcgee
October 31st, 2011, 02:44 PM
Well phooey! I guess I skimmed over too fast and missed that; sorry buttercupmcgee.

No worries! Actually now it's not working, hmm. (ETA--it's working now, gahh! weird) But still--sorry to ask this here but it seems relevant and I've had no luck asking before---what's the trick to posting an image in the body of an email, not a link?

spidermom
October 31st, 2011, 02:52 PM
The only trick I know to posting images is to post them first on a server like photobucket, then click on the image, copy (cntrl-C) the fourth line down, the IMG line, and paste (cntrl-V) it here.

buttercupmcgee
October 31st, 2011, 03:01 PM
The only trick I know to posting images is to post them first on a server like photobucket, then click on the image, copy (cntrl-C) the fourth line down, the IMG line, and paste (cntrl-V) it here.

Ok let me have a crack at it...(ETA yay! Thanks Spidermom!)

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i396/buttercupmcgee/jpg.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i396/buttercupmcgee/bangs.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i396/buttercupmcgee/bangs3.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i396/buttercupmcgee/bangs2.jpg

misspurdy06
October 31st, 2011, 04:12 PM
Your forehead is a little short for bangs. If the line of the bangs goes back far enough then maybe.

FrozenBritannia
October 31st, 2011, 04:38 PM

I must say, you really rock the bangs! You're very pretty :)

AlicesPlatforms
October 31st, 2011, 08:24 PM
I think you should go for it! Your hair doesn't seem to have too much of a cowlick, and those bangs are pretty long. I have a cowlick, and I'm growing my bangs out to a similar look(they used to be Bettie Page esque) and I can say right now, they're really easy to take care of in comparison(I have a cowlick and I used to have to put product on my bangs to keep them down when they were shorter)!

I think they would look really cute too btw :)

fairystar32
October 31st, 2011, 08:33 PM
Can someone enlighten me... :)

What is a cowlick??

graciefu
October 31st, 2011, 08:54 PM
Here is a pic of my bangs. I've had them like this on and off for about 6 years. (this pic is a few years old but I'm usually on the other side of the camera haha)
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j453/FrozenBritannia/hair/11.jpg

I never did anything to my bangs unless my cowlick was acting up, and then they just looked like side bangs.
Thank you for sharing your picture. I love the bangs! they look so good on you!!! :) And that's a good thing that the bangs just turn into sidebangs if they act up. If i get the haircut then I hope my cowlick (if it does act up) does the same thing. :)

spidermom
October 31st, 2011, 08:58 PM
Yay buttercupmcgee; glad I could help. You look good with bangs. I can't really do the bangs thing; they squash in my face.

graciefu
October 31st, 2011, 09:01 PM

Your bangs are so pretty buttercupmcgee!!! I think they look even better than ZD's bangs!! :) And you are so pretty!!! I'm so jealous of you! I hope that style will look even 1/10th as good in my color of hair.

Random question: do you think my forehead (judging from my picture) is about the same size as yours? I'm just wondering, cause the main thing that gives me doubts about if this haircut will look good on me is that my forehead is too small to accommodate for the bangs?

And I do love ZD bangs in 500 days of summer, good suggestion on pictures to look at. :)

graciefu
October 31st, 2011, 09:06 PM
Can someone enlighten me... :)

What is a cowlick??
Somebody can correct me if I say this a little wrong, but a cowlick is essentially a patch of hair that either sticks up or grows not in the same direction with the rest of your hair. Basically it's that one piece of hair that won't cooperate with you and you have to tame it with a blowdryer, straightner, or products and other methods. I hope that helps. :)

fairystar32
October 31st, 2011, 09:16 PM
My hubby and DS have a piece of hair at the top of their head, like that when they need a haircut :)
I had no idea why so many where mentioning it or what it actually was...

graciefu
October 31st, 2011, 09:36 PM
I think you should go for it! Your hair doesn't seem to have too much of a cowlick, and those bangs are pretty long. I have a cowlick, and I'm growing my bangs out to a similar look(they used to be Bettie Page esque) and I can say right now, they're really easy to take care of in comparison(I have a cowlick and I used to have to put product on my bangs to keep them down when they were shorter)!

I think they would look really cute too btw :)

Thank you :) Also I saw that you are a cosmetology student (I saw your blog, which is awesome btw, I'd follow, but I don't have a blogspot :P). I was wondering if you have any tips on how you style bangs? Or how to make them look cute? The closest to bangs that I've ever had was sidebangs and I used a straightner on them every once in a while if they didn't cooperate, but I'm assuming that was very bad for my hair. Also do you think i should keep the same shade of hair or go a little bit darker brown? Sorry I'm bombarding you with so many questions, I just feel like your opinion is 10938409238 better than mine. :)

AlicesPlatforms
October 31st, 2011, 11:03 PM
Thank you :) Also I saw that you are a cosmetology student (I saw your blog, which is awesome btw, I'd follow, but I don't have a blogspot :P). I was wondering if you have any tips on how you style bangs? Or how to make them look cute? The closest to bangs that I've ever had was sidebangs and I used a straightner on them every once in a while if they didn't cooperate, but I'm assuming that was very bad for my hair. Also do you think i should keep the same shade of hair or go a little bit darker brown? Sorry I'm bombarding you with so many questions, I just feel like your opinion is 10938409238 better than mine. :)

You're welcome, and thanks! I don't mind answering questions :)
I can't completely speak for your hair type, and texture, but this stuff works for my bangs.

To get bangs to lay down more, a good texturizer(I use garnier fructis "pure clean" in strong, it's the one in the tube) will make them lay down if you apply just a little bit at the root, and comb through(this will weigh them down).

A good rat tail, or other close toothed comb will make your bangs look nice and neat! I always use one in the morning xD

That's pretty much it, they really aren't that high maintenance.
I think the darker brown would look nice too, it would bring out your eyes :D
I hope that was helpful :)

Bazinga
November 1st, 2011, 12:48 AM
I think it would look good on you because you have wavy hair. I had blunt bangs once and with my straight and fine hair it really didn't look good. I think hair needs a little more structure for these bangs so I think it would be nice on you.

buttercupmcgee
November 1st, 2011, 07:54 AM
Your bangs are so pretty buttercupmcgee!!! I think they look even better than ZD's bangs!! :) And you are so pretty!!! I'm so jealous of you! I hope that style will look even 1/10th as good in my color of hair.

Random question: do you think my forehead (judging from my picture) is about the same size as yours? I'm just wondering, cause the main thing that gives me doubts about if this haircut will look good on me is that my forehead is too small to accommodate for the bangs?

And I do love ZD bangs in 500 days of summer, good suggestion on pictures to look at. :)

Wow, that is the ultimate compliment! Watch out, Deschanel! :-)

Thanks very much, glad I could help. Here is my forehead without bangs:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i396/buttercupmcgee/227396_10150263830645761_639960760_9115773_5389312 _n-1.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i396/buttercupmcgee/n639960760_3141008_329553.jpg

I don't exactly have a small forehead, but I don't think it's mutant-large either . My bangs also start a couple inches into my hairline.

It's somewhat difficult for me to tell about your forehead from your picture because it seems like you may be scrunching your face up a little bit, but I'd say you have a very normal-sized forehead.

But, it's not just about forehead size. Anne Hathaway has a small-ish forehead relative to the rest of her face, and looks great in bangs.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i396/buttercupmcgee/anne-hathaway-2.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i396/buttercupmcgee/Anne_Hathaway_Bangs1.jpg

In fact I think it improves her look--it's softer, more chic.

In my opinion, it's about overall face shape and the way you wear your bangs and hair in general.

If you're going for the longer/more rumpled ZD bangs, then when you see your stylist make sure to tell him or her you want the hair to fall right below your eyebrows, and no shorter.

It should be a flirty, top-of-eyelash fringe, and have some "bend" to it--ideally not hitting all in one pin-straight line at your eyebrows. Does that make sense? If you look at ZD's bangs, they usually move and swoop a bit and aren't like precise a wall of hair.

Also, you may want to mention that you don't want it textured. One time I forgot this last part and ended up with layered bangs--some pieces hitting at the middle of my forehead.

Either way, change is fun! Keep me posted!

buttercupmcgee
November 1st, 2011, 08:09 AM
I must say, you really rock the bangs! You're very pretty :)

Thank you for the compliment! Always a nice thing to wake up to :o

tanpopokitty
November 1st, 2011, 10:40 AM
Ohhh I think you look super cute as you are! You will probably look super cute with the bangs too, but realize that they'll probably be a bit annoying to deal with. If you don't like to fuss with your hair, I wouldn't get them. :p

spike316
November 1st, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hey there! I had bangs for about two years and just recently started growing them out because I started doing more intense workouts and they're just too much of a hassle. I'll probably get them again sometime, but for now I'm excited that I can finally get them to stay up in a french braid!
I'm going to go upload some photos from when I've had bangs though, so if you're interested you can check those out. ^_^ I say go for it! But, as you'll see in my pictures, I'm a firm believer in experimentation.

silverjen
November 1st, 2011, 07:20 PM
I've had bangs for ages, and they are really low maintenance for me.

I have kind of a whole-bang cowlick. The entire thing wants to shoot off to the left, like a Nike swoosh. All I do to tame them is wet them each morning, comb them in the opposite direction of the swoosh, and keep 'em there until they are bone dry. Then I comb again, and they stay well-behaved all day.

As far as getting them cut in, I suggest you go to a salon the first time. Once they are in, they should be easy to maintain yourself. There are a ton of videos on YouTube on cutting bangs. Watch a few of these, and you'll get the hang of it.

archel
November 1st, 2011, 07:39 PM
Well I think they'd look great on you, but do be aware that you will need to style them and if you're used to just air drying, you may not like the extra work involved. I am loving mine though and I just quickly blow dry them and let the rest air dry, so it's no trouble really.

graciefu
November 4th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Wow, that is the ultimate compliment! Watch out, Deschanel! :-)

Thanks very much, glad I could help. Here is my forehead without bangs:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i396/buttercupmcgee/227396_10150263830645761_639960760_9115773_5389312 _n-1.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i396/buttercupmcgee/n639960760_3141008_329553.jpg

I don't exactly have a small forehead, but I don't think it's mutant-large either . My bangs also start a couple inches into my hairline.

It's somewhat difficult for me to tell about your forehead from your picture because it seems like you may be scrunching your face up a little bit, but I'd say you have a very normal-sized forehead.

But, it's not just about forehead size. Anne Hathaway has a small-ish forehead relative to the rest of her face, and looks great in bangs.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i396/buttercupmcgee/anne-hathaway-2.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i396/buttercupmcgee/Anne_Hathaway_Bangs1.jpg

In fact I think it improves her look--it's softer, more chic.

In my opinion, it's about overall face shape and the way you wear your bangs and hair in general.

If you're going for the longer/more rumpled ZD bangs, then when you see your stylist make sure to tell him or her you want the hair to fall right below your eyebrows, and no shorter.

It should be a flirty, top-of-eyelash fringe, and have some "bend" to it--ideally not hitting all in one pin-straight line at your eyebrows. Does that make sense? If you look at ZD's bangs, they usually move and swoop a bit and aren't like precise a wall of hair.

Also, you may want to mention that you don't want it textured. One time I forgot this last part and ended up with layered bangs--some pieces hitting at the middle of my forehead.

Either way, change is fun! Keep me posted!

Thank you thank you thank you for all the advice. :) You are like a bangs guru! And I loved seeing the picture of Anne Hathaway's bangs cause it really showed that forehead size doesn't make a difference. :) and thank you as well for the advice about saying not to get it textured.

And I get what you say about how the bangs should fall, but I have no idea how I would make my bangs do that. What do you normally do to make it perfect?

graciefu
November 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Hey there! I had bangs for about two years and just recently started growing them out because I started doing more intense workouts and they're just too much of a hassle. I'll probably get them again sometime, but for now I'm excited that I can finally get them to stay up in a french braid!
I'm going to go upload some photos from when I've had bangs though, so if you're interested you can check those out. ^_^ I say go for it! But, as you'll see in my pictures, I'm a firm believer in experimentation.
Did you already upload pictures? I'd love to see how your bangs were!! :)

graciefu
November 4th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I've had bangs for ages, and they are really low maintenance for me.

I have kind of a whole-bang cowlick. The entire thing wants to shoot off to the left, like a Nike swoosh. All I do to tame them is wet them each morning, comb them in the opposite direction of the swoosh, and keep 'em there until they are bone dry. Then I comb again, and they stay well-behaved all day.

As far as getting them cut in, I suggest you go to a salon the first time. Once they are in, they should be easy to maintain yourself. There are a ton of videos on YouTube on cutting bangs. Watch a few of these, and you'll get the hang of it.

Thanks for the great advice. If/when I get them i will probably have to go through a similar ordeal. :)

And that sounds like a good plan to go to a salon first to get the shape then I'd be able to learn to cut them myself. I'd be way to scared to cut them from scratch, :) hehe.

graciefu
November 4th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Well I think they'd look great on you, but do be aware that you will need to style them and if you're used to just air drying, you may not like the extra work involved. I am loving mine though and I just quickly blow dry them and let the rest air dry, so it's no trouble really.

That's great to hear that they aren't too much trouble for you. If I get them too I hope they work with me and not against me. haha. And earlier this year i had side bangs, but they sadly have grown all the way out now. So I was halfway used to styling my bangs. Could you share a picture of your bangs? I'd love to see them!

spike316
November 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Did you already upload pictures? I'd love to see how your bangs were!! :)

Hey there! I forgot to check back on this, I did upload pictures, they're in my pre-lhc album!

jacqueline101
November 7th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I like the bangs.

heidi w.
November 7th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I like hair pretty much to be all one length for uber longhairs, but if you aren't going for that, I think bangs would look nice on you, but the way it is now also looks really nice.

Either way, I'm sure it'll look fine. Do know that with bangs they need more attention than longer hair. You'll have to watch out for overly thick bangs catching up on you and having to thin it somehow for a more whispy effect. That may be a consideration to keep in mind regarding your time and budget.

Whenever I had bangs, they became really thick rapidly, and it always bugged me. Cause it adds to heaviness on the top, and in my case, I wear glasses, and just had all this weight around my eyes.

I have a fairly strong opinion that women generally look better without bangs, but in your case, I think you'd look fine with bangs.

I did not look at your links, though. Keep in mind Zoey has makeup done daily when she's on set, so that's a part of the reason her photos and set images look nice. There's a hair stylist in on the mix, every single time, to attend to little trims and styling as well for each picture of her image. Keep that in mind, too. She has a hair type sort of similar to yours it would seem, although she has more body than you, or so it appears to me. That could be styling, having her be in curlers before being on set, for example. It seems to me they design the curl of her bangs to curl the right "way", which they can do in a controlled setting such as movie making or sitcom making is.

Just some thoughts to keep in mind.

heidi w.

carolinaberry
May 22nd, 2012, 12:28 AM
Did you end up getting the bangs?

Aimskylove
May 22nd, 2012, 12:31 AM
It would look very cute on you! I would def make sue to get wispy bangs! I have had both the blunt kind and wispy. Wispy is easier to style and hide when you dont want it in your face!

iluvlovelylocks
May 22nd, 2012, 01:02 AM
I think you would look good with side swept bangs/side fringe:)

Littlewing13
May 22nd, 2012, 05:15 AM
You would look good with them, however it looks like you have a cowlick in the front there (like me too) it might mean straightening/blowdrying to get it to sit right. It is do-able, just takes work.

MintChocChip
May 22nd, 2012, 09:16 AM
I think Zooey's fringe looks great, however I'd be wary of getting such a blunt fringe. I agree with iluvlovelylocks I think you'd look even more pretty with a side-swept fringe, keeping it gorgeous and wispy. I think that would look really nice on you.

ladylowtide
May 22nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
I am usually the person saying NO! But in this case all I can say is:

Yes Yes Yes!

:cheese:

GlennaGirl
May 22nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
I looked at the bang pics in your album, and wow, bangs really do suit you. I wouldn't go for side bangs, I'd go for somewhat blunt, like in the first pic in your Pre-LHC album with the platinum hair. *Or* go a tad shorter than normal (just above the eyebrow). Your eyes and your cheekbones really, really pop with bangs.

I am jealous. :p I can't seem to do blunt no matter how I try. :p

ETA: Oops, that was in response to another poster, not the OP. I'm confused! So OP. Did you ever decide upon bangs or no?

eezepeeze
May 22nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
Bangs can be fun, but they can also be a huge pain in the butt.

These are my concerns:
1. your hair seems to be a bit wavy...are you really up for straightening your bangs every. single. day. ? My hair is way curly and I have bangs...I speak from experience.

2. she has a LOT of her hair in her bangs...that takes a lot away from the thickness in the back
3. This look can be hard to pull off...its quite funky and quirky and gets a lot of attention...are you up for all the attention and for looking different from everyone?

4. This is a high upkeep style...trims every 2 weeks

5. I'm assuming you are in the US, where it will soon be summer...hot, sticky, humid summer...are you up for dealing with your hair in your face during hot weather/swimming season?

If you feel you can handle all of the above, then i say go for it! If you feel like you want to get your feet wet, you can always ask your stylist for some blunt bangs that aren't so thick.

Good luck!!

terylenerose
May 22nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
(Don't read this if you don't like honest opinions. :))
I like your hair as it is now. I wouldn't do it, but then I'm just not a fan of cutting hair in general. :) I wouldn't call your current hairstyle "plain", just normal looking. If I had hair that was just like yours is now I would be pretty happy. But that's just me. I can't say for sure but I think you may just be thinking the grass is greener on the other side. That's what I thought when I chopped all my hair off, but the grass wasn't really greener. It was dead, if you'll excuse my extension of the idiom.
Maybe this is a bit harsh, but I've seen what seems like a lot of threads regarding whether to cut bangs or not, and everyone's hair is just fine. It's not "severe", it's not "unstyled" and it certainly doesn't "just hang there". What's the matter with having all one length hair? A lot, apparently.
Sorry for that. I just wanted to say it somewhere. Don't bite my head off, anyone. And don't let my comment stop you from cutting bangs if you're really and truly sure you aren't going to be depressed or whatever like I was. Go for it, but only if you want to.

long&blonde
May 22nd, 2012, 04:56 PM
I love the bangs, and think they'd look awesome on you!
My only reservations:do you have curly hair? My 2c hair, bangs stayed unruly with the first sign of humidity:even tho I blew them dry. They poofed up,flipped up;and remember bangs on your face,soaked, 90 defree humid days.
That:and;are you skilled enough to trim bangs yourself?
I've never been,and the regular me in a salon:not just the expense:the terror,lol,but true:nerve wracking.
I think bangs would look beautiful on you. I think hair in the face looks sexy.
I love the first, 50 percent bang,, 50 percent face picture.
If you have answers to my above reservations;I'd do it!
You'll still have long hair!

letibear
May 22nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
I think they would look nice on you. Do what makes you happy.

brave
May 22nd, 2012, 05:23 PM

I agree with this. I love mine. I have thick wavy hair and it helps a lot to get rid of some of the bulk from the sides of my head. I started out with blowdrying them but now I don't. It's easy to wash them in the shower, I just slap a shower cap on the rest of it. I've found they get less greasy when I'm CO.

They're easy to trim, especially now that I have an accuredge (http://search.ulta.com/cosmetics/Accuredge%20Bang%20Trimmer). Lately it's been every week because of summer and there's a fine line between "short and laying nicely" and "one millimeter too long and doing weird wavy things".

bumblebums
May 22nd, 2012, 06:04 PM
About bangs taking away from thickness: I actually tested this by separating the hair that would go into bangs from the rest of my hair, and measured my ponytail. I also made a bun with the remaining hair to see if it was much smaller. It wasn't. You know why? because many people's hair actually has a shorter terminal length around the hairline.

Here is a youtube gal with bangs on a fairly narrow (though high) forehead--and I think they look great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iofaysj5PZY

bumblebums
May 22nd, 2012, 06:07 PM
Did you end up getting the bangs?

Hah, this thread is ancient :) I should really check before commenting on these resurrected opinion threads.

terylenerose
May 22nd, 2012, 07:50 PM
snip
I love the first, 50 percent bang,, 50 percent face picture.
snip

Okay...I have a nit to pick here. It isn't "50/50". Whoever thought it was was imagining things.
I'm done with this thread now. If I say anything more it will probably lead to someone saying "you're being really rude, stop" or something along those lines. It's hard for me to give a totally unbiased answer on bang threads, because I will tend strongly to say no.

Pumpkin3826
January 20th, 2017, 01:47 PM
I think they would look great on you!!! You have a good face shape that they would work well with! I actually just got bangs as well and I brought in a photo of Zooey as my inspiration!! She always has such cute and effortless looking hair.

lapushka
January 20th, 2017, 01:51 PM
I think they would look great on you!!! You have a good face shape that they would work well with! I actually just got bangs as well and I brought in a photo of Zooey as my inspiration!! She always has such cute and effortless looking hair.

The OP posted this roughly 6 years ago. ;)